CASTAWAY ⚓ R.C, J.M

By imaginesinwonderland

OBX {based off the tv series Outer Banks~ season 1. This story does begin before the events of the first sea... More

Cast + Synopsis
~ Banners ~
⚓ P A R T O N E ⚓
O N E
T W O
T H R E E
F O U R
F I V E
S I X
S E V E N
E I G H T
N I N E
T E N
E L E V E N
T W E L V E
T H I R T E E N
F I F T E E N
S I X T E E N
S E V E N T E E N
E I G H T E E N
N I N E T E E N
T W E N T Y
T W E N T Y O N E
T W E N T Y T W O
T W E N T Y T H R E E
T W E N T Y F O U R
T W E N T Y F I V E
🌊P A R T T W O🌊
THE PRELUDE
ONE
TWO
THREE
FOUR
FIVE
SIX
S E V E N
E I G H T
NINE
T E N
E L E V E N🩸
T W E L V E
T H I R T E E N
F O U R T E E N
F I F T E E N
S I X T E E N
S E V E N T E E N
E I G H T E E N
N I N E T E E N
T W E N T Y
T W E N T Y O N E
T W E N T Y T W O
T W E N T Y T H R E E
T W E N T Y F O U R
T W E N T Y F I V E
S1 F I N A L E
P A R T T H R E E
O N E
T W O
T H R E E

F O U R T E E N

2.2K 46 20
By imaginesinwonderland

┏━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┓

D A R K   D E E P   D E P T H S

┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

The sweltering sun had been beating down on the island all day. It rose with a vengeance this morning, heating the air whilst the pogues accompanied Mr Routledge and Harley to the hospital to have her stitches removed and head wounds checked. All had been fine.

Mr Routledge had to go off to do some work. Pope also had to go help his dad at work, leaving JJ, John B, Kiara and Harley. John B mentioned going into the marsh in the afternoon, so they had all agreed to meet up for that. Somehow the group had split up. Kiara had gone off with John B, and nobody questioned Harley going off with JJ. The two had planned to hang out so that JJ could show Harley his bike, so it seemed like the perfect time.

"Do you not think it's strange?" JJ asked aloud eyes up in the clouds as they strolled side by side.

Harley's eyes followed his with a slight frown. She couldn't see whatever he had spotted. The clouds looked just like clouds: soft and fluffy. The sky was it's usual perfect blue with the golden glare of the sun.

"What is? I don't see anything?"

JJ's eyebrows crinkled as he spared a glance to the bubbly brunette beside him. Once he noticed she had been staring intently up at the sky because he had been watching a flock of birds, his amused chuckle filled the air around them.

"No, I meant. Don't you think it's strange how your medical bills are always paid for? It's like you've got some kind of guardian angel out there... a very rich one might I add."

"Oh." Harley's eyes drew away from the sky and to JJ. He had warm eyes. "I thought that was normal the first time round, until John B questioned me about it."

The more Harley now thought about it, the more peculiar it became. Who would want to spend their money and pay for her medical bills? Nobody had known of her existence at first. Word travels fast on a small island, but could it really travel that fast? And whoever it was, why would they not just say? Why be anonymous?

"Maybe somebody from my life before is doing it. Maybe my family." Harley pondered with a new sense of hope.

"Your very rich, New York crime family. It makes sense."

"I don't understand why you think I'm from New York."

"It's all in the accent, Harley."

"But I don't have one. The others even said I don't sound like that."

JJ hummed his disagreement and flipped off his hat to comb his hair back. "Forget the others. I'm well versed in the art of accents, so I can hear things they can't. Trust me."

Harley simply laughed at JJ unsure whether to take him seriously or not. He always said the strangest or most abstract things.

"Maybe somebody on the northside is trying to do something charitable to look good you know. Rich folk always want to make themselves look good by helping people with less fortune. Maybe it's Ward Cameron..."

"Ward Cameron. Is he Rafe's dad?"

"Yep. He's the richest Kook on the island. And he's always busting his ass to help people from the Cut. The dude acts like he's a God."

