My Silver Lining (Marvel/Star...

By catalan_andrea

Miranda Rambeau, formerly known as Ayla Breha Shan, is the adopted daughter of Maria Rambeau and younger sist... More

Chapter 1: The Decision
Chapter 2: The Reunion
Chapter 3: The Mission
Chapter 4: The Death Wish
Chapter 5: The Encampment
Chapter 6: The Child
Chapter 7: The Jawas
Chapter 8: The Mudhorn
Chapter 9: Getting The Child Back
Chapter 10: Escaping Nevarro
Chapter 11: Sorgan
Chapter 13: A Glimpse Into The Past
Chapter 14: Taking Down The Raiders
Chapter 15: The Bounty Hunter
Chapter 16: Tatooine
Chapter 17: The Betrayal
Chapter 18: The Mercenaries
Chapter 19: The Job
Chapter 20: Getting Even
Chapter 21: You Are Not My Mother
Chapter 22: Clan Of Two
Chapter 23: The Mistake
Chapter 24: Returning Home
Chapter 25: Time Heist
Chapter 26: The Battle Against Thanos
Chapter 27: Leave It To Ayla
Chapter 28: The Djarin Family
Chapter 29: The Talent Show

Chapter 12: Nightmares

147 4 2
By catalan_andrea

As I opened my eyes memories from what I did in the Framework. Tears filled my eyes. May and I gave the order to bomb that building...and the Patriot, Jeffrey, was inside. I remembered his face before we left the building. His last words to me. "Mandy, I love you...I'll never stop loving you."

His words made me snap out of what Hydra had drilled in me. And I killed him...I had my boyfriend killed. As soon as we were out of the Framework, Coulson approached me, looking worried. "Mandy, hey, look at me. This is not your fault."

"Of course, this is my fault! I killed him, Coulson!" I retorted.

"No! It's my fault! It's all my fault!" I cried out as I sat up.

I glanced around to see Cara and Mando staring at me. I then looked over to see the child whimpering as he looked around. My eyes widened as I realized what I was dreaming about. Oh jeez...I hope I didn't say anything. But most importantly I hoped Mando wouldn't ask about it, because I'm not sure I could bring myself to talk about that. R8 was worried as he let out several high pitch beeps, wondering if I was all right. I placed a hand over his head.

"I'm all right, R8." I assured him. I then glanced over at the child, wrapping a hand around one of his small hands. "Hey, little one, it's okay. Go back to sleep."

He gave my hand a gentle squeeze before his eyes closed. I did my best to avoid Cara's and Mando's gaze, not wanting to explain what I had dreamt of.

•••

The next morning, we arrived at the village. The place was filled with rectangular cottages made out of wood, small blue pristine ponds, several tables filled with tools, and many people, wearing clothing similar to Caben and Stoke. A couple of the children rushed towards us. When they reached the cart, they became fascinated with the child, who tilted his head, looking at all the kids. The kids were also intrigued with R8, who was loving the attention.

I helped Cara and Mando grab our belongings out from the cart. Cara, Mando, and I were each given a lodging. A woman by the name of Omera showed R8 and me to our cottage, which had a bed, a hammock, a small table, a chair, and a window.

"I stacked some blankets over there in a pile." Omera informed me.

I nodded. "Thank you."

I then felt a tingly sensation coming from the back of my head. Quickly, I placed a hand around my holster as I spun around, seeing a girl. Her eyes widened, looking frightened. Omera immediately walked over to the girl, pulling her into her arms. "This is my daughter, Winta. We don't get a lot of visitors around here. She's not used to strangers. This nice woman is going to protect us from the bad ones."

My heart clenched. Now I felt guilty for scaring her. Winta wore a timid look as she spoke. "Thank you."

I cracked a smile. "It's the right thing to do. Thank you for giving us a place to stay."

"It's the least we can do since you're helping us. Come on, Winta. Let's give our guests some room." Omera suggested.

With that, Omera and her daughter, Winta both left, leaving R8 and me alone. Once night fell, Omera came to inform me that dinner was ready and was being served by the fire. So R8 and I left our new home, making our way to the fire, where the others were. I sat down next to Mando, who held the child in his lap. I gave Mando a small smile, earning a nod from him. We then sat in silence as we were given bowls of soup. Mando passed his to the child, who was more than happy to eat it.

"How are you liking your lodging?" Mando asked, breaking the silence.

"It's cozy." I mentioned. "How are you liking it?"

"It's...nice. The little womp rat likes it." Mando commented.

Upon hearing his nickname, the child turned towards us, letting out a coo. I let out a chuckle. "He needs a better nickname."

"That's a good nickname. He doesn't need another one." Mando retorted. He then changed the subject. "Last night, when you were sleeping in the repulsorcraft, you mumbled someone's name. Who's Jeffrey?"

