Honey

By Skipology

[ A Red Dead Redemption 2 Fanficion ] Honey a african-irish american woman has fallen herself head over hills... More

CAST
Soundtrack
story preview
The Aftermath
Colter : What Came Before
Colter: What Was Lost
Colter: Passing Time
Colter: Kieran Duffy
Colter: A Few Days Later
Colter: The Thaw
Horseshoe Overlook: Valentine

Colter: What Remains

83 8 0
By Skipology

Honey flopped into a chair at a table across from Sadie Adler, "why's your face so long..." Sadie asked wiping away a stray tear. "Nothing to worry yourself about, I'm probably just being a bit of a brat, as Bill often says," Honey murmured. "They gone off somewhere without you?" Sadie asked. "yup." Honey sighed. "hell, I'd be mad too then." Sadie replied with a faint smile. 

"Don't be too mad." Charles called entering the room,  he made his way to the table and pulled up a chair. "why're you here? something couldn't have happened already - could it? is everyone ok?" Honey asked quickly. "Honey stop worryin if something had been wrong we'd hear gunfire for miles." Grimshaw scolded her, "You'll worry the boy." she added.

Honey, who had stood from her seat, eased back down. Charles laughed, "It ain't funny Chuck." Honey snapped. "yes it is." He said in a chuckle. "but stop worrying, they're fine. I came back so you wouldn't feel left out, I'd probably only slow them down with my bad hand anyway." Charles said calmly. He grabbed the pack of cards on the table "you two ladies up for a round?" he asked. Sadie sat up in her chair "sure, go on and deal em. ain't got nothing better to do." she said.

Honey sighed, "yeah, yeah - come on." 

Pearson entered the main cabin with Mary Beth, bowls of a mystery stew carried on wooden planks pulled from the more dilapidated buildings. They set them down on a table, "sorry it isn't much, we're running low on stores." Pearson murmured. Honey waited with Charles as the women got up and each took a bowl before going to get their own. Honey looked down into her stew,  and then over to Sadie and John. "Abigail will likely give him some of hers,  and I'm sure Pearson already took care of Jack giving him the lion's share of it." Honey thought, she watched as Abigail poured a little of her stew into John's bowl and smiled, "Good. then that just leaves..." Honey returned to the table with Charles and Sadie, quietly she tipped her bowl over and poured half of its contents into Sadies bowl.

"wha- you didn't-" Sadie stammered. "I'm still not very hungry. Your house is partially burned down. From what I've heard...it was Micah's fault...the moron. It's the least we can do." Honey said. Charles gave a nod, and before Honey could react poured a bit of his stew into her bowl " Honey is right. you've been through a lot. But you still need to eat too, Wihakayda." Charles said, Honey scowled, "but your hand." Honey protested, "you don't need food to heal a hand. you've got more healing to do." Charles said. Honey sighed "you're 'bout as bad as Arthur..." she grumbled.

Charles looked to Sadie and pointed at Honey with his thumb, "she's stubborn as a kid sister.  tell her to do something and she'll wanna do the opposite just because she can. Hazards of being cooped up as a child I guess." Charles chuckled. Sadie smiled a bit " well that must be why we get along so well." Sadie mused quietly. 

"You lot aren't so bad." Sadie sighed, Honey, shrugged "I mean...if your life turns into a mess of ugly...might as well be stuck with... some good bad company." Honey said. "I learned that when they found me," she added.  Honey held her stomach as it squirmed, "oh god." she breathed, "P-Pearson what you put in that...ugh!" Honey stammered, holding her gut she doubled over a bit. "Found a can of aged sardines to give it the touch of salt," Pearson said proudly.

"Mr.Pearson! you goddamn idiot!" Grimshaw shouted, Honey hopped up from her seat and bolted out the door, trudging as fast as she could through the thick snow to one of the unusable buildings.

"and they say I ain't too bright." John groaned, "Auntie H doesn't handle Sardines well... Uncle Sean usually eats them for her." Jack pointed out as he happily ate his stew. "Oh...well it's an easy enough thing to forget." Pearson said with a shrug. "it's your seventh time giving her something with them in it." Tilly said with a scowl. "Look when you're hungry you have to settle for whatever you get." Pearson said, "why, when I was in the navy we-"

"No old stories!" the girls yelled. Pearson quieted down and started to sulk "innit that the way, feed em and still don't get no respect." Pearson grumbled turning to leave.

