Abducted [W&W Book 3]

By NelleIvy

Ildri is a simple, loquacious girl. She's not looking for adventure and excitement, she is perfectly happy w... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Epilogue
Abducted

Chapter 52

17 9 41
By NelleIvy

When Maxine returned they continued working. She would not say what had happened when she talked to Missus White no matter how much Ildri pestered her. As they worked, Ildri noticed that Anya had her own skilled and efficient potion making style that was different from Maxine's. Next to both of them Ildri felt like a clumsy toddler.

Much like Keziah, who seemed to be a naughty toddler inside her head and a filthy seaman through her mouth. It was sort of annoying when the rabbits and Sabin were so well behaved in comparison.

Not that Ildri had much time to worry about it. They made potions for a few hours quite steadily, until there was a knock on the door.

"Anya? Are you there?"

Anya rushed to the outer door and opened it. "Jim," she said, pulling him into Ildri's main room. Ildri wiped her hands on her dress and walked with Maxine out of her workroom to listen.

"He's calling an assembly in the small dining room shortly, and he would like you three to attend as well," Jim explained.

Damani's head popped out of the door. "What about me? I want to—"

"No, Damani," both Anya and Jim said at the same time.

"I'm sure that Anya will tell us when it is all over," Kallie said, but sounded disappointed too.

"We'd better go," Maxine said.

* * * * *

In a few minutes, Ildri found herself in the small dining room. Keziah had thrown a tantrum that Ildri wanted to leave without her and was now sitting in her cage beside Ildri's bed.

It was odd how her life had changed. She had been in many of the rooms in the castle before but it had always been as a servant. Now she was sitting in one of the seats that had been designed for guests. Not as a servant, but as a... She did not know what she was.

But she was there at the exquisite table now, and she supposed it did not matter in what capacity because before long, everything might be different.

Everyone who had a hand in protecting or running Wildwood seemed to be there, talking in hushed, solemn voices. She could see Missus White sitting rigidly in her chair beside chef and her husband. Allan was sitting next to Maxine and they were talking quietly. She could not help but notice that Ty was almost directly across from her and it was all she could do to not stare at him. Yet it seemed she had every detail of his face etched in her memory though his appearance was so new to her.

Then she realized that he was watching her. She sighed. A part of her just wanted to try to talk to him and tell him how much she missed him, but she did not think that it would change anything. And there were more important things happening, that was why she was here. Not for ridiculous girlish fantasies.

Finally she saw Lord Wildwood walk into the room. Lady Theresa was with him, and she looked upset. Lillie was nowhere sight, she must have been with the nanny. Ildri wondered what it was and wished Anya had just told her to spare her the trepidation.

Lord Wildwood went to the head of the table but did not sit in the ornate chair that waited there. Instead he stood in front of everyone. Ildri would not have known he was not calm but for the way he stood stiffly—his father had the same habit.

"My trusted friends, I would like to thank you all for your time and services here at Wildwood, be it months or be it years. You are all here tonight because I and my father before me have valued your contributions greatly and I feel that the time has come to speak plainly."

Ildri could almost feel the alertness of the crowd in the silence. "We've all heard the rumours of the war. The rumours are dire and I wish that I could tell you that the reality of the situation was less so. But I cannot. There is a great chance that Edelland is no more. The forces of Scelus have taken the capital."

This time, the break in Lord Wildwood's speech was not met with silence, but rather a low whispering. Ty was watching Lord Wildwood intently. Ildri held her breath as he continued. "There are still many castles and troops which belong to those loyal to the king, who will continue to fight. Yet I fear that the rot is so deep that even all of the king's people will be overrun. If this happens, those who stood until the end may suffer the most for it. Scelus has never been rumoured to be merciful conquerors and their own people live largely in despair. Edelland has not always been right nor ideal, but it is by far the better alternative to what will be if we lose. The king's intentions are good, and I have no doubt that had he been allowed to rule our land would have improved. However it was not to be, and we must deal with the time that we are given."

"I shall speak with the other inhabitants of Wildwood after I am finished speaking with all of you who I most trust, but I would like to make a few things clear. Wildwood will stand against our aggressors and for our king even if I am the last man standing to fight for it. All who are with me are welcome here in the castle. However, if someone does not wish to remain, to distance themselves for their own possible safety, they are to be allowed to leave without threat of bodily harm nor insult. We will not keep any friend here against their will, they will depart with peace."

Lord Wildwood paused for a moment, and then continued in a very strong voice. "I and some of my trusted companions will be taking a force to the capital. We do not know how the king and his family fare but we will do what we can. Other estates will do the same and we will be their beside them. I will now ask those who are willing to join me to discuss what needs to be done tonight. All others I would ask to remain ready to make preparations for the journey this very night."

Lord Wildwood then called out who he wished to speak with and Ildri was shocked that to hear her name among the number, along with his wife, Ty, Jim, Sir Thomas, Missus White, chef and a few others. She waited at the table while those who had not been called filed out, feeling very out of place but with a secret pleasure that Lord Wildwood was relying upon her to help. At last, perhaps she could repay him for what he and his father had done for her.