"Oh." Harley wondered if that was why Rafe and his dad didn't get along that well, because he 'acts like he's a God'. She supposed it would make sense if he didn't like his dad because he was controlling. "Why would he help me. And why wouldn't he come forward if he wants people to see how philanthropic he is."

"That's a big word," JJ joked.

Harley shoved him slightly and glared feigning irritation. "I'm not an idiot, plus Pope has been tutoring me."

JJ swung his arm carelessly over Harley's shoulders and pulled her in close. Harley didn't mind as they kept walking, her eyes diverted to his hand on her shoulder. He had silver rings adorning his fingers. Harley pursed her lips as she wondered whether it was weird to think JJ had attractive hands or not. Surely not. He had a handsome face and she had noticed he had a nice body whenever he decided to go around shirtless, which was very often so it had to be appreciated when he did.

"I know you're not an idiot, but I am-"

"You can say that again."

JJ squinted down at Harley, a smile obscured by a smirk, and let his fingertips brush over the pulse of her neck. In response, her breath hitched slightly and her eyes flashed wide for a split second. He enjoyed teasing and messing with Harley as their friendship grew and they always joked and played around. It wasn't in his nature to shy away from anything, so he flirted openly with Harley and made it known that he thought that she was pretty. It was clear that Harley never took him seriously though.

"But I am, so how about you invite me to these tutoring sessions. Better yet, maybe you can tutor me one-on-one."

"Pope is a good teacher. You guys are close, so I'm sure if you ask nicely he'll set aside some time for you." Harley patted his chest before slipping out from under JJ's arm and skipping ahead to face the boy. "Speed it up shorty, I want to see your bike."

"Oh my God! Did you just catcall me?" JJ faked an appalled girl voice.

"Yes. Move your fat ass."

"We're pretty much there." JJ quickened his pace slightly and lead Harley down the path to his house. Similarly to the Routledge shack, his home stood near the water, a garden size of land between them.

Harley spotted the red and blue dirt bike almost immediately and ran over to it. Her fingertips brushed over the leather of the seat, and the cool metal and hard plastic parts of the bike. She hadn't been sure what to expect, but JJ definitely owned a cool bike.

"This is so cool. How long have you had it?"

JJ shrugged. "A few months. I got my dad to let me take it from the scrap yard where he works and I've been fixing it up."

"You're dad seems cool," Harley commented too busy admiring the motorcycle to see the grimace play along JJ's face. The distaste was clear yet unnoticed by the brunette.

"He's not," JJ responded simply.

Harley passed it off as teens just finding their parents annoying and embarrassing. A pang struck in her chest knowing that she didn't have parents to be embarrassed about. Or parents that wanted her around enough so that she had the chance to maybe find them annoying. Honestly, she knew she'd love them and be happy they were there, because she was just that kind of person.

"Hey, what's wrong?" JJ could see the shift in her demeanour. All of her emotions were obvious to everybody considering she wore her heart on her sleeve.

"Oh nothing. Just thinking about how sad it would be if you didn't let me help fix up your bike."

JJ laughed loudly making the girl pout in annoyance.

"Please," she begged.

"Do you know anything about fixing bikes?"

Harley hesitated trying to scour her mind. "Maybe?"

"That's not reassuring at all." JJ watched her face fall and felt himself melting under her puppy dog eyes. "Buuut, how about you be my assistant."

Harley's smile returned as she fixed her slouched posture and gazed at JJ expectantly. "What will I do?"

"For your first job, how about you come to a garage with me real quick? They've gotten a couple of things for me."

Harley shrugged and nodded."I can do that. How far is the garage?"

"About ten minutes."

"What are you waiting for? Let's go JJ."

Harley took off leaving JJ no other choice but to chase after her. He had to give her credit for her speed, her legs moved fast. She laughed over her shoulder as JJ gained on, what made it funny was his shouts of protest. As he drew close up the dirt path, Harley stopped so that he passed her a little. She skipped after him and threw herself onto his back letting her arms wrap over his shoulders and around his neck. He grunted in surprise hands flying to squeeze her thighs to his hips. Harley laughed into his neck as he huffed out a light chuckle.

"You're lucky I'm five foot eleven inches of pure sculpted muscle."

