Catch Me if You Can (Male Rea...

By aLogan11

(Y/N) had never gone to any combat schools in all of Remnant. So why did Professor Ozpin take such an interes... More

(Y/N) Bio
Vol 1 Part 1
Vol 1 Part 2
Vol 1 Part 3
Vol 1 Part 4
Vol 1 Part 5
Vol 1 Part 6
Vol 1 Part 7
Vol 1 Part 8
Vol 1 Part 9
Vol 1 Part 10
Vol 1 Part 11
Vol 1 Part 12
Vol 1 Part 13
Vol 1 Part 14
Vol 1 Part 15
Vol 2 Part 1
Vol 2 Part 2
Vol 2 Part 3
Vol 2 Part 4
Vol 2 Part 5
Vol 2 Part 6
Vol 2 Part 7
Vol 2 Part 8
Vol 2 Part 9
Vol 2 Part 10
Vol 2 Part 11
Vol 2 Part 12
Vol 2 Part 13
Vol 2 Part 14
Vol 2 Part 15
Vol 2 Part 16
Vol 3 Part 1
Vol 3 Part 2
Vol 3 Part 3
Vol 3 Part 4
Vol 3 Part 5
Vol 3 Part 6
Vol 3 Part 7
Vol 3 Part 8
Vol 3 Part 9
Vol 3 Part 10
Vol 3 Part 11
Vol 3 Part 12
Vol 4 Part 1
Vol 4 Part 2
Vol 4 Part 3
Vol 4 Part 4
Vol 4 Part 5
Vol 4 Part 6
Vol 4 Part 7
Vol 4 Part 8
Vol 4 Part 9
Vol 4 Part 10
Vol 4 Part 11
Vol 4 Part 12
Vol 4 Part 13
Vol 4 Part 14
Vol 5 Part 1
Vol 5 Part 2
Vol 5 Part 3
Vol 5 Part 4
Vol 5 Part 5
Vol 5 Part 6
Vol 5 Part 7
Vol 5 Part 8
Vol 5 Part 9
Vol 5 Part 10
Vol 5 Part 11
Vol 5 Part 12
Vol 5 Part 13
Vol 5 Part 14
Ria Cdc Uipz Zi?
Vol 6 Part 1
Vol 6 Part 2
Vol 6 Part 3
Vol 6 Part 4
Vol 6 Part 5
Vol 6 Part 6
Vol 6 Part 7
Vol 6 Part 8
Vol 6 Part 9
Vol 6 Part 10
Vol 6 Part 11
Vol 6 Part 12
Vol 6 Part 13
Vol 7 Part 1
Vol 7 Part 2
Vol 7 Part 3
Vol 7 Part 4
Vol 7 Part 5
Vol 7 Part 6
Vol 7 Part 7
Vol 7 Part 8
Vol 7 Part 9
Vol 7 Part 10
Vol 7 Part 11
Vol 7 Part 12
Vol 7 Part 13
Vol 7 Part 14
Vol 8 Part 1
Vol 8 Part 2
Vol 8 Part 4
Vol 8 Part 5
Vol 8 Part 6
Vol 8 Part 7
Vol 8 Part 8
Vol 8 Part 9
Vol 8 Part 10
Vol 8 Part 11
Vol 8 Part 12
Vol 8 Part 13
Vol 8 Part 14
Vol 9 Teaser 1
Vol 9 Teaser 2
Vol 9 Teaser 3
Vol 9 Teaser 4
Vol 9 Part 1
Vol 9 Part 2
Vol 9 Part 3
Vol 9 Part 4
Vol 9 Part 5
Vol 9 Part 6
Vol 9 Part 7
Vol 9 Part 8

Vol 8 Part 3

320 9 4
By aLogan11

(Your POV)

It was nightfall again.

You waited in the shadows of a back alley one block from the hospital and watched its staff spill in and out of the hospital.

It was cloudy, and you couldn't make out the shattered moon. Military vehicles stacked up on the street as they waited for approval, being checked for proper IDs and vital scans. 

No cigar.

Still, you kept your eyes fixed on the entrance.

You had ditched your normal black coat, and had gone more for disguise.

