Fresh Blood (Code Vein Male R...

By OldReliable_Markuss

It seems everyone everywhere is thirsty. So how will our boy (Y/N) survive outside of a shelter with revenant... More

Author's Note
Prologue: Twisted World
Ruined City Underground I
RCU 1.5: Saving Private Oliver
Ruined City Underground II
Ruined City Underground III
Ruined City Underground IV
Finally, a break
Into the City
Impromptu Rescue Mission (2669 words, nice)
Below the Delirious Cocoon...
...and how Alice was saved
It's all Fun and Games
Until Someone Loses their Cool
Family bonds
Down the Rabbit's... Pit?
Hostile Newcomers
To the Rescue... Again
The day of spooks
Execution
Intermission
Inevitability
Architectural Hell
The little sister
Edge of the Crater
Aurora's Crypt
7 Days
Above the White Caps
Mountaintop Truth (ß)
Mountaintop Truth
Breathless Knight
Back Home, Except...
Not what it seems
Designated Rescue Team
Heart of Gold
SSDD
That one song...

No Farewells

1.1K 28 103
By OldReliable_Markuss

(Y/N) had his eyes closed, laying face up in a dark place if the lack of light through his eyelids was anything to go by.

Honestly, he was a bit scared of opening his eyes right now. That's because beneath his back was not the snow of the mountaintop, but a rough stone ground. He'd been kept in a room with stone ground once, a room where sleep was one of three ways to keep himself motivated.

He knew this wasn't it. It couldn't be. Not after all this time, not anymore. But he was still hesitant, afraid of finding out that all his adventures had just been a very good dream. That his thunderous heartbeat right now was nothing but a hallucination...

(Y/N): If not for you, do it for them you little bitch.

Using his number one motivator, he slowly opens his eyes to take in his dark environs.

What he sees... no, what he is rewarded with is nothing other than fair skin and two golden orbs peering down at him with warm affection.

(Y/N): Luca was right, this is a great way to wake up.

He was sprawled out on the ground of... some pocket dimension, Nicola's pocket dimension? It was dark and had no horizon he could see, but there was this mysterious and gentle blue light coming from the "sky" that was just bright enough to light the way and not strain the eyes of the residents.

Io: What do you mean?

Beside him was Io, who was kneeling beside and attentively watching over him. She asked the question with a slight tilt to her head, being cute without even knowing it.

(Y/N): I'll tell you when you're older. *Grunts* Where are the others?

(Y/N) props himself up on his elbows, becoming very aware of how sore his body is after that fall. His question was partially answered by the landscape, which only had one path forward.

Io: They went on ahead.

(Y/N): And didn't want me with them?

Io: They didn't want to disturb you. You looked comfortable laying down to rest.

(Y/N): *Chuckles* Yes, very comfortable in my bed of other-dimensional rocks...

(Y/N) doesn't wait for any reaction to his comment before trying to get up, partly  because he doesn't expect one. Io, with firm and gentle hands, assists him in getting on his feet. His fast heartbeat was somehow noticed by Io through all those clothes too.

Io: Are you nervous?

(Y/N): No, just coming down from the highest adrenaline surge I've ever had.

The human takes a deep breath and unzips the upper part of his jacket, reaching inside as he starts walking to catch up to the others, Io following close behind. This place wasn't all that cold, maybe a bit chilly, but nothing like the mountain he was just on, and the air here felt normal to the point where he could breathe normally like... wait, something was missing. Several somethings were missing.

Palming around on the inside of his jacket, (Y/N) expected to at least prick his fingers a bit on his dangerously hidden stash. but there was nothing in there.

(Y/N): Where the hell are my daggers?

Io: We are always unarmed when we walk into these spaces.

(Y/N) raises his fists, clenching and looking at them with a serious air.

(Y/N): So just Righty and Lefty? I feel exposed.

Io: It's okay, there is no danger in here.

As they walked forward, large statues of Nicola in various poses could be seen in the distance. in all of them he was sitting, thinking. In some he looked up at the stars, in others he looked down in resignation to his fate.

Resignation, yes, but in the most determined of ways. A willing, living sacrifice for his family.

Sounds like a common theme these days, doesn't it?

It's not long until they can see the rest of the group and... little Nicola, in the metaphysical flesh (and without his hat). He held his sister's hands and they were talking about something, too far for (Y/N) and Io to hear.

