Pins and Needles | Todoroki...

By cityscape_starlight

*Book 1 of 2; Complete* *Previously titled "Fire Melts the Ice of Uncertainty" * *She/her* THIS WILL SOON BE... More

Important Details (And Disclaimers)
Welcome to U.A.'s Hero Course
The First Step Which Shatters a Bone
A Hazy Memory and the Fog of Distress
A Festival of Competition with Unsuspected Reunions
A Fairy in the Forest, Spinning Worries into Wonders
With Every Power You Possess
What is a 'Good Home?'
Just Remember What You Saw Here Today
The Most Heroic are Those Who Hate Heroes
The Fault of the Willing, Punished for Willpower
How I've Missed Thee So
It's Just Fact
I'll Be Your Boyfriend
The Sorrow Masked By Shock
A Sickening Feeling of Devastation and Failure
Welcome Home
You Can't Control Life, Princess
Love Potions are Brewed the Same as Storms
A Pale Dance Dusted Rose
A Day Two Years in the Future
A Peculiar Face, the Expression of a Paradox
An Adventurous Patrol
The Ripped Fabric of Society, Bleached White in Faux Purity
The Icy Fingers of a Child's Loose Grip (on Reality)
What it is to Save a Life
A Whisper of Goodnight and Goodbye
Book 2: A Crying Night Sky

The Most Intelligent are Those Who Know Their Own Stupidity

18 1 0
By cityscape_starlight

・・・ ・・・ ・・・

     "If you don't want the help, I won't give it to you."  She says calmly.  "Midoriya-san seemed thankful so I figured it was rude to not extend the same offer to you."  
     Bakugo glares at her for a long moment.  Like he needed help with class.  Sure, he'd missed 4 days thanks to the fight, but it didn't mean she could treat him like a child.  
     "I can photocopy my notes if you just want those."  
     "Sure, whatever."  
     "Alright."  (Y/N) nods before spinning on her heels and walking away.  

     Maybe she should've been paying attention to the Big Three, but she wasn't.  She only tuned in when she heard the girl addressing Shoto, asking about his scar, but she didn't even give him the time to answer.  As soon as the girl went on to Ashido, she zoned back out again.
     I perform at 5pm on the third day.  They have open lunch between 12-2 when the food is being served, and there's a 30-minute food break from 12:30-1.  That means avoiding 11-3 is a good idea, so I'm safe there.  It's the third to last showcase so the doors will likely open around 6:30.  That might get a little dodgy so I'm going to need to make this opening impactful.  If I'm sloppy, they'll start getting their bags ready to leave.  
     I'm also going to have to be very energetic.  With it being later in the day, that'll make people more tired for the people after me, which means my notes will be better.  If scouts are going to be in the ground this year... 
     Oh, shit!  I'm going to need to mark down those little details I did on impulse.  I should make notes of those before I forget.  When does school get out?  Crap, and I need to photocopy my notes before going back to give to Bakugo-san so he's caught up for tomorrow.  I should ask Sho if I can take his, too.  He'll probably bitch about my handwriting.  
     Are scouts going to be scattered around or will they get priority seating?  Yoshitaka-san said even she has no idea and she's been doing this the longest.  Speaking of which, I should really get her a charm or something, she's been so nice and helpful.  
     I wonder if they'll lessen the number of people allowed in.  They usually allow two free tickets to minor performers and one to the older ones, but will they bring that down this year?  They did say they postponed it thanks to villain activity.  I wonder if I'll get extra work since I have a hero license now.  I should probably email the director and tell her that, just in case there's an emergency.  Maybe I could have Endeavor and Sho on standby, too.  Tell Kaimoto-san to schedule his patrols near the performance center.  Maybe if I get two tickets like normal, I can invite Sho, too.  
     I should probably text Tou-chan and let him know when it is.  Free ticket or not, I know he'll want to be there.  
     Now that I got my seating, I'm going to need to really make this perfect.  One misstep and they'll all know.  I've gotta be as best as I can be.  I'm okay with what I have now but if I don't, the anxiety will kill me, so I know I should.  
     Maybe I should send a recording to Rei-san!  Sho said she used to teach ballet so she'll be able to give me some tips.  Ooh, yikes, she'll probably wreck into my transitions.  I should really work on those things...  

     "Princess."  She snaps her head up, seeing Shoto tapping on her desk.  "You should probably stop spacing out.  We're going to the gym."  
     "Huh?  Oh, I probably should..."  She chuckles softly as she stands up.  
     "What were you thinking about?  I haven't seen that dance-concentration for a little while."  He states as they begin down the hallway.  The rest of the class was far ahead of them.
     "Dance-concentration...?"  She murmurs with a pout before shrugging.  "I got my timeslot of when I'm going to perform.  I was just thinking over all of that.  If it's a good time, what I need to do before I perform, stuff like that."  She pauses for a moment, only to gasp softly.  "Can I borrow your notes for the past four days?  I'm gonna photocopy them after school for Bakugo-san."  
     "Sure, you can have them.  I'm surprised he's taking the offer."
     "Yeah... he's been a little weird lately... I think.  Honestly, I'm not really sure, the dude confuses me."  