Dark leather boots, two hidden knives flat against their soles. Your black trousers were tucked into your boots, and you carried a pair of gloves and a black handkerchief in your pockets. A dark, long-sleeved shirt was tied around your waist. 

Earlier, you had traded animal blood for some lien. Your arms, stomach, and face were smeared with it. 

The hospital spanned several floors of the building, but the only important one was the one without windows. The third floor, the laboratory, where aura was tested on. 

On the outside it was completely hidden by elaborate carvings and Atlesian flags. However, behind the disguise lay a vast floor with no halls and no doors. Only a gigantic room with scientists and doctors, experimenting on people.

You knew because you were there before. You were there when they tested on you, the day that you thought you were going to die.

Your eyes scanned the side of the tower. Sometimes you could break into a building by running it from the outside, if there were balconies to leap from and window ledges to balance on. You once scaled a four-story building in less than seven seconds.

This tower was too smooth, with no footholds. You would have to reach the lab from the inside. 

You shivered a little and wished you asked her to come with you. She could handle it, and you knew she could, but you were still scared. Besides, you tried to convince yourself that two people were harder to catch than one, even if her semblance could...

You trailed off, not wanting to get into that conversation again. 

Besides, she didn't want to come here. The two of you had plenty of lien to get away, and the perfect opportunity was coming up in a few months. You wanted to make sure you had enough money when you made it to Vale, to disappear for longer than normal...

A lone truck pulled up behind the military vehicles. Several soldiers climbed out and greeted the nurses while others unpacked the truck's boxes. 

The leader of the group was a dark-haired man dressed in a white overcoat, as you could only see the back of him. You strained to hear what they were saying, and could only hear mention of aura.

Confirmed.

You caught a glimpse of the guns at his belt as he spoke.

Nurse: Yes sir.

The man nodded to her.

James: Call me James. If you have any questions, come see me.

You waited until the soldiers had spread out around the hospital's perimeter and the man named James had immersed himself in another conversation. Several more trucks came and went.

You took a deep breath, then stepped out of the shadows and stumbled towards the entrance.

A nurse spotted you first, just outside the main doors. Her eyes darted to the blood on your arms and face.

(Y/N): Can I be admitted, girlie?

You winced in imaginary pain.

(Y/N): Is there still room tonight? I can pay.

She looked at you without pity before she returned to typing and swiping on her scroll. Guess she didn't appreciate the 'girlie' affection. An ID tag dangled from her neck.

Nurse: What happened?

You doubled over when you reached her and leaned on your knees.

(Y/N): Was in a fight... I think I got stabbed.

Nurse: What happened to your aura? You have one don't you?

You barked out a fake laugh, before looking up at her.

(Y/N): I was in a fight. It didn't go well, and my aura isn't really the fastest at recovering, and regardless, the wound is deep.

The nurse didn't look at you again. She finished typing something and then nodded at one of the guards. 

Nurse: Pat him down.

You stayed where you were as two soldiers checked you for weapons. You yelped on cue when they touched your arms or stomach. They didn't find the knives tucked in your boots. They did, however, take the bit of lien you had in a pouch tied to your belt, your payment for entering the hospital. Of course.

If you were a goddy rich sector boy, or the son of some famous huntsman or other person, you'd be admitted without charge, or very little payment at the least. Or they'd send a doctor for free straight up to where you lived.

When the soldiers gave the nurse a thumbs-up, she pointed you toward the entrance.

Nurse: Waiting room's on the left. Have a seat.

You thanked her and stumbled toward the sliding doors. The man named James watched you as you passed. He was listening patiently to one of the soldiers, but you saw him study your face as if out of habit. You made a mental note of his face too.

The hospital was ghostly white on the inside. The waiting room was filled with people sporting injuries of various shapes and sizes.

You noted where all the soldiers are standing. Two by the secretary's window, two by the doctor's door far in the distance, several near the elevators, each wearing ID tags. 

You shuffled to the closest chair and sat down. You kept your hands pressed against your side for good measure.

You counted off ten minutes in your head, long enough so that new patients had arrived in the waiting room and the soldiers were less interested in you. 

Then you stood up, pretended to stumble, and lurched towards the closest soldier. His hands reflexively moved to his gun.