"Don't flatter yourself. You're lucky I'm five-foot, six inches of dandelions and air." Harley mumbled against the skin of his neck. "I would say I'm as light as a cloud, but Pope told me they're actually very heavy."

"Oh really?" If Pope had said this to him he sure as hell wouldn't care. However, he found himself suddenly interested in the weight of clouds just hearing how melodious Harley sounded speaking about it. It was very hot hearing her talk about smart shit. "How heavy are they?"

She hummed in thought. "I'm sure he said around one million kilograms. No. He definitely said pounds. Around one million pounds."

"Oh that's only like two of you." JJ teased.

"Hey! You can't talk. They weigh the same as one of you."

"Touché Routledge."

The pair continued giggling along the way to the garage. The path JJ led Harley down opened up to rocky scenery before the parts shop came into view. Harley wondered how she hadn't noticed the blue garage joined to the shop, maybe because it was shut or she had seen and forgotten. A beat-up, red chevrolet sat parked on the right hand side. On the left a few vehicles lined a metal fence that surrounded the land. The garage had an open front, so you could see a body laid out beneath a silver Honda working on whatever needed fixing.

Franklin & Bros

Harley read over the sign whilst JJ eased her down and tugged her forward by the hand. She followed along, but kept her eyes on the beautiful chevy. She so wanted it to be hers. There was something about cars and vehicles in general that always stole Harley's complete attention, as if her eyes were magnetised to the sleek metal contours. Her fingers tingling at the idea of taking a peak under the hood and tinkering around.

"Hey Frank!" JJ called curling his hands around his mouth like a megaphone. Harley snickered when no response came. "Hey, yo Frank! I'm here to get the parts for my bike."

The shop front had the closed sign up which meant only the garage was open. The body beneath the Honda fluidly slid out and up stood a blonde woman. Her blonde curls were messily thrown up in a bun, dried oil smeared on her hands and dark blue overalls. She smiled at the pair with friendly grey eyes. She was easily in her early to mid twenties, Harley thought. Yet that didn't stop JJ from eyeing the woman with his usual hormone driven interest.

"Hey. Have you seen Frank?" JJ began still eyes roaming around looking for the tall, amicable man. "He told me to visit and check my parcel."

"Right. Well," the woman scratched at her nose then got comfortable in her stance softly jutting her hip out against the car. "Frank is actually gone."

"Gone. As in gone for the day?"

She shook her head. "He's gone gone."

"Like for good? Permanently?" Harley interjected with raised brows.

"Sorry who are you exactly? I've never seen you here before."

It was true. JJ knew everybody who worked at the garage and shop. Frank and his brother plus a few other guys here and there. He'd never even seen this woman anywhere in the Outer banks. It was a small place, you couldn't forget a face, because you'd see it again and again.

"My name's Billie. I own the place now."

JJ's jaw dropped whilst he shook his head in denial meanwhile Harley remained quietly surprised. JJ had a bond with Frank, he loved that guy and now he wasn't working at his second favourite place on the island.

"Since when?"

Billie glanced down at her empty wrist before looking back up. "Since exactly sixteen hours ago."

"Frank wouldn't just give up his business and go."

"Sorry kid," Billie shrugged. "Money really is magic round here."

Neither Harley or JJ knew what to say. What could they say? Nothing would make this blonde disappear and bring back the sweet man JJ held dearly. His departure was like a slap in the face to the young boy and that stirred an anger which masked his upset feelings. Maybe he'd go off and steal something then feel better. He stared over to Harley and her bright eyes as she pulled out her chiming phone. Maybe he would steal her heart then feel better. Sounded like a plan to him. A smirk grew on his face.

"Money is gold round here," JJ agreed with a nod. "Can I get my parcel though, please."

"Sure."

"Surname?"

"Maybank."

"I'll be right back."

JJ turned to Harley who had giggled. She typed away at her phone before pocketing the device and catching JJ's eyes.

"You've been doing that a lot lately," JJ mused.

"What?"

"Smiling at your phone with big, shiny eyes."

Harley's lips parted whilst her eyes sparkled. She didn't know what to say since it had been Rafe occupying her time and keeping her glued to her device. If they weren't texting then they were calling or facetiming. It was incredible how Harley had kept hidden that she was something more than friends with the Pogue's enemy, but it was also disheartening for her because she didn't like to lie. The feeling of lying was sickening to her and weighed on her heart.