My heart dropped upon hearing that name. Immediately, I shook my head. "Never heard of that name."

But Mando wasn't giving up. He was persistent as he shot back. "Don't lie, Rambeau. You know who I'm talking about."

I narrowed my eyes at him. "You know you're a pain in the ass, and quite heartless, but then again what should've I expected from a man who's always in a metal suit."

With that, I dropped the bowl I had on the ground before storming back to my new home. R8 trailed behind me, letting out several beeps. He tried to cheer me up, telling me that he was going to make Mando's life miserable, but nothing would make me feel better. Poor R8 knew as he let out a low sad beep before remaining quiet. Once we returned back to our home, I sat in the chair, sitting by the window. R8 was in the corner, shut down to rest. I stared out the window, thinking about my past. It had been three years since I said his name...Jeffrey. After Brock, I thought I'd never fall in love again, but Jeffrey proved me wrong. But then I killed him in the twisted world of the Framework. I was beginning to believe that I didn't deserve love...that I was never meant to be with anyone as love always seemed to leave me...

At that moment, I heard a familiar coo coming from the opening of the door. I spun around to see the child, walking in, snapping me out of my thoughts. I cracked a smile as I extended out my arms, and immediately, he made his way towards me. Once he was in my arms, I gently lifted him up. The child tilted his head as he looked up at me, letting out another coo. I placed a finger around his hand, which he immediately took in his hand. I wasn't sure where this sudden surge of confidence came from, but I blurted out. "You want me to sing you a lullaby?"

The child babbled as he gave me a nod. I cracked a smile. "All right..."

I took a deep breath before I began to sing. "You tucked me in, turned out the lights,

Kept me safe and sound at night,

Little girls depend on things like that,

Brushed my teeth and combed my hair had to drive me everywhere,

You were always there when I looked back.

You had to do it all alone, make a livin' make a home,

Must been as hard as it can be.

And when I couldn't sleep at night,

Scared things wouldn't turn out right,

You would hold my hand and sing to me,

Caterpillar in tree,

How you wonder who you'll be,

Can't go far but you can always dream.

Wish you may and wish you might,

Don't you worry, hold on tight.

I promise you there will come a day,

Butterfly fly away, butterfly fly away.

Flap your wings now you can't stay.

Take those dreams and make them all come true.

Butterfly fly away, butterfly fly away.

We've been waiting for this day,

All along and knowing just what to do.

Butterfly, butterfly, butterfly fly away.

Butterfly fly away...butterfly fly away."

By the time the lullaby was over, I glanced back at the child to see fast asleep. Tears streamed down my cheeks. Mom would always sing that song to me...

"Beautiful..." Mando's voice rang out.

Immediately, I looked up to see Mando standing at the door. I raised an eyebrow. "What?"

"Uh, I meant the song..."  Mando clarified.

I nodded. We remained in silence as he slowly walked towards me. Then, once he approached me, I spoke up. "What are you doing here?"

"I noticed the child was gone, so I searched the entire village for him...and that's when I heard someone singing." Mando explained. "I didn't think it was you...I'm sorry."

"For what?" I questioned.

"For pushing you...you have your reasons for not telling me. So, I'm sorry, jai'galaar." Mando apologized.

I cracked a smile. "You ever gonna tell me what that means?"

"Shriek-hawk, that's what it means. The language is Mando'a. The language of my people." Mando revealed. "...Only those who are Mandalorian know our language."

I was taken back. If only Mandalorians knew of the language, then why did he open up and tell me this? I didn't want to open up to him about Jeffrey, but I did want to open up to him, especially after what he told me. So with that in mind, I responded. "That lullaby...my mom used to sing it to me when I was a little girl."

Mando tilted his head. "And where is she now?"

"Dead...She died of cancer. My mom she was able to beat it once, but then it came back." I explained as tears filled my eyes. "She died not long ago..."

"I'm terribly sorry, Miranda." Mando said.

"Thanks...I just wish my sister was there." I revealed, looking anywhere but at him.

"And where is she?" Mando asked, sounding intrigued.

I hesitated. "This is gonna sound crazy, but she vanished...She was with our mom and me at the hospital. We just received the good news that my mom was cancer free, and that's when it happened, Monica vanished into many tiny ashes right before us, disappearing to who knows where...Mom tried to remain positive that Monica would be back...Three years passed and the cancer came back, stronger. I tried to think like she would, positive, but she didn't make it..."

I trailed off as tears streamed down my cheeks. I didn't expect to break down in front of him, but my emotions got the better of me, especially since they returned all at once, and with everything that I've gone through, it was pretty overwhelming. Not to mention that I had no one to talk...I mean, I had R8, but I didn't have another human to speak to. Could I even call myself a human? Am I human? Is Mando a human? I mentally shook my head. It didn't matter, especially not now. I thought he'd walk away, leaving me alone, but instead he reached a gloved hand out, placing it over one of my hands.