Soldier: Sit back down.

You tripped and fell against him.

(Y/N): I need the bathroom.

Your hands trembled as you grabbed his armor for balance. The soldier looked at you in disgust while some of the others snickered. You saw his  fingers creep closer to his gun's trigger, but one of the soldiers shook his head. No shooting in the hospital. The soldier pushed you away and pointed toward the end of the hall with his gun.

Soldier: Over there. Wipe some of that filth off your face. And if you touch me again, I'll fill you with bullets.

You released him and nearly fell to your knees. Then you turned and staggered toward the restroom. You could feel the soldier's eyes on you as you entered the bathroom and locked the door.

No matter. They would forget about you in a couple of minutes. And it would take several more minutes before the soldier realized you grabbed his ID tag.

Once in the bathroom, you abandoned the sick routine, washing your face and scrubbing until most of it came off.

You unzipped your boots and tore open the inner soles to reveal your knives, and tucked them into your belt. Then you untied the black collared shirt from around your waist and put it on, buttoning it all the way up. 

Finally, you pulled your gloves on and tied a black handkerchief around your mouth and nose. If someone caught you now, you would be forced to run away. Might as well hide your face.

You used the tip of one of your knives to unscrew the cover of the bathroom's ventilation shaft. Then you took out the ID tag, clipped it onto your shirt, and stuffed yourself into the shaft's tunnel.

After several minutes, it ended. You looked through the vent, and could see pieces of a curved stairwell. The floor was an immaculate white, and empty.

You counted to three in your head, then pushed the shaft cover with all your might. The cover flew off, and you got a glimpse of the stairwell.

All speed, no stealth.

You squeezed out of the shaft, and darted up the steps. Halfway up, you grabbed the railing and flung yourself up to the next highest curve.

The cameras must have focused, the alarm would sound soon. Second floor, third floor. 

As you approached the door, you tore the ID tag and paused long enough to swipe it. The handle clicked, and you threw open the door.

You were in a huge room, and many people looked up at you with startled faces.

You grabbed the first person you saw.

Before anyone could point a gun in your direction, you whipped out one of your knives and held it close to her throat. The others froze, while some screamed.

You pressed your knife against her neck, careful not to cut her, and whispered so only she could hear.

(Y/N): I won't hurt you. Tell me where the aura serum is.

She whimpered and gestured toward the refrigerators. The soldiers hesitated, but one called out to you.

Female Soldier: Release the doctor. Put your hands up.

You want to laugh. The soldier must be newer. 

White hair, blue eyes, posture of the haughty rich.

A Schnee...

You crossed the room with the doctor, then stopped at the refrigerators. 

(Y/N): Show me.

The doctor lifted a trembling hand and pulled the door open, a gust of freezing air hitting you.

Doctor: There.

You turned away to see the doctor pointing at the top shelf. Several vials were full, but the one labeled Aura empty, gone.

They ran out. You cursed under your breath. Your eyes skimmed the shelves, only seeing other medications and suppressants. Too late to turn back now. You whispered once again to the girl.

(Y/N): I'm letting go. Duck.

You released your grip and shoved her hard enough to make her fall to her knees.

The soldiers opened fire. But you were ready for them. You hid behind the open fridge door as bullets ricocheted off it. You grabbed several bottles and vials, and shoved them into your shirt.

You bolted.

One of the stray bullets scraped you, and searing pain shot up your arm. You were almost at the exit.

Alarms blared and clicks sounded from each door, locking them on the inside. You were trapped. The soldiers could still come through any door, but you wouldn't be able to get out.

Soldier: He's hit!

Your eyes jumped to the tiny windows in the plaster walls. They were too far to reach from the stairs, but...

You gritted your teeth and pulled out your second knife so that you now had one in each hand. You leapt off the stairs, praying the plaster was soft enough, as you threw yourself toward the wall.

You stabbed one knife through the plaster, your wounded arm gushing blood, and you screamed in the effort, as you rocked back and forth as hard as you could.

The plaster was giving way.

Behind you, you heard the laboratory door open and soldiers spilled out, bullets sparking all around you. You swung toward the window and let go of the knife buried in the wall.

The window shattered, and you were out in the night, falling. You ripped open your shirt and let it billowed out behind you as thoughts zipped through your head.