(Y/N): Damn, I missed the reunion.

Io: You wanted to see it?

Nicola looks at them from all the way over there, asks something and Mia turns to, pointing at the two late people. The boy then waves happily at the distant pair.

(Y/N) and Io wave back, Io's hand barely above her chest and (Y/N)'s just above his head.

(Y/N): Yeah I did. But this is nice too.

The siblings start talking to each other again, understandably tuning out the others while they catch up a little. Just as (Y/N) and Io got to them, they can hear the conversation as the siblings hug each other.

Mia: It's all thanks to you that I met them, Nicola...

It was truly a heartwarming sight, and an even better story to tell someday. Two people, promised to be together forever, separated by incredible circumstances are finally reunited after a harsh battle.

Mia: And you kept me safe all this time. You gave me the strength to go on...

They break off the hug, staring at each other's eyes. It doesn't take too long for their voices to crack and tears to stream.

Mia: You're the reason I'm here. You're why I am able to see the real you again.

Their lips quiver with emotion. Mia's tears seep through her mask frame and drips down her neck, Nicola's tears stain his fluffy scarf leaving darker spots on the white accessory.

Mia: Seeing my little brother again, what more could I ever want?

Nicola: M-Mia...

And then they hug again, unable to contain their feelings any longer. They have so much to talk about, and yet so little time in this perfect space...

Where there was previously nothing, not a sound to be heard, now there was a long, cracking noise. Something you wouldn't hear in a regular day anywhere.

(Y/N): Cracking stone? Is the land where we're standing on—

Alarmed, not wanting to fall into this void of memories, the human casts his gaze down to the floor looking for the source of the sound. But he found something he never expected...

Nicola's feet we're now an ashen statue, much like the ones found in the memories. Was he just another memory from before he frenzied? No, that wouldn't be the worst case scenario.

This was the true Nicola, the innocent, overly responsible little boy who had threaded the line between sanity and frenzying for years while splitting his own existence to protect his elder sister. He just now got to see her again, hear her voice, hold her, but now he was dying

And no one could ever help a revenant turned to ash...

Mia: Nicola Karnstein... you really did become a knight...

The siblings once again separate, looking at each other for what could very well be the last time for the rest of their lives.

Mia: Just like you've always wanted to, my dear little brother.

Nicola's state was progressing rapidly. In the short time it took for Mia to say a single sentence he was already hard ash up to his midriff, soon to overtake his entire upper torso. Mia wipes her own tears and brings her finger to gently do the same to Nicola.

Mia: And you're the bravest... most noble knight of all. I love you Nicola.

Nicola: Thanks Mia...

This was it. His head was about to be transformed too, so his last words were about to be spoken.

And everybody knew what they were...

Nicola: I love you too, sis.

And that was the last he ever spoke, turning into a statue of remarkable detail. The tears that were still falling from his eyes were present on the face of the statue, along that bittersweet smile he held seconds ago.

Mia looked at it for a little longer, embracing what remained of the sweetest little brother to ever grace the group as the gargantuan door on the far end slowly and loudly opened, light streaming out of it.

A minute passes and Mia reluctantly lets go of the ashen statue. The door was still open, waiting for the visitors to leave so this pseudo-world could crumble to nothingness, but that didn't interest her.

Behind her were her friends. All of them had sad but sympathetic looks on their faces, except for two of them. Io was her usual, unreadable self, and (Y/N) had crouched on the floor with his hands covering his mouth and nose, jacket hood pulled up in an attempt to hide his face. He looked really impacted by what he just saw.

(Y/N): Mia...

His voice was strained, and the hood didn't hide his eyes enough so she could see they were reddening a bit. The softie was trying to not cry after the whole ordeal, and he didn't even know the boy at all!

(Y/N): I'm so sorry. I can't imagine how you must feel.

All the others (except Io) were looking away from the human to hide their guilt. There was something they didn't tell him about this whole process.

Mia: They're not telling him, are they?

Mia turned away from (Y/N) to hide the small smile she had, knowing this was a prime opportunity to get back at him from that one conversation they had with Rin.

Mia: I'll play along for a bit...

Mia: It's fine (Y/N). I'm glad I got to have that talk with him, at least. But now that we're all going our own ways... it'll be lonely...