     They split off to go into the locker rooms and change into their gym uniforms.  Again, worries about her seating filled her mind.  She mainly wondered about the emergency exits.  The building was having some remodeling done, so there were places blocked off by construction.  Some areas were already done, and she wondered if they'd changed some pathways rather than just cosmetics.  She made a mental note to ask that the performers (or at least her) tour the exit routes before the show so they could lead attendees should something happen.  

     "Um... are you serious?"  Sero asks.  They stood in a bundle as the blond boy stretched.  Apparently, they were only fighting him and not all three third-years.  
     "Totally serious!"  He answers.  The other boy —with some really nice purple hair might she add— was stood with his forehead against the wall.  He was mumbling something, but she couldn't hear.  She didn't know if everyone was facing him because they could or because they were straining to listen.  
     "What does he mean by 'unable to recover...?'"  Kirishima asks.  
     "Oh, listen!  Did you know?"  The periwinkle-haired girl says.  She was playing with Ashido's horns, which the pinkette didn't really seem comfortable with.  "In the past, there was a student who got so frustrated the student quite being a hero, and that caused all sorts of problems.  Did you know that?"  She pauses with a barely audible giggle.  "It's tough, isn't it, Togata?  If you don't think things through properly, this'll be rough.  Really rough."  
     "There was a handicap in place, but we've fought the pros before,"  Tokoyami tells him.  
     "And we've fought with villains before, too,"  Kirishima adds. 
     (Y/N) thought that was kind of a stupid addition.  When fighting villains, it was a serious life-or-death situation, so they were going to be stronger and smarter than usual.  That was pure survival instinct.  Even the "handicap" was pretty extreme with the pros.  They hadn't been fighting to win, they'd been fighting to not lose, which was a big difference.  
     "Do we look like such weak small fry to you that you need to worry about us?"  Kirishima continues.  
     "Um, yes?"  (Y/N) mutters to herself.  "We totally do."  
     "Right, you can come at me any time, from anywhere."  The boy says.  "Who's first?"  
     "Wait, um, question?"  (Y/N) says, waving her arm by her head.  "Uh, sorry, but... what are we doing exactly?"  She asks quickly.  She didn't really expect them all to go toe-to-toe with this dude at once.  Yeah, he could probably handle it, but now she was confused.  
     "Your class is gonna fight me, all together!"  He announces.
     "Can we use quirks?"
     "Of course!"
     "Can we... cause injury?"  He blinks a few times as some of the class steps out of her way, making a clear path between them.  "Not like broken bones or anything, but like, cuts or a twisted ankle?"  
     "Let's not do anything that would take more than a day to heal,"  Aizawa says.  Shoto stood just beside him with a knowing look.  
     "With or without Recovery Girl?"  She asks.  "Sorry, I'm just clarifying."
     "With."  She nods and smiles to herself.
     "Okay, I'm good.  Thank you."  
     Kirishima was in the middle of saying he'd go first, only to be interrupted by Midoriya.  Aizawa told them to take it as a good learning experience.  
     The class made a decent attack place.  Close hitters surround him while mid- and long-range stay on standby.  
     "Hey, Yaoyorozu-san, can you make me a knife?"  (Y/N) asks whispers to her.  "I don't have my tools."  
     "A-A knife?"  She stammers.
     "Yeah.  Can you make it sharp please?"  The girl looked a bit confused, but she complied.  If (Y/N) had a plan, she would help however she could after all of her emotional support at the hospital.  
     She gracious took it, keeping her eyes on the blond.  As Midoriya jumped at him, his clothes started to fall off... and through him.  Jiro screamed and (Y/N) glanced away with pursed lips.  
     Still, a streaker couldn't be the reason she lost a fight, so she simply made sure she watched his face and not his pants.  As Midoriya sent a kick to his head, it simply passed through.  So he can allow living matter to pass through his body... or maybe his body can pass through living matter.  Does it work with objects as well?  If he can pass through atoms, can he pass through energy or light?  Considering Midoriya's small sparkles didn't seem to do anything, energy must not affect his aggressive state.  
     Stupidly, three of them shot at him at once, creating a smoke cloud.  He easily disappeared from it, though his clothes remained on the floor.  He's probably under the ground right now.  Shit, and you gave him the perfect time to choose his trajectory while we couldn't calculate it. 
     "I'll start with the long-distance fighters!"  He shouts.  (Y/N) had been keeping an eye out, so his appearance wasn't behind her.  Indeed, he morphed up through the floor.  His spot of choice was just behind Jiro, of who he quickly punched in the gut.  
     Somebody shouted about him warping and Kirishima said the quirk was too powerful, but (Y/N) could only cringe at the thought of constantly going nude.  
     She watched him.  It was actually pretty easy to know where he was going to pop up if she watched his angles and kept his time.  He didn't tend to disappear for long, she assumed he couldn't breathe and was going by timers.  He didn't go down for more than a few seconds.  
     She had been standing with the long-range fighters, mainly because half the class still didn't know she even had a quirk and most them didn't know what it was.  She subtly inched her way towards the short-range fighters who were being targetted second.  
     The guy had really good use of his quirk.  However, he wasn't a genius and he wasn't a monster.  He first went for the quirks he could read because he knew what they were.  He didn't know if he could dodge the ones who had yet to attack, which meant he was waiting for them to use it so he could get a guess.  She applauded the strategy; it was the exact one she was currently using.
     She stayed bouncing around his back until she was the only one of three left standing.  She'd made a spectacle of her scared expression.  As he was beginning on the other two who were trying to fend him off, she began a running approach.  He didn't yet know her quirk and he had likely read her fear, so he would believe he had the time to pay less attention to her.  
     She jumps at him, holding the knife behind her back.  She flew through him exactly as she expected.  He went to smirk, but... couldn't.  Confusion struck his eyes.  
     He fell through the floor again and she bounced slightly right.  As she predicted, she couldn't hold him while he used his quirk, so energy passed him as well.  That meant that he couldn't breathe when underground, but more importantly, he couldn't see.  Actually, he couldn't sense anything, nor could he think.  He had to do all of his calculations before he went down and go purely by instinct once under.  
     As soon as he sprung up, she copied him and then paired with him.  Her chant filled the air as she reached down and slammed the knife through her Achille's tendon.  
     He gasped, too in shock to even scream as he clattered down.  She yanked the knife out.  The wound bled enough that she felt it trickling to the floor, but since it wasn't too major of an injury at all, it healed over quickly.  
     "I'm sorry."  She says.  She moves over and helps him up.  "I didn't want to do something too extreme."  He leans on her small frame, keeping off of his ankle.  
     "Ouch."  He breathes with a small, forced laugh.  