Knees bent. Feetfirst. Relax muscles. Hit with balls of feet. Roll. The ground rushed up at you, and you braced yourself.

The impact knocked the wound out of you. You rolled four times and crashed into the wall on the other side of the street.

For a moment you lie there blinded, completely helpless. Above you, you heard furious voices, and your reflexes sharpened gradually, with the pain returning.

You used your good arm to prop yourself up and winced, your chest throbbing. Your ankle was sprained too. You couldn't tell if adrenaline was keeping you from feeling other effects from the fall.

The edges of your vision were blurring, but you managed to catch sight of a sewer cap on the street, as you bent down to lift the cover.

James: Freeze.

You whirled around to see him, the man from earlier. His gun was pointed straight at your chest, but to your surprise, he didn't fire it. Something changed, and you realized that he recognized you as the one who staggered towards the hospital. 

You smiled. You had plenty of wounds for the hospital to treat now.

James: Hands up. You're under arrest for theft, vandalism, and trespassing.

(Y/N): You're not going to take me in alive.

James: I'd be happy to take you in dead, if you prefer.

What happened next was a blur. You saw him tense up to fire his gun. You threw your knife at him with all your strength. Before he could fire, your knife hit him hard in the shoulder, and he fell backward.

You didn't wait to see him get up. You bent down and heaved the manhole cover up, and lowered yourself into darkness.

You stumbled along, careful not to touch the sides as you stuck to the water, feeling more injuries every moment, as you made your way to the meeting point.

You dragged yourself onto the street, emerging in a dark alley. When you caught your breath, you saw cars passing by, and you couldn't hold on any longer.

You found a dark spot and collapsed, the last thing that you saw was the silhouette of a girl off in the distance, walking towards you. 

(3rd Person POV)

Sounds of things going up pneumatic tubes were heard clanging, until it stopped. Ruby was heard breathing heavily, before gasping for breath. She was helped out of the tube by May and Penny. Weiss was angrily pulling Nora by her ear.

Nora: Ow, ow, ow! C'mon that was a once in a lifetime experience!

Weiss let Nora go. Nora's right ear turned red.

Nora: Ow.

Blake stepped out of another tube, her hair messy from the unorthodox method of travel.

Blake: Good. Because I never wanna do that again.

Blake fixed her unkempt hair. The group proceeded forward.

May: Alright robo-girl, you're up. Which way?

Penny used her eyes to view the area ahead in a wireframe view, pointing in various directions as she said them.

Penny: We'll cross the bridge, then go left, straight, right, straight, left, up, up, right, straight, right, right, straight, left, left.

Everyone looks stunned at Penny's direction.

Penny: And my name... is Penny.

Ruby crossed her arms and smiled slyly at May.

Ruby: Heh.

May: Tsk...

May activated her semblance, hiding everyone from view. Later, they were in an elevator. They heard the elevator door open, and backed away cautiously when they saw a pair of Atlas Soldiers enter. The soldiers were oblivious to the group's presence due to May's semblance.

Soldier 1: I don't think even the squad captain knows what's going on up there. They can't get close to that storm without getting shocked right out of the air.

Soldier 2: It's creepy, all those Grimm just... waiting. Worse than if they'd attacked--

Soldier 1: Hey, don't say that! You'll jinx us.

Penny motioned for the group to follow her, and they discreetly squeezed past the soldiers, headed for the elevator door.

Soldier 2: I just hope the C.O. can get us some answers soon, or-

On the way out, Nora flashed a mischievous grin and swiped her hand over the elevator controls, tapping the button for every floor. The pair of soldiers were now alone in the elevator. The first soldier glanced at the elevator controls, then did a double take.

Soldier 1: Huh?

The doors to the elevator closed again. The group made its way down a wide corridor to a large locked door with "03" in large print on it. Penny stopped by a nearby control panel and extended her index finger. The tip swiveled out to reveal a connector plug, and Ruby's eyes grew wide.

Ruby: Cool.

Penny interfaced with the control panel, and the attached handprint scanner flashed green. A hologram display popped up, showing Dr. Pietro Polendina's credentials.

Computer: Welcome back, Doctor Polendina.

