Like Yesterday [on hold]

By somethingyours

❝everybody thinks she's perfect.❞ She's smart, caring, and loves writing to death. But seeing is deceiving... More

Like Yesterday
[00]: Exchanging smiles.
[02]: avery who?
[03]: taking chances.

[01]: nightmares do that to you.

701 30 15
By somethingyours

01 // Chapter One.

"I believe in everything until it's disproved. So I believe in fairies, the myths, dragons. It all exists, even it's in your mind. Who's to say that dreams and nightmares aren't as real as the here and now?" -John Lennon.

_________

It turned out that my sister has a nightmare.

When she told me, I was on the verge of not-knowing-whether-to-laugh-or-cry tears. I mean, I ran from my college to the hospital, making up some worst scenarios on my head that might happened to her, and it turns out that she has a nightmare.

"I'll leave you two alone," Doctor Goodings said, she gave me an apologetic look and stepped out, closing the door behind her.

I folded my arms in front of my chest, tapping my feet, I gave my sister a you'd-better-have-a-good-excuse look. Harley gave me a wry smile and looked down at her fingers, then she started playing with it.

I took no time to say: "So you insisted on wanting to see me at eleven in the morning, when I'm in the middle of the class, because you had a nightmare? Correct me if I'm wrong, which hopefully, I am."

Cora flinched. "I said I'm sorry!"

"A sorry can't change anything, Cora." I sighed.

"Then what do you want me to do? Invent a freaking time machine and rewind this whole. . thing?" she said, looking up at me. There was something in the look of her eyes that made me softened a bit, it was something like regret? I'm not sure.

I thought of it for a moment. Since I'm here because of my sister's nightmare, and it was just nearly impossible for me to go back to school, I decided to stay here. Walking over to grab a stool near under her bed, I positioned it beside her bed and set on it.

"Tell me about the nightmare, then." I said with a softer voice.

She stared at me like I'm crazy. "No, no. Anything but that."

"Why?" I spat, rolling my eyes. "It's not like you had a nightmare about Mom and Dad or anything-" I stopped when I noticed her face immediately when darker than usual. Our parents were the only the topic we never talked, let alone mention, it was like a memory that we wanted to be forgotten, because it didn't end well.

Especially to Cora.

And now I said something worst than that. Shit.

"Cora," I said.

"Shut up," my sister snapped, lowering her head so she was staring at her blanket, not me.

I frowned at her. Sometimes I said the wrong word at the wrong time, and it sucked. Like right now. My sister sniffed, making me froze. Sniff? What? Normally when we mentioned-not normally, more like rarely-our parents, that was her reaction; she'd cry. Not because of what happened to them, but because of the guilt she felt.

"Cora, I'm sorry," I apologized sincerely. I didn't mean to hurt her. I really didn't.

She was silent for a moment, and I let it be. It'd be better if I didn't interrupt her if she'd like to collect herself.

After what seemed like, ten minutes, she said: "I dreamt of us-you, me and mom and dad- it's Christmas, and we were sitting in our living room after dinner, watching reruns of How I Met Your Mother, you were reading-as usual, and we were just laughing at Barney and Ted and it's just-" Pausing, she took a deep breath before continuing. "It was the best dream ever, and I missed mom and dad, so, so much."

Right at the moment, every memories just came in my mind, the memories where we had as a family-when our family weren't broken yet. It just hurt, watching your sister crying, telling you that she missed your parents, when you know that you couldn't do anything to get them back.

I stood up and sat on the bed, pulling Cora towards me, she just started sobbing on my shoulder just when she reached it. So I soothed her hair out and tried to comfort her.

"I'm sorry, Hazel. This is all my fault." Cora sobbed into my chest.

"Shh, Cora. It's not your fault," I told her, kissing her on the head.

But she ignored me, like I hadn't say anything. "If I weren't dying, dad wouldn't leave us and mom wouldn't jump of that bridge and-"

"Cora, stop it!" I said harshly. "I don't like it when you're blaming yourself. It's not your fault. Dad didn't leave us because of you, and mom didn't commit suicide because of you, okay? Enough of that."

Well it was basically a lie. Two years ago mom decided that taking care of us weren't worth it because, well, my sister's dying and I dropped out from high school because I wanted to help my mom to take care of my sister. But I didn't expect my mom to wake up early in the morning, prepare us our break-last breakfast, and the next thing I knew, we were being taken down to the police station.

"I-"

"Enough." I threatened, just as she stopped crying, but she remained silent in my arms. I refused to let go of her anyway, so I gave her a light squeeze on the hand I was holding. "Everything's going to be fine, Cora."

"Easy for you to say," I could hear her mumble. But I smiled, the Harley I knew was back within minutes. The thoughtful and carefree sister of mine was back. That's the thing about her, she wouldn't let something effect her easily. She was a strong woman.

I grinned and ruffled her hair. Then I suddenly remembered something, my jaw literally dropped to the floor. "Holy shit!"

Cora rolled her eyes as she wiped her tears with her sleeve. "What? No cursing in here!"

I ignored the last part. "I left my bag in the class-"

"Hazel?" A new voice chirped.

