Caleb

Від MelyssaWhyte

Caleb Tanner is a unique combination of both killer and savior all wrapped into one. As a former Navy Seal an... Більше

Before You Read
Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Seven
Chapter Forty Eight
Chapter Forty Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty One
Chapter Fifty Two
Chapter Fifty Three
Chapter Fifty Four
Chapter Fifty Five
Chapter Fifty Six
Epilogue

Chapter Thirty Three

54.1K 1.7K 449
Від MelyssaWhyte

Caleb ~

Caleb pulled Lainey's meter from his pocket once he had her settled in his lap in the car and pricked her finger. He cursed under his breath before taking another reading just to be sure his eyes weren't playing tricks on him.

"Fucking shit." Caleb muttered under his breath as he read the second reading that confirmed Lainey's dangerously low levels

"How low?" James asked.

Caleb didn't respond, he simply turned the face of the meter toward James who lost all the color in his face at the sight.

"Oh my God," James whispered to himself.

James and Caleb both knew that with potassium numbers that low, Lainey was at risk for life threatening heart arrhythmias. She needed and IV and she needed an IV as fast as possible.

Caleb toyed with the idea of giving her the meds that were in his pocket, or the ones he had given Pierce to hold for emergencies, but he was worried they had been tampered with as well. He had no clue when or where the medication had been swapped and was terrified of the possibility that all of Lainey's meds had been altered.  Even if they had identifiers on the side, pills could easily be coated or injected with harmful substances and he didn't know for sure which medication bottles had been tampered with and which ones hadn't.

If I can just get Lainey an IV. That's what she needs.

Having to decide between the house and the hospital in a split second, Caleb chose the house because they could get there thirty minutes faster than the nearest hospital and Lainey didn't have an extra thirty minutes.

As soon as the car came to a stop in front of the house, James flew out of the car and started running to get Lainey's medical supplies. Pierce was the next to get out of the car, motioning with his hands for Caleb to hand Lainey over to him.

"Give her to me." Pierce instructed, holding his arms out for Lainey.

Lifting her up out of his lap, Caleb passed a nearly unconscious Lainey over to Pierce who took off for the house with her cradled in his arms.

Caleb's mind was racing, trying to figure out exactly how Lainey's medication had been swapped and what on earth she had taken in its place.  He was furious, scared and confused as he sprinted up the steps, trying to get a hold of himself before he had to start working on Lainey.

Lock your shit down Caleb. She doesn't need you to be a panicked mess. She needs you to do your job and fix her. Calm your ass down and fix her.

Taking in a deep breath, Caleb held it there in his chest for a few seconds before blowing it out slowly as he and James got Lainey's IVs set up. He battle breathed his way to calmness, taking his adrenaline rush and using it as fuel instead of panic as his hands worked furiously to ready the fluids that Lainey's body so desperately needed.

Lainey groaned and reached for her legs and feet that were fully cramped and contorted into hard knots which had to be excruciating.

I hate that you're feeling pain Lainey girl, but I love that you're responding to it.

Her body hadn't shut down yet and response to pain signals was a good thing despite being unbearable for Caleb to watch.

"I'm gonna take care of that for you Darlin', just give me a minute and I'm gonna get you all fixed up." Caleb soothed once he and James had everything in place.

"Small stick Lainey girl." Caleb said as he inserted the IV, sending up a silent prayer that he wasn't too late.

"Hollywood I need you to get that small portable EKG out of my med bag." Caleb said over his shoulder, prompting Pierce to start rummaging through the bag.

"Got it."

"How many leads are there in the bag?" Caleb asked.

Pierce looked at him in confusion, unsure what to look for.

"The cords, Hollywood. How many cords are there?"

"Right...uh four or five."

I would have preferred twelve, but five will have to do.

"Bring those over and help me get this dress off." Caleb ordered, lifting Lainey forward so Pierce or James could unzip the back of her dress.

"I gotta take this off okay, baby? You don't even have to move, we'll do all the work." Caleb hummed into Lainey's ear as he sat her up against his chest, giving Pierce access to the zipper of her dress.