The door slid open with a whoosh, and the group stepped through.

May: Alright, where to next, Penny?

Penny: Right through central command!

A door to the right opened to reveal a bustling workplace filled with digital workstations, holographic maps, and Atlesian officials and clerks.

Weiss: Of course.

May: I can't maneuver us through all that.

Penny: Do not worry, Ruby is capable of traveling at an extreme velocity from one point to another by breaking herself down to her molecular components, thus negating her mass and then reassembling them at the destination, theoretically making it possible for her to transport all of us in the same way, as mass no longer matters.

Ruby looked dumbfounded.

Ruby: I, uh, what?

Penny: You can use your semblance on all of us.

Blake: Did Penny just figure that out before you did?

Ruby: Blake, she knew you were a Faunus before I did.

Elsewhere in the complex, General Ironwood met with Watts. He entered the room, adjusting his mechanical left arm and straightening his tie.

Ironwood: Apologies for the delay, today has been... busy. Have you made any progress?

He circled around a workstation to where Watts was working. A revolving wireframe of Penny was displayed on one screen, and a recorded video feed of her standoff with Cinder played on another. Lines of code scrolled across the screen as he typed.

Ironwood: I'd hate for us to have to try motivating you... Again.

The general clasped his hands on Watts' shoulders in a threatening gesture, causing the latter's eyes to widen in surprise, pausing his work momentarily.

Watts: Given what we're after, I've got all the motivation I need. Sadly it doesn't make taking down Pietro's magical science project any less cumbersome.

Ironwood released his grip on Watts' shoulders as he continued typing.

Ironwood: Oh, I trust you can come up with something.

Watts: Oh, the trust is palpable.

Four Atlesian soldiers stood in a firing stance, their guns leveled at Watts. A red security alert popped up on Watts' screen, and he pulled up a map of the military complex.

Watts: Speaking of the man, are you aware that dear Dr. Polendina is gallivanting around your military compound?

Ironwood leaned down to inspect the screen. A window with text reading "DR. POLENDINA'S CREDENTIALS IN USE" could be seen.

Watts: Unless, of course, someone else is using his credentials.

The general let out a frustrated growl.

Ironwood broadcasted an announcement throughout the complex.

Ironwood: A security threat has been detected in the compound, status alert level 3: red. Lockdown initiated. Authorization granted to handle ANY threats with lethal force.

Red emergency lighting activated and sirens started to blare as the infiltrating group listened in dismay.

Weiss: You've got to be joking!

Penny's eyes glowed as she inspected the system.

Penny: The pneumatic tubes have all been closed off.

Blake: We're trapped.

May: We passed a hangar, I can hijack an airship and get us off this floating rock.

Penny: Wait, we can still succeed. We are so close.

Nora: Hmm...

Nora looked thoughtful, then snapped her fingers as if she had an idea.

An office worker carrying a cup of coffee walked by. May stuck out her foot and tripped him. He lost his grip on his mug, and the coffee spilled all over a workstation, causing it to spit sparks of electricity. Its operator's lap was also drenched, and he cried out in pain.

Operator: Read the sign, Bill! Read the sign!

There was a hand-drawn poster depicting a burger, fries, and drink suspended in the water over a large shark-esque Grimm. A majority of the room's occupants turned to stare and shake their heads at Bill.

Operator: Why don't you ever just pay attention? You're in here late all the time, your coworkers-

The scalded operator bursted out of the room, bellowing in pain, and left the door open behind him. As the workers continued to complain to Bill, Ruby used her semblance, taking Weiss, Blake, Nora, and Penny with her. They managed to sneak past undetected.

Office guy: You put salmon in the microwave!

As his complaints were drowned out in the noise, Ruby released her semblance, striking a pose. Nora and Penny looked at her in awe, Weiss smiled, while Blake held onto the wall with a terrified look on her face.

Blake: Another thing I don't wanna do ever again.

The five girls made their way along a raised walkway in a cavernous and deserted chamber. At the end of the walkway was a heavily electrified door.

Penny: Stand back, please.

Ruby, Weiss, Blake, and Nora got ready to draw their weapons as Penny interfaced with a control panel, deactivating the electricity and opening the door. As the overhead lights came on, a secluded room filled with terminals was revealed. Ironwood's terminal sat at the back wall.

