After The I Do's (Complete)

By NonyeUwakwe

But wait oo, how is that my business? "So we have decided that you'll marry Eberechukwu here" I think I heard... More

Author's Note
1
2
3
4
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
Epilogue
Author's Note

5

597 106 12
By NonyeUwakwe

"So you guys have met before?" Kate asked as we ate, looking sincerely excited to know how we met. Her family sat at one side of the table, Godswill first, Kate next then their son. We sat opposite them, with my mum sitting in between Gozie and me, and I was seated directly opposite the guy who was glaring daggers at me, keeping me uncomfortable as I ate. But I pretended not to notice his glares and enjoyed the food.

"Yes we have" I replied "and the food is good ma"

I scooped another spoon of the fried rice and ate slowly, savouring the taste

"Thank you so much." She smiled at me "So how did you meet my son?" She asked.

I looked at her, then around the table and noticed everyone was curious to know. Kazeem just continued eating like he didn't hear the question. After a few minutes of silence, I knew he wasn't going to talk to I decided to take advantage of the situation

"I met him this afternoon, right before I came home. Surprising right?" I asked

"Really?" Kate asked excitedly and I nodded

"Yes" then turning to my brother "Gozie remember that rude idiot I told you about? The one I met at Everyday supermarket?" My brother nodded and I pointed to Kazeem "that's him"

Kazeem dropped his cutleries and glared at me. Wiping his mouth with the napkin on the table, he looked at me "did you just—"

"God he was so rude that I couldn't just help but put him in his place" I interrupted him and he looked surprised at that. "We bumped into each other and he asked me and I quote 'are you fucking blind or something'. I was nice to remind him that he wasn't looking too and it wouldn't hurt to be nice but then, he was still rude and still expected an apology. I couldn't help myself anymore. I lashed out"

If eyes could kill, I know I would have died since because the glare Kazeem is giving me now would surely kill my spirit and destroy my soul.

"So what exactly did you say to him?" His dad asked, looking amused

"Oh nothing much. But it was along the lines of his attitude stinks and him being alone for the rest of his miserable life" I shrugged and took a sip of my juice while my mum choked on her food. She coughed vigorously and I rubbed her back while my brother offered her water to drink which she gulped. Kazeem's parents looked a bit uncomfortable but Kate smiled and continued eating.

After dinner, we headed back to the parlour and sat down. My mum looked like she was about to pass out.

"Mummy are you okay?" Gozie asked and she smiled.

"I'm fine" she replied

"We have something important to discuss with you people" Godswill sat up, getting everyone's attention "Kazeem, your mother and I have decided to help you settle down. You're always sleeping with different girls and we need you to settle down and become responsible"

Looks like he won't have to be single for the rest of his life. Poor girl. But wait oo, how is that my business?

"So we have decided that you'll marry Eberechukwu here"

I think I heard wrongly

"Ehhh?" I asked, my face no doubt full of surprise.

"What? Daddy no. Anyone but her" Kazeem replied

I was tempted to make a daddy joke when he said daddy but this isn't the time.

I turned to my mum who was seriously sweating. If this was a different case, I would have laughed at her but this is a serious matter so I couldn't laugh. After a while, I began laughing. I laughed so hard that my stomach hurt.

"Mummy, what type of joke is this? Abeg ooo" I shook my head

"It's not a joke" my mum replied with all seriousness and the reality of this dawned on me "when your dad was still alive, he arranged with Godswill. That when you're twenty five and there's no man in your life, you'll marry his son"

"I'm not yet twenty five. And I have a boyfriend" I blurted out

"You're almost twenty five Ebby and you don't have a boyfriend. After Solomon, you haven't dated again. You've just been sleeping around and I don't want that for you. I want you to get married and be happy" she replied

When I was dating my ex, I told my mum about him and he met her on few occasions. Everybody was convinced that we would end up together. He made me believe that we would end up together. But then, shit happened and I moved on.

"Getting married doesn't guarantee happiness mum. I'm happy with myself now. I don't need that kind of stress, living with a man, who will be disturbing me every single time. I'm doing well for myself and I don't need a man to make me happy. I don't want to get married" I replied

"Taaar. Shut up. I know you don't need a man to make you happy. I know you're happy with yourself, and I know you don't want to get married. But do you want to continue this life? No boyfriend, no husband. So after sleeping around, what next, go home and feel the loneliness?"

