Dill My Pickle (Sample - Firs...

By PaperbackRomances

Elliot Taylor had it all: million-dollar home in Hollywood, dream career, and a smoking hot famous fiancée. B... More

2 Addison
3 Boy Looks Good In Flannel
4 Mind Your Manners
5 Ain't Never Say No To A Party

1 Elliot

1.8K 71 3
By PaperbackRomances

"Is this the only place you're ever going to want to meet for breakfast?"

I glanced up from the mountain of paperwork crowding the small diner table in front of me and smiled up at Austin Johnson, my best friend and, truthfully, my only friend. I pushed my papers back into my briefcase as he sat down across from me and waved the waitress over. I waited for him to order his usual eggs, toast, and sausage links, burnt as he liked them. He could complain about the regularity all he wished. I knew he liked this place just as much as I did.

"Why did you want to meet me?" I asked when he had gotten settled. He looked up at me and shook his head, taking a sip of the coffee I had ordered him before he'd arrived. He sighed after a moment when I kept watching him, leaning back in his seat and looking over at me.

"I need your help, Elliot." It was phrased like a request even though we both knew that I would do it. Whatever it was. I sat back in my own seat and nodded for him to continue, "It's Jenny. It's her family. They have this farmhouse down in Lynnville. It's been in their family for generations. They-"

"Lynnville?"

He smiled, "I forget you aren't from around here, California boy. Lynnville is a town an hour south of here. It's real rural. It's where Jenny grew up. Anyway, they have this farmhouse there. It's run by her two older brothers and an older sister and whatever friends they have hired on as farmhands for the season. We go visit quite a bit. But there's this other family. The Moores. I know it might sound ridiculous to you but southern family feuds, they're real, and that's what Jenny's family has with the Moores. So Ray Moore, he's the head of the family, he figured out that Jenny's parents' will wasn't done right. They died a couple of years ago in a car accident and the kids all inherited the farm. Or so they thought. But apparently their parents never put that in writing and now they've got a local lawyer saying they have to leave the farmhouse their family has owned for generations."

I listened to Austin as he spoke, sipping my coffee and nodding my head in encouragement. When he had finished, I set my mug down and took a breath.

"I'm no estate attorney," I told him then. "Nor do I specialize in property law."

His face fell, "But you can do it, right? I mean, you graduated top of your class. Please, man. This is Jenny."

I watched him then. He was leaning forward, pleading. I had seen Austin go through his fair share of girls. He always fell for them, hard, and they always ended up hurting him and yet somehow his trust had never wavered. Jenny had been different. Austin had met her when he moved here to Nashville and they had been together for some months now. I did not know Jenny well, having just moved to the area and met her myself, but I knew what she did to Austin. He was putty in her hands and, normally, that would be cause for concern but with Jenny I didn't worry. She was perhaps the sweetest, bubbliest girl I had ever met and her positive attitude and confidence had rubbed off on Austin in exactly the ways I had hoped it would. He was taking more chances than he ever had, going after his dreams and planning a stable future. He seemed to be having more fun than I had seen him have in years and I could tell that he was in love just by the way he spoke her name. So how could I deny him this?

"I will meet with them," I told him and his lips spread into a wide grin at the promise. "But in a consulting capacity only. I will review this Ray Moore's case against them and tell them their chances of winning. I will try to find someone who specializes in property law but-"

"See, the thing is," Austin interrupted then, rubbing the back of his neck with his hand, "they don't exactly have the money to hire a lawyer."

I raised a brow at him, "So I'm doing this pro bono?"

He smiled, "You owe me, right?"

"For what?"

"Hey, who found your apartment and signed your lease only weeks ago so you could move right in from California and have your own place?"

I sighed. I couldn't argue with him there. When I had called Austin to tell him that I needed out of California for good and was considering moving out to Nashville with him for a fresh start, he hadn't even questioned it. In all honesty, I don't know that I could have made the move so quickly or so easily. I had needed an out and he had given it to me. I owed him at least this much in return. Especially since Jenny herself had played such a large part in readying my apartment before my arrival.

I leaned back in my chair and considered it. I hadn't hit my firm's pro bono quota for the quarter and, being the new guy, I couldn't afford to ruffle any feathers at work. It would look nice to claim I helped some farmers keep their land and I would be even with Austin once again. Finally, I nodded.

"I'll work their case," I told him. "But I can't promise they'll win."

"They just need someone on their side, Elliot. They just need someone to fight for them."

The way he was smiling at me made me think he would do it himself if he could. I wondered if there was anything in this world that Austin wouldn't do for Jenny. Just as quickly as the thought entered my mind, I found myself wondering what that was like. I had never had anything like that. I thought I had, once, but I hadn't. Not truly. I really believed this man would take a bullet for his woman if, of course, taking a bullet was something that one had the speed and agility to actually do which I suspected seriously he did not. Still, the willingness itself was something to marvel at.

