Purposely Made

Od TheCurlyGirls

Thirty-one year old Bailey is a mother of three, and is happily married to the love of her life. However, lif... Viac

Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four

Chapter One

17 1 0
Od TheCurlyGirls

"Hi, I need you to be in the car in five minutes. I am not joking. And Peter, put some pants on! You are not leaving this house in your underwear," Bailey barked as she left a large streak of mascara across her eyelid. Groaning under her breath, she knew that they would be late to church yet again.

"Honey, have you seen my face lotion? I really don't want to get sunburnt today. You laugh, but just wait until everyone we know has skin cancer, except me cause I wear sunscreen," Noah said as he came into the room in his dress shirt and some neon athletic shorts, tugging at his collar.

"Uh, I think that it's on the shelf above the sink," Bailey replied with a vague wave of her arm.

"I already checked there," Noah whined as he rebuttoned the top of his shirt for the fifth time.

"Eve was playing with it earlier. Ask her."

Noah threw her a quick 'thank you' before stumbling towards Eve's bedroom. She was sitting on her bed playing candy crush. Bailey could only catch little bits of the conversation, but it sounded like Eve hadn't seen the lotion either. Meanwhile, the twins were stomping up and down the stairs, hollering at each other and their mother simultaneously. 

"Mom!" Eve screamed as she ran into Bailey's and Noah's room. "Peter took my phone!" 

"Peter give Eve back her phone," Noah ordered. The youngest of the twins ran into the room with a frown on his face. Peter glared at Eve then shoved the phone into her hands.

They...they aren't ready for church, she thought.

"Now, look at your body. If you don't have both pants and socks on, then march your butt right back to your room and fix that." Bailey added, motioning for them to leave. Bailey gave Noah a side look that said If-you-don't-put-the-kids-in-the-car-in-the-next-five-mintues-I-will-kill-someone. Noah gulped nervously, and shoved the kids out of the room. Both of the children sighed and returned to their rooms to finish clothing themselves. Bailey let out and exasperated sigh once they left. 

Finally, I'm alone, Bailey thought as she fixed up her makeup. When she was done she checked to see if there was anything that could be fixed or applied. Suddenly, she felt someone's arm snake around her waist. Bailey turned her head to the side and felt Noah's breath on her neck. Oh wait, I have a husband that forgot how to put clothes on. I think I was the one that caused that, considering what we did most of first year of marriage.  

"Yes, Noah?" Bailey whispered. 

"You don't have to wear makeup to look beautiful you know," he purred. She turned around, her lips centimetres away from his. "You is kind, you is smart, you is important," he quoted. 

"That was so cheesy," Bailey breathed. "The first thing, I mean." 

"You know you love it," cooed Noah. Bailey glanced at his peach colored lips then looked back into his eyes, which were lit with affection. He gazed into her warm brown eyes so intensely that it gave her the urge to kiss him. Bailey fought that urge seeing as she just put lipstick on. She looked down and saw that Noah still hasn't gotten the shirt right. 

"You're doing it wrong," Bailey whispered as she unbutton his shirt, revealing his muscular chest. "You'd think that after our first and second year of marriage that you would remember how to get dressed and how to undress," she chuckled. 

"Well, maybe you could teach me," Noah flirted. 

Bailey pulled him closer to her after she fixed his shirt and whispered, "maybe I will...after Church. Speaking of church we are..." Bailey trailed off to check her watch. She let out a loud yelp when she saw the time. "THIRTY MINUTES LATE! OH HE -- UH -- HECK NO! MOVE IT! IN THE CAR NOW!" 

Within two minutes, everybody was in the car after some rampant organization and some sugary incentive. The car ride to Church took about fifteen minutes so by the time they got there, everyone was already seated politely and were preparing to worship.

Bailey took the time in the car to check herself, making sure that she was mentally ready to face the church. It took her a minute, but by the time that they arrived, she felt prepared to take on the congregation.  

As they opened the front door to the church, the hinges squeaked confidently, causing every head in the large room to turn. Bailey felt her cheeks heat up as they shuffled towards some vacant seat. 

"Let's sit here." She whispered, motioning subtly to the closest row to the back, which was still empty. 

"Bailey, this is the back of the church. Don't you want to sit in the front of the church with Mom and Dad?" Noah hissed through his teeth. She shook her head vigourously. 

"No, too far. Right here is perfect, isn't it, Naomi?" Bailey asked, smiling. The older twin looked up at her mother and shook her head. 

"Momma I want to sit with Grandma and Grandpa!" Naomi screeched. For the second time that morning, all the heads whipped in the family's direction. 

