Overcoming

By Spicychoco

Ethan Knight is living his life just as he imagined it. Being the captain of the basketball team, he has to m... More

Overcoming
Author's note
Aesthetics
Chapter-1|New beginning
Chapter-2|New Faces
Chapter-3| In Red
Chapter-4|The Shot
Chapter-5|The Afterparty
Chapter-6|Blueberry Muffins
Chapter-7|Cheer
Chapter-8|Almost
Chapter-9|In your dreams
Chapter-10|The Lunch
Chapter-11|The Library
Chapter-12|The Beginning of a Mishap
Chapter-13|The Mishap and Beyond
Chapter-14|Afterglow
Chapter-16|Teasing
Chapter-17|The Game
Chapter-18|Let's Celebrate
Chapter-19|Allure
Chapter-20|Family Friend
Chapter-21|The Invitation
Chapter-22|Galleria Of Gems
Chapter-23|Arrivals and Departures
Chapter-24|Late Night Conversations
Chapter-25|Beach Bae
Chapter-26|Butterfly
Chapter-27|Numbed
Chapter-28|Interventions
Chapter-29|Lost
Chapter-30|The End?
Chapter-31|Seven Shots Later
Chapter-32|Closure
Chapter-33|Calls
Chapter-34|Euphoria
Chapter-35|Support
Chapter-36|You>Distance
Chapter-37|Baby's Breath
Chapter-38|Never Apologize
Chapter-39|Teddy Bear
Chapter-40|Mommy Dearest
Chapter-41|Strongest Sperm
Chapter-42|Birthday special
Chapter-43|Pre-Wedding Shenanigans(1)
Chapter-44|Pre-Wedding Shenanigans(2)
Chapter-45|Vows at Sunset
Chapter-46|Fucking Lily
Chapter-47|Rain on Parade
Chapter-48|Welcome To New York
Chapter-49|Parent Problems (1)
Chapter-50|Parent Problems (2)
Chapter-51|The Gala
Chapter-52|Hypocrisy
Chapter-53|All Of Me
Epilogue
Parting Note

Chapter-15|Vulnerability

27K 602 81
By Spicychoco

Last night was different for me in so many ways. First, I slept in a girl's bed and none of us were naked, and second; I stayed the night. I never stay the night. In fact, I make it a point not to but last night, it just kind of happened. One second I was convincing Iris to sleep and the next second I am waking up to a small body cuddled into my chest.

Waking up next to Iris will probably be my highlight of the day. When I woke up, I felt something soft stir next to me. Looking down, I found Iris curled around my chest. She looked so ethereal and peaceful, with the sun casting a glow on her face and on her brown hair. I tried my best to move as little as possible to not wake up the little minx sleeping right next to me.

Right now, she looked like everything; she tried so hard to hide. She looked so innocent, with her lips curling into a small smile, with her arms wrapped around my abdomen. She looked vulnerable with her eyes closed and her long eyelashes resting on her cheekbones. She looked every bit clueless to the cruelty of this world, sleeping like a baby with her knees curled upwards. Iris was all of this, along with being fiercely bold and fearless. She just hid these parts of herself better and all I want to know is why? Why hide such a beautiful part of herself?

I am not dumb enough to think that Iris's life was all rainbow and unicorn before meeting me. Something tells me it was the exact opposite and maybe that's the reason she hides behind her boldness. I want to know about every part that makes Iris Reed. Beautiful, bad, ugly, I want to know it all, but I will never force it out of her. I want her to tell me, and when she does, I'll make sure that I stand beside her every step of the way.

I never wanted a relationship, but looking at the girl sleeping next to me, I can't deny the irresistible urge to make her mine in every way and form. I am ready for a relationship if it means waking up to her beautiful face every morning and ending the day with her in my arms. If having a relationship means that I get to spend more time with her without finding dumb excuses that we both know are lies, then I am ready for it.

Breaking my chains of thoughts, the sleeping beauty started stirring and slowly opened her eyes. I really wanted to say something to dissolve the confused look on her face, but it was too cute to spoil. Slowly realizing everything, she looked up with her doe eyes wide open.

"Good morning." I greeted looking at her with a smile on my face which was becoming more and more difficult to avoid.

"Good morning." She whispered slowly. With the distance that we put between us last night, I half expected her to jolt away from me, so imagine when surprise when she did nothing like that and stayed in the same position.

"You didn't leave last night?" She asked curiously, with a slight smile on her face. That small smile was the only sign that I did not upset her with us sleeping in the same bed.

"I was about to but then I didn't realize when I dozed off." I answered honestly because, to be honest, it's too early in the morning to come up with an excuse.

"Oh." That was all she said before closing her eyes.

"You can't be going back to sleep?" I asked, chuckling.

"Well, I am. I am tired." She mumbled into my chest.

"You are lazy, Reed." I started trying to rile her up.

"I don't know what you are talking about and now, shush. Let me sleep." She said, placing a finger on my lips without even looking up.

Before I could respond further, the sound of the doorbell echoed throughout the apartment.

Fuck! I remember texting Mason to handle Dani and Riley for the night and take care of them, but I forgot they would come back here eventually in the morning.

"It's Riley and Dani, I think. What do we do?" Iris whisper yelled, sitting up as soon as she hears the bell.

"I don't know." I said, thinking of an excuse for why I am here.

"We have to open the door before they get suspicious. Come on." Iris got up and started running her fingers through her hair in an attempt to tame them.

