Inside The House

由 _Maxwell_Porter_

Inside The House Trilogy - BOOK 1 A tour to Europe sounds like a sensational road trip plan for any American... 更多

I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVIII
XIX
XX
XXI
XXII
XXIII
XXIV
Epilouge
Acknowledgments and a short note from the author

XVII

269 22 0
由 _Maxwell_Porter_

It was Sunday before noon when Rayan went to his place. It was immediately after breakfast, which he ate with me in the kitchen, which was filled as usual every morning with the staff of the Von Rostov house. On this occasion he met Ezekiel the cook, Buck the chauffeur, Pyra and Myra he had met the previous evening at dinner, but that did not stop him from having a few words with them. In general, Rayan was acting strangely upon awakening. He was in a good mood, not walking around with his face resembling indifference or constant nervousness. Saying goodbye to the boy, I came to the conclusion that he must have had a good time here. This also annoyed me a bit, because the way my family behaves, how he has a high opinion of himself for me is an everyday occurrence and for him only entertainment for one evening. The boy also told me to thank all the household members for hosting him and wish them good health. Quite culturally, I admit. He washed out of the Von Rostov mansion as quickly as possible so as not to have to meet Kevin. I already knew the Doberman well enough to know that he didn't want to talk to him, not because That he was ashamed or afraid of him. I think he just didn't want to piss me off more. Rayan couldn't let go of Kevin and Kevin's banter with each other last night at dinner, and he knew I'd probably have a conversation with my future half-brother about smoking marijuana. So he slipped away so as not to make even more trouble for me on that account. As it turned out later, it was a good decision.

Kevin was acting very strangely until noon when we saw each other. Before noon we went out to shoot at a target because Kevin was leaving for the Royal Military Academy tomorrow. The first day he showed up at his family's mansion he said he had brought a gun with him. We haven't had a chance to use it yet because somehow there just hasn't been time. Kevin acted like he was trying hard to ignore me. Sometimes he would throw in some weird "are you sure you can shoot in this state? I'm sure he was referring to my marijuana smoking yesterday, but I didn't let him provoke me. I decided that I would just pretend to act normal. This probably irritated him more, because clearly Kevin was very upset that I had spent some time with Rayan. Maybe Kevin thought my classmate was a bad influence on me? However, he didn't directly say what he meant, so I didn't pursue the topic myself or even start it. Maybe he didn't want to say directly what he meant because Aurelia was with us? She was also shooting at the target and she was doing as badly as me. But the teenager is a keen observer, so I bet she also sensed that Kevin had a problem with me. Surprisingly, she didn't ask what he meant. Maybe she wanted to be decent and not ask?

In fact, it kind of looked like Kevin was jealous. I didn't even want to get into the reasons why he might feel jealous of Rayan. In this case, my ignorance seemed far more attractive than the prospect of learning the reasons why the young man was jealous of me. Another option is that I'm adding stories to myself that don't exist. Maybe Kevin just wasn't happy with my irresponsible behavior? Smoking marijuana doesn't sound good, let alone with a boy who just a week ago treated me like the inferior sort. In that case, Kevin would have reason to be angry...but no exaggeration. After all, it's my life, so I can make the decisions I want. I guess.

In the afternoon, I decided it was high time to practice for the dance competition. I'm leaving out the competition that didn't happen or was postponed by the blizzard. I was referring to the one that the coach said was going to be held in the town that Gregory and Buck picked me and my mom up from when we arrived by plane from the United States. Supposedly it's going to be some big event, and I haven't even decided what song I'm going to dance to yet. I had a few ideas and was thinking of different moves. The problem was that with each new song I turned on my headphones, another idea popped into my head, another move and another idea. I couldn't make up my mind, so I wrote down all the ideas in my notebook, which after two hours was all crossed out. I even tried to practice the layouts I came up with. I would watch myself in front of the mirror how it looked, what I was doing with my legs, arms or hips. The question was whether the routines were wrong or if my bruise under my eye was simply disfiguring the whole show I was putting on in front of myself. I thought that if there was an opportunity I would say at the table that in about a week there should be a competition and I am preparing. Apolonia would be sure to hear this and would send Myra for me at night to practice the arrangements. It is not that I feel any sympathy for the old woman. She was simply a good teacher and knew her job.

