Overlord: Paladin King

By KirzaShil

Three years after the establishment of the Kingdom of Ainz Ooal Gown has become prosperous land where its peo... More

Crossing The Border
The Paladin King part 1

Paladin Of The Holy Kingdom

723 6 2
By KirzaShil

A woman walked through the inn Corridor. The woman whose beauty is said to be comparable to the famous holy queen. Strongest paladin in the land, Captain of the paladin order Remedios Custodio. Right now she acting as a leader of an envoy from the Holy Kingdom.

It was a luxurious inn where the floor is padded with soft red carpet this inn is one of the most luxurious in the Royal capital.

But this was too luxurious for her. It's not like that she was unaccustomed to luxury but the situation back in her homeland made her heartaches. When million of her countryman suffered under demon occupation & her master's & friend situation is still unknown how could she be comfortable staying in a luxurious inn?."

But since her vice Captain - Who is more intelligent than her - said that the purpose of staying in this inn is to show that the Holy Kingdom still had a future. So that the noble are more willing to send aids. Although she is still uneasy about it she is willing to do anything to increase the chances for the Holy Kingdom to get aid.

After a short walk letter, she arrives at her room in the inn. Inside there is her Captain and a few high-ranking paladins. They are sitting at the table discussing their work at the royal capital.

Her entry to the room changes the atmosphere. The hubbub of their discussion change into their standing up in salutes to her. After returning their salute Remedios join them at their table. The first person she asked was her vice, Captain Gustavo.

"What is the latest situation, Gustavo?."

"Not much happening our situation is still precarious."

"What about meeting with the noble of the kingdom are you manage to get it?."

"Unfortunately no, all of our envoy that comes back said the noble are unable to send us any aid. The only envoy who hasn't returned yet is Neia Baraja, but I would've put much hope into her."

Hearing this made her heartache worsen. She who had sworn to protect her Majesty Holt Queen and her country to inability to aid her beloved country is brought despair upon her.

After her failure, She is now like a powder keg ready to explode filled with all kinds of negative emotions. Her team's current situation is also added to her frustration. She desperately tried to find hope for the salvation of her nation.

The whole point of coming to the kingdom is to secure aid and if possible military intervention. But so far they haven't found anything that could help them.

"What about the Blue Rose did they agree to meet with us?."

"Yes, they agreed to meet us this evening."

"What should I know about them before our meeting?."

"Firstly, the Blue Rose is consists of five members. Its leader was Lakyus Alvein Dale Aindra, she is a member of the peerage, she is also capable of resurrection magic. If our worst-case scenario were true she should be able to resurrect Her Majesty."

"Securing her help would have been crucial especially when my sister's whereabouts are still unknown. Then whose next?."

"There are also female warriors name Gagaran, the twin Ninja called Tia & Tina & the mysterious magic caster called evileye."

"They're proper adamantite adventurer team am I correct?. But I doubt they can defeat Jaldabaoth."

"That is still unknown information. But they are the ones who supported Vass the black during his fight with Jaldabaoth. I heard Evileye is fighting moon demon there."

"Moon Demon?. We haven't encountered them right?."

"There is no report about them appearing in the Holy Kingdom but I think we should prepare for the worst."

"Maybe the southern army encounter it?."

"That would be unlikely. Even if they encounter it I doubt they would be kind enough to share that information with us."

The invasion of the Holy Kingdom brought destruction throughout the Northern part of the country. But the Southern part remains almost unscathed this is due to a natural barrier that septated the two.

The word separated is perfectly described their situation. Both sides opted for autonomous governing which means they both could operate without the other help. Although the center of national power is held by the Holy king - The holy queen now - in the capital Hoburn, the noble on both sides still held quite an influence on the state affairs.

As expected the two sides develop a rivalry with each other. Although this rivalry remained in check by the Royal Family & Religious order but during the reign of Calca Bessarez the rift between the nobility & Royalty getting worse because she is the first-ever female leader of the country.

With that in mind counting on the Southern Holy kingdom for aid was almost impossible to get especially when the whereabouts of Holy Queen Calca & High Priestess Kelart - Remedios sister - are still unknown.

"We'll wait for squire Neia to return then prepared a meeting with the Blue Rose."

******

Later that evening they are headed to the private guest's lounge, a place to discuss business in private.

Remedios and vice-captain Gustavo sat at the sofa opposite of where Blue Rose would be seated while the other Paladins - and one squire - are on standby across the room.

Not long after their preparation was over a paladin task with fetching the Blue Rose come in and announce the arrival of the Blue Rose.

Remedios and Gustav rose from their seat and greeted the newly arrived Blue Rose. Remedios tried her best to act as an envoy of her Majesty Holy Queen. Even though she was more accustomed to a fight, she had withness her liege engaged in such meeting. So all she has to do was tried her best to mimic the Holy Queen.

"It's nice to meet you honored members of Blue Rose."

Remedios extended her arms for the handshake to welcome Blue Rose. Beautiful young women come accepting her handshake.

"It's nice to meet the envoy of the Holy Kingdom here, especially the bearer of the legendary holy sword Safarlisia captain Remedios Custodio."