Ruby: Uh, where is everyone?

Penny: This is a highly classified area.

The girls made their way inside, and the door closed and electrified itself again. Nora briefly stopped to regard it before moving on. Penny sat in the office chair by Ironwood's terminal and braced herself, taking a deep breath before contacting her father.

Penny: Hey dad? I'm ready.

Penny's eyes turned yellow. She started speaking in Pietro's voice, and her movements were considerably more stiff and jerky.

Pietro: Ahem. This process is a... little complicated. So I'm remoting into Penny from Amity Colosseum.

Ruby: I.... see.

Penny began her work on the terminal as Ruby watched on. The other three idled by. Blake swiveled around a few times in an office chair.

Blake: I hope the others are okay. I've never seen Yang and Ruby fight like this.

Weiss: Don't worry, they're sisters. Sometimes sisters just have very different ideas about what's right.

Nora: Yeah, they'll be fine. Jaune's a great leader, Oscar's grown a ton, and Yang is more than capable of protecting them all in a fight.

Blake and Weiss waited for her to continue. When she didn't, they both tilted their heads in puzzlement.

Blake and Weiss: Hmm.

Nora: Oh, and of course Ren is- um...

Nora's usual happy-go-lucky composure broke, and she averted her eyes.

Nora: I don't know what he is. Every time I think the two of us are making progress, he... We've been together our whole lives but I feel like I understand him less now than ever. And I don't know if that's his fault or mine.

Blake: When you've been at someone's side for so long, after a while they become a part of you. But that's just it, they're only a part of you. Don't forget about the rest.

Nora let out a mirthless chuckle.

Nora: I don't actually know who I am... without Ren. Pretty sad, huh?

Weiss: Well, maybe take this opportunity to find out? Do something only Nora can do.

Nora: Like what? Be strong and hit stuff?

Weiss stepped forward to comfort Nora, but some loud keystrokes distracted them, and the girls joined Ruby and Penny at Ironwood's terminal. As Pietro spoke through Penny, Weiss turned to Ruby for an explanation, but she could only shrug in response.

Pietro: I just have to... There. Downloading the cloned imprint now. When Penny gets to Amity, we'll run the launch sequence. Amity's computer will try to connect to the general's terminal but get Penny instead.

Penny's eyes went back to green.

Penny: And after the launch, I'll return to help you all with the evacuation.

Pietro: About that, Penny. When Amity goes up, I think you should be on it with Maria and I.

Penny's cheerful expression was replaced by an anxious one. The rest of the girls traded conflicted looks.

Penny: But they need me here. Right?

Ruby: Well, if you stay far out of Salem's reach, then she can't open the vault. She can't get to the relic. So...

Weiss: Maybe it is for the best?

Blake: Um, we should probably head to the hangar.

Back at the room's entrance, Penny glumly deactivated the electrified door again.

Penny: I guess we all have to do some things we would rather not.

To the girls' surprise, the doors opened to reveal Harriet, Elm, Vine and Marrow.

Harriet: Hello, kids. Time to come home now, Penny.

The infiltration team drew their weapons.

Weiss: So your first time losing to us wasn't enough?

Marrow: We were holding back!

Vine: We have all said some things we regret, but please, hear me out. I know you thought you were doing the right thing when you left with the Maiden power, but Salem is here now. Things have changed.

Vine slowly stepped forward to reason with them. With the exception of Penny, all the girls stared him down resolutely.

Penny: If General Ironwood plans to leave Mantle behind nothing has changed.

Vine: I thought you were supposed to protect the people, not hurt them.

Penny: I would never hurt anyone.

Elm: Well Winter's in critical condition, because of you.

Harriet: And you repaid her by stealing the power that should have been hers.

Penny: But taking the Maiden power was the only way to stop--

Harriet: If you keep refusing to do the right thing, people in Atlas AND Mantle are going to die.

Marrow: You could stop all of this, Penny. Just open the vault, hand over the relic, and you'll save Atlas.

Ruby: But it won't save Atlas. Salem will find her way to the relic no matter where you go. Once Ironwood opens the vault, the relic is--

Harriet: One more word, and I'm throwing you in jail right next to your uncle, runt.