Dinner time came just as quickly as usual. I left my room with the intention of going to the dining room. At the same time, Aurelia came out of her room and smiled at me.

- Come get Kevin some more, we'll go together. - She announced.

So we did. We stood at Kevin's door and knocked. We waited a while, but nothing happened. It was obvious that the boy had already come down. I moved forward but I had not even missed half a step when Aurelia grabbed my arm and walking with me slowed down our steps almost to a snail's pace.

- Do you know what Kevin might be referring to? What do you think? - She asked.

- Probably about me smoking marijuana with Rayan. - I replied and shrugged my shoulders.

Aurelia took a deep breath.

- Let's hope for just that.

- What more could it be about? - I asked intrigued.

- I don't know about you, but I noticed that Kevin was acting like you cheated on him today or something. - She replied smiling crookedly as she walked down the stairs with me.

- Fact. That's what it looked like but I think he was just mad at me because I acted irresponsibly.

Aurelia rolled her eyes from top to bottom and gave me a quizzical look.

- Fact, after all, I act responsibly all the time, so Kevin doesn't have to be mad at me about anything, does he?

- What do you mean? - I asked in astonishment. - You hardly ever behave responsibly... - I answered, although what Aurelia said needed no comment, because I already knew what she wanted to say.

- Exactly. - She said as we walked down the stairs. - And what the hell, but I'm his cousin he grew up with. I don't mean to be jealous, but... be careful. Things can get really weird from this "situation".

Did Aurelia just suggest to me that I was attracted to Kevin? Or that we like each other? In fact, who am I kidding. A teenager told me what I don't even want to think about.

- Thanks for the advice, but I'm not stupid. - I answered as I approached the dining room with the young she-wolf.

Everyone sat down where they usually did. Kevin was already in the dining room and smiled at me in a way he didn't remember anything from the morning. Maybe he had thought things through and concluded that there was nothing to be upset about? If that was the case it was a very good thing. Problem solved.

An appetizer was served and everyone got down to eating. To my surprise my mother spoke up:

- Max, Gregory and I thought we would throw your birthday party next Saturday. We really want Kevin to make it in time for your eighteenth birthday.

My birthday. I actually completely forgot about them, but my mom was right. Admittedly, the first of February fell on a Monday in a week, but I've had enough of Monday parties. I know from experience that they end badly.

- Good idea. - I replied. - Can I invite someone from school?

Kevin went pale at this point and my mom smiled. I guess he thought I wanted to invite Rayan. I decided to quickly enlighten the company that he was not the one I had in mind.

- I wanted to invite Elizabeth and maybe some cheerleading teammates.

Kevin took a breath and started grinning goofily again. Either he disliked Rayan a lot, or he liked me too much.

- Of course you can. - Gregory said. - But please, for grandma's sake, wear evening clothes, okay?

- Sure. - I replied, wondering how I should tell Elizabeth to wear her evening gown to the birthday party.

- Ehh, I thought you were going to invite Rayan. - Said Aurelia while chewing on a piece of puff pastry.

- That's right, why don't you invite that boy too? - Luna suggested, lighting her cigarette at that moment.

- I don't think so. Rayan and I are just working on a project. To be honest, I'm not really fond of him. - I replied wryly.

- Too bad, he seemed very sociable and polite. - Said Gregory sipping wine from his glass.

It seemed. Rayan couldn't afford to be polite. The way he'd been acting lately was simply the result of marijuana. However, I decided to keep that information to myself exclusively. I thought it would be a good opportunity to tell about the dance competition.

- It's a good thing my birthday will be next Saturday. I'll have a big dance competition in less than two weeks. I need to get ready.

- Where is this competition going to be? - Gregory asked.

- The town you picked me and my mom up from. The big one with the airport. - I said.

Suddenly, I heard a fork clatter against the porcelain tableware. I looked around the table and noticed that the sound was made by Apolonia, or rather by the fork she had dropped on the plate. Her face was frozen, as it always was. It was clear to me that she wanted to let me know that I should be ready tonight... At least that's what I thought until she gave me an icy stare that lasted less than a split second. Something wasn't right.