Her lips closed to a frown as her eyes flickered across JJ's inquisitive expression. "Sorry."

JJ shrugged. He had wondered what or who had been stealing her attention but it was nothing to apologise for. "Don't be sorry. Just do me a favour and look at me like that sometimes."

Harley pushed her hair back and walked over to look under the hood of the Honda. Her eyes travelled over the engine and along a couple pipes. "What? Only sometimes?" Harley laughed. She glimpsed JJ's eyes firmly on her and shook her head in amusement. Her feet carried her to the mobile cart of equipment. Her eyes ran along each item before picking up a spanner and nuts and bolts.

"All of the time," JJ corrected. "Then I'll know you think I'm hot like I think about you."

"You are handsome."

Harley tinkered around beneath the hood immediately making JJ step up behind her and place his hands on her waist, ready to pull her back.

"What are you doing?"

Harley shrugged continuing to unscrew, exchange and screw things back into place without much thought. Against JJ's somewhat better judgement he didn't pull Harley back, instead he leant under the hood too and watched what she was doing.

Harley felt JJ's eyes watching her intently. She bit down on her lip to stop her smile and rose an eyebrow in his direction. "Staring is rude."

"My bad."

JJ's eyes didn't shift though. He was to enthralled in how attractive it was to see Harley fixing a car. Seeing her bent over in her shorts and oversize jacket had his blood rushing south; knowing that she knew about mechanics had his blood rushing north and swirling bright red hearts to dance around his brain. Harley was fast becoming his perfect girl.

"Hey! What are you two doing?" Billie's voice had both teens jumping back from the Honda in fright.

JJ had stepped back his hand immediately finding Harley. She had jumped five feet in the air like a startled cat bumping into JJ's chest. There was no hiding the wrench in Harley's hand and the parts she had switched out beneath the hood.

"I um. I was just fixing... I'm sorry." Harley snapped her mouth shut once she realised she had no idea what to say.

Billie didn't look angry as she stood in front of them, JJ's package under her right arm. Harley squirmed under her gaze feeling as though she were about to get reprimanded by an older sibling. Billie tore her eyes away from the two as she slightly leant over the the engine of the Honda to inspect what Harley had done without permission. Nothing looked damaged or broken. In fact, Harley had carried out what Billie planned to do in the coming hour after she finished up beneath the car. She looked back to Harley with squinted eyes analysing the girl.

"Do you know a lot about cars?" Billie asked.

Harley lightly shrugged.

"Have you worked on cars before?"

Memory loss was a bitch, so Harley had no answer. She looked at JJ for guidance. Since the moment she washed up on the island most of her sentences were filled with I don't knows and I don't remembers and that brought along hidden frustrations and headaches for Harley.

JJ moved his hand to her shoulder and gave it a small squeeze. "Harley recently had an accident and got amnesia from it so..."

"Oh." Like any other person Billie looked shocked to hear about Harley's amnesia. She also appeared a little alarmed and tense from the revelation. "Sorry to hear that," she nodded.

"Yeah. We're gonna head out now."

Billie spun the parcel in her hands before throwing it to JJ who caught it with ease.

"Thanks."

Harley let JJ slip his hand into hers and intertwine their fingers, tightening her hold. They headed for the large opening.

"Harley!"

Said girl dug her heels into the gravel and spun to look over her shoulder. Billie stood in the opening a hand protecting her eyes from the sun.

"How would you feel about a summer job here at the garage?"

Her mouth dropped. "Really? You want me to work with you?"

"Yeah. Come by anytime next week."

"Okay." Harley nodded with excitement. Both her eyes and smile were brighter than the sun, JJ and Billie thought she'd explode with joy. "See you next week!"

Immediately, Harley yanked JJ away swinging their joined hands back and forth whilst she bounded along.

"I just got a job," she chanted and giggled pulling JJ any and every which way. She was too elated to care that she would yank his arm from its socket if she continued so erratically in her wave of giddy glee. Harley had been handed an opportunity to learn about her interest in cars and test what her body remembered.