"Ah, it is also an honor to meet you lady Lakyus Alvain Dale Aindra the bearer of Kilineiram sword. Now please take a seat."

After that brief exchange of pleasantries, both sides were seated at their designated spot facing each other.

"I can not thank you enough for accepting our invitation. We heard many of your exploits."

"We are all glad to hear that. Hopefully what you anything that you heard about us is good."

"Certainly daring exploits of the fame Blue Rose could make everyone boil with excitement."

"Ah-."

Just as Lakyus about to say something Evileye the magic caster of the group interrupts their conversation.

"Oy leader why don't we skip the empty pleasantries and get right away to a business matter?."

"Evileye!. Ahem, well my apologies Your excellency Remedios, shall we begin?.'

"certainly."

The atmosphere of the room suddenly begins to get stiffer. A sign that everyone from the Blue Rose and Paladin order is getting more serious, especially with the topic of this discussion.

"Firstly I would like to inform you that everyone here is part of paladin order and I would like them to hear our conversation. Is that okay for you?."

The Blue Rose look at each other first then its leader Lakyus said. "Certainly that wouldn't be a problem for us."

Evileye once again interrupting their conversation and said:

"First thing first let's discuss our payment. Well, I believe you had a fund for that. But to be honest we would happier if we could receive information other than few gold coins."

"Evileye!. Could you watch your mouth, please!."

"It's alright lady Lakyus. I am not very accustomed to heavy talk myself."

Evileye let out a faint laugh under her mask. While Lakyus let out a sigh while placing her hand on her face. A gesture Remedios very familiar with in fact his vice-captain is doing it right now. Ignoring their plight - or is she just oblivious to it?.- Remedios continue their conversation.

"And what do mean by information Lady Evileye?."

"We would like to have to gather as much information from the Holy Kingdom as possible."

"I think that would impossible for us to do so." Now is Vice-Captain turn to interject with their conversation.

Remedios looks at him with concealing her confusion. She internally questions his decision but in the end, she goes with what he said. After all, he was a lot smarter than she is. He must have a reason.

"Are you sure about that?."

"Please let's pay you with the appropriate fee," Remedios said while placing a small pouch of coin on the table.

"Whatever you want I guess. Tia!."

The thief snatch the pouch from the table and weighed it on her hand to see if they paid the appropriate price. That action alone would be disrespectful to clients and showing signs of distrust especially when addressed to an envoy from a foreign nation. But they are an adamantite rank adventurer although their leader disapproved of such action in front of clients such action ultimately wouldn't affect their bottom line moreover Remedios or any of the Paladin doesn't seem to mind them.

"Just as we are on the same page here, We will talk about Jaldabaoth, right?. The one who attacked the royal capital & currently ravaging your country?.

"You knew?."

"But of course. Why wouldn't we don't know something the noble know about?. And besides adventure guild do share information regardless of the border."

Gustavo smiled bitterly and said, "As expected of Adamantite rank adventurer."

In response, Evileye just gives a smug "mmhf." While looking all proud behind her mask.

"Then, just to make sure is this the same Jaldaboth that attack your country?."

Evileye hand reaches out into her robe and produces a drawing. Then she placed said drawing on the table in front of her.

"Yes, that him, that the bastard."

A mere drawing of the demon Emperor Jaldabaoth made Remedios's blood boil. Sudden bursts of awful memories flooded her but luckily she managed to pull herself together and not cause a scene.

"Is that so?, then let me tell you what happens to royal capital during the disturbance-.'

After that Evileye and the Blue Rose tell the story of the disturbance. Most of them were the same as what happens in Remedios homeland, as the Demon army, their type and some kind of super-powerful magic items that attract Jaldabaoth in the first place.

"Then did you know the origin of Jaldabaoth?."

"Unfortunately no vice-captain-dono. The adventurer guild, the kingdom scribe, and various other noble have already formed a group dedicated to found out more about Jaldabaoth. But alas our efforts still haven't borne any fruit."

"Have you tried asking the demon by summoning them?."

"We've thought about that but the fact that summoning demons taint the soul makes demon summoners extremely rare or at least among the above-ground magic caster that is."

"Well, the diabolist tends not to make friends with normal people. Just like a necromancer, all evil type magic caster is disliked among the nation. Well, I guess it can't be helped."

That information seems important. I should discuss it further with Gustavo.

After that, Evileye gives information about the moon demon. The person that seated beside her give more interest.

Moon Demon.

A special elite squad of Jaldabaoth consists of twelve demons that could rival and/or even surpassed adamantite teams. During the disturbance, all twelve of them show up once Jaldabaoth has been defeated by adamantite rank adventurer Vass from the Sword of Darkness.

They protected Jaldabaoth during his retreat from the Royal capital. All except one who stayed to fight injured and exhausted Vass.

It was said their battle is legendary. With both sides trying to get the advantage of one another with technique never seen before. A mere description of with was enough to make Remedios listen in awe.

The battle itself was witnesses by groups of adventurers that were sent into the demon territory, the City guard that comes with them, the famed Brain Unglaus, the boy who served the Golden Princess, a people who were saved by them, and the king himself.

