The Broken Ballerina | Wanda...

By Rainbow-Candy

"How could the emotions of a monster be valid?" Anya Romanoff struggled to forget her past and realise she wa... More

playlist | summary | cast
part one
chapter one
chapter two
chapter three
chapter four
chapter five
chapter six
chapter seven
chapter eight
chapter nine
chapter ten
chapter eleven
chapter twelve
chapter thirteen
part two
chapter fourteen
chapter fifteen
chapter sixteen
chapter seventeen
part three
chapter nineteen
chapter twenty
chapter twenty-one

chapter eighteen

1.8K 66 29
By Rainbow-Candy

---

We'd stopped to pick up Scott Lang aka Ant-Man. No idea who he was, to be honest, but he was kind of funny. He slept most of the ride over. I practically jumped out of the van. It was cramped and uncomfortable. 

"You know I wouldn't have called if I had any other choice," Steve told as Clint greeted him. 

"Hey, man, you're doing me a favour. Besides, I owe a debt," Clint reassured 

"Thanks for having my back," Cap spoke, turning to Wanda and I.

Wanda shrugged, "It was time to get off my ass."

"Where she goes, I go," I added. "We're a package deal now."

Steve nodded, turning back to Clint, "How about our other recruit?"

Clint walked back towards the van, "He's rarin' to go. Had to put a little coffee in him-" He slammed open the door, causing Scott to jerk awake. "But he should be good"

"What time zone is this?" Scott questioned. 

Clint ushered him over to us.

"Captain America," Scott exclaimed, shaking his hand. 

"Mr Lang."

He was still shaking Steve's hand, "It's an honour. I'm shaking your hand too long." He stopped shaking his hand. "Wow! This is awesome! Captain America." He turned around as he spoke. "I know you two, too. You're both great," he added, addressing Wanda and I. He grabbed Steve's shoulders, noticing how big he was. "Jeez. Ah, look, I wanna say, I know you know a lot of super people, so thinks for thanking of me."

I laughed.

"Hey, man," Scott greeted Sam.

"What's up, Tic Tac?" Sam greeted in reply. 

"Uh, good to see you. Look, what happened last time when I-"

Sam shook his head, "It was a great audition, but it'll never happen again."

"They tell you what we're up against?" Steve asked. 

"Something about some psycho-assassins?" Scott repeated from when we briefed him earlier.

"We're outside the law on this one. So if you come with us, you're a wanted man."

 "Yeah, well, what else is new?"

I shrugged, moving past Steve to see Bucky, "You know what they say. Fuck the police. I'm all for breaking the law, keeps things interesting." I tilted my head, something about Bucky seemed familiar. "That's Bucky?" 

"Yeah," Steve answered.

"You look better than in the museum," I complimented. "You're cute, for an ex-HYDRA assassin."

Steve stared at me, "Anya, don't hit on him."

I rolled my eyes, "I'm a lesbian, Steve. One with a girlfriend. Bucky doesn't exactly get me going. No offence, I'm sure you got all the girls in the stone ages."

Bucky frowned, "Thanks?"

"She does that to everyone," Wanda informed.

I held out my hand, "I'm Anya, ex-assassin turned Avenger. I'm a Scorpio and a very good friend to other ex-assassins." 

"Wait, girlfriend?" Steve questioned. 

"Wanda," I answered, gesturing to the girl. 

Wanda smiled, glad I was finally ready to tell people, "We're dating. Surprise."

"As great as this is and I am expecting cake at some point and a party after this revelation, we aren't here to stand around and talk about our love lives, so unless Steve has recently gotten some, can we continue," I told. 

"He kissed Sharon," Sam revealed. 

I gasped, "No fucking way. Oh, this is great. I mean isn't she the niece of the woman you were in love with in the forties? Keeping it in the family," I joked. 

"Anya-"

"Oh come on, I have so many jokes-"

"Anya, no," Steve scolded. 

"Fine, but I'm using all of them afterwards."

"I expect nothing less," Steve sighed. 

"We should get moving," Bucky announced. 

"We got a chopper lined up," Clint informed. 

"They're evacuating the airport," Bucky and I informed at the same time.

"Why am I not surprised you speak German," I muttered. 

"Stark," Steve concluded. 

