SHELTER

By lrobinson

As far as Jolie was concerned, all hope was lost. She bought a bike and headed off into the sunset to wander... More

Preface
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29

Chapter 18

6K 343 13
By lrobinson

Warren called in a favor from a previous employee at the range and took the next few days off. His manager had the gym well in hand. Jolie downright sparkled with happiness. Jake had smiled widely and expressed his gratitude. Warren hadn't missed how phony his smile, not to mention his gratitude had been.

What Jolie thought was all that mattered. She was happy, that was clear but he'd definitely picked up an undercurrent of anxiety in her demeanor. He didn't know if it was in regards to their visitor specifically or just the unexpected intrusion. Either way, he'd stick by her side until he was sure she was comfortable.

He had ulterior motives as well. Being nearby made it easy to keep an eye on Jake Monroe.

After breakfast Jake had made a call back to Idaho. Dustin, Maria and the girls had expressed surprise at his location once he'd gotten them on speaker phone. It seemed that Jake hadn't shared his plans with anyone at home either. Warren noted an air of irritation in Dustin's tone that his friend had quickly amended for the sake of the conversation.

Warren vowed to call later and get the scoop on what exactly had ruffled Dustin's feathers.

The girls insisted on singing Jolie the song they'd sung at their Christmas concert and listing off the numerous gifts they'd received. With a small prompt, they thanked her for the gifts she'd sent.

Warren's heart warmed watching her smile and laugh listening to their childish chatter. Maria took over the call and asked more adult questions in regards to their holiday. She seemed pleased to hear Jolie had joined in with Warren's family and enjoyed herself.

She directed many questions to Jolie and Warren as a couple. He couldn't help enjoying her friend's acceptance. It didn't matter in the long run, but petty as it may have been, he enjoyed the fact the Jake wasn't as involved in the conversation.

The other man sat back and observed Jolie and himself. From his posture and body language he wasn't pleased with what he saw. By the end of the call he'd retreated back into the depths of the overstuffed chair he occupied with his arms crossed and his face blank.

Jolie ended the call and turned to Warren with a beatific smile. "I miss them so much. I can't even imagine how tall little Hallie is by now."

"We might have to take a quick trip back some time and see." The words were out before he could pull them back.

A shadow crossed her face quickly and was gone. "Maybe."

He sought hope in the fact she hadn't completely shot down the suggestion. Maybe she was open to the idea of the two of them having a future. Even after the spring.

He ground his teeth when he saw the smirk that had taken up residence on his visitor's face.

Smirk it up dickhead. It doesn't mean it won't happen.

Jolie excused herself to take a shower and change. Warren promised to think of things of interest in the area while she was gone.+

He knew he didn't imagine the sudden relaxing of her posture as soon as she was behind Jake and out of his sight.

Once she was out of earshot Warren squared his shoulders for the conversation to come. If he were in the other man's place he'd want to get his cards out on the table and gather information while she was busy. It'd be much easier to be blunt and to the point.

Warren only wished he were more physically prepared. He'd managed to grab an old t-shirt to add to his pajama bottoms but he was still woefully underdressed in comparison to the living ken doll wannabe opposite him.

He wasn't disappointed, only two minutes of awkward silence elapsed before the other man started his assault.

"You served with Luke and Dustin?" Jake uncrossed his arms and tried to appear at ease. Unfortunately, he had a tell, his bouncing leg outted him.

"Yes, I did. You work for the police department with Dustin right?" It was obvious the other man intended on still upholding the semblance of polite conversation. Warren would have preferred the more direct approach but he could play along.

"I do. We are on opposite shifts right now. We don't see much of each other lately." Jake rubbed his left palm on his knee as if to blot sweat. "What do you do now that you are back in the civilian world?"

It was clear to Warren that he had the upper hand in the situation. The other man seemed to be struggling to manufacture and maintain his show of confidence.

Jake Monroe was a couple inches shorter and Warren estimated at least thirty pounds lighter. The other man was fit but slender and less imposing. Warren out massed him easily and coupled with his chiseled features, dark complexion and brooding looks, he made an intimidating figure.

"I own a competition grade, indoor gun range and a gym here in town." He gave it a moment for his information to sink in.

Process the implied threat asshat.

The other man cleared his throat. "It was really great of you to help Jolie out. She looks good. Was she seriously injured in her accident?"

"It's been my pleasure. One of the greatest I've ever received actually," Warren leveled his stare at the other man and held it for several seconds before continuing. A little psychological warfare was fare game. "She had a few minor injuries but she healed fine. In fact, she's healed in a lot of ways in the time she's been here."

The blonde man straightened in his chair with a jerk. "Jolie does a good job of putting on a front that she's fine but she's been through a lot. I would hope you'd have the conscience not to take advantage of a vulnerable person."