"Yeah let's go." I got up and picked up my jacket from her desk chair.

"Okay, go sit on the couch and I'll get the door." Iris ordered as soon as we entered the living room.

Without waiting for my reply, she moved towards the door and pulled it open to reveal the four familiar faces. Noah, Dani, Mason, and Riley.

"Hey." Iris greeted with a huge smile on her face.

"Oh, my god! You are fine. Where were you last night? You could have at least texted us if you felt sick. Noah had to inform us. And how could you tell us not to come home for you? We were worried sick, Iris." Riley started firing questions at Iris and hugged her tightly with relief. While Riley looked relieved, the other three looked thoroughly amused by Riley's reaction and Iris's dumbfounded expression. Mason probably told Noah and Dani about our sleepover.

"Yeah actually...." Iris said, looking at Noah for help because he was the one who had told Riley this elaborate lie, as far as I can tell.

"Come on Riley. She wasn't feeling well last night. Let the girl breathe." Noah excused, stepping forward and pushing Riley away from Iris, and hugging her himself. I could see the amused expression on Noah's face as he whispered something in Iris's ear, which made her body go very rigid suddenly.

"I was just asking because I was... What are you doing here?" Riley asked mid-sentence as our eyes met.

"Um... I came to meet you." I blurted out the first thing that came to my mind.

"You were not in your room last night. You are still wearing last night's cloth and you disappeared right after you yelled at Ariana! Where the hell were you last night?" Riley said with a raised eyebrow.

"I was out." I stated vaguely.

"Yeah Captain Obvious? I know you were out. You know you can tell me if you are getting laid, instead of making such lame excuses." She said, rolling her eyes and collapsed on the couch.

I looked at the others to see Iris avoid my eyes, thanks to my sister and the other three thoroughly enjoying this disaster.

"I am sure you are doing much better now. I gotta take a shower." Dani said to Iris and walked away to her room.

"Yeah. Okay." Iris narrowed her eyes at her best friend because of her implications.

"Yeah me too." Riley also walked away as Noah, and Mason sat down on the couch.

"So, do we get details?" Noah asked in a low voice, looking at me and Iris with a huge smirk on his face.

"No, you don't." Iris rolled her eyes at his antics and collapsed beside Noah, resting her head on his shoulder. That shoulder could have easily been mine if they didn't interrupt.

"Oh, come on, Reed, I lied for you. I need to know if something at least happened or all of my efforts were in vain?" Noah asked, putting while Mason smirked at me, both of them probably thinking we had sex last night, which we clearly didn't.

"You didn't lie for me. I never asked you to lie. In fact, I never even talked to you last night." Iris stated, looking at me with a smirk.

"Yeah, but someone asked me to lie for you." Noah said.

"Yeah, you better ask that someone for details." Iris said emphasizing on someone.

"Yeah, like that would ever happen. That someone would kill me before I finish the sentence." Noah snorted at the image, making Mason laugh.

I would actually kill him before I give him any details at all. I know it's common for us to talk about our latest conquests, but Iris was different. I would never talk about her like that because a) nothing happened, b) I don't want anyone else imagining her like that, and c) she'll kill me if she ever found out.

"Come on guys, let's go. We have practice today." Mason said, getting up.

"Practice? On Sunday?" Iris asked, looking around in confusion.

"Yeah, we have a match on Friday." Noah said, reminding her.

"Oh, yeah!"

She must know, as she and Dani are on the cheerleading squad and they were preparing a routine for the match.

"Aren't you supposed to know the date?" Noah mused.

"It's nine in the morning. Give me a fucking break." Iris groaned.

"Come on. We have to go. Let me just inform Dani." Mason repeated and started walking towards Dani's room.

"I have to use the restroom." Noah excused, looking between me and Iris.

"That was not subtle." Iris said, looking at the space where Noah was standing.

"Yeah. Subtle and Noah don't go together." I chuckled and moved closer to her.

"I had fun last night." I said genuinely, looking into her eyes.

"Me too." She said, looking back at me.

"Good thing we still have seven more parts to go." She said chuckling and while I smiled, I couldn't help the sadness spreading in my heart at the fact that we'll probably have just seven more nights like the last one.

⤎❁⤏

Hey guys! I hope you enjoyed this very impromptu update! Today was not an update day but I wouldn't be me if I don't randomly post chapters. 

This update is special because you get to see Ethan's emotions as raw as they get but I hope we'll get more raw emotions as the story progresses. Also, you should be very excited about the next update. You should be because I am and it's one of my favorite chapters I'll probably ever write. That update would be coming sooner than expected because I can't wait any longer.

Happy Ramadan to everyone who celebrates this amazing festival :)

Don't forget to vote and comment if you enjoyed this chapter.

QOTD: I'm currently listening to 'watermelon sugar', tell me a song you want to listen to right now!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

425 63 16
"She is broken from the inside. He is broken on the outside. But together, they make something beautiful. Something, beautifully broken." Renae comes...
3M 77.1K 71
COMPLETED Penn State University. Home to the craziest sorority girls, most obnoxious football players, and a girl who never wanted to be there in th...
12K 404 20
Love is the strangest thing, it never happens when you want it too. It almost never happens with who you always thought it would. The world is becomi...
3.9K 591 43
College, the one big reset button that life offers. To Ethan, college represents new friends, new experiences, new romance, and a new set of expectat...