Sadie looked to Charles "and they're always like this?" she asked a hint of amusement in her voice. "every day." Charles sighed. Sadie pushed her bowl to the side as she finished up her food, "I appreciate Honey taking the time to make sure I'm alright but, I rather she wouldn't. I don't want to be a burden."  Sadie said after a while of sitting quietly.

Charles side glanced, "I think she just sees a bit of herself in you and shares a bit of guilt." Charles muttered. "Guilt why? It was O'Driscolls who killed my husband...If I hadn't caused such a fuss maybe ...who was it? Micah wouldn't have knocked over the table and the fire would have never happened." Sadie said. Charles paused, he wasn't sure it was wise to tell Sadie about Honey's connection with the O'Driscolls. As small as it may have been, try explaining that to a new widow.

"Yeah well," Charles began carefully, "it's not uncommon to feel guilty for the actions of your fellows, is it? besides, Honey's home burned down too, leaving her with little choice but to come with us." Charles said. Sadie lifted her head a bit, "It did...how? who did it?" Sadie asked. Charles rubbed his injured hand trying to warm it from the cold. "heh, she was the one that burned it down. It's an interesting story. She's kinda funny with fire. when you get the chance maybe ask her about it." Charles said.

"jus' don't ask her about it while near an actual fire, Honey gets kinda itchy when talk of flames start," Karen warned as she came by the gather up the empty bowls.

"Hey if Honey ain't gonna eat her stew can I have it?" Uncle called out to Karen as she passed by. "well ain't you gonna wait to see if the boy wants it?" Karen asked scrunching up her nose. "I'm really full Aunt Karen, Uncle can have it," said Jack from his seat next to John. Karen sighed and passed Uncle the bowl "here, knock yourself out." She murmured.

Honey groaned as she left the ruined building and carefully wiped her mouth. "Pearson....pain in the backside." Honey sighed.  "now, now miss Tunstall I am sure Mr.Pearson means well." Called Swanson pipped in as he exited the bunk cabin, He walked up to Honey and gave her a pat on her shoulder. "he's actively trying to poison me." Honey muttered, "Hardly," He replied with a chuckle. 

Honey groaned and rubbed her aching stomach, she then carefully checked her wound and grimaced, "red..." she murmured. "Oh, my seems all that opened it back up a little. Come on let us have someone handle that." Swanson said as he and HOney returned to the cabins.

-------------------------------------------------

"You good Dutch?" Arthur asked cautiously as he rode alongside their Leader. He talked as if everything was fine, but there had been a change in the way a few of those who had witnessed firsthand the events of blackwater looked at him. Concern and wariness were shown in the eyes of the gang.  

"of course." Dutch said with his chest puffed, "I know you don't think much of my idea lately," he said, "but listen, this is the right move."

There it was that unwavering certainty of the Dutch charm, It was what they'd learned to put their faith in for years now. If Dutch was still sure of himself, Arthur wasn't going to be the one to doubt it, not now. "Okay," Arthur sighed, "I've got your back, you know that." He said giving Dutch a nod.

"I learned a long time ago, You hit Colm O'Driscoll before Colm O'Driscoll hits you," Dutch said, anger hidden below his confident words. "If you wait for him, people you love die. I won't lose no more of us." Dutch said, his gaze fixed into a distant glare at the trail ahead of them.  "the feud between the two of you, one way or another," Arthur shook his head, "It needs to be put to rest, Dutch." he said. 

A wicked grin slipped across Bill's face "It will be!" he cheered. Dutch grimaced, "Something I can't forgive, others I can't forget. what he did to Annabelle...I can't do neither." Dutch growled. Arthur fell silent, He remembered that awful day, was the first and only time he'd seen Dutch come undone. While it was true, over time the feud between the two outlaw leaders had created grudges for everyone involved, Arthur himself carrying a bit of his own - Dutch, he was wounded the heaviest.

