Walk With Me

由 Olivezpicklez

(DISCONTINUED) I walked all the way to the park. I waited every day for at least thirty minutes. I walked ba... 更多

1
2
3
4
5
7
8
9
10
S o r r y !

6

8 2 0
由 Olivezpicklez

"You liar!" I screamed, shaking my head vigorously. "I hate you! I hate you!" I felt my hair slap against the side of my face. It felt like her hand. I started to scream, not knowing what else to do that could allow me to let out my anger. My hands swiped at the things on my desk, causing them to fall onto the floor. I threw everything close to me against the wall, whether it was hairpins, a small vase, books. I didn't care.

I began to kick everything in my path that was laying on the floor, and continued to throw things and scream until my rage disappeared. Once that had happened, I looked around at the mess I had created. There was broken glass under and beside my bed, half my curtain was ripped off, and many clothes were on the ground, along with a few broken hangers. Pens, ripped books, and other pieces of clutter littered the floor. I bent down to pick up a particular art piece, one that I was especially fond of. It was ripped down the middle, and water from a cup sitting on my dresser had spilled all over it. It was nothing now. Nothing but trash.

And yet it still held it's value. I hugged it to my chest and started to cry. God, I hated myself.

A knock sounded and I looked up. Not bothering to wipe my eyes, I walked over to the door, and in the process dropped my painting in the garbage. I opened the door a crack, and slid out into the hall, closing it behind me. Ollie stood by the cabinets and stared up at me with wide eyes. "L-Levi," he stuttered. "At the front door..."

I sighed. "Thanks."

He nodded quickly before scurrying into his own room. I heard his door slam shut, and didn't bother to turn around as I walked down the steps. Before I did anything, I made sure that my eyes weren't red or watering. When I was sure of it, I opened the front door, and was met with the familiarity of a grinning Levi.

"Hey," I mumbled, stepping outside.

"You weren't at the park," he said, tilting his head slightly and examining me. "So I came here. I also brought a friend, if you don't mind."

A girl walked up to the door, her eyes scanning me. Her eyebrows rose as she met my own. She had a glare that I knew wasn't intentional, and dark brown, straight hair that went a little past her shoulders. Her eyes were a rather frightening pale blue, as they narrowed at me. She also stood about an inch above me, and I couldn't help but match her frown. She gave a look of distaste. "Is this her? She looks a bit boring."

"You're one to talk," Levi hissed. The girl rolled her eyes, and then held out her hand for me to shake as if it wasn't the twenty first century. "I'm Calla."

My frown deepened. "Cool. I don't care." I turned to Levi, "why is she here?"

"I thought it'd be more fun with her," he said, refusing to take that stupid grin off his face.

"She hardly looks like fun," I scoffed. "You have bad taste in friends."

"You realize you just insulted yourself, right?"

"I'm fully aware of that, yes."

Calla smiled. "Never mind. I like her."

"I still don't like you."

She didn't say anything, just skipped ahead. "It's rather obvious you don't have friends."

"You say that like you do."

"I actually do have friends," she retorted, gesturing towards Levi. But regardless of her tone, her expression remained emotionless.

She was scary.

I couldn't stop the grin that spread across my face. "I like you," I said.

"Awe, that's nice. I don't like you." She pat my head.

Levi stared at us in puzzlement. "What?"

"We're friends now," I said.

"Excuse me? You literally just traded insults."

"She's much less annoying than you," I remarked. Calla nodded in agreement. "You talk way too much, and you're incredibly childish."

"I feel a sudden need to apologize."

"I'm waiting," Calla and I said in a disgustful unison that I actually wasn't all that bothered by.

"Sorry?"

"For being annoying," I said.

"Sorry for being annoying?"

Calla and I smiled. "Your apology is accepted."

"This was a bad idea," he mumbled.

"What was?" I asked.

"Bringing Calla."

"No, in my opinion, it was a pretty smart move."

"Was it, though?"

