Pokémon Bloodstone | An Orre...

By kingrufus

When failed actress Chalcedony gives up on the neon lights and crowds to challenge the Orre League, it isn't... More

Chapter 1: The End of the World
Chapter 2: Time Will Tell
Chapter 3: Cipher's Shadow
Chapter 4: Threat
Chapter 5: Real
Chapter 6: Lost
Chapter 7: Questionable Intentions
Chapter 8: The Pendant
Chapter 9: Pedestal
Chapter 10: Chasing Acceptance
Chapter 11: Talent Scout
Chapter 12: Discouraged
Chapter 13: Drawn to Danger
Chapter 14: Police Report
Chapter 15: Passion of the Desert Sun
Chapter 16: The Machine Badge
Chapter 17: Flying High
Chapter 18: Misguided Colleagues
Chapter 19: Emergency
Chapter 20: Conspiracy
Chapter 21: No Match
Chapter 22: Mystery
Chapter 23: Hacker
Chapter 24: Possibilities
Chapter 25: Pokémon For Sale
Chapter 26: Con
Chapter 27: The Relic Stone
Chapter 28: Unfamiliar Face
Chapter 29: Escape
Chapter 30: Final Appeal
Chapter 31: The One That Got Away
Chapter 32: Applause
Chapter 33: Businessman
Chapter 34: Broken Promise
Chapter 35: Meeting
Chapter 36: Sign
Chapter 37: False Alarm
Chapter 38: Under Investigation
Chapter 39: The Pickaxe Badge
Chapter 40: Sister
Chapter 41: Wasteland
Chapter 42: Too Horrible
Chapter 43: Fateen's Fortune-Telling Chamber
Chapter 44: Closed Down
Chapter 45: Feeling Chipper
Chapter 46: Test
Chapter 47: The Gem Badge
Chapter 48: Arrested
Chapter 49: Prisoner
Chapter 50: Unwanted Package
Chapter 51: Torture
Chapter 52: The One
Chapter 53: Drunk
Chapter 54: A Tough Girl's Walls
Chapter 55: The Crystal Ball Badge
Chapter 56: Missing
Chapter 57: The Road Badge
Chapter 58: Only Child
Chapter 59: Lookalike
Chapter 60: Eclo Canyon
Chapter 61: Secrets
Chapter 62: The Skyscraper Badge
Chapter 63: Samples
Chapter 64: The Palm Badge
Chapter 65: Guide
Chapter 66: Prepared to Battle
Chapter 67: Cipher Admins Ein & Theta
Chapter 68: Sunrise
Chapter 69: Grave Danger
Chapter 70: Self-Destruction
Chapter 71: Victory Road
Chapter 72: Challenger Dirk Vs. Elite Four
Chapter 73: Challenger Rustie Vs. Elite Four
Chapter 74: Cipher's Lair
Chapter 75: Challenger Zileh Vs. Elite Four
Chapter 76: Champion Zane
Chapter 77: Challenger Chalcedony Vs. Elite Four
Chapter 78: Fool's Gold
Chapter 79: Cipher Admin Theta's First Victim
Chapter 80: Hero
Chapter 81: The Missing Daughter
Chapter 82: The Weapon
Chapter 83: Preoccupied
Chapter 84: The Real Fake
Chapter 85: Dreamer in Denial
Chapter 86: The Lock Box
Chapter 87: Letter
Chapter 89: The Grand Master's Trial
Chapter 90: Homecoming
Author's Notes: General
Author's Notes: Gym Challengers [Spoilers]
All Illustrations: Character Portraits

Chapter 88: Double Agent

16 3 0
By kingrufus

Hydreigon flew Ruby Jane to Agate Village. She and Whitby got soaked in a burst of rare rain while they waited for the bus to the house, because there was no GPS to guide Hydreigon there. The bus never came. Ruby Jane asked a grocery store cashier if he knew the way. He pointed to a customer, whose face and hair were hidden by a baggy hood, raiding the reduced rack.

'He lives on Poliwag Creek Road. And he's the nicest guy ever. He'll take you.'

Hebon accosted the reduced raider before Ruby Jane. He told him that he might as well take his hood down because everyone recognised his Charizard, but Ruby Jane didn't until she heard that. She wanted to run away. Leon would know exactly who she was. Both he and Hebon saw her before she could turn to leave.

'She wants directions,' the cashier called, 'To Poliwag Creek Road.'

Leon looked horrified, but it wasn't because he was judging her.

'Directions? From me?'

'I've come to see... Chalcedony... at your house...'

