chapter thirteen

---

---

The day I had been dreading had arrived. The party that Tony had planned after we defeated Ultron had arrived. I'd ordered my outfit online with Wanda as neither of us wanted to go out to shop. 

I really didn't want to go. It was the same thing every time. I would attend, people would only want to talk to me about either my powers or the missions we went on and half the time they wanted me to put in a good word with Tony or Steve or Thor. It got so annoying. 

There was a knock on my door. 

"Come in."

"Please tell me you don't want to go either," Wanda spoke up as she walked in. 

"I'd rather sleep," I admitted. "But Tony would drag me out of bed and make me attend."

She nodded, "So, looks like we're not getting out of it."

I shook my head, "Suck it up, this is your first, it's like my fiftieth. Think of me as your guide through the evening."

"You just don't want to be stuck alone," she told. 

"You got me. I hate these parties. It's the same thing every time," I revealed. 

"I don't really know anyone going except who lives here. So, I'll take you up on the guide offer," she replied. 

---

The party was in full swing and Wanda and I had stayed together the entire time, avoiding long conversations with the people who approached them. I glanced at Nat to see her looking down. I knew it was something to do with the fact that Bruce had ditched them and was God knows where. I had tried to talk to her about it but she brushed it off and told me she was fine. 

I didn't push it. She wouldn't talk unless she wanted to and even then she wouldn't talk much, it wasn't how we were trained. 

Wanda and I were sat on two chairs in the corner of the room. We had managed to swipe some alcohol.

"I see what you meant," Wanda voiced. "These aren't very fun. No one will talk to me."

"If we're lucky we can sneak away in a few minutes and chill for a bit before they notice," I informed. "And don't worry about the not talking thing, a lot of people won't talk to me. They're scared of me."

She sent me a sad smile, "Well I'm not scared of you." 

"Thanks, Wanda. I'm not scared of you either."

She sent me another smile, this one wasn't as sad. She was grateful someone didn't fear her powers. 

Only a few minutes later I noticed how all of the Avengers were finally preoccupied. 

"Now," I whispered, grabbing Wanda's hand and dragging her into another room. I managed to swipe another bottle of champagne as we left as it was placed in an ice bucket on the bar. I showed Wanda it as we sat down. 

"Won't they notice we're gone?" Wanda asked. 

"Eventually, maybe but they won't get much time away from their fans," I explained. "Everyone loves them but hates me, it's funny really."

"Why do they hate you?" Wanda questioned as she shuffled closer to me on the sofa. 

"People fear the unknown and how I have these powers isn't known. I'm a mutant and they hate us. At least the majority do," I revealed as I poured us each a glass of champagne. 

Wanda frowned as I passed her a glass, "So they'll hate me?"

"I don't know," I sighed. "But you're powers aren't made to destroy they can help."

Wanda placed down her glass and adjusted her position so she was facing me on the sofa. "You're not the bad guy, Anya."

"Sometimes it feels like I am."

"No." I frowned. "You are not the bad guy."

I was surprised by the tone of her voice. I knew she wouldn't let me argue, not that I wouldn't try. 

"You don't know what I've done, Wanda," I whispered.

"Your right, I don't but that doesn't matter because you're not the bad guy now. You helped save the world, that's hardly villain behaviour," she told. She had grasped my hands in her own as she spoke, causing me to glance down at them. 

Was I panicking? Slightly. Okay, I may have been in a big gay panic. She was right there, holding my hands, and she liked girls but I didn't know if she liked me. That was the problem.

My mind went blank when I glanced back up and she was staring at me. Her eyes flickered downwards before she leant forward and her lips met mine in a short kiss. She pulled back and I could tell she was panicking. That made two of us.

"I-I'm so sorry I-"

"No, no, it's fine, I liked it," I interrupted.

"You did?" I nodded. "Can I kiss you again?" She stuttered. 

I nodded again, not able to talk. 

She leant forwards once more, connecting our lips as her hands left mine and rested on my shoulders as she moved closer, our lips moving in sync as our champagne stood forgotten.

Yes, I'd had my first kiss years ago when I was being used to kill. It had been some random guy who happened to be my target. I remember how disgusting I felt. I remember how disgusting he felt against me.

But Wanda felt different. She made me feel after years of numbness. I was content as her arms wrapped around me. For once I wasn't my powers. I wasn't a danger. I was a person. 

I pulled away. 

"Anya, I really like you," she admitted. 

"I really like you too," I replied. "But Nat and the others, they don't know that I like girls."

"We can keep it a secret until you want them to know. I don't mind," she comforted. 

I smiled, "it won't be long. I will tell her I'm just scared of what she'll think."

Before I could reply Clint entered the room, saying we had to go back to the party. Tony's orders. I begrudgingly reentered the party room with Wanda by my side.