This ain't the Place for Good...

By fridaostman

"Then you must be a whore, or very stupid..." He said and looked at my clothes again. I looked at his face wh... More

Mr William Warren
This City doesn't Scare Me
Everyone has a Story
Tired of Gentlemen
Impressions
Dealing with the Cheetham Boys
I'm not a wh*re
Trouble
Lady Mary of Aarhus
Betrayal and Business Proposal
A Message
Love and War
Death
Things Happen at Night

Welcome to Manchester

68 2 0
By fridaostman

The smoke from the factories and the pouring rain made it hard to see the street names and numbers on the brick houses. A thunder roared further away, and a rat ran over the brick road. Lights were on at the local pub at the end of the street and inside was laughter and cheering. I glanced in through the windows and saw the joyful mood. I hid in a doorway not so far away and tried to dry away the water from my face. I peered through the rain and saw the number on the door. 273. Then 279 should be just around here. I shook to try and get rid of the water in my clothes before running further up the street. I found 279 and started knocking on it as I hid from the rain. No answer so I knocked again a bit harder. Now I could hear footstep. I tried to make myself look presentable. A man with white hair and a tweed jacket opened and looked down on me as I tried to smile through the water running down my face.

"Miss Blyth? Come on in, you can't stand out in the rain all night." He said and moved for me to go inside. I took off the hat I had been wearing and shook off the water before walking in beside him.

"I had just got your room ready. It's on the top floor. As it is quite late, I suppose you don't need any dinner, but the kettle is in the kitchen for you. Here is your key and I'll come to collect the rent at the end of each month. Good night miss Blyth." He said and handed me a key before giving me a nod and walking towards a door at the other end of the corridor.

I could see the pub from my window. The street was empty with no sign of life, but the pub was bursting with lights and sounds. I noticed a group of men sitting in what looked like a secluded area looking at a large piece of paper laid out on the table. They seemed to have no interest in the actions and laughter taking place in the other part of the pub. A man pulled out a cigarette and lit it before looking out the window in my direction. Even though I knew he wouldn't see me, I hide behind the curtain.

Was this really a good idea? Maybe I should have stayed in London after all.

Laughter and shouting were heard from the street just outside the window as I woke up. Children ran across the street while chasing each other. I got dressed and made myself some tea before leaving the house.

Macmillan's Tailor shop was just a few streets away and I looked down on the ripped-out part of the magazine where his address was written. I looked up at the green sign over the door and looked around at the empty streets. I saw two small children running towards an alley further away. The sun was up and I carefully pushed the door to the shop open. The bell over the door chimed as I stepped inside.

"Be there in a second." A male voice said, and I slowly took off my hat and fixed my hair to look presentable.

A man dressed in a black suit and grey beard walked up from behind the counter. He looked surprised at me through the small circular spectacles he had resting on his nose. He took the spectacles away and put his hands on the counter to rest his body.

"Can I help you miss?"

I walked up to him and smiled as I put down the piece of the magazine on the counter before him.

"I'm here for the job." I said and looked at the man who looked at the piece of paper and then at me. He scratched his head.

"I'm sorry miss, but it's no longer available." He said and looked at me as if he was waiting for how I would response. I looked around at the shop.

"I doubt that, based on the list of orders hanging behind you, and the dust in the shop windows." I looked at him and he looked surprised of my response.

"I am sorry miss...?"

"Blyth. Clara Blyth." I said and smiled at him.

"I'm sorry miss Blyth, but this is not a place for a woman of your nature." He said and scratched his head again. I smiled at him.

"I understand that Mr Macmillan. But I came here to work and live a normal life. My clothes might give me away for coming from a good family, but I am well educated in tailoring, and I am not afraid of hard work. As I believe it, you are in great need of someone who can assist you in your business and I assure you, I will not disappoint you."

Mr Macmillan looked at me, took a deep breath, and looked around the shop for a moment.

"Alright miss Blyth. I'll let you work here for a week before deciding. But I will warn you, this is not the right place for a nice London woman to be." He shook his head before handing me back the piece of paper.