'Oh! Your Pokémon can help me carry all this shopping, then. I'd get lost on my way out of the shop, but Charizard knows the way!'

Hebon shook his head. 'I'll just drive y'all. I don't even know how you're coping with all those guests, Leon. My own kids are more than enough for me.'

'I wouldn't say I'm coping as much as I'm cooking...'

Charizard and Hebon's Yanmega helped carry their bags full of tins and vegetables to his pickup truck. Leon politely made conversation with Ruby Jane on the short drive.

'Have you ever taken on any Pokémon Gyms? Your dad's told us all about how strong you are!'

'I have a few Unovan Badges... but it wasn't really for me.'

'Oh, well. There are all kinds of ways to love Pokémon.'

Feet thumping to pop music floated from the house's slightly ajar windows. Leon smiled.

'I hope your lad likes dancing.'

Jazlyn was with Lyric that evening. Before joining Cipher, she was a cheerleader and auditioned to dance for the regional football team, Orre Prospectors. Camden wouldn't let Alfie pass up on the cheerleading class. They both had pom-poms. Leon couldn't help laughing. Alfie was about to give him the middle finger before remembering there were three toddlers present.

Whitby didn't have any close friends. He was painfully shy. Ruby Jane was reluctant to leave him, even for a moment, but Chalcedony couldn't talk to her yet.

'Camden's Arena Trap!' he announced, 'Prevents escape!'

Ruby Jane hoped that if she joined in, Whitby would, too. He tentatively crept to Camden's side. There were no free pom-poms, but Camden shared one of his.

'We're gonna cheer for my dad! He plays football! He's the quar-ter-back!'

It wasn't clear whether Whitby was enjoying himself, or if he even knew whether he was or not, but he clumsily followed his new friends until Camden and Lyric fell asleep on the floor. Whitby accepted the Poké Ball-print blanket Leon offered to him. He fell asleep, too.

Chalcedony was as exhausted as the kids were. Ruby Jane sat at the foot of her bed.

'Wow... this is the goth chamber of my dreams.'

'My dad – Ruhul – painted everything. It was all pine when I bought it.'

'I'm glad you're on good terms with him.'

'Are you? With Ramiro?'

'No... he wants to speak to me, but I'm too embarrassed. And my mom just won't. My adoptive mom, that is. I know Sonia is disappointed in me... but she doesn't want to push me away like her gran did to her. She tolerates me.'

'I had no idea you had a son. I'm guessing this was all the signature "I never had a problem threatening a child?"'

'Partly. But I'm also partly to blame. Whether it was out of stupidity or actually being a dick, I am to blame.'

'I heard Jet's side of the story from Rustie. Or rather the actual story. Unless some of yours was true?'

'I'm the bigger liar, but he's not 100% the saint he claims to be. The reason I had a kid for Ardos to threaten was because Jet didn't want me to leave, so he moved my pills in case it was too late by the time I noticed. But, at the same time, I was obsessed with him. I was like "yeah, I'll marry you and have kids, of course I will." And we'd talked about kids. He knew I wouldn't have an abortion.'

'That's not an excuse for deliberately knocking you up without consent. Assuming you're not lying again, that is.'

'Oh, no. It's on my medical record. I ran up massive medical bills, seeing all kinds of different doctors and counsellors because I didn't know what to do.'

'In that case... Jet is still a massive cock. But how did you get from that to joining Cipher?'

'You've seen Gale of Darkness. You know what Ardos is like. When his half-brother – my dad – wanted nothing to do with Znider, who came to talk to us on his behalf, it was a deeply personal affront that called for revenge.'

'That's the "spy shack" guy, right?'

'Yeah. So he went for me instead. Told me I was adopted and that he knew my dad, who could easily get me my dream job as a casting director, but he'd only help me if I joined Cipher. This is where I'm partly to blame. I knew he was full of shit. But I had a massive argument with my parents when I found out I was adopted. I wanted to get back at them. And I knew I really would get famous if Cipher actually succeeded, even if it was just notoriety.'

'How old were you, though?'

'18. Old enough to know better, really. So I told Jet I was going to Orre. I did lie that it was about cheaper living costs, but he wasn't having any of it. So I told Znider to fuck off. Then he offered Jet a job in the mines, via me. I swear, at that point, I had no idea Rose was running them. I encouraged him to take it because I thought it was a genuinely good opportunity. He still didn't want to go. It wasn't just because of his studies. He was the main attraction at his stupid frat parties where he showed me off like a trophy. Look...'