"Yep. Now I won't lose as many brain cells when talking to you, because she'll just make me regain them."

"What?"

"She said that being with you is especially a nuisance and me being here is stopping her from losing her mind," Calla said, arms crossed. Levi glared at her, making me raise my eyebrows in surprise.

"Did he just glare at you?" I asked.

Calla blinked. "Yeah. He does it all the time."

I turned to him. "Excuse me?"

"Forgive him for not being as rude to you," Calla said, a smirk on her face. "He enjoys giving you special treatment."

Levi's glare deepened.

"Are you from around here?" I asked, ignoring both her and my flaming cheeks.

"Duh. The city is huge, of course I am. I live by Faustina's."

"So you know your way around here?"

"Yep. I bike at least twice a week. I know almost everybody here, but I don't know my way around this particular area," she paused before adding, "once we make it to the park, I can lead you to Maxi's."

"Woah," I said. "We've got a human google maps."

"I'm leaving if that's what you're going to call me. We're by the park now so I know my way back," she threatened.

"No!" I cried. "Please don't leave me with the demon."

She stared behind me at Levi, who was occupied with following a squirrel. She then shrugged. "Alright."

Soon enough we did make it to Maxi's, and I was genuinely surprised, because I didn't even know there was a Maxi's near my house. The girl at the counter looked up and stared at us with bored eyes. "Welcome to Maxi's Fare, what can I get you?"

"I brought twenty bucks so we can each get a drink," Calla said. "I'll have a pink lemonade with a marshmallow stick."

"Um, a muffin?" I stuttered. I wasn't used to going to restaurants or cafe's without my mom there to order for me.

"I said drink." Calla reminded me, handing the girl seven dollars for her lemonade. It costed way too much, in my opinion, considering the other options of food and drinks.

"Aren't muffins like, six bucks?" I asked. "That still leaves about seven dollars for Levi to buy something."

"Okay fine," she mumbled. "I wanted to save up some money but sure, let's just use all my allowance."

"Allowance?" I asked. "I don't get allowance. That so unfair."

"Strawberry smoothie," he said, swiping the money from Calla's hand. She stared at him, gaping. "What the heck?"

"Swiper, no swiping," I snickered.

He placed the money on the counter, and in return, Calla got a single dollar. She mumbled something under her breath, crossing her arms. About a minute later our orders were handed to us, and we went to sit down and enjoy. Calla has sat down in the corner, Levi right next to her, watching as she scrolled through her phone.

"Hey, go back up," he said. She swatted him away. "No."

"Just do it," he grumbled. "Look-"

"I said no."

"You're just saying no to irritate me," he scoffed.

"Maybe. If I am then it's working."

"Just scroll up, Calla!" He cried in evident vexation. He shoved her aside and swiped down, squinting at what it said. Calla rolled her eyes, and took back her phone after about fifteen seconds. "I wasn't done reading!" Levi protested.

"You had long enough," Calla said, unbothered. "It's not my fault you're a slow reader."

"It was a long tweet!"

"I saw it, Levi, and it was barely three sentences."

"Three long sentences."

At that moment, I dropped the rest of my muffin, and an unsuspecting passer by stepped on it's remains. The boy lifted his foot, shaking it, a scowl present on his face. The girl he was with glanced up and narrowed her eyes at me.

"I didn't mean to do it," I said.

"I know. Eat over the table," she hissed, grabbing the boy's arm and dragging him out the restaurant. The boy stumbled, making the light blue camera around his neck hit his jaw. He groaned and allowed the girl to lead him away. I almost laughed. "Whoops."

"What a waste of money," Calla said, making me look up. "You'll have to pay me back, whatever your name is."

"It's Harlow," Levi chimed in.

"That's a weird name," the demonized girl said with a sneer. "Harlow."

"It was literally only a quarter of the muffin that fell on the ground. I ate most of it."

"So? I want my twenty five cents."

I moved my gaze over to Levi as if asking, 'is she crazy?'