I turned my head, my heart was still beating a lot faster because I just realized that I've left literally my entire life in a freaking classroom! Dr. Goodings was by the door, peeking in, she smiled up at Cora and turned to look at me.

I cleared my throat and stood up, fixing my shirt. "How can I help you?"

"Can I speak to you for a moment?" Just as I was about to say anything, she cut me off, again. "In private please."

I thought of it for a moment. I didn't like the sound of this, it was like she was about to tell me some bad news that's going to effect my life forever and-

"Sure, of course! Hazel will meet you in your office!" My sister answered it for me, pushing me away from her bed, half yelling. "Go!"

And so I did.

________

"Hazel, a gentle reminder that-"

"I get it, no running in the hospital." I said bashfully, recalling on how I reacted when I rushed here earlier.

"Yes, that," Doctor Goodings said as she leaned down, pulling a drawer which was located at her desk while I sat there awkwardly in a chair opposite of her. I focused my gaze on the sign placed proudly on her desk that read: Sarah Goodings.

I've been here plenty of times, mostly to discuss about my sister's situation. I remembered the first time I was here, I was told that my sister has Leukemia.

"Well, I just wanted to talk to you about Cora."

"What about her?"

"Have you told her how long does she left?"

I shrugged. "No."

"Am I allowed to ask why?" Doctor Goodings' voice was calmed.

"Because it will crush her," I responded, not in a mean way.

For a moment, she sighed. It was clearly an awkward silence between us, but I didn't know anything better to say.

"I know this is not easy for you," Cora's doctor said all of a sudden, I gave her a light smile. "But you're a very strong girl, Hanna. I know I can count on you."

"Sometimes I felt tired, you know?" I said. It shocked me that I'm actually talking about this with her, every time I got called in here, our topic would always revolve around my sister. I sighed and shook my head, not wanting to continue.

"I know, honey," she said softly. "That is why I'm trying to help you girls as much as I can."

Truthfully, I had to thank Sarah for everything. If it hadn't been her volunteering to keep Cora in this hospital, I didn't know where would we ended up at. Our parents left us some savings, but it would ran out anytime soon. I have half of Cora's hospital bills to pay, the other half where Sarah has paid for me.

Thank God I was on a scholarship that paid for my school fees and my dorm room's that I shared with a few roommates, which in time, we became friends. The dorm room I lived in was called Sorority room, which was like, the highest honor among the other rooms'.

Only the best students get the chance to live there during their entire school life. Because the room was just like our own house, a kitchen, a TV, our own room and a dining table.

And I'm grateful for what I had now. It was more than I could've asked for.

"I owe you a lot, Doctor." I said, sincerity in my voice.

She gave me a smile and reached for my hand that was on her desk. I let her take it. "I considered both of you my own daughters, you own me nothing, Hanna. Don't worry about it."

I shook my head and laughed. "I promise you I'll tell her soon, okay? And I'll be the best sister in the entire universe."

Doctor Goodings squeezed my hand with a polite laugh. "Take your time, honey. But make sure she knows as soon as possible, she needs time, too."

I nodded, understanding what she meant.

"Oh, since you're here," She said, eyebrows perked up, as if she suddenly remembered something she was meant to say to me. She withdrew her hand from mine and swirled around to the back, her actions told me she was grabbing something. I raised my eyebrows.

Few seconds later, she turned back to me, her hand was holding my. . bag. My eyes widened, jaw dropped. How the hell did my bag ended up here? Did it ran here? Or teleport? What?

"How-" I was still shocked.

"Someone dropped this to me when you were with you sister," Doctor replied, an easy smile on her face.

"T-thank you," I took my bag from her. "Who was it? I-I mean, who dropped this off? I gotta thank her." And then realized what I just said. "Or him."

This time, she gave me a wry smile. "I'm sorry, honey. But the sender wants to remain anonymous."

________

I was still confused when I stepped out of the hospital after checking upon my sister-she's still asleep. So I'm free for the day.

I wonder who'd drop my bag off for me. I mean, I left in the middle of the class, then the person must've too, because no one other than my friends a.k.a. roomies knew about my sister, let alone knowing that I'd be in a hospital. But the question is: why? Why would that anonymous person helped me when I didn't even know him or her?

My friends weren't in Mr. Fields' class with me, so it's a big no for them. I still couldn't figure out who.

I kicked the rock beneath me, just as I was about to walk back to my dorm, a flyer pasted on the bulletin board right in front of the counter got my attention.

Employees needed! The flyer started. I scanned the flyer thoroughly, making sure I didn't get it wrong. Apparently they needed someone behind the counter, I nodded to myself, it's no problem for me. Must be over eighteen, well, I'm like twenty years old now so. I continued reading it.

After I've finished it, I turned around, stepping outside through the automatically doors. I was still standing within the hospital compound, my sling back around my shoulder. The door behind me opened and closed, sending some cold air towards me.

There were two shops at both sides. On my left was more like a café, whilst my right hand side was Bread Story.

The place that put up the flyer was the café.

I smiled to myself.

A job was all I needed now.

Continue Reading