She moved closer to the rest of the group, keeping her facial expression the same sadness/relief she had before.

(Y/N): It doesn't have to be like that, you can... you know what, let's talk about it after we're back home and rested. We're not in shape to make any decisions.

Mia: You're right, we should go. Luca?

Luca rushes past the others, hiding her pleased expression and walking up to the statue, giving it a nice pat in the head and activating the power of the relic within. Light starts pouring out of the statue, right where the heart should be, but this time it wasn't blinding, but soothing and enveloping the others carefully.

It felt like (Y/N) was sitting in light, surrounded by white and very confused as to what was going on. He remembered needing to walk through the door to exit the vestige last time, but they hadn't and yet it felt like they were back in reality.

He felt so because the cold was coming back to his body, that and the very sudden lack of oxygen in the air that made him dizzy and forced him into fast breathing. The white background gradually broke down into snowflakes, giving way to the inside of the crypt and swirling to a spot not too far in front of him.

As the winds calmed and the snow dispersed, something was standing right in the middle of the spectacle. Actually that's a rude way to put it, it is better phrased as: someone was standing right in the middle of the spectacle.

The knight was there, perfectly fine as if the vicious fight they were just in had never happened. He raises his head and all four eyes go over the entire group, which is very stimulating for the nerves.

(Y/N): What the Fu—

Before he can continue, a hand shoots out to block his mouth as an arm snakes itself under his arm to pull him up.

Yakumo: Watch it, the kid is right there.

Looking at the armored lost, he was behaving weirdly. He was looking at his own hands, moving a bit in place, almost as if getting a feel for his own body. Was that still Nicola?

Knight: Mia?

Yes, yes it was. And there was someone who couldn't wait to leap at the opportunity.

Mia: Nicola!

And by that I mean leap at the very large armored child and hug the heck out of them. Mia was only a fraction of his size and simply hung off of the breastplate, holding herself using the opening at his neck.

Nicola uses those big arms to grab his sister off of himself> He carefully tosses her up in the air, getting a little yelp out of her, and catching her in his hands when she came back down. The small girl could almost use a hand as a seat, so using his two hands made for a very secure cradling method.

Mia can't help but giggle a little at the situation. Being held up by her "little" brother was something she never experienced before, and never thought she would. Especially like this.

Mia: You sure have grown!

Nicola: Yeah, this is me now...

Nicola removes the hand under his sister's legs, letting them dangle and having her sit against his arm so he can examine his other limb and show off a bit. He was evidently very excited right now.

Nicola: And I'm much stronger like this!

The revenants, after minutes of getting beat: Yeah, we know...

They take a moment to stare at themselves again, for good reason. This was weird, but nice at the same time, and most important was that they were back together for good this time.

After this little reflection time, they look back to the others who just now really matter. And that made (Y/N) realize that with a hand covering his mouth her was really having trouble breathing, and starts tapping on Yakumo's hand. Yakumo lets go and whispers back.

Yakumo: Woops, sorry about that.

As the human recomposes himself, Nicola lets Mia down so she can approach them and takes a knee right behind his sister, watching quietly as she addresses her friends.

Mia: I really don't know how I can ever repay you all. I owe you a lot...

She takes a chance to look back at Nicola before continuing.

Mia: I owe you everything, but have nothing to give you for it.

Nicola: I'd like to show my gratitude too, but in this shape...

It doesn't take a second for the group to voice their consensus, partly because they had already silently agreed to it before.

Luca: Don't worry, you owe us nothing.

Louis: To be honest, I was hoping you'd come with us, but...

Yakumo: You two have just been reunited. We're not cruel enough to break you two apart again.

(Y/N): Just be sure to enjoy your time together... we'll live.

The siblings look on at the explorers, Nicola in a mix of admiration and gratitude and Mia with more than a bit of worry as (Y/N) gathers the items they dropped on the ground and the others prepared to leave.

After their farewells, the groups split off. Mia and Nicola re staying in the crypt, with a lot to catch up on and talk about, the others are about to head out, scooping up anything they may have dropped in the arena as they leave the crypt.

Outside, where the attendant used to stand was now only a vestige. What had happened to her was a mystery, one which they would never know the answer to...

But that didn't really bother them. After everything they had witnessed and done this past week, a revenant disappearing without explanation is the least jarring story they'd hear, so they kept going back to the mistle. There was one topic still untouched by the group though...