He just shrugged and continued to sip his smoothie.

"I'll be back tomorrow," said Calla. "I'm expecting it by then."

"Let's play who's most likely," I said, ignoring her and remembering back when Leila, Raina, Claire and I were all friends and would play it to pass the time. "Who's most likely to be arrested?"

Levi pointed to Calla, and I did the same. She shook her head. "Who's most likely to go to jail?"

We pointed at her again.

"I think Harlow," Calla remarked. "She seems like the type to commit a murder."

"You and me are one in the same," I rejoindered. "You'd probably commit manslaughter if not kill someone in cold blood."

"Ditto."

"Who's most likely to be successful?" Levi asked. Calla snorted. "Not you, that's for sure."

"How rude." Stephanie Tanner, I tell you.

"Calla," I said. "Probably her. I don't do well in school and Levi's an idiot, so Calla would probably be rich by twenty one."

"Who's most likely to be an alcoholic?" Calla asked.

"Not me," Levi said. "I hate beer. And alcohol. And wine."

Calla's eyes narrowed. "Have you even tried it? You don't know that."

"I haven't tried it," he replied. "I'm not planning to either. Do you know how many people it kills?"

"If you use it responsibly that shouldn't be a problem."

"Even if I do, someone else will be out there doing the exact opposite, and I'll end up getting killed."

"If you mean by a drunk driver," said Calla, "it's not common. You probably won't die."

"Your reasoning doesn't make any sense, Levi," I said.

"No- that's-" he paused, ostensibly thinking of the right words, "I- I don't want to be anything like them. I don't want anything that has to do with them."

"Still makes no sense," Calla mumbled.

"Anyway, answering the question," I said, "I think Calla would be."

"Me?" She asked, flabbergasted. "What do you mean me? What about you?"

"I could be one," I said. "But I feel like I'd be more drawn to drugs. They don't taste bad."

Calla rolled her eyes. "Next. Who's most likely to have a ton of pets?"

"Levi," I said, whilst he pointed to himself.

"Well my family owns a farm," she told us. "So I think me."

"Sure," I muttered. "Who's most likely to win a beauty pageant?"

Levi pointed to me. "Compared to Calla, you're less scary."

She shoved him. "Shut up."

"Calla," I said. They both turned to me with surprise on their faces. I shrugged. "Honestly, she's prettier than me, so she'd probably win."

Calla's eyes narrowed and she seemed as if she was going to protest, but instead said, "okay, well, who's most like to die over something stupid?"

"Levi," I said.

"Levi," Calla said.

"Me," Levi said, evidently pleased.

"Who's most likely to-" Calla's phone rang. "Oh one second." She picked it up, say 'sure' and 'okay', and then stood. "I gotta go. I'll lead you guys back to the park first, though."

And she did just that. We waved goodbye, and we all went our separate ways. It was odd not having Levi follow me everywhere, and I was...a little..just a little...tiny bit disappointed.

                                                                                      .-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

"You're home," I said, gazing at my mother and doing my best not to glare.

"I'm always home around this time."

I was silent, waiting for her to say what I wanted. But I knew she wouldn't apologize. She never did. And that was something we had in common, no matter what, we would never admit we were wrong. She looked up and smiled. Here she goes.

"Anyways, welcome home, love. Did you have fun?"

I frowned. "Why should I tell you? It's not like you actually care."

"I do," she said, walking towards me. I froze and felt my legs stiffen. She placed a hand on my head. "You know I love you, right? I love your so much."

It was almost scary how fake that sounded to me

"You literally just hit me and blackmailed me after I said I was going to call child services," I told her.

"You weren't going to call them anyway. You know they'd take you away right? And leave you in foster care." She gestured to the phone. "Go ahead. Call them. Go call them, Harlow. See what happens."

Of course I wasn't going to call them. It was just an empty threat. But I wasn't going to say that. I smiled.I could use this as an opportunity to mess with her. I walked over to the phone laying on the counter, and turned back to see her reaction. She seemed unfazed. I started dialing a number, and put the phone up to my ear.