The shop was mainly a small area for the customers and then several larger rooms containing suits in need of tailoring and sewing machines. The corridor was narrow and dark and lead to a back door to the alley. Mr Macmillan showed me to one of the rooms and then pointed at the door behind him.

"The room over here is my office. I have a busy schedule right now and I will spend most time in there. The desk over there will be yours. I count on you to mend the broken suits and clothing. I will tend to the larger tailoring. The bell chimes every time someone enters the shop and I count on you to be the first one to welcome them. Take a note of their requests and then come to see me before starting anything." He scratched his head once more and then shook his head while viewing me.

"I still think you should reconsider your request to work here. But if you are certain, I believe there is nothing I can do to prevent you." He said before giving me a half smile and turning around to walk into the office.

I turned to my desk and put on the apron that laid folded over the chair. Then I began to look at the pile of jackets and trousers on the shelves along the wall. Every piece of clothing contained a name and a small note on what needed to be done.

I pulled out some threads and needles before taking a seat at the desk to start working. The dirty windows made the sunlight reflect a foggy and dark light into the room. I walked up to the window and carefully brushed away the worst dust with my palm. The light curtains had small holes in them, and the hems were dirty. I took my place at the desk and began mending the shirt closest to me.

"I expect you to come in at 8 and end at 5 every day. Your payment will have to wait till next week and you will be closing the shop on Thursdays, because I have other obligations then." I followed Mr Macmillan as he closed the shop. He turned the key and made sure the door was locked before facing me.

"I understand those dresses are the latest fashion in London or the good parts of Manchester, but you are in Cheetham now so I would suggest you wear something more common. As I've mentioned before, Cheetham isn't the place for Londoners."

"I understand your concern Mr Macmillan, but these are my only clothes and I am sure I can handle myself quite well."

Mr Macmillan looked at me as if I had no idea what I was talking about before putting on his cap and walking away across the street.

I walked the streets back to my house and watched how people looked at me from their windows and behind their cigarette smoke. I held my purse close to my body and walked confidently up to my door. The cheers from the pub had already started and people were coming in and out through the doors. I caught a glance at the group of men I had noticed yesterday and saw them lighting their cigarettes as they glanced around them before talking in quiet voices.

I met the other tenant at the house as I entered the kitchen. It was an older woman, around 40 I would guess. But her dark hair hid the wrinkles. She smiled as she saw me. I poured some water into the kettle and placed it on the stove before checking to see if the fire needed some more logs.

"I heard a London lady had moved in, but I had to see it for myself." She said and leaned backwards in the rocking chair at the corner.

"I'm miss Blyth." I said and smiled towards her as I took a seat at the table by the window.

"I can't help but wonder what a nice-looking lady from London would be doing in these parts of the country. Are you hiding from something miss Blyth?" She said and slowly rocked the chair back and forth.

I smiled at here and looked down on the table.

"I'm a widow Mrs...?" I said and looked towards her.

"Thompson." She said and grinned.

"My husband died two months ago, and I had nothing keeping me in London." I said and looked into her eyes with a confident look. Something told me this woman was not to be trusted with that easily. She smiled at my response.

"I see you're not a faint-hearted woman miss Blyth. That will take you fair. I'm a gypsy you see. I read people, and you have quite the story." She said and I smiled at her as response before hearing the water boiling in the kettle.

Mrs Thompson got up from her seat and walked towards the corridor.

"I guess I'll be seeing you around, miss Blyth. Welcome to Manchester." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

244 12 10
Welcome to Birmingham! It's my honor to represent it... Birmingham 1920- 1939... the Great War was just came to an end... a new one is about to begin...
183K 3.5K 17
The Salt and Shelby kids all grew up together on the mean streets of Small Heath, raising hell since 1897. Their fathers founded the infamous Peaky...
77.6K 1.4K 20
(Y/N) ends up in Small Heath, Birmingham after she manages to escape her family. She didn't expect that running away from one gang would send her int...
20.8K 827 27
โœงเผ„ Charlotte knew that right now, she was dancing in the very pits of hell with the devil himself. She knew the Shelby's weren't to be messed with, m...