It was truly a spectacle to see. A legendary battle between a great hero and a demon that will be told for centuries.

"Vass from the sword of darkness and his companion Yuri. Was they really that strong?."

When a topic about Vass come out Evileye demeanor completely changed from before. Right now she was acting like a lovestruck schoolgirl clasping her hands like a prayer talking about how great Vass is.

Seeing that Evileye right now was in a no right stage of mind other members pick up where she left off.

"Yeah, I witness the fight between Vass and one of Moon Demon named Roku. The fight so epic that made me wonder how was the fight between him and Jaldabaoth that are largely unseen by everyone except for when Vass use his ultimate techniques."

"Is that so. So you telling me that this Vass and his companion could defeat Jaldabaoth?."

"OF COURSE HE CAN!!." A sudden shout comes from Evileye. It seems that she was calmed enough to listen to their conversation but still on a stage where she can give proper answered.

"Evileye!, calm yourself."

"Alright leader. Everyone my apologies."

"It's alright lady Evileye. If you put that much faith in Vass, he must be a very reliable man indeed."

"Of course he is. He should be the one who you should visit first, not us."

"Where we can find him?."

Evileye seems kind of dejected. So Lakyus take over their conversation once again.

"He has sworn fealty to the mysterious Kingdom of Ainz Ooal Gown. Speaking of which did you know anything about the king of Ainz Ooal Gown?."

"The man who called himself Paladin king?. According to my sister, no we got nothing about him on our records."

"We heard he control an army of undead & other monsters. Our order specifically forbids that so he couldn't come from our paladin order." Gustavo added.

"Is it possible that he erased some of your histories & manipulate them?." The thief Tia asked

This question is too hard I'll Gustavo answered it.

"That I really don't know anything about that. Our records are pass down through written & oral history. To manipulate such systems he must be able to manipulate large quantities of people's memories especially sage, scribe, and priests that writing our records."

"Still that isn't farfetched right?. Considering that he managed to massacre 180.000 of the kingdom army in one spell."

"What!?. Paladin magic is largely healing, buff, defensive, and anti-evil although some of us could use offensive but is not stronger than average divine magic casters."

"That not all, the paladin king managed to resurrect 48.000 soldiers after his fight against the warrior-captain Gazef Stronof."

After Lakyus's word the entire paladin - and one squire - including Vice-captain and Remedios loses their discipline and loudly voices their disbelief.

"I don't believe it.", "Is that true?.", "Isn't that the power of the gods?." Could be heard across the room. But who could blame them?. Even the blue rose was like that when they heard about the Battle - massacre - of Katze plains. So they let the paladin - and one squire - be for now.

After a while, things have calmed down a little and order has managed to regain control of the room once more.

"Ahem, we are sorry about that," Remedios apologize while bowing her head.

"Don't worry about it. We are also like that when we heard about that news for the first time. Such was a man who capable of creating miracle and tragedy at the same time."

"Wait, you said that Warrior-captain fought against the Paladin king before he resurrected kingdom army and I heard that he still survived the battle. Did he win against the Paladin king?.

"No, he was defeated but not killed. He said that the Paladin respected lord Gazef loyalty to the kingdom and it was said that Lord Gazef and Paladin's king has some kind of history."

The room went quiet for a moment. It seems everyone here contemplating that last piece of information. Then Lakyus broke the silence.

"That why we must gather as much information as possible. So if you have important information, please give it to us. We will pay an appropriate fee for that."

Remedios and Gustavo look at each other. It seems that Remedios wanted Gustavo to take over the negotiations process.

"Other than with money we would like something else."

"Well, I could guess but said it anyway. What is your demand?."

"We would like to acquire your help in fights against Jaldabaoth."

"That bit expensive. Are you sure you don't want the contact of noble or even members of the royal family?."

"Fortunately, we already have such contact ourselves. I myself just met prince Zanact yesterday."

"Somebody has been doing their homework."

"Tina, we are still talking with our clients now. Please be more polite."

"It's alright oni leader depending on circumstances they will be our comrades."

Tina's words bring hope up for the paladin order. Acquiring their help was a great success especially for Lakyus who could perform resurrection magic.

Lakyus let out a sigh. "We will take up your offer but with certain conditions."

"First we must be appropriate compensate."

"Of course the Holy kingdom shall prepare a large sum."

"Alright then, the second is a guarantee."

"A guarantee?."

Lakyus raised her hand forward indicating that she wasn't done yet.

"A guarantee that you have someone to defeat Jaldabaoth."

"That's I think there are non- "

Just as Gustavo wanted to say something. but then cut off by Remedios.

"You want us to bring Vass & Yuri from the sword of darkness with us right?."

It was quite unexpected that coming from Remedios. Yes, she has below-average intelligence but when it comes to battle-related things she was a genius among geniuses.

"As expected of Captain." Lakyus while pointing her index finger to Remedios.

"But that impossible."

"Not exactly. All you have to do is ask the King of the kingdom of Ainz Ooal Gown for assistance."

Lakyus smiled somewhat wickedly.

Author note:

This is a sequel to my previous work OVERLORD: Paladin of pure silver. If you want to ask some question I'll try my best to answer it.

Continue Reading