- You mean "Kosevo?" - Gregory mused. - Of course you mean Kosevo. Well, I don't know much about dance competitions, I don't know much about them, but I assure you Buck will get you anywhere you need to go.

- Thank you. - I replied and smiled.

- Will it be possible to see this performance? - Kevin asked as the maids served the main course.

- I don't know that. - I replied. - But the contest will be sometime in the middle of the week, and you'll be at the Academy, so you probably wouldn't see it anyway.

- So maybe at least Buck will be able to see. - He said while starting to eat.

It could have been. I liked Buck, so it would actually be nice to spend some time with him. Now that I've implemented myself into the customs of the family and know who's who here, maybe our conversation will be some more private or something.

Dinner passed surprisingly peacefully. No arguments, no hurt looks, no annoyances. I guess everyone wanted to make it fun for Kevin before he left for the Academy. He was only going to be back for next weekend and then leave again from what I could tell, so it was understandable that the family wanted to be nice. Even this family.

After dinner, everyone said goodbye to each other and headed to their bedrooms. I said goodbye to Kevin at the door to his room. We hugged and I wished him a safe trip tomorrow when he left. Kevin patted me and said he would see me soon. When I got into my room, I immediately changed into some comfortable clothes that would be appropriate for dancing. I knew that sooner or later Myra would show up at the door. It happened sooner than I expected. Much sooner, in fact. Myra also looked more frightened than usual. I told her I could easily make it to the east wing and headed there too. I wondered what that could have been about. All I knew was that Apolonia must have been upset. Otherwise Myra wouldn't have been so scared. I walked through the ajar door leading to the east wing and in the dark, touching the walls of the hallway, I walked toward the ballet room. When I got there, I noticed that Apolonia was already compact and ready to play the piano. She did not even look at me. So I walked past her and grabbed onto the rail attached to the mirrored wall with one hand. I began to stretch and the old woman finally opened her mouth.

- Do you even have any idea what you did? - She asked in a tone that suggested as if she knew exactly that I didn't know. That's exactly what it was, I didn't know.

- I don't really understand. - I replied while stretching in front of the mirror. - I signed up for a dance competition a long time ago. What's wrong with that?

- And only now are you saying that you are going to a competition that is being held in Kosevo? - She said stretching her vocal cords probably to the limit. I felt a stab of fear because I did not know what she meant.

- Can you explain what this competition is all about? - I asked stopping to stretch.

The woman grabbed her temple with her wolf paw and bowed her forehead. She looked as if she had a migraine and could hardly speak.

- The competition in the city of Kosevo, is the first stage of a three-stage dance competition. - She began to speak with great seriousness. - In the first, the jury selects three semi-finalists. In the second stage, the jury selects only two from those three. The third stage is the dance in front of the king. Fortunately, your last name is Porter. In the event of your highly probable failure, no one will associate you with me.

The way the old woman spoke made me tremble. The tone of her voice suggested that I had gotten myself into an extremely demanding dance competition. However, I was comforted by the fact that no one in this house was interested in dancing. If I lost, no one would even care.

As I gathered my thoughts, I ran my hand through my hair and sighed loudly. Friday I'm supposed to act out our theater scene with Rayan. Saturday I'll be having a birthday party with this family and I don't know what could happen and then a competition from which only three people from the whole country will be chosen. It promises to be pretty good.

- Please play. - I said to Apolonia.

Withoutwaiting for anything, she started tapping her fingers on the piano keys.Something told me that now I would see grandma Apolonia every night.

繼續閱讀

You'll Also Like

53.2K 2K 58
PLAY HARD! PLAY LOUD! HAVE FUN! HARVARD NORTHWEST, an eighteen-year-old coyote, is just finishing up his final year of high school, and that means it...
254 1 43
Jacob, an abusive, jealous, and manipulative man, just cannot seem to impress his ex in front of his new partner. Rather, he can't win him back. In t...
477K 5.3K 77
Please read ⚠️⚠️⚠️ I created my Wattpad account in 2012. I have a lot to thank fan fiction for. This book of imagines has not been edited, at al...
8.6K 556 30
For years, the brave and determined wolf Rainer has been preparing to overthrow the rule of the tyrant and murderer of his family, Jarl Magnar. Just...