(Y/N): So... none of you could, I don't know... tell me Nicola was fine back in the vestige?!

(Y/N) asks, still somewhere between his relief and anger. Immediately the others start to give their reasoning, Yakumo and Luca laughing at (Y/N)'s antics.

Louis: I was going to, but you looked really invested in the situation. And I hate spoiling the twists...

Yakumo: I was sure you knew about it, but when you started tearing up... I just had to see how it played out, you get that right?

Luca: Even though you didn't know Nicola, you still felt so strongly about it. You were ready to help Mia, it was too cute for me to end it.

Io: You didn't ask. Should I have warned you?

(Y/N) takes a deep breath and lets an equally bigger sigh escape. It was so hard to be mad at some of them, and the others were at least good sports about it.

(Y/N): This better not be the one thing we talk about every time I visit you.

Yakumo: Make sure you top that emotional breakdown before you leave then.

Just like when coming up, the group naturally splits itself as they march, having most people a bit farther ahead while (Y/N) falls behind thanks to the effort he has to put in. Luca was still beside him, and (Y/N) just couldn't resist the chance to ask.

(Y/N): So, you let Mia go just like that.

Luca looks to the side, straight into his eyes with a confused look. Before she can even ask, he speaks up again.

(Y/N): I'm just curious about it. You just accept when a productive member is gone, but insisted I, of all people, keep adventuring with you. Why?

From (Y/N)'s point of view (the jedi were evil), that just made no fucking sense.

Why would they want someone who attracts lost, can't help most times, and is just an overall liability to the group to tag along? Luca not answering the question and just turning her head away wasn't helping him get any closer to the truth either.

Luca: W-well...

Wait, her voice was quieter than usual for some reason. And she stuttered? She didn't usually do that. Oh shit, something was up and (Y/N) was not comfortable with that. But this was the time to be a good friend, so...

(Y/N): It's fine, you can tell me. I promise it won't change anything.

Luca: It won't? The truth is... I didn't want to lose you.

(Y/N): PleasekeepthepokerfaceI'msurethere'sareasonableexplanationforwhatshesaidDon'tletthemindwander...

[TL note: Please keep the pokerface, I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation for what she said. Don't let the mind wander...]

Luca: You are one of my oldest friends, and I don't know how things would change without you here.

(Y/N): I can tell you that things would be much easier if you didn't have to babysit me in these dangerous places. And what's this about being your oldest friend? You literally met everyone except Mia on the same day.

Honestly, nothing felt quite like a woman saying you were her best friend. Those weren't the exact words, but it was the same feeling, and there's always that hint of sadness to think that she doesn't see you as— wait, she's still talking.

Luca: Sure, same day, but there's something different about you. Not the fact that you're weaker than me...

(Y/N) just nods as he listens carefully.

Luca: Or can't use most weapons effectively, or use gifts...

Okay, that's fair.

Luca: Or being almost always useless in a fight unless you're backed into a corner. Needing our constant protection from bigger lost and environmental hazards.

...

Luca: you can't even help with logistics, since you're not a researcher and can't really use the map because you've wandered aimlessly for years...

(Y/N): Okay. I get it. Please make the point...

At that point she was just being unintentionally mean in her attempt to stall.

Luca: When I saw you down under, wounded and scared, I understood how you felt because I was just like that some hours or even minutes before. And when we got to know each other better, I realized we were the same.

(Y/N) wanted to ask about that, but something told him she wasn't done yet. And sure enough, after a little break she kept going.

Luca: We were both lost and afraid, without any sort of aim to guide us. All you had was your family and all I had was Io until we met everyone else. I like them all, but they're different. They know that they fight for some big cause, for the greater good of the Gaol or revenants or humanity, whatever it is... but I don't. And that's why I feel closer to you and Io than the others, we didn't know what we were getting into but still came along for whatever reason, and I think that's part of our bond...

This left (Y/N) speechless, not that he was talking much before. He'd never seen her like that, talking about herself and sounding this sad, but he was sure that with her memories missing she felt like just the borders of a jigsaw puzzle without any of the middle pieces. That must be hard.

He also just now realized that at some point she had gotten closer to him. The path they were on wasn't that narrow, and she had some spare space, but she was almost pressed into his side at this point and he was too distracted looking at her face and listening to her little self reflection to notice.