"Yes you did. Wooo!" JJ hollered sweeping Harley off her feet and spinning her around. They screamed at the sun in a chaotic ball of energetic happiness. Their laughter carried in the summer breeze in a harmonious symphony that would have people eyeing the two like they were lunatics.

Harley was glad that JJ shared in her happiness and matched her energy. It was an amazing feeling. She watched as JJ hollered carelessly and admired the easy going smile that made his blue eyes shimmer the way she imagined a tranquil river on the moon to incandesce. Silver showers of stars falling into the blue sparkling expanse like a million diamonds. JJ was kind of beautiful when he wasn't trying at all. Harley would never tell him she thought that.

"Staring is rude," JJ parroted Harley's earlier statement, even trying to mimic her voice miserable with conviction.

"Sounds like a wise person once told you that."

"You may be right." JJ pulled out his phone momentarily reading over a message.

John B had texted to see where the two were at and if they were ready to meet up. Since they weren't too far from JJ's they chose to meet him at the dock there. In ten minutes Harley was on a boat with John B, JJ, Kiara and Pope on there way to hang out in the marsh. Harley hadn't forgotten Kiara's advice about always having a swim suit or bikini handy which got everybody hyped up because she'd had her stitches removed so she could swim with the Pogues.

Kiara had brought a bag of snacks and everybody's favourite drinks, including a milkshake for Harley. Kiara had received a big hug in gratitude.

The sun was no longer at its highest, but it was definitely at its warmest. Harley had long discarded her jacket at the top of the boat and sat beside Kiara. Kie enjoyed having another girl around to keep the boys in check or at least try to since Harley was very much a free spirit in her eyes. The girls swayed along to the music Kiara set to play out on her phone.

"So, what does the life of Kiara look like?" Harley looked at the girl.

"Green. And yellow for mellow vibes. The planet prospering is a huge part. Without it, the life of Kiara does not exist."

"Like recycling? And lowering energy waste?"

"Yes! Lower carbon footprints. Less polluting the world of animals. Penguins get stuck in plastic beer can holders and turtles choke on straws. We've got to change how we live so that we can all live great lives."

"Preach Gandhi." JJ held up a peace sign from where he lay. "Open your third eye and omn at the starfish for they are sacred."

"Shut up!" Kie threw her water bottle at the blonde making him groan before taking a swig.

"Gandhi is a social activist not an environmentalist. Where are you when we learn this stuff dude?" Pope threw JJ a quizzical look from beneath his hat.

"Same difference... I'm usually riding waves," JJ jumped up as if he were on a surfboard and began to mime riding waves. "I've got you to teach me stuff."

JJ wasn't wrong. Pope was like the internet personified, his brain the size of a blue whale. He had everything going for him to fulfil his academic dreams, though what he made up for in smarts he lacked in spontaneity.

"We're here," John B announced getting everybody's attention. He slowed the boat to a smooth stop. Like clockwork, JJ got up and dropped the anchor and everybody started to strip out of their clothes leaving their swimsuits, all except Harley.

Apprehensively gazing over the edge of the boat into the water, she thought about the last time she had been in it. She washed up unconscious in John B's back yard, lungs filled with water and bloody gashes across her torso. The unknown had happened to her in one of the greatest unknowns of the world. Oceans were still a mystery like what had happened to her.

"Are you going to jump in with us?" John B sat down beside Harley.

She tore her eyes from the water and looked at John B. A splash resonated behind them followed by another two.

"I don't know."

John B watched as her eyes swirled thoughtfully. "What's on your mind?"

Harley breathed out a sigh. The bond she had growing with John B put her at ease. They had spent a good amount of time with each other in either one's room or the living room. Sometimes they'd stay up in his room or in the hammock outside and talk about random things, it usually ended up with Harley falling asleep or unintentionally take a nap. John B had even started teaching Harley how to play the ukulele which is how they found out Harley had a very angelic singing voice. It became easier and easier as time went on to liken John B to a brotherly figure which subsequently brought guilt upon her shoulder when she thought of her blood family that seemingly didn't want her.