Lord Wildwood sat down and everyone moved to the seats closest to him. He began to outline plans that had been made. Ildri did not know much about military matters but she could not fail to understand when Ty readily agreed to go along. She felt a twinge of fear through her heart. She did not want him going on a possibly hopeless quest. She wanted him to...

The planning continued and Ildri was called upon a couple of times to speak of potion supplies and other things related to her new job, and she was quite certain that she stuttered and looked the fool. Yet she was still pleased to be contributing in some small way.

When the meeting finally ended, everyone began to file out. As Ildri waited she saw Lady Theresa move towards Lord Wildwood and speak to him softly, but not so softly that she could not hear. She tried not to listen but failed.

"Why does it always need to be you? Send someone else," she heard Lady Theresa say in a surprisingly shrill tone.

"You know it is my duty. Perhaps I am paying for the many years I ignored affairs of state before I met you," he said slowly. "I may not have contributed to the injustices that were committed, but by ignoring them I became guilty all the same."

"I don't think you're guilty. You're a good man, and I don't want to lose you."

"I would rather stay here with you more than anything. I love you, Theresa. But I can't just sit here while the country implodes upon itself. I want Lillie and you to have a good future."

"And you, too," she corrected.

"With me," he agreed.

"But you could die. I can't live without you!" she said in a broken voice.

He pulled her close. "You would live, for Lillie."

"I'm sorry. I'm being selfish."

"No, I'm sorry. I would feel the same way if it was you," Lord Wildwood said in a soft tone.

"One of these days we should switch roles. I'll run out into danger and you can stay home and wait."

"Not a chance," he smiled.

Lady Theresa clutched the necklace around her throat. "I still think I think I should come with you."

Lord Wildwood's voice was gentle but firm. "We've already talked about this Theresa. Lillie needs you."

"Lillie needs you too." Lady Theresa scowled at him. "Just be careful, Wildwood. I'll kill you if you die on me."

"We wouldn't want that. I'll be careful, I promise."

The crowd finally moved forward enough that Ildri could exit. She quickly moved from the room.

* * * * *

Outside the room people were clustered in small groups which was probably why it had taken Ildri so long to escape the small dining room. She saw Ty lounging on a chair as if he had not a care in the world, although she knew differently. He was talking to Sir Thomas. Ildri went the other way, not to avoid him, she told herself, but because she wanted to find chef.

Anya and Jim were sitting with their heads together. She must have waited outside the meeting for him to emerge. He was explaining what had been decided.

"I'm going, too," Anya said.

"I knew you would want to. But Anya, I don't believe we'll be taking any women along."

Anya looked annoyed. "Why? You don't think we can take care of ourselves? That I am not fully capable of—"

"That's not it. It's simply your presence will be distracting. It's better if you stay behind," he explained quietly. "And I don't want you there. I want you here where you are safe."

Anya shifted her head. "It's hardly safe anywhere anymore."

"Still, Anya, it is safer here. And you can help protect Wildwood. Someone has to stay behind to take care of those who cannot. Like your brother and sister."

"You fight dirty, Jim."

"I want you safe."

"I want you safe, too. At least you'll take some potions, right?"

"Of course."

And Jim kissed Anya, and Ildri felt acute embarrassment flood through her. It suddenly occurred to her that she had been eavesdropping again. She and moved away quickly towards where she had last seen chef and ran smack into a hard chest.

She looked up straight into Ty's face, and jumped backward. "Sorry," she mumbled, certain that her face was beet red.

"Ildri," Ty said and then stopped, as if he did not know what to say.

"I guess I'm just nervous," she babbled. "You know, with all the battles and war and all that." Then she remembered his stance on women being told about war and realized what she said, and added, "But I'm still glad that I was included, because not knowing is far worse than knowing, right? Because I would have known that something was going on and..." She realized that she sounded like an idiot and worse that it was in front of Ty. Not that it mattered how she looked to him, but still...

He looked amused, which probably indicated she did look ridiculous. She turned to flee, but he caught her by the wrist. "I just wanted to..." he let her wrist drop.

An awkward silence fell between them, and Ildri said the first thing that came into her mind. "Just be careful, please." She immediately wished she could take back the words. But it did not matter, she really did want him to be careful.

He was watching her intently, and she wished she could disappear. "Will you be upset if I die?" he asked.

I'll never stop crying, she thought. But she could not say that. "Of course," she agreed. "Just take care of yourself. I'll be upset if anyone does not come back." Especially you.

"I'll be careful, Ildri," he said, and he walked away towards the exit of the room.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

346K 22K 36
The ink had barely dried on Stephanie's final high school exam and already she has been offered a job. A job as a personal assistant to the son of a...
570K 20.6K 49
The story of a werewolf king and a hybrid vampire. • KING • || a supreme ruler, sovereign over a nation or a territory, of higher rank than any othe...
1.8K 565 48
Anya is a user of external magic, a witch, bonded to a crow familiar. She and her elder brother Gabe work together to pay off the debts incurred by...
2.3M 85.3K 48
"What are you doing here?" I gulped at the hoarse voice. Instead of replying, I stared at Maria's corpse lying on the floor. "You smell so sweet." I...