"People like us only get one real chance at love I s'pose." Arthur thought to himself,  glancing towards Dutch who gazed at the road ahead with great determination. "an' that was a bad way to lose it." Arthur thought.  "You killed his brother Dutch." Arthur said, " yes I did." Dutch spat, "and I hope the bastards will be reunited soon enough." He growled. Arthur sighed.

The gang climbed the steep snowy slope overlooking the O'Driscoll camp, quietly they broke from each other to surround them. Arthur peered through his binoculars to get a better look at the happenings below in the mining camp. "yeah," he sighed zeroing in on a man in a long black duster, he carried himself with a cocky pride, "that certainly looks like Colm O'Driscoll" he mused. The man mounted a dark horse as another hurriedly walk over arms waving about.

"who's he talking to? he don't seem very happy..." Dutch muttered.

"no..." Arthur murmured, focusing on the scene below, Colm smacked the angry man's face about as if scolding a small child, the man grasped his face and hobbled away towards a roan horse, many of Colm's men had already mounted up. They had more numbers than Arthur expected. "they leaving?" Dutch asked squinting to see better, "seem to be, should we go get 'em?" Arthur asked. "no." Dutch calm steadily, "Best to get some of them outta there, Colm can wait." he said.

Dutch then chuckled "it's also much less fun to rob him and his score if he never finds out about it." he said. Arthur couldn't help but smirk, now that sounded like the Dutch he knew. "let's get down there, come on." Dutch said as Arthur lowered his spyglass.

"we'll circle around the far side and meet up with Micah and Bill," Dutch instructed leading the way, Lenny and Javier took to the top of the slope ready to pick off anyone if need be. "Like you said, revenge is a luxury we can't afford," said Dutch. Arthur raised a brow, "sure, I just didn't think you altogether agreed with me." Arthur said.

"Arthur," Dutch breathed with indignance, "Arthur have you lost faith in me, completely?" He asked, " our needs right now are supplies, equipment, medicine, and a way out of here, everything else can wait." Dutch said, "even Colm." he added.  That's what Arthur had wanted to hear, a smile ticked onto his face as he carefully eyed the situation off to the side of them below, "okay." he said with more confidence. "there's enough of those bastards below as it is." Dutch said. 

Arthur tried to count the number of men remaining, it would be a tough firefight, but nothing they'd not faced before.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Honey sat up on the roof again, tuning out Mary  Beth as she fussed below. "She isn't going to listen, might as well go in and keep yourself warm," Tilly giggled as she headed back inside with arms full of firewood. Mary Beth sighed, "You already re-opened the wound a little today. what do you think's gonna happened when you climb down from there?" Mary Beth asked Honey. Honey gave a shrug, "I'm teaching my body it needs to listen to me and hurry the hell up an' heal." she replied.

"It don't work that way!" Mary Beth huffed in frustration.

Molly O'shea swayed two the two women through the snow, crossing her arms she held a sly smirk on her face, "Why don't you just go tell miss Grimshaw." She said lightly. Honey rolled her eyes, "what's she gonna do? climb up here and yank me down?" Honey said. "She might," Molly chuckled. 

Honey gave a deep sigh, "Look...I'm not up here for nothin' Sean and Mac are still out there and nobody is looking for them. I'm just...keeping a lookout." She murmured. Mary Beth and Molly glanced at each other and then back up to Honey. "I'm sure Dutch will send someone looking soon. " Molly said. Honey grimaced and looked away but said nothing. It was an answer she was getting sick of hearing.  He'd already failed them enough in her eyes and she was finding it hard to forgive his actions in Blackwater, no matter how panicked they all may have been.

Honey pulled her coat around her tighter, "I'll come down after a while, I promise." She said. Mary Beth gave a short nod, Honey's tone had dismissed them. The way her eyes fixed on the pass to Colter, let both women below know that she was done talking and listening.

Meanwhile, Arthur took a moment to catch his breath while he and some of the boys looted the bodies in the mess they'd left of the O'Driscoll camp. "It wasn't the hardest firefight we've faced." Arthur thought to himself, lighting a cigarette and heading back towards Dutch, "It's just we're all pretty beat up from running." He murmured.