Luca: So that's why. I know it's silly and maybe even a bit pathetic, but I wanted you there to see what we could accomplish. I guess I was being too selfish though...

She was looking down at the ground ahead of her, not out of caution on where she might step, but out of shame of how she behaved. She was so distracted that she jumped when something warm was wrapping itself around her, and looked up to see that bloody nose and flushed face.

(Y/N): Don't be so hard on yourself. It's not silly, definitely not pathetic, and it's perfectly fine to be selfish sometimes. Especially since you did save my life and helped me find what I was looking for, I owe you a lot so don't hesitate to ask me for anything.

And now there was one new thing that Luca didn't understand. Having him so close to her, looking slightly down to meet her gaze and saying those words made her feel... different. She couldn't bring herself to look away from him, taking in all aspects of his being.

His hair, messy from the wind and battles, those gently lidded eyes, a tired smile, that reddish spot from wiping away his blood resting just above his lip. Just the smell made everything in this mountain want him, but that wasn't it for her...

This wasn't bloodthirst.

(Y/N): What's wrong? Does it feel weird?

Luca: No, it doesn't. It feels great.

(Y/N): I warmed it up the best I could, but you did leave it laying on the snow for a while...

Hold on, what did he warm up now?

Managing to look down, she saw that his arms were beside him. The only thing wrapped around her was the veil she discarded in the crypt, which for some reason made her mutter to herself.

Luca: That's disappointing...

(Y/N): What was that?

Luca: Nothing! But I was thinking, once we get back to the church how about we—

Then something is heard in the distance, coming from right behind them.

???: WAIT!

Turning back, they see something unexpected coming right at them. It was the young one they left behind.

(Y/N): Mia?

Luca: Mia?!

She stops right before them, panting a bit from all the running. What was she doing here? She had just found and freed her brother and had the most touching moment in this tale so far.

Mia: I want to go with you! I want to free the successors!

Luca: But what about Nicola?

Mia: Stopping now would be a mistake. He understands that and is willing to wait, so we have to end it fast for him!

There was no hesitation in her voice, she was not stopping for anything. In cases like these, others can only accept and support their friends.

Yakumo, Louis and Io were farther ahead, dealing with some lost that had reappeared. The trio get's back to walking so they can catch up and head home together.

Mia: By the way, I'm curious about something...

Looking back at the girl, Luca and (Y/N) stare at her inquisitively.

Mia: What was the offer you were going to make me back there (Y/N)?

(Y/N): Oh. That...

He takes a moment to think about it. In truth, he didn't really know what it was either, but still said the first thing that came to mind.

(Y/N): Probably offer you to come to my place with me. I'd hate to do nothing if you really were left alone, so coming with you'd have at least my sister to talk to.

Luca: Wow, that sounds really nice...

Mia: Still, I'm a stranger to them. Would that be fine?

(Y/N): I'd make it work. I think... now can we please go back? I'm tired of the mountain air.

Author's Notes

This is a bit awkward because this was supposed to be in the last chapter's notes. But I, being the fountain of negligence I am, forgot to put it there.

I found some concept art that was (according to reddit user u/Merutan) the form the attendants would take way back when, and wanted to use it for Nicola's attendant. Why make her different you ask? Well...

(Sauce: https://www.reddit.com/r/codevein/comments/efpnqz/official_ages_and_heights_of_various_characters/)

1: She's adorable.

2: A child successor would have gone well with a child attendant. Right?

So why didn't I?

I like it too much and will probably want to use it in an original story.

Whenever those come out...

As always, thanks for the support and I hope you liked this chapter filled with almost no substantial content. How the hell did this reach 4k words?

Until next chapter or convo...

Peace

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

64 10 11
What happens when a boy and a girl with secrets hiding in their blood and start to fall fall in love in each other? Find out now!
4.2K 83 13
ON HIATUS UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE In the City of Vein, revenants and Lost roam the streets feeding on the blood of humans or blood beads to survive. Out...
30 13 15
Felix lives his life on the go with his family. In one day he loses nearly everything. His world has changed. In order for Felix to survive he must a...
25 0 16
After fleeing the city, Venom finds new allies who she stands by for awhile. She continues her search but only finds herself surrounded with new and...