He slowly slid Lainey's dress down enough to gain access to her chest. She had on a lace strapless bra that looked like it might get in the way of the electrodes he was trying to place on her skin for the heart monitor.

"I'm gonna try my best to work around this bra, but if I can't it might have to go." Caleb said, warning Lainey and looking directly at James, hoping James understood that Caleb wasn't trying to take advantage of or expose his sister, but that he needed to get those leads placed so he could monitor Lainey's heart to see how bad it was.

"Do what you gotta do man." James said giving Caleb an approving nod.

Caleb carefully placed the electrode dots on Lainey's chest, having to lift up her bra in certain places to get them to stick where he needed them, but ultimately getting them secured in place.

Holding the monitor in his lap, Caleb watched the screen for what felt like an eternity. He slid his finger along the screen as he reviewed the reading, sliding the chart back and forth as he analyzed it and counted in his head.

To his surprise, Lainey clung to consciousness, opening her eyes occasionally, trying hard to focus on Caleb, but she was completely and utterly terrified. She knew just as well as they did how dangerously low her levels were and what that could mean, and she was panicked.

"I need you to slow your breathing down Lainey girl." Caleb said, running one hand down her cheek.

His calming words and soft touches didn't make a difference. She was too amped up and scared to hear him and she was hyperventilating, which wasn't helping her heart rate in the least. In fact it was making it worse.

Caleb set the monitor on the bed and turned his full attention to Lainey, because she needed him. She needed him to make her world quiet and calm and he was going to do everything in his power to make that happen. Having to take control of his own panic and worry, Caleb coached himself, giving himself reminders of what she needed from him. 

Her world is too loud, painful and scary. Slow things down for her, Caleb. Take the scary away so she can relax.

"Lainey, Lainey, Easy baby...easy...look at me." he said in a hushed voice as he stroked her hair.

Her panicked eyes welled with tears as they locked onto his.

"I know you're scared, but I need you to slow your breathing down." he repeated, but her breaths remained heavy and erratic.

"Am I going to die?" She rasped, with a tear rolling down her cheek.

"What? No...You think I'd let you go anywhere without me? I go where you go, remember?" Caleb said, giving her a reassuring smile.

She tried to smile with all of her might, but she couldn't. Her fear was too strong and it was overwhelming her, making it nearly impossible for her to calm down on her own.

"I'm not gonna let anything happen to you Lainey, and I know this is scary." he said, trying to affirm her feelings of fear.

She nodded, confirming his words with tears trailing down her face as her chest pumped wildly for air.

"So focus on me...you said it yourself, I'm not scary at all." he chuckled, trying to pull her focus toward him.

He positioned himself so that he was hovering over her slightly, leaving only inches between their faces as he used one hand to tilt her head toward him and rubbed his thumb back and forth across her cheek.

"Keep your eyes on me...It's just you and me Lainey girl.... I'm gonna fix you, but I need your help...slow your breathing down for me baby." he spoke the words slowly and calmly, soothing her with his voice and healing her with his touch.

He took her small hand in his and pressed it against his chest, holding it there as he took big overexaggerated breaths.

"Breathe with me sweetheart." he said puffing out his chest as far as it would go before blowing out his breath and letting his chest cave.

Slowly but surely Lainey started to mimic Caleb's breathing pattern, slowing her breaths and calming herself which was starting to lower her heart rate.

"Good," he praised her. "That's my girl."

Once Lainey was calm and the IV bag had emptied, Caleb replaced it, letting Lainey's veins drink up a second bag. Her heart rate and potassium levels started to stabilize and Caleb knew that the worst was over. He wanted her to sleep, but her tiny body refused to let her rest, forcing her eyes open each time the slowly blinked closed and jolting herself awake every time her body fully relaxed. She was so scared to die, so scared that if she closed her eyes and gave in that she'd never open them again, but she needed to know that the fight was over. She'd won, but she hadn't realized it yet.

"You did so good Darlin'...now rest. It's okay for you to rest now. I've got you." Caleb whispered in her ear.

As if she had been waiting for his permission, Lainey's eyes blinked closed one last time before her chin sunk down and relaxed against her shoulder. She was asleep in a matter of seconds and Caleb was grateful that her body was finally able to relax and rest.