"Arthur, take the cabin on the left, see what you can find," Dutch said. Arthur gave a nod and worked his way through the snow to reach the cabin. It was almost a shame this miners camp was now shot to hell, "It would have been a better location than ours, I guess it's easier find...might not have worked out well." Arthur thought while rummaging through the cabin.

Not too much was left, he found a can of beans, whiskey, a pack of cigarettes, and a cigar tucking it all away in his satchel. wandering over to a wooden crate he lifted the lid and smiled, "Well I think I found what we're lookin' for." he said, his eyes gazing at bundles of red sticks, a faintly sweet scent coming from the wooden box. "I think I found Something!" Arthur called out.

He picked up a bundle of dynamite carefully and examined it, "what do you think?" He asked as he spotted Bill from the corner of his eye. Bill reached into the box taking up a large bundle, he looked it over and gave it a sniff, "This is work." said Bill, he lowered his bundle back into the small crate in the box and started to unload the small crates of dynamite, taking them back to the horses so that everyone might stuff as much as they could into their saddlebags.

Arthur smiled at the small bundle in his hand as she tucked it away in his satchel, "This'll make her grin three miles long." He chuckled heading out of the Cabin. Dutch who was busy scanning a Map Micah found of the O'Driscoll's plans smirked, "Seems your information was good. Looks like Colm was fixing to rob a Train by one such Leviticus Cornwall." Dutch said, his eyes glinting with amusement. Dutch chuckled quietly as he imagined the look and the hollering Colm would be doing once he found out about all this. Rolling up the map, Dutch tucked it away and looked to Arthur. "Mr.Morgan, kindly stash some of  TNT away for Miss Tunstall maybe it'll keep her more in line," Dutch called amused. 

Arthur gave his satchel a pat, "one step ahead of ya Dutch, this will get that stubborn girl to sit still for a while...I hope." Arthur said mounting his horse. "You kidding? It's gonna take five of us just to keep her from blowing us all sky high." Micah said with a scowl, "ain't smart give a psychotic girl like that them damn things." he grumbled. "well hell, we give you a gun, don't we? I don't see the difference." Arthur said in a slow growl. "enough, everyone mount up, we shouldn't linger here too long. we've got what we came here for." Dutch instructed.  Arthur and Micah fell silent and did as they were told.

A Large smile came to Dutch's face, "I'm proud of you boys!" He cheered, "All of you, not a single man down!"

Lenny's chest puffed out with pride, He hadn't had too many big jobs before Blackwater. Blackwater was disheartening for everyone, but he'd hopped at it would have been his chance to prove himself, So stealing some plans and dynamite wasn't a huge job. But Lenny grinned ear to ear at the thought that he did well, that he was now riding out with the big boys, so to speak.

"Good work, fellers!" Bill called out. Dutch chuckled, "Not bad at all for some starved down-and-outs. They can beat us down as hard as they'd like, they can try, but we will always get back up and fight." Dutch said falling into a speech. "Outlaws for life, fellers. That is who we are." 

The sun started to set and the snow began to blow in again, nothing like what they faced on their way up to Colter, but no one wanted to face the possible fury of the mountains again. Dutch and Arthur lead the boys through the deep snow and slopes in a hurry. They'd found a fair amount of supplies and that left-back in the cabins would without a doubt be in need of them by now, after all, half the way was spent. 

More than anything, Arthur couldn't wait to get that dynamite to Honey. She'd been different since fleeing Blackwater, it was something in her eyes and it concerned him. "She'll light up like a fuse at the sight of this....or, here's hoping." Arthur thought to himself eyes focused on the horizon. 

Through the snow ahead of them, a figure dashed away on horseback. Both the horse and the figure looked familiar, "That feller up ahead, you see him? wasn't he at the camp with Colm?" Dutch questioned. Arthur's eyes narrowed as they focused on the rider ahead, he seemed to struggle with getting his horse to cross the frigid waters of the river, panicked by the gang following behind him. "Leave him to me," said Arthur leading his horse ahead of the others and making chase after the stranger.

"Alright, we're headed back. Bring him back alive, Arthur. He may be useful." Dutch ordered. "Ok, you got it!" Arthur called back, maneuvering his horse across the river, cold water spraying up to the heels of his boots. It was the last thing he wanted to do, up in wolf-riddled terrain with nightfall upon them. However, it would not be wise to let an O'Driscol run loose, more so after taking their camp. It was inevitable that Colm would come looking for them, but at least without worrying about a snitch, they had some time to recover themselves and possibly find a petter place to lay low before Colm could strike.

