[02]: avery who?

[02] : Avery who?

______

"Well, I think that's it."

I blinked at the guy in front of me. "That's it?" And when I realized I sounded a bit rude, or maybe he'd get the impression that I was being rude and decided to not hire me, I quickly added: "I-I mean, you don't have to know about my background details for a bit?"

"I want to hire a cashier, Ms. Lancaster. Not a spy." The guy sitting right across of me-who's name tag read Finn, said matter-of-factly. I shrugged as he jot down some notes on his notepad.

I've interviewed for two jobs, one in the mall not far from the hospital, and the other, right here, the hospital's cafeteria, because I wanted to be near my sister, Cora. From the outside look of this café, it was pretty impressive. The workers were polite, they'd smile and greet you before proceeding to take your orders, it was clean and comforting.

But once you stepped inside the office just beside the kitchen, only a wall keeping them apart, you'd probably wonder why did you ended up here. A word to describe Finn's office? Hell.

There were crumpled papers all over the floor, and a couple of sticky notes on the wall behind Finn's table, not to mention there were bugs since there was a trash bin just outside his office. It was so dirty. The smell of his freshener was still lingering in the air.

"I'll give you a call to let you know," Finn told me, finally dropping his pen on his desk, he looked up at me and pushed his glasses up. "You may leave now."

I nodded and quickly, I grabbed my bag and half-ran outside. I was so glad that I got to get out of the place, if I stayed for another minute there, I'd die of the bugs sucking my blood out.

As soon as I stepped outside, a scent of coffee greeted me along with the smell of freshly baked breads. I looked to the counter, the workers were either busy punching in customer's orders or making coffee or baking breads.

Since I'm not in a rush to go back to my dorm yet, the curfew's on ten o'clock, the last time I checked, it was around three in the afternoon. So I decided to grab a cup of coffee, perhaps even a sandwich, and sat myself down on one of the tables to read my book.

And I did.

vI was taking a sip of my cappuccino right after I've finished my sandwich, my eyes never left the book I'm reading-The Perks of Being A Wallflower. I've now reached the part where Charlie felt infinite.

"Who's your favorite character?" A voice asked just beside me, because that was uncalled for, I jumped slightly, almost knocking down my drink.

"I'm sorry! I didn't mean to scare you!" The girl said as she walked to the seat opposite of mine. "Do you mind if I sit?"

I was still confused as to why this girl was talking to me. I didn't know her, I've never talked to anyone in this café-heck, this was my first time being in here. But still, she didn't wait for my permission, pulled the chair out and sat down, opposite me.

I stared at her blankly. Now I realized that she actually looked familiar, her eyes. It was brown, hazelnut brown, and it looked really pretty on her, it actually matched her strawberry blonde hair.

"Do I know you?" I blurted out all of a sudden.

"Ouch," the blonde said, faking a hurt face. "Anyway, no. I'm Avery, I actually work here, currently on lunch break. And I saw you walking out of Fat Cheeks' office-"

"Fat Cheeks?"

Avery sighed. "It's actually Finn. We nicknamed him Fat Cheeks because a) he loves cheese, he orders it every single morning, and b) because he has fat cheeks while he looked like twig with some leaves on it."