Ruby made to move forward, incensed, but Penny held her back, balling up her fists.

Penny: Leave. Her. Alone.

Harriet: And what are you gonna do about it, tin can?

Penny stepped forward beyond the room's threshold, and Harriet remotely activated the electrified door. Penny only had time to turn around before she was separated from her friends.

Ruby: Penny, no!

Now alone, Penny turned back to face the Ace Ops, green Maiden-flames rising by her eyes.

A small breeze picked up, blowing in the Ace Ops' direction. It grew to the point of Penny's enemies needing to brace themselves. 

Finally, Penny sent an air current barreling forward, knocking the Ace Ops off their feet. Vine grabbed a nearby railing with his semblance and Harriet and Elm landed on their feet, but Marrow had to grab Elm's hammer Timber to regain his footing.

Harriet used her semblance to move against Penny's wind while Vine used his to boost himself up out of the airflow, landing behind Penny. The Winter Maiden turned around to face him.

Penny: You will NOT hurt my friends!

The wind lightened up somewhat. Penny released her Floating Array swords, using them to defend against Vine's semblance. 

Behind her, Harriet zoomed into her blind spot, hammering her with a barrage of high-speed blows. Penny finally caught Harriet in the chest with her swords, causing the Ace Operative to take a spill.

Before Penny could strike again, one of Elm's rockets hit her in the back, sending her flying. Marrow and Harriet kept the pressure on her, but she was able to counter Harriet's attack. 

Penny used her Maiden powers again, a dark cloud materializing overhead. Chunks of hail began to fall, distracting Marrow long enough for Penny to kick him off the walkway. Vine used his semblance to pull his teammate back to safety.

Vine: Harriet! Elm!

Elm moved forward, planting herself in place using her semblance. Harriet leapt onto her hammer, using her own semblance to launch off as Elm swung. She caught Penny unaware, landing multiple hits. 

The Winter Maiden sent her swords forward, but Harriet blocked them. Behind her, Elm swung her weapon in a circular fashion as in a hammer throw, and Harriet backflipped out of the way just in time to avoid the hammer as her teammate hurled it.

On the other side of the door, Weiss attempted to use her Arma Gigas to break it, but the electricity running through it proved fatal for the summon.

Weiss: Four versus one? Cowards.

Ruby: Penny's the Winter Maiden, I'm sure she can hold her own for a little bit.

Elm's hammer caught Penny in the chest, sending her flying back. Vine attacked with his Thorn blades but Penny held him and Harriet back. Elm was able to catch her in a bear hug from behind and stopped her from using her Maiden powers. 

The wind died down completely as Elm tightened her grip. The Ace Ops were given a moment's reprieve before Penny's Maiden-flames started up again. She knocked her enemies back in a brilliant flash of blue light.

Harriet: Marrow!

Marrow threw his boomerang Fetch at Penny, knocking her off the walkway. She soon flew back up, readying her swords to use her laser attack, but marrow snapped his fingers, pointing at her.

Marrow: Stay!

Penny gasped as she was forced to freeze. Vine dragged her back onto the walkway where she collapsed in a heap.

On the other side of the door, Nora grew frustrated with her situation, moving closer to the electrified door.

Nora: We have to get out there... Be strong--

Nora brandished her hammer Magnhild.

Nora: And hit stuff.

Weiss: Nora, wait!

Nora jammed her hammer into the door's power supply, siphoning off the electricity. She began to scream from the strain of channeling so much power. Pink streaks appeared on her arm, chest, and neck, and her hair started to stand on end. Still bellowing, she let loose on the door with her hammer, disappearing in the ensuing explosion of black smoke.

Meanwhile, Marrow was still paralyzing Penny with his semblance. Elm had her lying prone, and was about to clamp a pair of Gravity Bolas around her wrists.

Marrow: Hurry up, Elm! I can't--

The door exploded outwards from Nora's attack, sending everyone off their feet in a blast of black smoke. As the Ace Ops recovered, Nora was seen in the doorway, clutching her hammer and breathing heavily, still crackling with pink electricity.

Nora: That was pretty awesome.

