Only Hope | Anthony Bridgeton

By Kaseyo11

After the passing of Abigail Bentley's mother, she is now the only one responsible for her family's well-bein... More

Pressure
Intrigue
Flustered
Crush
Powerless
Striking
Tension
Ambushed
Scheme
Victorious
Suspicion
Confirm
Interrupted
Questioned
Propose
Delay
Derailed
Bravado
Threat
Complicated
Confrontation
Wrenched
Doubtless
Clash
Letters
Dismay
Mend
Heartbreak
Concern
Assist
Betrothal
Advise
Return
Rescue
Finale
Epilogue

Percieve

30.6K 805 5
By Kaseyo11

I have always thought that an appreciation of the arts is what lifts us beyond mere animals. It stirs the passions and moves the spirit, and, this author hopes, inspires more newsworthy pursuits. A new wing at Somerset House is to be opened today, where several attractions will be on display... like the lovely Miss Marina Thompson, newly recovered from her mysterious illness and expected to finally rejoin the season.

Whenever the whole Bridgerton family is leaving for an event, it is bound to be chaotic, and this occasion was no exception. As Gregory and Hyacinth bounded through the downstairs foyer, nannies in toe, the rest of the ladies were attempting to make their way downstairs with maids fussing about either their hair or their belongings. The Bridgerton boys, however, were already in the foyer, ready to go. Anthony and Benedict stood on opposite sides of the room, using much effort not to make eye contact. Colin paced back and forth excitedly, holding his top hat in one hand and Whistledown in the other.

"Here we all are." Violet anounced as they finally descended the steps. "Gregory! Hyacinth! Let us go now!" They all began to make their way to the door.

"Mother? Is Abigail not coming today?" Anthony questioned, noticing she did not descend the steps with them.

"Of course she is dear, she is meeting us there. Why?" Violet turned around just before exiting through the doors.

"I just- She just usually arrives with us for these things that is all." Anthony said, rather flustered.

Daphne snorted as she passed him and he elbowed her on the way out.

"Don't." He whispered as he led her to the carriage.

"I said nothing." She whispered back, then took his hand to stabilize herself upon entering the carriage.

Of course, there is today's royal attraction as well, Prince Friedrich of Prussia. His Highness has come to our shores in want of a fine Fräulein. Could this be the reason a certain language tutor has been seen visiting Cowper House all week?

The ride was not long and soon enough they had all arrived at Somerset House. The youngest Bridgertons bounded out of their carriages and had to be called back in by their mother. Anthony offered his arm to her and they began to walk behind the rest of the family, partly to keep an eye on the two in front.

As they walked into the grand home, Anthony's eyes scanned the group of young ladies that surrounded the Prince, hoping to spot Abigail. He did not quite realize he was doing it until he concluded she wasn't there, then felt a sense of disappointment. It had seemed they had arrived before her. 

Walking into the grand room of paintings was certainly a sight, indeed. However, Anthony didn't get to enjoy it long before his mothers voice interrupted his thoughts. 

"Miss Anna Vaughn. Speaks several languages, I hear." She commented, pointing out the lady in question. "Miss Mary Egglesfield. She's meant to be quite the reader." 

"Were I looking for a list of debutantes and their dubious accomplishments, I could have stayed home and read Lady Whistledown." He cut her off before walking away from her, swiftly. There was only one debutante that occupied his mind, and she had yet to arrive. 

Although, without his knowledge, she had arrived. She slipped in, so no one would notice her lack of escort, and quickly scanned the room. Spotting Anthony, she intentionally walked in the opposite direction. Landing, in fact, next to Benedict. 

"You do not seem pleased with the painting before you." She noted, gaining his attention. 

"Ah, I see you've arrived." He greeted her. "And you would be correct. It's much too cold." He began dissecting it as Lady Danbury and a man Abigail did not know arrived on his other side. "Where's any sense of the subject's spirit? And the light! Given the quality, I do wonder why the piece was not skied with the other daubs."

"Perhaps we should as the artist." Lady Danbury pointed out. 

Abigail could sense there was something up her sleeve. Did she know the artist?

"Well that would be something, Lady Danbury." Benedict said, sarcastically. 

"Mm... Mr. Granville, why was your piece not skied?" She turned to the man on her right, and asked. 