However, the fleeing man seemed to be trying his best to get away, even if he wasn't to good at invasion. Arthur shook his head, at either side of him was plenty of trees, hills, and rocks. Natural obstacles that might help the man slow Arthur down, "and here this fool is ridin' in a straight line, with a tired and uncooperative horse. Damn fool." He murmured to himself.

Closing in on the rider ahead, Arthur pulled out his lasso, "You got the wrong feller!" Called the rider, briefly glancing back. The man's eyes grew wide as hurling towards him was a rope, and it fell right around his torso. 

Arthur pulled his horse to a stop, the rope loop drew snug around the body of the rider who soon found himself yanked back, into the snow below, his horse still galloping for the hills. "There you go." Arthur sighed, pleased with how easy that was as he dismounted his horse and trudged over to the flailing man. Arthus shook his head as the man cursed and wailed in the hole he had wallowed.

Reaching down to grab hold of the rider, Arthur fought to roll the man onto his belly, "You're coming with me." Arthur said in a grunt. "Please, you- you don't need to do this mister." the man pleaded quickly, whilst being slung onto Arthur's shoulder. 

"shit!" the man hissed, tossed onto the back of Arthur's horse like a saddlebag. "come on, just let me go!" The man shouted, Arthur was starting to wonder if it was worth it. This man was a frightened mess and whatever spine he had must have melted away in the snow.  Still, Arthur mounted his horse and made for Colter. The sun had well fallen now and it was quickly getting cold. It would be bad for The Man, HImself, and his horse if they did not get to shelter soon.

Arthur followed what tracks remained on the path the gang took back 'home'.

"You got a name boy?" Arthur called back. "I- I don't know!" was the stammered reply. Arthur gave a hard roll of his eyes, "You don't know your own name?" He asked the man sharply. "It's Kieran!" called the man, he figured it would be better not to make this angry stranger's disposition any worse than it was. "Kieran? Kieran what?" Arthur asked in the gruffest tone he could muster. "Duffy! Kieran- Kieran Duffy!" he called. Arthur chuckled inwardly, this man was hardly a threat, but boy was he gonna have fun spooking him.

"well," Sight Arthur, "I ain't gonna lie to you, this is a real bad day for you Kieran Duffy." he said matter-of-factly. Kieran nearly shuddered, "where are you takin' me?" He asked, turning his head to look at Arthur's back, trying to focus and ignore the fact that the bumpy ride was making his ribs ache. 

"Somewhere you ain't gonna like," said Arthur, inwardly chuckling.

"Why?!" Kieran nearly shouted, his heart beating so fast it felt like it might just burst from his chest. "what are you...what are you gonna do to me?" He asked.

"well...something you ain't gonna like." replied Arthur, "so I'd advise you save your breath for screaming." He said. "no, please!" Kieran pleaded. Arthur might have felt a little bad under different circumstances, but it wasn't every day you got to terrorize an O'Driscol until he shat his drawers, and it was proving to be great stress relief.

A brilliant nearly full moon parted through the clouds, lighting up the night and Arthurs way home.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Honey still sat on the roof, her eyes trained to the radiance of the moon, the girls had come out to try and bring her in. truth was she liked it out here in the cold, It numbed her mind as much as her wound and her mind had been reeling since she'd woke up. But more importantly, she wasn't going inside yet, Dutch and the boys had all returned - without Arthur. HOney's nerves weren't in the best shape nowadays, and neither was her trust in Dutch.

"oh god!" she heard faintly on the wind, Honey's eyes pulled away from the moon and spotted a rider headed for their shambled buildings, a small smile slipped across her face, "about time," she whispered, carefully starting to side down off of the roof, but it was a bit harder than she had expected, the snow was slippery and inching down was easier said than done.

"Here we are, you sack of shit. Let's introduce you to the boys!" Arthur said to Kieran, hitching the horse and going to remove him from it. "don't hurt me please." Kieran said quietly.