Warren flexed the muscles of his jaw. The worm had found his spine. It was in response to some misguided need to protect Jolie from Warren. No doubt it would almost have been almost admirable if he hadn't just insulted both Warren and Jolie, all but telling him he was harming a woman who couldn't made decisions for herself. His fingers flexed. They wanted to double onto themselves and connect forcefully with the arrogant little prick's jaw.

Jake seemed to realize his mistake and his face sat like stone as he tried to hold his show of bravado until Warren decided whether to hurt him or not. Seconds ticked by while Warren, carefully, chose his words.

"Jolie is a strong woman. Physically, mentally and emotionally. She is more than capable of making the right decisions for her life. I respect that about her and so much more," He took a controlled breath. "Our relationship is our business. I would never hurt her and I would tear to pieces anyone else who tried."

The tense silence that followed practically vibrated the air. Warren decided his point had been received. He didn't trust himself not to elaborate or the other man not to provoke him further.

"I'm going to go change. Make yourself at home; help yourself to whatever you need in the kitchen. It should only be a minute." He tried to sound cordial but knew it came across stiff. He rose and nodded at the other man before retreating to his room.

***

Warren gave himself a good thirty count to relax his muscles and reverse the affects of his anger. He dressed quickly. Jolie would be done soon and the less time alone with her closet stalker, the better.

He couldn't quite put his finger on the exact problem. He didn't necessarily see the other man as a threat. Jolie showed no romantic inclination toward him. He wouldn't physically, or logistically, be capable of abducting her even if he wanted to.

The only real threat he could see would be the possibility that Jake would use his history and connection to her home to influence her to leave and return to Idaho with him. She'd shown no desire to return to her home despite admitting she missed Dustin, Maria and their children. While she still talked about leaving in the spring, it was always to some unknown destination as she continued her wandering ways.

Warren still held out hope he'd be able to convince her he was worth putting down new roots for. Maybe that was it? If he hoped to convince her to stay he had to believe her decisions could be swayed. If she could be swayed by him, why not by Jake Monroe?

Warren shook his head. That was not a possibility.

By the time he exited his room he'd deduced a plan to keep the trio busy for the day that included a tour of the city, hitting the local museum, taking his enemy out to dinner and dropping him back at his hotel early so he could catch up on his rest.

Jolie was pleased with the itinerary. She'd called Estelle and begged an additional day off.

That left him with two more of the five days to fill. Monroe would be on his own while Jolie was at work but would likely show his too pretty mug in the evenings. Overall, Warren felt confident he could manage the week so that Jolie would have very little one on one time with Jake.

Friday would be the New Year's Dance and his final night in town. Warren smiled thinking about the following morning when the other man would pack himself back north, hopefully, never to be seen again.

Jolie pulled him from his brooking as she bustled down the hall wrapping her scarf around her neck and trying to secure a mitten at the same time with her teeth.

"Hey babe, let me help you with that." He pulled her in close to him so that he could breath her scent in deep. He tucked the ends of her scarf through the bight at the end and snugged it in. Then he adjusted her hat before tugging both her mittens up over the cuffs of her jacket. He couldn't help himself, he bent down and kissed her nose.

When he pulled back he was face to face with a crossed eyed Jolie sticking her tongue out at him. He bust out laughing.

"That is hot!" He teased.

"This is all yours babe!" She moved in to deliver a kiss to him with her face still contorted. He surprised her by pulling her up flush to his body and locking his arms beneath her bottom and lifting her.

"I'll take it." He growled and planted his lips possessively on hers. She framed his face with her mittened hands and kissed him back. She smelled like oranges and cloves today and it was delicious.

The moment was ruined by the front door opening followed by a rush of cold air and Jake's loud apology.

Jolie disengaged her lips with a blush and Warren let her slidE slowly back down until her feet touched the floor. He kept his arms locked around her as they turned to see their guest. He'd retrieved his hat, gloves and snow boots from his rental car. He stood ready with what Warren assumed was his best imitation of innocence and excitement.

How in the world does this guy deal with criminals? He couldn't bluff his way out of a paper bag.

Jolie clapped her hands together creating a muffled thump. "Let's get this tour bus on the road. I cleaned out the back seat of the pickup." She kissed Warren on the cheek before turning and passing through the door to the garage.

Warren held the door and motioned for the other man to follow. "Please, guests first."

Stone faced, Jake walked through the living area and passed into the garage. Warren followed after the man with a smile of triumphant confidence on his face.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

764 2 24
When she is bullied alone no one there for her. She meets someone a guy. Will it change her, her life? Will she fall in love, will she not? Read to f...
10.1K 203 39
They said that we all have a path to choose but what happens when your live turns up side down, from one minute to the next. The one person that was...
1.8K 128 27
When 16 year old Hannah meets a boy that she met online she realizes that being friends isn't the only thing either one of them wants. They both want...
961 21 10
A young girl named Emma has a virtual boyfriend. How will this end? Will they get trough? Maybe they will see each other some time, or maybe it will...