Caleb

By MelyssaWhyte

Caleb Tanner is a unique combination of both killer and savior all wrapped into one. As a former Navy Seal an... More

Before You Read
Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Seven
Chapter Forty Eight
Chapter Forty Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty One
Chapter Fifty Two
Chapter Fifty Three
Chapter Fifty Four
Chapter Fifty Five
Chapter Fifty Six
Epilogue

Chapter Seventeen

49.9K 1.8K 192
By MelyssaWhyte

Caleb ~

A few hours after breakfast the light had returned to Lainey's eyes and she had a little more pep in her step after three electrolyte drinks and some medication.

Caleb was on cloud nine and he couldn't hide the smile that seemed to be permanently smeared across his face. He knew that Lainey had been drunk and had no recollection of anything she had said to him the night before, but Caleb's mother had always told him that drunk words were sober thoughts and he was holding tight to that with everything he had at the moment.

James and Pierce had already left for the afternoon and wouldn't be home for hours and Caleb watched as Declan and Marcus disappeared through the front door along with Ricardo and Camila, leaving him completely alone with Lainey.

Once the door closed, the house became thick with silence and Lainey kept her eyes glued to the TV that was on, but muted. Both Lainey and Caleb sat stock still, staring forward at the TV, but Caleb couldn't help but cut his eyes in her direction as he lightly brushed his hand against hers. He watched her breathing pick up at the sensation of his skin against her hand, but she pretended not to notice and hadn't looked at him yet. Caleb loved watching her subtle reactions to his light touches and kept his eyes fixated on her from the side. She chewed her lip anxiously before words blurted out of her mouth with so much force it made Caleb jump.

"Want to go for a walk? The sun finally came out today," she asked loudly.

"Sure Darlin,'" he answered with a chuckle that came deep from within his chest.

As soon as they were outside, Lainey seemed to relax a little as if she hadn't trusted herself alone in the house with him.

They walked along the outer edges of the grounds for an hour, taking advantage of the sun that had finally come out from behind the clouds and simply enjoying each other's company. He and Lainey learned more and more about one another with every step they took, exchanging funny stories and answering each other's questions along the way.

Caleb laughed to himself at the rate and speed of Lainey's small steps. She was a short little thing, but she kept the pace of a race horse during their walk that was intended to be leisurely.

"Didn't know we were racin'" he laughed as he lengthened his stride.

"Oh I'd never race you." she said with a smile. "I wouldn't want to embarrass you like that." she added, giving him a sly grin.

"You embarrass me in a race?" He heard her words, but needed confirmation of her absurdly adorable claim.

Caleb scoffed at her, lengthening his stride a little more as he pulled ahead of her.

"I'm pretty fast," she said confidently.

"I have no doubt Darlin', you're just not faster than me." He shot her a wink and watched as her eyes flashed with determination.

"Put your money where your mouth is then Doc...First one to the other end of the pool house wins." she said with a smirk.

"And if I win?" he asked, folding his arms across his chest.

"You get a prize."

Oh hell yes.

"And if I win?" she asked, mimicking his posture.

"You won't." His mouth lifted into a half smile as he watched her mouth gape open at his arrogant statement before snapping it shut and turning her little body toward the pool deck.

He and Lainey stood still as he counted them down, giving each other playful glares before they took off for the finish line.

"Ready...set...go!" he yelled, taking off running, but pulling up a little so he didn't embarrass her too badly.

He ran half speed and looked over just as she darted past him in a dead sprint.

Holy hell she's fast.

Willing his legs to pick up the pace, he caught up with her easily and was right behind her as she approached the pool deck. He loved the playful, teasing looks she was throwing back at him, but she had forgotten to watch where she was going and nearly ran straight into the pool. She put on the brakes, stopping her forward momentum just in time, laughing at herself in the process.

Caleb had her cornered between himself and the edge of the pool and arched an eyebrow as she started to do a cute little victory dance.

"What's my prize?" she said breathlessly.

"No ma'am, you said to the end of the pool house and uh... the end of the pool house is over there." he said with a grin, pointing to the other side of the pool.

She took a step to her right and he countered her, blocking her path. Giving him a devilish smile, she changed direction and took a step to her left, but still couldn't evade him.

"Give up sweetheart, there's no way you're gettin around me." His playful smile was reciprocated by Lainey as she glanced over her shoulder briefly at the pool.

Don't you do it.

"There are other ways to get to the other side of the pool" she teased, toeing off her shoes as she took slow steps toward the water.

"Don't even think about it Lainey." he chuckled, watching her inch her way backwards toward the pool.

All he got was a playful grin in return as she let her heels touch the tiles that lined the edge of the pool.

"I'm not goin in after you," he lied.

"New bet." she said with a sly smile. "First one to swim to the other side of the pool wins."

So damn competitive. She knew she was beat so she's trying to change the rules. Too bad she doesn't realize that I'm even faster in the water.

Folding his arms across his chest, he eyed the water, knowing how cold it was going to be if she actually followed through and jumped in. The weather hadn't been out of the mid sixties in days without a hint of sunlight to warm the water behind her bare feet.

"What's wrong, scared of a little water?"