Honey hung from the overhang of the roof her feet hanging towards the ground, while she looked about. Opening her mouth to ask Arthur for a hand, she noticed he had a figure slug over her shoulder. She drew in a deep breath, It was a slender male with long hair, though in the dark she could not see his face or much else about him. "could it be Sean? Did Arthur find him?" Honey thought, preparing herself, she let herself fall back into the snow below her.

"oh don't worry they're real friendly," said Arthur. 

Honey groaned and held her side, her hand coated in a small amount of blood. "whelp...didn't bust open too badly." she murmured quickly crawling up from the mount of snow and staggering to her feet.

"huh, found the little shit, did you?" Dutch asked stepping out from the shadows of the porch as Arthur threw Kieran to the ground. "I got him," said Arthur. Honey's hopefulness died down as she watched the pair and who she now knew was a stranger. Honey lingered in the shadows, something clearly wasn't right, They never brought people back to home camp who weren't possible new additions to the gang. Somehow, this didn't feel like recruitment.

"Welcome to your new home!" called Dutch a welcoming dripped in friendly venom. "hope you're real happy here." He said, Arthur cutting Kieran's bindings and dragging the shivering man to his feet. Honey wasn't sure if it was the cold or fear that had the little man shaking. She didn't like it, even from a distance the man didn't look like a threat, "hell looks like Jack could take him in a fight." Honey thought to herself.

"You want me to make him talk?" Arthur asked, "No," Dutch said taking a step closer, " oh no, see, all we will get is lies now." said Dutch. Behind him out of the main cabin came Uncle and Bill, "Mr.Williamson, Uncle!" Dutch called flagging them over. "Tie the maggot up someplace safe, lets get him hungry first. I got a saying friend." Dutch said peering into Kieran's face as he was passed off to Bill. "We shoot fellers as need shooting, save fellers as needs saving, and feed fellers as needs feeding." with each of Dutches words he stepped closer to Kieran who seem petrified. "We are gonna find out what you need." said Dutch.

Dutch's serious expression fell to one a great amusement as he slap his knee and laughed heartily "I can't believe it! An O'Driscoll in my camp!" he cheered.

"No! I-I ain't an O'Driscoll, miser. I-I hate that feller!" Kieran called frantically as Bill and Uncle pulled him towards the workshop building, the lantern glowing softly within in. 

"oh, water ever you say son!" Dutch called, dismissing Kieran he turned to Arthur, "well done." he praised. "I'm just sorry we missed out on Colm." he replied with a shrug. "oh there is time left for that. now I gotta figure out if we can hit that train!" Dutch said with excitement heading back inside of the warmed cabin.

Honey's eyes finally left Bill and Uncle as they closed the doors to the workhouse. "An O'Driscoll....in camp? that's mad." She thought. Her eyes found Arthur, and she quietly stepped out of her shadows. "then again...I've never seen an O'Driscoll that sorry looking." she muttered.

Arthur noticed the movement from the corner of his eyes, "Honey? what in the hell are you doing out in this!" He roared, rushing over to her. Honey pulled her coat around herself tightly, "I was keeping an eye out on the roof, for you boys and Sean." Honey said, "the roof? god damn it Honey - you tryin' to kill yourself?" Arthur asked, fussing he check her over. "You opened it back up," he muttered. drawing red fingertips away from Honey's side. "It's not that bad...." Honey sighed, her eyes went back to the workhouse, "I thought that man might have been....." Honey looked down to see Arthur pulling his face scarf from his satchel. "don't use that, you need that." She urged, Arthur quickly moved his hand out the way as HOney went to swat at it. 

"I need you more," He grumbled quietly, "and I got a spare." Arthur pressed the scarf to Honey's wound. "I'm sorry it wasn't Sean. We'll find him soon enough, don't worry. Fools too stubborn to be dead." He said, pulling Honey's coat around her even tighter, trying to hold the scarf in place. "Come on, let's get you inside and to bed. I'm sure Mary Beth's fixing your a bowl of something hot right now." Arthur said, He started to herd Honey towards the cabin where they slept, "Was that man really an O'Driscoll?" Honey asked him.

"Well, we think so. He was talking with Colm."