Abigail immediately snorted, and her hand flew to her mouth as she suppressed her laughter.

"Mr. Granville, I—"

"If you will excuse me, I must find my wife." He excuse himself as Benedict sputtered. 

"You diabolical... How could you let me rattle on like that?" He questioned Lady Danbury. 

"How could I not my dear Mr. Bridgerton? It was riotously funny, you must admit." And with that, she walked away. 

"Don't." Benedict simply said as Abigail failed to further suppress her laughter. 

"I am saying nothing." She held her hands up in mock defense. 

"Well, keep it that way." 

A few moments passed between them as Abigail regained control of her laughter and they simply moved to look at another painting. 

"I..." He started but then trailed off. 

"Yes?" She prompted, continuing to stare ahead at the painting.

"I must apologize for my brother." He referred to the other night. 

Abby blushed involuntarily. 

"You should do no such thing. I certainly didn't fight it, in fact... I think part of me wished for it to happen." Her sentence got quieter at the end. 

A few moments passed between them before Benedict spoke again.

"May I ask something that might be considered improper?" 

"I think you've earned it." She said in response. 

"Do you wish to marry my brother?" He asked.

Taken aback by this, she said, "It does not matter what I wish. Your brother has made it quite clear he intends not to marry." 

Benedict sighed and said, "That may have been true, but now he seems to wish to marry you. Or at least court you I certainly cannot speak for—"

"What?" She cut him off in astonishment.

"I was simply saying that I cannot speak for him but—"

"Would you excuse me?" She requested, but did not wait for his reply before she charged off into the crowd.

Now, far from avoiding him, she was looking for him. She worked her way through the room, and when that ended in no avail, she landed in the foyer that was also chalked full of paintings. Sighing, she turned around, and that's when her eyes finally landed on him.

He must have felt her gaze, for mere moments after she her eyes found him, his eyes found hers. She wasn't quite sure how but he managed to take her breath away very time he looked at her that way he did. 

She took a step to move toward him. As did he, but they had each only managed a few before a voice calling her name interrupted her movements. 

"Miss Bentley!" It was the Prince who had called her, and now he had landed right in front of her. 

"Oh, your highness." She acknowledged him in politeness, and curtsied.

"I was hoping to see you today." He said with his accent lilting his words. 

"Were you?" She was still a little flustered from being interrupted moments before. 

"Yes, it seems the art is not the only beautiful thing on display, at present." He payed her a compliment and she smiled. 

"Um, tell me you must have traveled widely. How do you find London compared to elsewhere?" She asked, politely. 

"It is one of my favorite cities. Have you travelled much? I think you would just love the music of Vienna." He asked. 

However, what he asked went unnoticed by her, because when she glanced over, Anthony was no longer in the spot he just was. Because she had completely missed what he said, she simply made an excuse. 

"If you will excuse me for one moment, I am being summoned." She then delved back into the crowd and left the Prince without another thought. 

Yet, she searched and searched and Anthony was nowhere to be found. It seemed that during her conversation with the Prince, he had simply disappeared.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

106K 2K 35
Eleanora Fitzwilliam had known Anthony Bridgerton since they were both merely three and ten years of age. Eleanora's unexpected marriage to another m...
221K 5.5K 23
Kathryn Bishop had a great life. She grew up with loving and supportive parents and a younger sister who she got along with. Mr and Mrs. Bishop were...
76.3K 1.3K 21
"There are two sides to every coin, the head and the tail. You, sir, are certainly the latter." Madelyn Basset, the Duke of Hastings's little sister...
61.4K 3.3K 12
๐ˆ ๐ ๐š๐ณ๐ž ๐ฎ๐ฉ๐จ๐ง ๐ก๐ข๐ฆ ๐š๐ง๐ ๐ก๐ž ๐ฎ๐ฉ๐จ๐ง ๐ฆ๐ž, ๐š๐ง๐ ๐š๐ฅ๐ฅ ๐ฐ๐ž ๐Ÿ๐ž๐ž๐ฅ ๐ข๐ง๐ฌ๐ข๐๐ž ๐š๐ซ๐ž ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐ž๐œ๐ก๐จ๐ž๐ฌ ๐ซ๐ข๐ง๐ ๐ข๐ง๐  ๐ฐ๐ข๐ญ๐ก๐ข...