James was in the bathroom when Lainey finally drifted off and Caleb took the opportunity to discuss a theory with Pierce.

"What's James' relationship with Camila?" Caleb said quickly before James reentered the room.

It took Pierce a second or two to register Caleb's question, but he answered immediately once he understood what Caleb was asking.

"Shitty. James hates Camila and the feeling is mutual. James' mom doesn't come from money. She's a nurse that works her ass off, but Camila sees that as low class and views James as someone who is beneath her and less than." Pierce said, giving Caleb all the information he needed.

"Why? What's up?" Pierce asked, arching a brow at Caleb.

"Just trying to piece everything together." Caleb said as he ran a hand through his hair in frustration.

"She finally sleeping?" James asked as he came out of the bathroom and reclaimed his seat with his eyes on Lainey.

"Yeah, she's out." Caleb said, looking over his shoulder at his sleeping Lainey.

"What the fuck happened tonight?" James asked, rubbing the back of his neck.

"I got a theory." Caleb said with a hardened expression.

"The only time Lainey's purse was out of her possession was at the dinner last night. As we were leaving Camila brought Lainey her purse and said she had forgotten it on the table."

The room was silent for a second or two as the three men thought about what Caleb had just implied.

"That fucking bitch," James snarled.

"What's her play though? Why try to kill Lainey?" Pierce asked.

The word kill hit Caleb's ears, like nails on a chalkboard, causing him to grit his teeth and ball his fists as he cracked his neck to release some anger.

"Didn't you know? If anything happens to my dad Lainey gets it all...all the businesses. Sure Camila and I will get some financial payout, but dad's empire - everything he's built...it all goes to Lainey."

"Holy shit." Pierce muttered under his breath.

The sound of the front door opening pulled their attention, causing all heads to swivel in that direction.

"Listen, we can't let on that we know about Lainey's meds being tampered with. If Camila is behind this we need to keep her in the dark until we know more." Caleb said quickly.

"Copy that." Pierce confirmed with James nodding in agreement as well.

Ricardo burst through the door a few seconds later with Camila following right behind him. James immediately stood and blocked their pathway to Lainey, putting his finger to his mouth as he signaled them to be quiet.

"What happened?" Ricardo asked frantically in a hushed voice.

"Lainey had an attack. Her levels dropped faster than her meds could keep up so Caleb rushed her out and got her an IV." James said to Ricardo.

Ricardo sighed and sunk his body down into a chair as he dropped his head into his hands.

"I've been working her too hard. I practically abandoned my new initiative at the bank and dropped it in her lap, expecting her to pick up all of my slack...How bad was the attack?" Ricardo asked in a shaky voice.

"It was pretty bad, Sir." Caleb answered honestly. "But she's stable now."

"How lucky we are to have Caleb here," Camila said, running her hands up and down Ricardo's arms. Her gesture was endearing and her body language was relaxed, but her eyes darted toward the medicine bottles by the side of Lainey's bed.

Ricardo was unmoved for a few seconds, resting his head in his hands and staring at the floor briefly before he regained his composure.

"Please let me know if her condition changes throughout the night." Ricardo said as he stood and approached Caleb.

"Thank you Caleb." Ricardo said, pulling Caleb in for a one armed hug.

"Honored Sir, Lainey's an incredible woman." Caleb said, using the most professional voice he could muster.

"She seems to think very highly of you as well." Ricardo said with a slight smile as he turned to leave.

Does he know? And if he does ...he's okay with it?

Ricardo led Camila out of the room as she gave each man a warm smile before shooting her gaze back to the pill bottles quickly.

I fucking see you.

Declan and Marcus entered the room as Ricardo and Camila exited, shutting the door behind them.

"What the fuck happened?" Declan huffed as he dropped his large frame into a chair.

Caleb, Pierce, and James exchanged glances before Caleb finally spoke up and explained.

"Someone tampered with Lainey's medication." Caleb said, watching Marcus slowly turn and fume with anger.

"Tell me you're fucking joking." Marcus growled.

"Afraid not. She'd been taking the altered pills all day...nearly killed her." James said flatly.