I was taken back, surprised to see Mando being kind, showing any sort of sympathy to me. But I didn't pull away. Instead, I intertwined my fingers with his. I felt him tense up, but after a few moments, he gave my hand a gentle squeeze. Immediately, my heart skipped a beep. I could feel admiration, sympathy and kindness, radiating from him. I cracked a smile. Mando then spoke up. "I believe you, years ago people disappeared like you mentioned all across the galaxy. I saw it happen right in front of me..."

I cracked a smile. "Thanks."

He gave me a small nod. We then remained silent, we kept our hands together though, looking down at the child, who was fast asleep.

•••

The next day, I was sitting at my table, tinkering with my glasses that I helped build with S.H.I.E.L.D. I was so engrossed in my work that I didn't hear the child enter along with Winta until I heard their giggles. R8 trailed behind them, letting out several high pitch beeps, playing along with them. Winta noticed what I was working on as she walked over towards me with curious eyes.

"What are you working on?" She questioned.

"My glasses, they're a special kind." I explained.

Winta nodded, looking at the glasses in fascination. The child then let out a coo, making his way towards us. Winta then asked me the last thing I expected to hear. "Do you want to play with us?"

I was baffled upon hearing her words. I let out a nervous chuckle. "Oh, no, I can't possibly--"

But Winta wasn't taking no for an answer as she grabbed my hand, giving me a puppy face look. "Please?!"

I let out a sigh, knowing I couldn't deny her request now. "All right, all right, I'll play with you."

Winta let out an excited squeal as she squeezed my hand. I let her drag me out towards the middle of the village, where the other children where. Once they saw me, the kids surrounded me, making me nervous. I gave them a small wave. "Uh, hi."

"She's the Jedi, here to save us from the raiders." Winta mentioned.

I turned around to face her. "The what?"

"We're playing pretend." Winta explained. "You're the Jedi. We're the raiders."

I was taken back by her words. Me? A Jedi? I couldn't say no to her, especially now. So, I cracked a smile, grabbing a stick from the ground, raising it towards the kids. "You raiders won't stand a chance against me! The mighty Jedi Knight, Miranda Rambeau!" 

As we played, I got so into it, letting out a carefree laugh and little did I know that a certain Mandalorian was watching me from his window. It was a long while since I was this carefree, laughing without forcing it. But that happiness wouldn't last as that night, I tried sleeping, but once again it was plagued with nightmares.

The agent pointed his pistol at the boy, Stefano, who was trembling. "Don't come any closer or I'll shoot the boy."

I slowly raised my hands, watching as the man took the boy inside the building. Determined to make things right, I ran inside the building after them. I spun around, seeing the agent running up the stairs. I quickly trailed behind the agent and the boy, following them until we reached the rooftop. The Ten Rings agent pulled Stefano closer to him, keeping the gun pointed at the boy.

That's when I realized we weren't alone. I turned around to see several Ten Rings agents, each pointing their weapons to a small group of civilians. My heart clenched. The agent holding Stefano spoke up. "Choose wisely..."

I looked around to see the civilians's gazes all on me. They were terrified as they trembled, begging to be left alone. My heart rapidly hammered against my chest. I rummaged through my mind, searching for a way out of this mess as I slowly reached for my gun.

"No! Stop!" I cried out.

"Hey, Miranda! Wake up!" A familiar voice rang out.

I shot up from the bed, panting. A bead of sweat formed on my forehead. I looked around, seeing Mando standing by my side. R8 trailed behind him, making his way towards me, letting out several beeps, asking if it was another memory of my past.

"Yeah, but I'll be fine, R8. It's not the first time nor will it be the last time." I assured him.

R8 didn't like the sound of that as he protested within several beeps, telling me that I can't keep this to myself, I need to open up and talk about this. And to my surprise, Mando spoke up. "I have to agree with R8 on this. You should talk about whatever's bothering you."

My shoulders slumped. He was right...they both were. I was terrified of opening up, especially to Mando, afraid he'd be horrified, wanting to leave me and keep the child away from me. Mando extended out a hand out towards me. It was his silent way of encouraging me to talk about it. I didn't want to continue with these nightmares, and I wasn't sure why, but I trusted Mando. I now felt like I could tell him this...after all he comforted me when I told him about mom and Monica, something that was very dear to me. Besides Mando went back for the child when he didn't have to, but because it was the right thing to do. He had a heart deep down underneath that armor of his. I took in a deep shaky breath as I grabbed his hand for support before speaking.