"Jenny can take you over later this morning," Austin told me, draining the last of his coffee and taking the last bite of his eggs. "Your office lets you go on client meetings, don't they?"

"They do. Though they usually aren't an hour away."

"Eleven. In front of our apartment. She'll be waiting. Now, I gotta go. Wish me luck."

"Good luck man," I told him, reaching out to fist bump him as he gathered his things. "Though you don't need it. You're going to kill this interview."

He smiled at me one last time before dropping some cash for his bill onto the table and heading out the door. I watched him go, silently wishing him luck as he climbed into his truck and sped off.

Austin had been wanting to get into the music industry since college but he never had because he didn't think he could. Until Jenny, that is. She had somehow managed to show him what I never could. That he was an insanely talented musician with a keen eye for other talent and the passion that made a great manager. So he had moved to Nashville with the hopes of landing a gig with one of the prominent music labels there. When his job search fizzled out after a few weeks, he had given up and stuck with a few gigs playing music at some local bars. But then he'd met Jenny and a few months later, he was back to interviewing with some of the biggest labels in Nashville.

I packed my papers more tidily into my suitcase and headed out to my own car outside needing to get to the office earlier than I anticipated now that I would need to be leaving at eleven to handle this situation. I drove downtown and pulled up outside one of the newer skyscrapers in this growing city. I tossed my keys to the valet and gave him a nod as I met another attorney, William Lewis, as he entered the building as well. We chatted briefly about the basketball game on television last night before the conversation shifted to another case that we had both been assigned to. William followed me all the way to my office talking about the case and took a seat across from me as I sat down and logged into my computer.

We spent the better part of the morning discussing the case we shared and the best way to approach it. Mr. Lewis was one of the strongest researchers I had ever met and he had already found several similar cases for our review.

"Mr. Taylor," my receptionist interrupted finally after a few hours spent in our impromptu meeting. "You have a call from the Harper Association. They wanted to thank you for your excellent handling of their account. They're pleased with the closing."

"Thank you, Mackenzie, I'll call them back."

She nodded and smiled brightly as she closed the door to my office and returned to her desk just outside. William watched her go and then turned back to me when she was gone, smiling broadly.

"When did you hire that one?"

"Mackenzie? Last week. Jade left. Went back to school for her paralegal degree."

It fell silent for a minute. I looked up to see William smiling at me.

"What?" I asked.

"Where do you find these girls?"

"These girls?"

"Hot ones. Jade was stunning but this one, I mean what are you, Taylor? Some sort of magnet for hot women? You've got them vying for the position of your receptionist. Not to mention that model ex-fiance of yours."

"Excuse me?"

I could hear the barely restrained anger in my voice. William seemed to hear it as well if his widening eyes and open mouth were any indication. He sat up straighter in his chair and cleared his throat.

"I mean, you know, some of the guys found some articles online about your practice in California. Clarissa McKay. I mean... she's huge. She's been in Vogue, you know, and Sports Illustrated... I mean, you know that. Of course you know that. And I didn't... hey... I mean what she did to you, that's not cool man. I mean, of course it isn't. I-"

"Get out."

"Yeah," William jumped to his feet and headed toward the door. He paused when he reached it and turned back to me apologetically. "Listen man, I'm sorry. I didn't mean anything by it."

"I know, William. But get out."

He nodded and wrenched open the door, slamming it behind him on his way out. I stood from my desk, feeling overcome by a rage I hadn't felt since I left California. I clenched my fists, released them, clenched them again. It wasn't helping. I closed my eyes and breathed out through my nose and counted to ten. That wasn't helping either. So I picked up my briefcase and threw it against the wall. That helped significantly. At least until my door swung open and Mackenzie was standing there, mouth open and eyes staring wildly from my briefcase to me. I cleared my throat, brushed back my hair, and straightened my collar. Then I grabbed my jacket and headed toward the door.

"Hold my calls and cancel my meetings, Mackenzie," I said as I breezed past her into the hall, pulling on my suit jacket as I went. "I'm meeting with a client."

She nodded emphatically and ran to her desk to answer the ringing phone. I stormed through the hallways making my way back to the lobby. A few people waved in greeting as I passed but then started to catch on that I wasn't in the mood and simply stepped out of my way instead. I was seething as I made my way out of the building and asked the valet to fetch my car.

I had not heard Clarissa's name since I moved here. I had been very careful to filter out any social media or news featuring her name. I did not want to know about it. I had blocked her from my phone and even forced Austin to do the same and, when she had begun to email me begging to work things out, I had blocked her email as well. I'd even considered deleting my own and getting a whole new one but I was determined not to let her affect my life more than she already had. She had already driven me out of California and a job I loved. I would not let her take anything else from me. Not again.