We all suited up, moving to our positions. I was with Wanda and Clint. Sam was using Redwing to find the Quinjet the others had taken and that we needed to get out of there and to where the doctor was about to wake up five assassins worse than Bucky. I wasn't focusing on the conversation occurring as I watched the events, more looking for others that may be hiding. 

Tony had recruited Spider-man, some hero in New York that sounded about fifteen. He taken Cap's shield. 

"You've been busy," I heard Steve tell Tony.

"And you've been a complete idiot. Dragging in Clint... Rescuing Wanda and Anya from a place they didn't even want to leave, a safe place. I'm trying to keep..." Tony exclaimed before sighing. "I'm trying to keep you from tearing the Avengers apart."

"You did that when you signed."

"All right, we're done. You're gonna turn Barnes over, you're gonna come with us, now, because it's us... or a squad of J-SOC guys with no compunction about being impolite. Come on."

"We found it. Their Quinjet's in hangar five, north runway," Sam informed over the comms. 

Steve rose his bound hands in the air. Clint shot an arrow through, freeing him. We began running through the parking deck, trying to get to our next position as quickly as possible without getting caught.

"All right, Lang," Steve spoke. 

Scott crawled onto Cap's shield, turning full-sized to knock Spider-Man over and grab the shield. 

"I believe this is yours, Captain America," Scott spoke as he handed over the shield.

We made it outside, running towards the jet, only for Tony to shoot at us, the containers next to us blowing up. He shot the ones ahead of us, stopping us in our tracks, Clint shielded Wanda and me as shrapnel flew around us. 

Tony flew in front of us, pointing his blasters at Wanda and me. 

"Wanda, Anya, I think you hurt Vision's feelings," he quipped. 

"You locked us in our rooms," Wanda defended. 

"Okay, first, that's an exaggeration. Second, I did it to protect you," Tony retorted. "Hey, Clint."

"Hey, man."

"Clearly, retirement doesn't suit you. You got tired of shooting golf?"

"Well, I played 18, shot 18. Just can't seem to miss," Clint responded, shooting two arrows at Tony, who shot them. 

"First time for everything."

"Made you look," Clint taunted. 

Wanda had pulled a car from the parking deck as I used the wind to grab one too. We continued to grab them, throwing them at Tony. We managed to trap him under a few cars. 

We continued to run, the others catching up with us. 

Clint pointed towards the Quinjet, "There's our ride."

We were stopped by Vision. He used the stone to create a laser. 

"Captain Rogers, I know you believe what you're doing is right. But for the collective good... you must surrender now," he bellowed. 

The others had joined him. 

"What do we do, Cap?" Sam questioned. 

"We fight."

He began walking towards the others, picking up speed as we followed. 

Spider-Man threw one of his webs at me as we reached each other, trapping my hands. I glared at him, burning through the webs, before throwing the fire at him. He dodged. I blasted Tony back as he went to hit Steve. I was then tackled to the ground, Rhodey, having pushed me down. I groaned in pain, sending the fire left over from an explosion his way. I jumped up, Tony reaching me as I did. He held his blasters out. 

"You hurt my girlfriend. You trapped her in her room, made her feel like a weapon. It's fine when you do that to me, I'm used to it after HYDRA and the red room but you really fucked with Wanda and for that Tony, I'm gonna fucking hurt you but physically instead of emotionally," I seethed. 

"I don't want to hurt you, Anya," he assured. 

"Too fucking late."

I lifted my hands, controlling the wind around me, moving it all towards Tony, crushing his suit. 

"You made her feel dangerous. We're barely fucking adults, Tony, and you locked us away to protect yourself, not us," I yelled. "I love Wanda and seeing her hurt like that killed me."

I could hear him yelling in pain. I threw him across the open space, right into a container. 

"You love me?" I heard Wanda ask. 

I turned to her, wide-eyed, "Yeah, I do. Saying it wasn't as scary as I thought. I love you, Wanda."

My heart was pounding as I said that and it made me feel sick with anxiety but I did it. 

"I love you too."

I smiled, before turning back to the fight. 

I noticed T'Challa about to hurt Bucky. I created a large gust of wind that held his arm in place, before wrapping it around his entire body and throwing him into a container. 

"Steve you cannot just drop a container on a kid," I yelled over the comms as I saw Spider-Man holding up exactly that. 