     He shakily dressed and Recovery Girl came flying over to heal his tendon.  She gave a pointed glare at (Y/N), still holding a bloody knife.  
     "I tried to make it so you wouldn't be able to see my willy, but I'm sorry about that, girls."  He says.  He stood alongside the other two third-years.  "But anyway, you kind of get it now, right?"  
     "We all just got punched in the stomach without ever really figuring out what was going on..."  Midoriya grumbles.  (Y/N), the notable exception, gave him a confused glance.  It wasn't that hard to conclude, and Midoriya was supposed to be the one who was good at this stuff.  She didn't even study quirks, so she should be the most behind on this kind of thing.  
     "Did you think my quirk was strong?"  He asks.  
     "It was too strong!"  Sero shouts immediately.  
     "That's not fair!  Think about me, too!"  Hagakure whines.  
     "You could slip through things and warp!  Are you a hybrid like Todoroki?"  (Y/N) shakes her head to herself.  First off, Shoto himself wasn't really a "hybrid," and even if he was, it sounded a bit rude.  His quirk mixed elements across his body, it wasn't like he switched between two quirks.
     "Nope, I've only got one."  He states.  Midoriya murmurs with surprise.  
     "I know!  I know what his quirk is!"  The girl shouts as she bounces into view.  "Hey, hey, can I say it?  Can I?"  She asks, but immediately turns forward to begin.  "It-"
     "Wait, Hado."  He interrupts.  "What about you, Last-standing?"  He asks her.  (Y/N) looks up and he was staring directly at her.
     "M-Me?"  She clarifies.  
     "Yeah!  What did you think of my quirk?"  
     "Well, the way you use it is impressive, and I don't want to sound rude, but I would never want it."  She expresses.  "I'd fall through the floor and suffocate."  He cocks an eyebrow for a moment before smirking.  
     "How'd you know I can't breathe?"  
     "I felt it when you went under.  I lost your connection, which means your brain isn't sending signals to your body.  Every organ except for your heart will immediately stop functioning, including your lungs, and you probably pass through all air anyway.  You can't think while down there either, can you?  You only went down long enough for your body to operate by instinctual release, I imagine you weren't counting.  Since your brain can't process information, you have no senses."  
     "Oh?"  The girl breathes.  She looks over at the blond (Togata?) with a bewildered expression.  "Did you tell her?"  She asks, only to notice the pleasantly-surprised look he also wore.  
     "Nope!  You read quirks really well, Last-standing!"  He says excitedly.  
     "I do?  Um, thanks."  
     "That was really accurate!  Actually, I think she hit the T.  Are you sure you didn't tell her?"  Periwinkle says.  She then turns and clasps her hands together with a grin.  "Your attack plan was great!  I don't really know what you did... but it worked!"  

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

58.9K 438 11
stop requesting. i will block you. most of these are sad or have serious themes because I like reading and writing angst. - I do not own BNHA or any...
2.8M 99.5K 161
"...You can't go through life on your own, just like a hero can't always save the day on their own. Sometimes, they need a bit of help from their fri...
747K 22.1K 28
"Its just..." her eyes were brimming with tears. 'No please dont cry,' I silently begged, 'I can't stand to see you hurt.' "...I-I dont want to see a...
794 13 9
In a society with 80% of people possess a superhuman ability called a quirk. However, there are the 20% who don't possess a superhuman ability. To th...