"Inside voice, Naomi!" Bailey whispered as harshly as she could, but it was too late. Naomi nodded absently as she skipped down the center aisle and plopped herself against her grandmother, who squeezed her gently and pressed soft kisses to her forehead. 

Bailey sighed reluctantly and herded the others up to the front. She watched as Noah waited until they were all seated before taking his place in the aisle chair. Thankfully, she had three children between her and Noah's mother. 

Church seemed to last an excruciatingly amount of time, with Deborah glaring at her daughter-in-law the whole time. As the pastor ended the closing prayer, Bailey rounded the kids up as fast as she could to leave. 

"Bailey, honey, where are you going so quickly. Come, stay while. I promise, it's no problem," Debroah's faux voice rung out over the rows of chairs, leaving Bailey no choice but to stay. The kids ran off to the playground out back, while the adults stood in the pews and chatted. 

"Honestly, Bailey, it's almost as if you don't like us, the way you were running off. But we both know that's not true," Deborah taunted politely. Bailey tried her best to ignore the underhanded insults which every one of her mother-in-laws sentences were riddled with. 

"Oh, uh, sorry Mom, I just figured that we'd get out of your hair," Bailey replied awkwardly. She wondered in vain if there was a way to get out of forty-five minutes of torturous conversation. 

"Nonsense, you are no imposition. Stay. The men are off helping Pastor Jeremy fix the water heater, and it's just us girls here. Come," Deborah offered regally. Again, Bailey had no choice but to accept. 

"Alright, I guess we can stay a little longer. But we do have an appointment later this afternoon. The kids need haircuts, and it was almost impossible to get them all in at the same time," Bailey tried to make conversation, but she trailed off as she saw Deborah's face. 

"Bailey! Taking your children to an appointment on a Sunday! This is the Sabbath, and that is an errand. You can reschedule." 

"Oh, well, it took me weeks to get this appointment—" Bailey began her retort, but was quickly hushed by Deborah. 

"No, I won't hear of it. Here, look, Debbie! Debbie! Come and sit a spell! I need to ask you something," Deborah called to a young women about Bailey's age. Bailey tried to hide her grimace, realizing that Debbie and Deborah were both going to be dishing out quietly-rude comments about her, her family, and her past. 

"Now Debbie, do you think that Bailey here should take her children to get their hair cut today?" Deborah started as she pulled Debbie's thin frame onto the seat next to her. Bailey couldn't help but be angered by her size-two body, even though she knew that she shouldn't. 

"Oh, of course not! Why, it's the Sabbath! Honestly, Bailey. I know that you weren't raised in the Church, but even as a new Christian, you should know that!" Debbie decided, gently pushing a lock of perfectly straight blonde hair from her face. 

"Oh, I'm not a new Christian, and I do know that but—" 

"No buts, I won't have it. You just need to reschedule. It is my job, as basically your mother, seeing as your real one wasn't ready for a child, to guide you, and I know that you need to keep the Sabbath Holy. You might regret this someday." Deborah's words cut into Bailey in a way that neither would fully understand, but Bailey was about ready to blow. 

"I agree, Deborah. I'm basically Bailey's sister, seeing as your like a mother to me, and I agree. She will regret this someday when she's older and a more experience Christian," Debbie smiled sweetly at Bailey, who struggled to restrain the urge to stick out her tongue and allow a stream of curse words to leave her mouth. The urge to slap Debbie was so overwhelming that Bailey's hands twitched a little. Thankfully, a calming a relaxing voice called behind her. 

"Mom," Noah called. Even though Bailey wasn't looking directly at him, she could tell that he was smiling. Deborah stood up with a bright smile and hugged her son. 

"Noah, dear, why haven't you called? I've been waiting," Deborah said in her I'm-a-good-mom-voice. 

Noah scratched the back of his head nervously. "I have work, Mom. You know that. And I've been texting you though, you know, on your phone." 

Deborah blinked at him blankly, before rolling her eyes. "Honestly Noah, you shouldn't be playing on that thing so much. It is so silly to be texting people when you could just call them? Bailey, you shouldn't work him so hard. He doesn't even have time to call his own mother!" 

"Mom, stop. Bailey doesn't work me too hard," Noah sighed, giving Bailey a side smirk that only she could see. Doesn't work you too hard, my butt, Bailey thought. I think I do work you a little TOO hard. Bailey was too caught up in her thoughts that she forgot that Noah was still talking. "In fact, she works way more than I do. I just have been picking up some extra shifts at the office, that's all. And I'll try to call more. I promise." Noah said, cutting off his mother before she could say anything more to or about Bailey. He snaked his arms around Bailey's waist in solidarity. He knew just how rough his mother could be. 