"I'll take Vision, you get to the jet," Steve ordered Bucky. 

"No, you get to the jet. Both of you. The rest of us aren't getting out of here," Sam instructed. 

"As much as I hate to admit it if we're gonna win this one, some of us might have to lose it," Clint agreed. 

"He's right, Steve, the most important thing is to stop that guy and get Bucky out of here since a lot of people want him dead," I added.

"Thanks," Bucky spoke over the comms. 

"No problem. I'm honest, another reason to be my friend," I replied. 

"Anya, focus," Sam interrupted. "This isn't the real fight, Steve."

As Sam was speaking, Nat came out of nowhere and tackled me to the ground. She threw a punch, one I dodged. She went to throw another one but I caught her hand, letting mine heat up. She winced, pulling away. I kicked her, sending her off of me. She went to advance again. I made her freeze in place, the wind trapping her. 

"Anya..."

"Shut up, Nat. You let him lock us away. Him I get, he wasn't there but you were. You know what they made me do, you know what they did to me. Is it really a surprise I sided with Steve on the whole Bucky thing? HYDRA used him, just like they used me in the Red Room. Just like everyone else has," I cried. "You let him treat me like a weapon when I just want to be a person, Nat."

"Anya-"

I didn't let her speak, sending her away from me. I made sure she landed gently, not wanting to hurt her. She had made me feel like shit but she was still my sister. I noticed no one was paying attention to me, so I slipped out of sight, going to move so I could better help. 

Steve had come to a decision, "All right, Sam. What's the play?" 

"We need a diversion. Something big," he suggested. 

"I got something kinda big. But I can't hold it very long. On my signal, run like hell. And if I tear myself in half, don't come back for me," Scott told. 

"He's gonna tear himself in half?" Bucky asked. 

"That would be interesting," I chuckled. 

"You sure about this, Scott?" Steve sought. 

"I do it all the time. I mean, once. In a lab. Then I passed out," he admitted. 

I peaked out from behind a container, "If that doesn't work I can blow up most of the airport."

"You can blow up the airport?" Bucky repeated. 

I sighed, "Keep up new friend, you're not the only HYDRA experiment here. Bet you don't feel too special anymore. But, yes I can blow stuff up as well as create wind and use it or whatever. That one is relatively new."

The next thing I knew, Scott was a giant. He grabbed Rhodey out of the sky. 

"Holy fucking shit, that's so cool," I yelled. 

Scott began crushing stuff as he threw Rhodey. 

It was hard to keep up with everything that was happening but T'Challa had noticed Bucky and Steve running for the Quinjet. I rushed in front of him. 

"Hi, I'm Anya, nice to meet you King dude, don't know if this is technically treason but-"

"I don't care," T'Challa replied, running towards me. 

I stopped him in his tracks, pushing him down as best I could. It lasted for a short while as Tony blasted me back, right into something hard and metal. I heard a loud crack. I was winded. I coughed, pulling myself up. 

The other side managed to take Scott down, who then turned back into his normal size. 

Vision shot at Sam, missing. I then noticed something falling out of the sky, it was Rhodey. Vision had hit Rhodey. I ran towards where he would fall, ignoring the pain in my chest. I got close enough to try and help. I pushed my arms out, trying my best to catch him. I could only slow down the fall enough that he wouldn't die. He hit the ground. 

"Anya," Wanda shouted, running over to me. 

"Hey, Wanda," I greeted. "I need to sit."

I sat down, feeling dizzy. 

"It hurts," I complained before the pain began spreading. Everything went black as I felt my limbs tighten. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

65.9K 3.6K 37
Just when life finally settled down, and things found normalcy, or at least as normal as they could be for Steve, he gets a request of himself that h...
4.9K 235 25
She was a S.H.I.E.L.D agent in the wrong place at the wrong time, and he was a handsome, deadly assassin with a cold past of his own. Before she was...
327K 11K 29
𝗢𝗻 π˜„π—΅π—Άπ—°π—΅ the son and daughter of captain america and black widow accidentally travel to the past [ romanogers au ] [ next: avengers ] [ COMPL...
655 6 38
BOOK ONE The tale of Nike OdindΓ³ttir, and how she became the long awaited warrior. Years of training could never have prepared Nike for what she wou...