"Many years ago, a friend of mine, who I came to view was a father and I took a new recruit to test him...the mission, it was all staged...some our own agents pretended the were members of the Ten Rings in Monaco...that is until we ran into actual operatives of the organization. Several of them held civilians as hostiles, the worst part was there was a child amongst them, Stefano..." I began. "...I was terrified, but I came up with a plan, and quickly. I was able to save everyone, well, all except the child. He was killed by one of the operatives, dying in my arms, I was devastated, torn...For weeks, that's all I could think about. It's...why I'm reluctant to be around children..."

I closed my eyes, feeling tears pricking my eyes. Mando then said what I could never say out loud, but what I was terrified of. "You're afraid of the same thing happening if you get close to a child, especially with the kid."

I grimaced, but gave him a nod. Mando gave my hand a gentle squeeze. "It won't happen, Miranda. I won't let it...besides you've taken such great care of the womp rat. He loves you. He is safe because he has us. We will protect him."

I cracked a smile, feeling relieved. "Thanks, Mando. You know you can call me Mandy."

"Mandy..." He said above a hushed whisper. "I like it. Suits you."

My smile widened at his words. "Thanks, Mando."

R8 let out a few beeps as he bumped into Mando, reminding us that he was still here with us. I let out a chuckle, while Mando let out a sigh, clenching his fists. "I'm gonna kill him."

R8 let out a terrified beep as it scurried to the corner of our home. I whipped around to face the Mandalorian. "Mando..."

"Jai'galaar." He quipped.

"All this time you've been calling me a shriek-hawk." I retorted. "But then again, I shouldn't have been so surprised, since you called the poor kid a womp-rat."

"Hey, he loves it." Mando rebuked.

I rolled my eyes. "Yeah, sure, whatever you say...But seriously, thanks for this...and well, for being here..."

Mando gave me a small nod. And with that, we sat there in silence for the rest of the night. Days went by, and I became closer to both the child and Mando. To my surprise, I became good friends. Mando, Cara, and I made our way to the forest to assess the threat of the raiders. The child and R8 remained in the village. I took out my glasses, putting them on as we scanned the area. Cara noticed my glasses, raising an eyebrow. "How are those gonna help?"

"They're special glasses. They can do a plethora of stuff, like see through buildings and what not, see heat signatures, and much more." I retorted, earning a surprised look from Cara.

Little did I know that Mando was watching us. As I glanced around to face him, his helmet was directed towards the ground, searching for tracks. 

"About fifteen or twenty of them came through here on foot." He commented before pointing to the tree in front of us. "And something big sheared off those branches."

As we walked further into forest, we saw the footprint of a walker in the dirt. My eyes widened. Immediately, a picture of an AT-ST appeared on the side of my lens. I blurted out. "An AT-ST."

Cara glanced over at me, but refrained from saying anything. No doubt she was wondering how I knew. Fortunately Mando spoke up. "Imperial walker. What's it doing here?"

"I don't know. But this is more than I signed up for." Cara mentioned.

We all exchanged uneasy looks before returning to the village. We walked back in silence until I spoke up. "What're we gonna do now?"

"We have to tell them that we can't do the job, that they'll have to simply move somewhere else." Cara mentioned. "But we have to say it carefully."

So once we returned, we gathered everyone in the middle of the village. I thought of how we'd break the news to them gently, but Mando blurted it out all at once. "Bad news. You can't live here anymore."

"What?! Why?!" The villagers shouted out, baffled.

"Nice bedside manner." Cara quipped.

"You think you can do better?" Mando asked.

"Can't do much worse." Cara shot back. She then took a step towards the people. "I know this is not the news you you wanted to hear, but there are no other options."

"You took the job!" Stoke exclaimed.

"Yeah!" Several villagers yelled.

"Yes, which we understand, but we didn't know about the AT-ST." I pointed out.

Stoke furrowed his brows. "What's that?"

"The armored walker with two enormous guns that you knew and didn't tell us." Cara shot back.

I then watched as the villagers, protested, begging us to help them out. I understood...this was their home, they wouldn't leave...it's the only place they've known. My heart clenched. I knew what that was like...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.3K 232 26
A Star Wars (Bad Batch) fan-fiction. YA (some violence) ๐’๐ฎ๐ฆ๐ฆ๐š๐ซ๐ฒ Jade lives in guilt. She's escaped the dreaded Arena, but she left her brother...
543 47 30
Part One: Sumya, the youngest leader of Clan Wren, at the age of sixteen, has been captured and is being held by the First Order. Alone and scared...
29.8K 1K 35
"...๐˜ธ๐˜ช๐˜ต๐˜ฉ ๐˜บ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ, ๐˜ช'๐˜ฎ ๐˜ด๐˜ข๐˜ง๐˜ฆ..." The story of Nova, a broken girl with a past that's slowly destroying her. And Din, a Mandalorian who doesn't...
909 22 15
The Mandalorian gets more than he bargained for when he takes a risky job in exchange for information on a Jedi. Preferring to work alone, he is frus...