Mend

Miss Marina Thompson's recent fall from grace continues to echo through every drawing room in town, days after it was revealed her engagement to Colin Bridgerton was nothing more than a sham. Of course, a lady's disgrace does not merely tarnish her own name. Like the tars of the Thames, it also leaves a horrid smear on anyone nearby.

"Hold still, ma chérie." Madame Delacroix instructed, as Eloise could not stop fidgeting. 

"This scandal could very well tarnish my debut, Mama. Perhaps we should delay my coming out altogether a few years." 

"Oh hush, child, all will be well. Just keep smiling."

Abigail glanced up and caught Lady Richmond and a few others casting nervous glances towards them.

"Can a smile be enough to save the Featheringtons? Penelope and her sisters did nothing wrong, but their reputations are destroyed." 

"You should be worrying about your own family's fortunes at present. We are in just as perilous a position." Lady Bridgerton warned her in a hush tone only mothers seemed to be capable of using.

"But—" 

"Time and place, El." Abigail muttered to Eloise before she could protest any further. 

"Lovely day, is it not, Lady Richmond?" Violet called, receiving only a forced smile and a nod in return.

Well, we can't have that. 

"Oh goodness Lady Richmond, is that you?" Abigail stepped forward, putting on a sweet tone that was just believable enough.
"Oh Miss Bentley, hello." She nodded and attempted to go back to her fabrics. 

Now near her, Abigail continued, not allowing her to end the conversation. 

"I cannot believe it. I was just thinking of you. My mother used to tell me that if there was anyone who could elegantly accessorize, it was you." 

Abigail prayed she would take the bait and not catch on to the fact that she was blatantly buttering her up. Thankfully, she didn't notice. 

"Well, really?" The woman asked, seemingly flattered. 

"Why, yes! I remember, she admired your broach, the one with the circlet of pearls and sapphires. I confess I have found myself admiring it at several events this season, myself." She added a small laugh that would have sounded so dainty and fake to anyone who knew her, but Lady Richmond didn't seem to notice. 

"Oh, your mother was a dear. In fact, it's funny you should mention the broach because it was a gift passed from my great great..." 

Mission accomplished. The woman kept talking about the broach that Abigail knew she was far too proud of; precisely why she had mentioned it. In all honesty, her mother had never spoken of Lady Richmond, but Abby had overheard her at several functions boasting about the piece, so as she knew it would be a safe choice of conversation. 

"...he swore he bought it off of the pirate Bartholomew Roberts, have you ever heard such a thing?" 

Abigail forced a laugh. 

"I could never imagine." She glanced behind her where Madame Delacroix was finishing hemming Eloise's dress. "Well, we really must be off. Lady Bridgerton?" She called. 

"Ah, yes Abigail, darling." She came and met the women by the fabric's stand, pulling Eloise with her. 

"Well, we will see you soon. You will be at the Opera next week, will you not?" Abigail questioned, a smile still plastered on her face.