Ruby Jane wasn't lying. She showed Chalcedony photos of rowdy parties where Jet was clearly enjoying attention from both male classmates and girls who weren't Ruby Jane. She looked deeply uncomfortable.

'He's sounding like a total cock right now.'

'Honestly, to be fair, I can see he really isn't like that anymore. This all forced him to take a good, hard look at himself.'

'How did you convince him to go?'

'I didn't. I told him I had stuff I wanted to do and I wasn't going to hang around for a guy, no matter how much I loved him. I was going whether he was coming or not. First, he proposed, exactly like I told you on the Royal Unova. Then the pregnancy happened. I was pissed and upset about that and the frat parties at this point. So I said I was going anyway. He chose to follow. Sure, I misled him about the job, but if he says he left because of Cipher, he's lying. He might've felt guilty about it later, but back then, he didn't care if he was working for them as long as he was rich and successful. Rose was the problem. And like I said, I swear I had no idea he was involved.'

'The stuff you told me about the apartment and Sunset City... you never saw me in Unovan Idiot, did you? I should've seen that one coming.'

'No! Chalcedony, I swear, I did. I have photos of it! Ramiro is the biggest Blue Night fan, like, ever. He used to listen to the musical cast album all the time. It made me feel like I was at home.'

'I guess I'll find out how you ended up there.'

'I really did stay with Jet's parents. I felt like a homeless person and a fraud, because I knew I was in Cipher's "emergency force," who'd keep the syndicate running even if they went down. And Justy did get us an apartment because I was pregnant. Jet freaked out and threatened to leave when he found out I always knew my job was outright Cipher-ing. We argued every day. I really did want to go home. And it's absolutely true that I turned to sex work to make enough money to get away from the mess I got myself into. I went to Sunset City to get away from Cipher. And Jet, at that point, I guess.'

She sighed. 'I don't know how long he stayed in the mines after I left. We stopped talking. I did feel abandoned by him. I mean, I was pregnant with his kid and he was more interested in feeling morally superior than understanding why I joined Cipher and if I wanted to get out at this point. Because it was my fault that I joined, but it wasn't my fault that I couldn't get out once I realised I'd made a big-ass mistake.'

'Honestly, I don't know if you really can say no to Cipher. Especially if Ardos is involved. Did they follow you to Sunset City?'

'Yeah, because I knew so much, I was a "loose cannon" as long as I was out of sight. I'd had Whitby by then. "Never had a problem threatening a child" was definitely a thing. But Znider made an even bigger boo-boo than I did. He kept his promise. Put me in touch with Randal. Cipher thought he was still on their side, but as soon as I was born, he realised what an idiot he was. So I became a double agent. We waited until we had as much info as much as we could get and then he relayed it all to Alfie. You were in the car by then. I knew there was a small chance Ein and Theta would hurt you, but like I said... I also knew your parents would find you and the lair. And they didn't suspect me, so I was free to use Cipher's network when the satellites went down.'

'Wow.'

'If it's of any consolation... Whitby suffered in all this, too. The people who suffered because of my actions weren't people I didn't care about. Ardos did send me after you, because he suspected you were Fire Agate, but I really, really just wanted us to be normal friends, Chalcedony. I swear. And I liked Dirk and Rustie and Zileh, too. All the shitty things I did when I wasn't under duress... I did because I was a fame-hungry loser. And just like Randal, I know better now. I've paid for it in knowing I'm partly to blame for my son's suffering. And if you don't want to be my friend anymore, I've paid for it with that, too.'

'I'm too tired to hold grudges over the sepsis. It wasn't you who threw me in the sewer, anyway. I guess it might take me a while to trust you again. But all that stuff with Jet... ew. I'm not surprised you're fucked up. And, I mean... I said things I didn't mean to Wyatt. My dad said things he didn't mean to me. And I know my dad and me can be trusted now. So... whatever.'

'You can tell me to fuck off if you want, but I did have a great idea.'

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.4K 192 89
Humans and Pokémon are colonising Mars, but good people aren't the only ones with their eyes on this new world. The first spaceflight of the Ares pro...
499K 21.8K 100
After failing in the Unova League, Ash returns home to get advice before resuming his journey to become a Pokemon master. Now, what happens when some...
1.8K 236 118
What is life like in post-Team Plasma Unova? A young family from Orre is about to find out. Amber is the only Gym Challenger who came close to defeat...
267K 2.8K 53
Pokémon: Champion of Alola-Rise from Betrayal (AshBetrayed) (AureliaShipping) Ash has come back from Kalos after coming in 2nd place. When gets back...