She was taunting and teasing him and he was eating up every second of it.

"I was a Navy Seal sweetheart, I'm not scared of water." he scoffed.

"Prove it." she challenged before jumping into the cold pool.

Caleb watched her go under and pop right back up, clutching her arms close to her body as the cold water wrapped around her. Her t-shirt clung to her delicious curves and he tried not to stare, but couldn't pull his eyes away.

"Cold?"

"No." she said, wrapping her arms tighter around her body for warmth.

"Liar." he chuckled.

"Then why don't you get your big tough Navy Seal ass in here to warm me up." she said, turning her gaze up to him and giving him a look that he'd been searching for since he met her - desire.

"Yes ma'am" he said, trying to get his shoes off as fast as humanly possible without seeming frantic and pulling his shirt up over his head by the collar.

Caleb jumped in the pool, dunking his head under the water completely before re-surfacing and letting his body adjust to the cold temperature.

Lainey gave him a wide smile, but propelled herself backwards, evading him as he advanced toward her.

"Oh you gonna make me chase you?" he said, gliding his body effortlessly through the water, and reaching her in seconds.

He snagged her around the middle and pulled her toward him, feeling her wrap her toned legs around his torso to keep herself above the water, which he didn't mind in the least.

Lainey let out a breathless laugh as she gave into him, letting him walk them backwards toward the wall of the pool with her body cocooned around his. Lainey's eyes were glued to his with an intense gaze and he could feel the rapid rise and fall of her chest against his own as she breathed heavily in his arms.

The tile of the pool's edge pressed against Caleb's back letting him know he'd reached the end. Looking over his shoulder then back at Lainey, he gave her a big confident smile as he announced his victory.

"First one to the end of the pool wins right?" he said, turning over his shoulder again so she'd see notice.

"Mmhhmm." she hummed, wrapping her arms around his neck.

"So what's my prize?" he asked.

Her chest was pumping faster at his words and he felt her legs tighten around his abdomen slightly.

"What do you want?" she asked breathlessly with her eyes fixated on his.

"You know what I want Lainey." he answered with his voice barely over a whisper.

Caleb traced the outline of her bottom lip with his thumb, watching her reaction with deep intensity. Taking in a sharp intake of air, Lainey dropped her eyes down to Caleb's mouth as he lightly dragged his thumb across her lip and she closed her eyes briefly, allowing herself to fully appreciate the sensual skin to skin contact.

He tightened his hold around her waist with one hand and wrapped the other around her neck, using his thumb as leverage beneath her jaw as he tilted her head up toward him. Submitting to the motion immediately, she allowed him to manipulate her with his strong hands until he had the perfect angle to take those delicious lips.

The entire world seemed to come to a complete stop as Caleb slowly lowered his mouth toward hers, stopping just shy of her lips. Her breath feathered and fanned across his bottom lip as he waited for her to come the rest of the way and make the connection. He wasn't trying to take anything that she wasn't willing to give and as much as Caleb wanted to devour those perfect lips, he wanted to give her the power to take what she wanted from him instead of the other way around. People always take from Lainey, but all he wanted to do was give. He'd give her anything she wanted - all she had to do was ask.

Only a few millimeters separated their lips as he waited for her to close the space on her own.

Come on Lainey girl, meet me halfway so I can take that sweet mouth.

And like an answered prayer, Lainey's soft lips pressed into his, giving him the permission he'd been begging for. Tightening his hold on her neck, he dropped his mouth onto hers, hearing her let out a small hum of pleasure at the sensation. His kisses were long and passionate as he slowly devoured her, taking his time to appreciate every inch of her perfect lips with his own. Her soft velvet tongue made gentle contact with his bottom lip, sending a trail of goosebumps down his spine that made all of his muscles contract with pleasure.

Holy shit Lainey.

Bringing his tongue to meet hers, he felt her open for him immediately, allowing him to plunge his tongue into her sweet mouth and explore. Lainey moaned softly into his mouth as his tongue clashed deeply with hers and she pulled down on the back of his neck, trying to deepen their kiss and take as much as he was willing to give her. He massaged her tongue with his and loved every soft hum and moan that sounded from her precious mouth.

Kissing Lainey was unlike anything Caleb had ever experienced. It was the best feeling he'd ever felt and he was hooked, addicted, completely obsessed. He had never known how badly he had needed Lainey's lips against his, until he felt the electricity that jolted his heart once he finally took them. A part of him thought he would regret kissing her, but the only thing Caleb regretted in that moment was not kissing her sooner.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

875K 25.3K 45
Liam Knight, a 28-year-old assigned as a personal bodyguard for his boss's sister. Phoebe Black, a 27-year-old who's only ever known how to be indep...
3.9M 120K 34
Mia has lived a life of abuse from her father and ex. She runs away, leaving her old life behind and creating a new one. What happens when she meets...
12.2K 929 20
Tanner (Babe) is ex-military and now works as a freelance security guard and he's been hired by his old superior officer at KJ Security to fill in wh...
2.2M 95K 62
Marcus Cordell is the largest, most intimidating member of Bravo Team at Knight Security. With a massive muscular build and a permanent scowl, Marcus...