"I won't be lonely. I'll buy a dog. I have friends and I have you and Gozie" I replied, sounding stupid to my own ears cos that wasn't going to convince my mum.

"All these people will be with their own family. All your friends are dating and next thing, they'll be married, I'll die someday and you're talking of buying a dog? As what? Company?" my mum stared at me, daring me to challenge her, and I stared right back.

"I'm not marrying a child," Kazeem said, his veins popping out of his neck and I seriously wanted to poke it with a needle.

He just had to be stupid at this moment where I was in a staring contest with my mum

I scoffed and sent a harsh glare his way "And I'm not marrying an old man. God your hairline is receding and you're nearly bald. Where did your hair start from again?" I asked and everywhere went silent.

That was a lie. He wasn't bald

My brother burst out laughing, followed this parents and my mum stared at me in horror

"But mummy, don't force her to marry him naa" Gozie finally contributed

"She will marry him and that's final" my mum replied

"I'm not marrying her either" Kazeem crossed his hand over his chest

Who does this one want to fight kwanu?

"Yes you will marry her. If you don't, you loose the company and all your inheritance. The wedding is in two months" his father threatened

"What?" Kazeem asked, obviously not believing his ears. I wasn't believing my ears too but we can't do anything about it.

We were just betrayed by our parents

"Ahhh. Please don't do that now. The wedding is too soon" Kate begged her husband

"He has to grow up. Become responsible. All those girls he's galavanting around with are after his money, looking for fame because he's an Oladipo. He can't keep misbehaving, thinking it's all about sex and different women. I'm not going to let my son keep sleeping with whores" Godswill roared

"She sleeps around too so she's a whore" Kazeem shouted

I don't know how it happened or how I moved, but the next thing I knew was that my palm collided with his left cheek. His face fell in the other direction due to the force of the unexpected slap. His hand flew to his cheek as he stared at me in shock. Everywhere went silent. Everyone was shocked, either from his statement or the slap.

"Don't you ever, in this your miserable life call me a whore again" I turned to my mum "so this is who you want me to marry" I laughed "fine. I'll marry him. But then, you people should be prepared to find one or both of us dead"

I walked out of the house, ignoring the calls of my mother and brother. A hand on mine stopped me and I saw it was my brother. He wiped my face and I felt his hand was damp

"Stop crying" he murmured and hugged me.

I didn't even know I was crying. I hugged him back. When he pulled away, he led me to the car and opened the front door for me. I got in and he went around the car and got in.

"Should we go home or your house?" He asked

I shook my head and sighed "I'll go to Doyin's house"

I don't want to be alone right now and I'm sure as hell I don't want to be near my mother

"Okay"

I began to wonder how my mum knew I was sleeping around. I tried keeping it away from her. Yes, all my friends were dating. Doyin has a boyfriend of three years, Thelma and Stanley were dating and now, Ogoo had a girlfriend. And here I am, not in a serious relationship, being forced to marry someone I couldn't stand.

"We're here" my brother shook me to bring me out of my thoughts

"Thanks. I'll be home tomorrow morning" I replied and walked out of the car. I heard him scream a goodnight and I waved at him. I knocked on the gate and the gateman let me pass. I knocked on her door she answered it in her towel.

"Babe whose there?" Tee shouted from inside

I walked in and broke down crying. I was engulfed in a hug and after a while, I felt another person join the hug.

I love my friends

I hope you enjoyed this chapter 😁😁😁😁😁

Guys, I think I'm broken in two..... NYSC has killed me 😭😭😭😭😭😭 and tbh I need a full body massage.

Send help before I die

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.9K 2.2K 57
(NOT EDITED) "I will not be surprised if one day you tell me that you're in love with him" kemi says What this mumu saying now? "yeah sure when pigs...
29K 3.6K 61
Great Job? Check. Husband? Check. Children? Hell no. *** Uyiosa has accomplished all the goals he wants except for one. To become a father. He waits...
175K 3.5K 13
Her heart was beating so fast and her stomach ached so bad. She knew this was it, this was her fate being sealed. " Zhulfah Bint Ilyas? " It would be...
32.1K 2K 21
Siphosethu "She will leave today with you! and we will make sure they get married tomorrow" Me"But I am only 18" My Mother hugged me, she said all sh...