"Oh, Deborah, have you seen the new pans in the church kitchen? After the silent auction, we had enough to buy the good ones, and they are just amazing!" Debbie said, looping her arm with  Deborah's. "Let me show you. Oh, Bailey you can come too, though you haen't really had to cook on the old ones much, so you won't be able to understand just how amazing these new pans really are." 

Debbie dragged Deborah along as Bailey reluctantly followed, knowing full well that she would be judged for staying behind, even if she couldn't care less about the pans. 

As they entered the kitchen, which was in the back of the church, the odor of over-cooked casseroles and box mashed potatoes, which was what was was currently simmering on the stove, overwhelmed Bailey's system. She had to resist the urge to cover her nose as the pungent smell invaded her nostrils. 

"Here they are, under the sink. Bailey, hurry up, you're always behind. Anyway, just look at them! Aren't they the best things that you've ever seen?" 

"Definitly!" 

As the two ladies continued to prattle, Bailey simply stood uncomfortably behind them as they shuffled from the cupboard to the stove, testing out the pans and reveling about how great they looked there. Bailey turned subtly and rolled her eyes to the wall, trying to contain her sighs. 

"Honestly Bailey, why are you just standing over there? Come and feel this pan. Doesn't it just feel high-quality?" Debbie was pushing a cast-iron pot into Bailey's arms. Bailey, who wasn't expecting a three-pound pan to suddenly appear in her hands, fumbled to get ahold of it and the pot promptly fell to the ground with a defeating crash. 

The thunderous pulsating spread through the kitchen, and could even be felt from the church pews. Bailey's peach lips were still turned up into a 'O' as she tried to fathom what was happening. 

By the time that Bailey's eyes dained to open, she was met with a pile of dented metal on the ground. 

Debbie's eyes were filled with tears as she stared at the ruined pan. But it was Deborah who could properly express her emotions in that minute. 

"BAILEY! How could you? Ugh, I should've known. You are such a klutz!" Deborah's voice was shrill and her eyes narrowed and she crossed her arms over her chest. Bailey had never seen anyone look so frightening. 

"I'm so sorry! I just wasn't expecting to have to hold it and I wasn't ready and it was heavier than I thought and then it just slipped and I am just so sorry please forgive me!" Bailey was speaking faster than she ever had, and even though her head knew that she hadn't done anything wrong, somehow she just couldn't bring herself to face her fears and to stand up to Deborah. 

"Uh, don't try to pin this on me! I figured that you would be ready. You are a mom. You're supposed to have good reflexes. I mean, I'm not a mother yet, but I have great flexes from working in the nursery, which is basically just as hard. I just expected you to know how to handle a pan. I guess that Noah must do most of the cooking. He is a great cook. At least, he was when we were dating," Debbie had found her voice, which cracked pathetically as she tried to keep her voice down, seeing as they were in a church. 

Deborah dipped down and picked up the pan, inspecting the large dips in the metal. It was definitely still functional, but somehow Bailey assumed that fact wouldn't be accepted as 'good' news. 

"I'm sorry, I have to go. I'll see you next Sunday." Bailey's voice was smaller than she had planned, as she scuttled out of the kitchen, avoiding eye contact with everybody on her way to find Noah. When she saw that he wasn't in the row of chairs she left him in, she made her way to the maintence room underneath the stairs. As she cracked open the door, she could see the dim figure of Noah and his father, Abraham. They were bent over the water heater, puttering with it in an attempt to fix it. The musky smell of the room was strong, but inviting to someone like Bailey, who grew up fixing things in small closets like this. 

Bailey walked up to Noah and tried to retain the small tears that wanted to escape her eyes away.

"Hey, Abraham," Bailey squeaked. "Um, I'm sorry to interrupt your conversation, but it's time for our family to leave," Bailey said.

Noah looked into her eyes, searching for an answer. Bailey ignored him and dragged him away from his father. Bailey sent word along with Eve, who was sitting on the floor with Sara, coloring. It was less than a minute before two annoyed children appeared.  

"I don't wanna, Momma!" Namoi yelled. Bailey winced as she felt all the eyes of the church on her, yet again.

"Namoi, we're leaving and that's the end of it," Bailey hissed, dragging Namoi into the car.