"You know," John B began hoping he had read the situation correctly. "We're all here with you. You can hang on to me and I won't let go of you. You'll have nothing to fear and nothing is going to harm you in any way. We're not in open water and we're right by the boat."

After a moment, Harley nodded and pushed a smile onto her face. "Okay. I trust you." She grabbed John B's hand and gave it a squeeze to reassure herself, before jumping up and slipping off her top and shorts.

Harley had on a black bikini set. Her scars were rough beneath her fingertips, the skin a pale contrast to her tanned skin. The doctor had said that the skin should smooth out over time and of course get somewhat close to her warm complexion. She shuffled after John B who jumped into the water and surfaced by by the edge where Harley stood.

"Looking good, Sunshine!" JJ called out. He was met with a splash of water from Kiara and Pope.

Harley held a hand up to cover the sun so that she could see JJ being pushed under the water by Kiara who got pulled under by Pope. She laughed at their antics before focusing back on John B.

"If you sit on the edge, swing your legs over, then I'll help ease you into the water."

Harley did as told, her hands gripping onto the side of the boat tightly whilst she got seated.

"Okay now lean forward and try and get your hands to my shoulders. I'll catch you."

Harley fidgeted, then uneasily moved her body forward. She held her breath as she reached out for John B chanting in her mind that he would catch her over and over. At the last second she screwed her eyes shut as water engulfed her body up to her waist. Sturdy hands had wrapped around Harley drawing her in, meanwhile her grip around John B's neck tightened and she let out a relieved breath.

"See. I've got you." John B chuckled as he felt Harley nod. "Now you've got to kick your legs back and forth a little to tread water."

Slowly, Harley let herself back away a tiny bit from John B, making sure her hold was firmly on his arms and his on her waist, so that she could tread water. Harley felt better when Kiara swam over and offered to hold one of Harley's arms. To her own surprise Harley got the hang of treading water instantly.

"You're a natural," Kiara beamed happily.

"Wanna try swimming?"

Feeling more confident, Harley agreed. If she could do this then she could say she was trying to tackle her fears head on. Plus she had John B and Kiara to hold onto.

Harley was getting the hang of gliding through the warm water with John B at her side. Yes at some points she did look like a puppy wadding through the water when she got tired, but she could get from one point to another fairly well. The entire group had been encouraging the whole time, a light teasing comment from JJ occasionally. Harley didn't mind, she gave as good as she got and splashed at JJ every now and then.

Harley had thought everything was great until she agreed to sink beneath the water. She assumed because she had gotten into the water without any upsets that going underwater wouldn't spark anything. She had been wrong.

On the count of three she sucked in a large breath and bobbed beneath the surface. A hazed filter slipped over Harley's eyes as she submerged herself. John B threw a thumbs up her way, which she nodded back at with a smile. She twirled on the spot taking in the blueness around her.

Then, flickers of nightmares swarmed Harley's vision. Rain spitting at her. A bright light glaring into the dark. Tumbling and a shrill scream swallowed and drowned by ice sharp waters. The petrifying darkness overwhelming her senses and sending her heart rate rocketing. In a sudden state of panic, Harley began thrashing around as she lost her breath beneath the water.

Nothing made sense. It was all a non-chronological amalgamation of whatever her brain could remember and conjure up to form nonsensical pictures and a mess of emotions. Fear gripped at her tightly and dragged her further down as she relived the feelings she had felt the day she went missing.

A flurry of hands reached out for her and hauled her up to break the surface.

Light blinded Harley as she spluttered up water gasping for breath and cried in panic. Her body jerked and thrashed as if she were almost truly drowning again, her reality eroded by her trauma.

John B held her tightly, her back to his chest, as JJ tried to stop her arms from flailing.

"Harley. You're okay. I've got you. We're here," John B tried to reassure her.

Harley's frantic movements eased up. She continued to cough up dribbles of water, tears still leaking from her eyes.

"Dude, get her to the boat." Pope offered some guidance.

"She needs to get out of the water," Kiara added.

John B swam backwards towards the boat. JJ was faster to the small vessel and hauled himself up. He faced his friend and held out his hands to help lift Harley up. John B did his best to hoist the girl up. She could process enough to swing her hand up to JJ.