Marcus was up and moving at James' words, making his way over to the bed where Lainey was sleeping. His eyes swept over tiny body and he wrapped his massive hand around hers, feeling for her pulse for his own peace of mind. Caleb knew that Marcus was looking down at Lainey, but could only see his Red.

"Wait a minute, how was someone able to tamper with Lainey's meds?" Declan asked.

"Lainey left her purse on the table, and we haven't confirmed it, but Camila has motive and had access to the medication in Lainey's purse. She's the one who brought Lainey her purse at the end of the night last night." Caleb said.

Marcus shook his head at Caleb's accusation.

"I would have seen it if she was fucking with Lainey's purse or especially if she was swapping out pills or pill bottles. Last night I watched her grab the purse from the table. She didn't have time to fuck with it." Marcus countered.

Declan pulled his phone from his pocket and dialed a number, putting it on speaker as he rested the phone on his knee. Without having to look Caleb knew exactly who Declan was calling.

"What up Boss?" Nate's voice echoed from the speaker.

"We need a favor, brother."

"Name it."

"We need you to see if there are any eyes on the inside of the ballroom of a hotel we went to last night. A client's purse was tampered with and we need to see everyone who came in contact with it."

"Lainey or Camila?' Nate asked.

Why am I not surprised that Nate already knows everything about the job we're working?

"Lainey." Declan said with a smile.

"I'm on it Boss, I'll call you when I've got something you can use." Nate said, before the line went dead.

The men sat in Lainey's room, discussing the possibilities of a breach in security, running through every possible scenario and suspects when Declan's phone buzzed.

"Got you on speaker with the team, Nate." Declan said, setting his phone on his knee again.

"What's up gentlemen? I've got a little somethin that I think you'd all like to see." Nate started.

"Just sent a video to Dec's phone of a dude picking up Lainey's purse and returning it three minutes later. He walks outside briefly before returning the purse back to the table. Plenty of time to mess with the contents or plant a device." Nate said.

The entire team crowded around Declan's phone as he zoomed in on a man with a ponytail who clearly took Lainey's purse from the table.

"Anybody recognize this douche bag?" Declan growled in disgust.

"James you know this guy?" Caleb asked, tilting the phone toward him.

"Oh shit." James said as his eyes settled on the screen and focused on the man who was clutching Lainey's purse.

"That's Juan. He's been heading the big online banking initiative that my dad, Lainey, and Manny have been going on and on about. He's basically Manny's right hand man." James confirmed.

The entire team contemplated James' words in silence for a minute or two, trying to fill in the gaps and figure out what motive he had to hurt Lainey. Caleb's head was spinning as he considered every possibility.

Did Manny give the order? Is Juan disgruntled and trying to hurt Manny and Ricardo? Is he just a lunatic out for blood? Who is this guy and why did he try to harm Lainey?

"Let's keep and eye on this guy, what's his last name James?" Declan asked.

"Quintana" James answered casually.

Caleb's ears perked and he watched all of his teammates shift slightly as the mood in the room changed.

"This joker have a middle name, Nate?" Declan said in a low voice.

"Gimme a sec. Searching employee database under Manny...David. Juan's middle name is David." Nate confirmed.

Holy fucking shit...JD Quintana... Alpha teams terrorist tie not only works for Ricardo's bank, but he just tried to kill Lainey.

Продовжити читання

Вам також сподобається

882K 25.5K 45
Liam Knight, a 28-year-old assigned as a personal bodyguard for his boss's sister. Phoebe Black, a 27-year-old who's only ever known how to be indep...
13.5K 974 20
Tanner (Babe) is ex-military and now works as a freelance security guard and he's been hired by his old superior officer at KJ Security to fill in wh...
1M 5.2K 7
THIS IS ONLY A SAMPLE OF THE FIRST 5 CHAPTERS. THE BOOK IS PUBLISHED AS EBOOK AND PAPERBACK ON AMAZON AND AVAILABLE ON KINDLE UNLIMITED https://www...
Pierce Від Melissa White

Романтика

2.9M 94.5K 51
Pierce Lockland's reputation as a playboy and all around ladies man is hard earned. With a massive muscular build and a panty-dropping smile, Pierce...