Getting in the car was a nightmare, Namoi was crying because she didn't want to go into the back, Peter kept on annoying Eve, and Eve kept yelling at Peter. How am I going to survive without Noah here with me, Bailey thought, groaning in her head. Thankfully, Noah put them straight and sat in the driver's seat. He was avoiding my contact and started to drive. I guess he's upset with me, Bailey sighed. Great. What a great Sunday. It's supposed to be relaxing and it turned out a disaster. How could I be surprised; most Sundays turn out like this.

Bailey took comfort in the fact that this was all Satan. He always tried to mess with people's minds, especially when they are worshiping and resting in the Lord, and understood that it was their job to resist him. 

When they arrived home, Noah told the kids to go into the house. "Why?" Peter asked.

"Just go inside the house," Noah ordered.

"C'mon guys," Eve snapped. "Mom is about explode," she whispered. With that, all the kids left the car, leaving Noah and Bailey alone. Bailey looked out the window, trying to avoid Noah's eyes. Maybe if I don't look at him then we won't have to talk about what happened, Bailey thought.

"Bailey, can you please tell me why we left so quickly?" Noah murmured, placing his hand on leg. Bailey was on the verge of tears; how could Noah not know. Didn't he date Debbie? "Please answer me..."

"She's awful," Bailey cried. Soft tears escaped her eyes. Bailey started to care that her mascara was flowing down her cheeks. She opened the mirror and took a face wipe to wipe off the black make up. Noah didn't answer Bailey's cry, instead he helped her wipe of the mascara. When they were done, he pulled Bailey closer to him, giving her an awkward shaped hug. 

"I just dropped a pan! In fact, it wasn't even my fault!" she sobbed.

"Oh, darling," Noah whispered, petting her hair.

"Why do Deliah and Deborah hate me?" Bailey bewailed. "I didn't do anything to them."

"I don't know why, honey," shushed Noah. "But, hey," he said, making Bailey look at him. His eyes stared at her lovingly but stern. "Forget them. Well, don't forget my mom because you always have to see her, but forget Deliah. She sucks. That's why I broke up with her when I had the chance," Noah ranted. Bailey nodded her head, tears escaping her eyes.

"I know you know that your mom is rough sometimes but she's...horrible to me," Bailey whispered.

"I know, and I'm sorry," Noah said, pressing his head against hers. "I really wish I could change that, but I can't control people. I know, I know, it sounds impossible," Noah sighed. Bailey chuckled and wiped away her tears. Bailey pressed her lips against Noah's gently, Noah's lips moved in synchronization with hers. When they pulled away, Noah grinned and raised an eyebrow. "What was that for?" Noah smirked.

"That was for soothing me," Bailey whispered. "But also, because you're leaving for that stupid conference," Bailey sighed.

Noah groaned and tilted his head back. "Ugh, don't remind me," groaned Noah. Bailey smiled and kissed Noah's cheek. "What am I going to do without you for a whole week?" Noah pouted.

"You're going to have to get through the week, and when you get back I'll work you TOO hard," cooed Bailey.

"I knew you were going to get mad at me about that," Noah laughed. Bailey chuckled and moved his face closer to hers. They leaned close together until they heard an ear-piercing yell.

"We have to go. You don't know who might be killing who," Bailey groaned. Noah sighed and walked out of the car. As he walked into the house, Bailey kept thinking about him. Noah has been on business trips, but those are mostly only weekends. He has never been gone for a whole week. Dang, I'm going to miss him.  

Pokračovať v čítaní

You'll Also Like

65.2K 2.5K 46
This isn't the story of how the city girl fell for the cowboy, oh no, this story was how the city boy fell for the home grown country girl. Harper w...
2.6M 71.9K 32
𝘙𝘦𝘮𝘦𝘮𝘣𝘦𝘳 𝘩𝘰𝘸 𝘸𝘦 𝘧𝘰𝘶𝘨𝘩𝘵 𝘰𝘷𝘦𝘳 ' 𝘞𝘩𝘰 𝘭𝘰𝘷𝘦𝘥 𝘸𝘩𝘰𝘮 𝘮𝘰𝘳𝘦?' 𝘐 𝘨𝘶𝘦𝘴𝘴, 𝘐 𝘸𝘰𝘯. ♥️ 𝘚𝘩𝘦 𝘸𝘢𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘣𝘪𝘭�...
Dominion Falls Od Julie Rockwell

Všeobecná beletria

566 50 22
After her parents die unexpectedly, Sarah learns she has inherited an old farm that has been neglected for years. She is determined to make it a wor...
6K 137 27
You never know the fear of falling until you fall, or the shame of tears until you cry, or to guard your heart until it's been broken. Desdemona Ezra...