"You saw Colm!" Honey gasped, "Not up close, he'd left by the time we attacked his camp. got rid of a good number of them bastards too. Today went well. Now come on. I got you a surprise." said Arthur opening the door to the Cabin. Honey glanced a thin skeptically, "I'm alright but I don't think my side will let me-"

Arthur chuckled, "I ain't got that sort of surprise for you....just yet." He said in a low rumble through the amused smirk on his face. "Good to know what's on your mind." He teased. Honey scowled playfully and tried to ignore the embarrassed blush on her cheeks. "hey, it wasn't on my mind. It's just I know what's usually on yours." she hummed with a simper before stepping inside the doorway.

Inside, Arthur stoked the old fireplace to heat the building before heading back to the small bedroom. Honey sat on the bed in her smallclothes, redressing her wound properly. "it's not doing too terrible, it needs to be cleaned better, boiled snow isn't exactly cutting it." She said, She watched as Arthur removed his coat and dropped it over her shoulders. "You said you had a surprise for me?" Honey asked. Arthur chuckled quietly taking a seat next to her his bag in hand.

"You need to close your eyes." He said. Honey could hear the cheerful change in his voice. "It's gonna be an animal tooth." HOney said, "stop guessing, you're always trying to ruin my surprises." Arthur said. "A candy bar." Honey guess again. Arthur laughed quietly, Reaching into his bag, he carefully pull out the dynamite and gingerly laid it on Honey's lap. "A gold bar?" She questioned. Taking her hands in his Arthur shook his head, "For you? might as well be." He laughed, resting her hands over the explosives.

Honey gasped, her eyes flew open and her hands clutched the bundle of sticks. "T....N....T....." she said slowly, Arthur wasn't sure if he should be happy or frightened about the way her eyes glittered. A smile formed on Honey's face and it soon turned into a wild grin. 

"Now...don't go using that unless it is absolutely needed...I don't want to get it from Dutch and the others again." Arthur spoke with caution. Honey's mood sank rapidly, "I...I know better Arthur. I told you - I never meant...." her words faded, Dejected Honey picked up the dynamite and held it out. "take it back." she murmured.

"Don't be like that, I didn't mean anything by it. It's just...you know...things happen." Arthur's voice took a gentler tone, "I got it for you, Dutch knows about it. Hell he wanted you to have it, after everything with Blackwater." said Arthur carefully closing her fingers around the hazardous gift. "Hell we're not sure it even works," he added.

"It should, you can smell it, even from here." Honey said turning her gaze down. "I wonder what will be shaken to dance in fire...how brightly it'll burn," Honey murmured in content. Arthur shivered, and reached out to smooth down the hair on the top of Honey's head. "why don't you just store that away for now before Mary Beth comes in and finds it. Eat up and well...we both could do with some sleep." said Arthur. Honey gave a nod, leaning forward she lay a slow kiss to his lips, enough to draw a soft groan from him. 

"Thank you, Arthur," she said before going to tuck her gift away someplace safe. Arthur rubbed the back of his neck, it took everything he had not a grin like an idiot. That had worked better than he thought it would. "I ought to give her the whole damn case of the things." He thought to himself.

"no problem, you've just looked so miserable lately. I can't see much of you in your gaze anymore. Good to know some of Honey still remains in there....even if it is the crazy bit." said Arthur, he laughed lightly and reached out his arms to pull Honey back onto his lap. Honey giggled quietly as Arthur nuzzled his nose into her neck, the bristle of his bread ticking her skin. "I love me the crazy bit," he said breathlessly, planing a kiss against the curve on her neck.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

692 24 11
"in memory of arthur morgan, the greatest man who ever lived" (y/n) morgan was found by arthur as a helpless baby in a box in blackwater, and ever si...
144K 3.5K 46
ever since your family was killed by a gang of outlaws, you've lived your life on the run. you had to learn to survive on your own and protect yourse...
53K 2.7K 53
Nora has spent most of her life in solitude, travelling only with her business partner JB Cripps. Always on the move, never allowing herself the time...
49.1K 2.2K 20
➵ ❝Y'know... I ain't a good man.❞ ❝You're good to me, and that's enough.❞ ➵ Arthur Morgan had heard many tales about grand treasures hidden all over...