Nora's aura shimmered and broke. She fainted, her upper body covered with electrical scars.

Penny: Nora!

Penny ran forward to check on her fallen ally as Ruby, Weiss, and Blake stepped forward to face the Ace Ops, their weapons at the ready.

Elsewhere, Ironwood was watching the fight on his scroll.

Ironwood: Damnit, that was our chance! I need all available squads to converge on--

Watts: Wait.

Watts turned around in his chair.

Watts: I have a message for your operatives.

Penny hovered above her allies, green thunder crackling in a large thundercloud overhead. An inaudible order came through from Ironwood to the Ace Ops' private comms.

Harriet: But general, we--

Marrow: We understand, sir.

Harriet turned to look at Marrow.

The girls pressed forward, Penny sending her swords at the Ace Ops. Vine and Marrow dodged them, and the former used his semblance to send Ruby, Weiss, and Blake tumbling off the walkway. 

Marrow narrowly dodged being swept off as well. Ruby managed to catch the edge of the walkway with Crescent Rose, but Blake and Weiss lost their grip on her hand and dropped down. Ruby used her semblance to carry them to safety.

The Winter Maiden was left to fight Harriet alone again. The Ace Op grabbed one of Penny's swords and pulled hard, snapping the wire that connected it to her. Ruby, Weiss, and Blake landed back on the walkway as Elm took stock of the situation.

Elm: Tch. Let's go.

The Ace Ops took their leave, jumping off the walkway on their own terms one by one. Marrow paused to look back at the girls before vaulting over the railing himself.

Weiss: Uh, that was-

Blake: Very suspicious?

Penny stowed her weapons and hurried over to Nora, hauling her upper body into her lap. Nora briefly opened her eyes and groaned before falling unconscious again. Penny reached for Nora's hammer, but a spark of pink electricity arced off it, preventing her from touching it.

Ruby and the others entered the hangar with Penny carrying Nora in her arms and Magnhild strapped to her back. Even while unconscious, Nora's brow was furrowed. They looked around the empty chamber until they heard a whistle.

May: You coming or what?

Ruby and the others moved forward, entering May's invisibility field.

May: All ready to--

May gasped when she saw Nora's condition.

Blake: She's in bad shape. We need to get her somewhere safe.

Penny looked at Nora with a worried expression, but it soon turned resolute. Her Maiden's eye-flames lit up. A minor explosion blasted a hole in the wall of the military compound, and May's Manta soon came flying through it into the open sky. Inside, Penny gently laid Nora down on the ground face-up.

Penny: I'm so, so sorry.

In the backseat, Ruby tried to comfort Penny with a smile, but the Winter Maiden was inconsolable.

Penny: It is time for me to go, isn't it?

Ruby pulled Penny into a hug.

Ruby: We'll see each other again really soon, I promise.

Behind Ruby's back, Penny caught Weiss and Blake's gazes, and they looked at her reassuringly. May pressed a button on the console, retracting the windshield. Penny climbed onto her seat, and with one last salute, flew off, headed for Amity Colosseum.

Elsewhere, Ironwood inspected the fruits of the Ace Ops' work, holding Penny's sword in his hands.

Ironwood: Good work.

Harriet: Tch, good work would have been capturing Penny.

Watts: Well, you know what they say.

Ironwood handed him the sword.

Watts: If you can't beat them, then make them join you.

A small continuation of the flashbacks, showing the first interactions of characters in Atlas, that being (Y/N), Ironwood, and Winter.

Aura manipulation is touched on, and we get some callbacks to Volume 1 with experimentation on (Y/N) and aura.

Besides that, not much.

Until next time!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.5K 32 8
In the world of remnant there are four huntress schools and basically no huntsmen seeing as people thought that men couldn't be huntsmen, some men pr...
3.7K 85 17
A/N: so this is my take putting my own spin on making a RWBY x male reader They say life's all about a few moments, and in those few moments actions...
13.6K 112 18
y/n wasn't just an ordinary student at beacon academy, he wasn't even close to being that All rights for rwby go to rooster teeth
125K 1.5K 10
Team rwby gets a mission from their mother Salem and their fathers to infiltrate Beacon academy to possibly find some new recruits and take down a du...