Once JJ had her lifted up and sat down on the small bench, he grabbed for a towel and draped it over her shoulders. He sat down beside her and pulled her into his side, his hand rubbed her arm up and down.

As much as Kiara and Pope wanted to make sure she was alright, they knew it would be best to give her space. If it had been anything serious or life threatening John B would have said. John B had gotten up swiftly and placed himself in front of Harley watching her cry her eyes out.

"I'm so sorry," she gasped between cries. Her hands covered her eyes trying to swipe at the tears.

"You didn't do anything Harley." John B reassured a little confused. He knew apologising had been one of Harley's habits, but there was no way she should feel sorry for almost drowning.

"I just. I saw these images and I couldn't move. And I panicked. And I keep worrying you guys. I'm sorry. You were having fun." She kept rambling with a dazed look in her eyes.

"Harley it's okay," John B tried again. "It's just the PTSD. It isn't your fault. It's normal."

"I don't want it to be normal."

The boys shared a concerned look for the mini Routledge. Seeing that she needed time to calm down JJ motioned for John B to give them a moment. John B immediately shook his head with widened eyes and jerked his head to the side to tell JJ to go. The two kept at it for a moment until John B conceded to his stubborn friend and sank back into the water to talk to Kiara and Pope.

"You know if you wanted to recreate a Baywatch scene you should have given me the heads up," JJ joked.

Harley hiccupped a laugh through her tears. JJ's lack of seriousness made her feel a bit better.

JJ waited for her cries to wane to sniffles before asking, "Better?"

She nodded wiping away the last of her tears.

"I was on a boat."

"What?"

"In my nightmares, just now... I was on a boat. A decently sized boat. It's always raining and I just plummet overboard into the darkness. It has to be a memory, right?"

"Maybe. Do you remember anything else?"

As usual, when she thought about it a dull pounding began behind her skull, so she shook her head. "Do you think my parents, my family, hate me and that's why they aren't searching for me? Or maybe they saw me as a burden."

JJ pulled away from her so that he could see her red rimmed eyes and sullen expression. Her hair had darkened to almost black under the droplets of water that stuck the strands to her cheeks and neck. She had sucked in her bottom lip to stop it from quivering. Her small hands were clasped tightly together now.

"Why would you say that?" JJ honestly had no idea what to say. He wanted to comfort Harley, but he didn't know how to cope with his own emotions at the best of times. It seemed he and Harley would have that in common.

She ran a hand over her eyes one more time before straightening up beneath his arm. "I don't know. It was just a silly thought." She surprised JJ with one of her usual blinding smiles. "I'm sorry. The amnesia has really messed with my feelings. We're out in the sun having fun. Now is not the time to be a Debby Downer."

On one hand Harley was angry at herself for pushing her sadness aside, on the other she was angry for spoiling the Pogue's day out. She had all the time in the world to overanalyse every possible scenario as to why her family weren't looking for her. She had all the time in the world to conjure up fake scenarios of them randomly turning up to bring her home, wherever that was. She had all the time in the world to scour the internet on her phone for dead end clues. She had all the time in the world, because she could feel deep down that nobody would come for her except DCS.

Taken by surprise, JJ decided to go along with Harley and act like nothing happened. He watched Harley push back the towel and scrape back her hair.

"Alright then. Let's go have some fun mini Routledge."

In true JJ fashion he hollered at the others to stop having a mother's meeting. He sprung into the water splashing the three. He helped Harley slip into the water and swept her onto his back.

Harley held on and let him swim them over to the group who wore smiles. Kiara reached out for Harley's hand and gave her a proud wink. Harley was grateful for Kiara. She was grateful for all of the Pogues and lucky to be able to call them her friends. She didn't know what she'd do without them.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

122K 1.3K 28
What if the pogues were originally a group of 5, but one of them mysteriously died when they were 15. After John B and Sarah escape the island and f...
5.8K 95 46
It's been seven years. Is she naive to think he could have changed? It's been years since she left Kildare for New York - seven years since she calle...
1.5M 20.3K 46
Y/N is a pogue, and best friends with JJ, but she's had feelings for him for a while.
305 6 11
Season 2 of Outer Banks (I do not own OBX)