"Hey, Harlow." Levi said, his voice as cheerful as always. "What's up?"

"I'm being abused," I said. "I'm being abused."

"Excuse me?"

"She's right here and I'm hiding." I began to whisper, and Mom raised an eyebrow.

"What?"

"Yes," I said.

Mom stepped forward.

"Harlow Sofía Swan," I said.

"Is this a joke?"

"Yes," I said.

"Oh, good."

"Yes," I said again.

"Are you- are you serious?"

"My address is-" but I couldn't finish, as Mom lunged toward me, almost snatching the phone from my hands. It fell to the ground, ending the call, and I put my foot on it to stop her from taking it. I tilted my head. "What's wrong? You said I could call them."

She slapped me lightly. "You little- you know they'll take you forever, right?"

"I'm very aware of that, yes."

Her chest was heaving with furious breaths, and her face was red with rage. "Go to your room!" She screamed. "Go right now!"

I just stared at her.

"Harlow, go to your room!"

"Why do I feel like you're talking to me as if I were a dog?" I asked. "You really are a crap parent. She grabbed my wrist, making me flinch. "Don't make me hurt you," she hissed. "Talk to me like that again and I swear I will beat your ass."

I stared at her with wide eyes, knowing she was serious. I ripped my arm away from her, and ran up the steps and into my bedroom, slamming the door behind me.

"Slam it again, Harlow! I'll take that door off it's hinges!"

I glared at the ground before turning off the lights. I didn't bother changing and just tucked myself into bed. I was so tired.

"Harlow?"

I jolted upright, and stared at my phone which was still in my hand. "Levi-"

"You okay?"

"Don't ever ask that again."

"Okay."

Silence. I put the phone to my ear. "Do you think I'm okay?"

"Not really. I was just confirming it."

"I'm tired."

"Then sleep."

"Don't want to anymore." I sighed, ignoring the tears that streamed down my face. I didn't even notice them either, as I wasn't experiencing many symptoms of crying. They sort of came out of nowhere.

"Take a nap."

"Don't want to," I mumbled.

"What's your favorite color."

I blinked. "What?"

"I know you heard me. Why do people always say 'what' when they know exactly what the other person said?"

"Purple," I said, taking no notice of his question. "You?"

"....pink."

"Seriously?"

"What do you mean 'seriously'?"

"I thought it'd be like, red, or something."

"Well it's not," he told me. A young girl's voice came through, "who's that?"

"Harley," Levi said, making my heart flutter. Why, though? Everybody calls me that. And yet for some reason I felt especially excited when he did.

"That was Martina," he stated. "What's your favorite food?"

"Anything sweet."

"I like spaghetti."

"What's your favorite pizza topping?" I asked.

"Pineapple."

"I'm glad someone else likes it too," I said, smiling. "Usually nobody likes pineapple on pizza."

"It's underrated."

"Tell me about it." I heard a faint voice in the background, and after a few moments, Levi said, "I have to go. I hope you feel better."

My smile widened. "Thanks."

"Sure." Then the familiar music of an ended call sounded.

I rolled over and closed my eyes. Despite all that I had said, I decided that a nap didn't sound so bad after all.

繼續閱讀

You'll Also Like

461 72 21
I didn't know a meeting could change all my perspective of life. It's like I'm stuck in a romance kind of movie. Everything is PERFECT. But I'm afrai...
123 0 26
TRIGGER WARNING STRONG CORSE LANGUAGE I am just a shell of what used to be, nothing but an empty discarded soul searching for hope in this decrepit w...
43 1 17
This is not a happy, feel-good story. This is a story of heartbreak, of a person being utterly destroyed. However, it is also a story of true frien...
1K 11 28
"Why is it so hard to be yourself?" "Well, sometimes people choose to be what's easily accepted. Hiding is the easiest thing to do than coming to ter...