"Elliot!" someone shouted and I turned to see Meredith Scott waving at me from where she hung halfway out of her brand new Porsche. I sighed and pasted on a smile for the most ridiculous partner this firm had to boast of before I made my way over to her. She straightened up as I approached, fixing her sunglasses so that they were properly mounted on her nose and not tangled in her hair like they were when she first arrived. She set down her shopping bags and I noted Ralph Lauren and Tommy Hilfiger. She beamed at me over the rim of her expensive shades. "What are you doing out here? You're usually here much earlier than I am. What-"

"Your car, sir," the valet said, handing me my keys. I turned to see my Lexus parked just ahead in the loop. I thanked him and turned back to Meredith. She looked from the car to me.

"Are you leaving?" she asked. "Already?"

"I'm heading out to see a client."

"I see. What a pity. I was hoping you and I could grab lunch."

"If my client hadn't already booked my lunch, I would be glad to go with you Meredith but, my apologies, they are waiting for me."

I turned around and headed for my car, distinctly aware of her middle aged eyes on my ass. I rolled my eyes and climbed into the driver's seat. I turned the key and headed off toward Austin and Jenny's apartment. Meredith Scott had been trying to seduce me since my first day at this firm and, while some lesser men may have fallen for her deep pockets and silicone breasts, it wasn't my style. She was a partner and therefore demanded some form of my respect but that amount was becoming less and less each time she stopped by my office to flirt, watched me walk away, or invited me to a private lunch. As tiresome as her pursuit was becoming, it was still preferable to what I left behind in California.

Jenny was already outside when I arrived, packing a cooler into the back of her tiny Prius. The cooler was fairly large and her backseat definitely was not so she was struggling to get it in, leaning against it with her whole hundred and twenty pounds. I parked my car and locked it, jogging forward to help. She smiled up at me when I approached and greeted me with that familiar, unwaveringly positive tone.

"Elliot!" she burst as I gave a firm shove and the cooler slid easily into the seat. She threw her arms around me and I returned the hug despite her car keys digging into my shoulder. "It's so good to see you! Thank you so much for helping out with this. It really means the world. If you're ever in the need of some fresh eggs, hit me up."

I laughed as we separated and she climbed into the driver's seat. I joined her in the passenger's seat, banging my knee on the glove compartment of the tiny compact as she started it up and drove away. Her phone was plugged into the dash but only for music. There was no GPS in sight. I supposed she didn't need it, knowing her way home well enough. But I had hoped to catch a glimpse of where we were headed.

"So, what's with the cooler?" I asked after a few minutes. She smiled over at me.

"My brother insists on giving me practically a whole cow's worth of beef every time I come visit. Last time my car smelled like meat for days. This time, I'm coming prepared."

I laughed at that, "So you grew up there? In Lynnwood?"

"Lynnville," she corrected kindly, still smiling, always smiling. "I sure did. It's a small town. Just about three hundred in population, and all spread out with farms. It's got nothing on the city, of course, but it's home and it's where family is."

Suddenly she tapped a finger on the wheel nervously.

"That's why this is so important," she told me. "The farmhouse is everything to them. It's their lives, it's their livelihood. They didn't get out like I did. They didn't want to. And I respect that. I always have. I know if we lost the house Addison would be okay but I worry about the boys. Farming is their life. It's all they've ever known. And they're damn good at it. Excuse my cursing."

Her cheeks flushed pink in surprise at her own choice of words and I couldn't help but smile. Jenny Harris was every bit the southern belle. She was sweet and charming with the classic accent and the sundresses to boot. I could see why Austin had such an eye for her. Her bubbly attitude was contagious and her generosity knew no bounds. I sat back in my seat and watched her as she bobbed her head to the song on the radio. I had to admit, pacific coaster that I was, I was curious to see what sort of environment bred this type of girl.

"I'll do what I can, Jenny," I assured her as gently as I could manage, "But I'm not making any promises. I'm not sure what sort of claims this other attorney is making and, until I can see the papers-"

"I know," she told me, shooting another smile in my direction. "But I appreciate the help all the same."

"Any time," I told her and I actually meant it.

I wasn't exactly sure what I should be expecting from the fabled farmhouse but I couldn't have pictured it any more stereotypically if I tried. As Jenny's little Prius turned into the dirt drive and dust flew up around us on all sides, my eyes swept over the charming white plantation style house with a wraparound porch and screened in windows. The land stretched out farther than I could see in any direction. On my right, cattle grazed the fields. On my left, a garden of a dozen different crops bloomed. And in the back, closer to the house, were a large red barn like something out of the movies and a wired in chicken coop beside it. As we neared the end of the long drive and approached the house, I saw four men sitting outside on lawn chairs, feet kicked up on plastic coolers, beers in hand as they laughed heartily at some unheard joke. Three out of the four wore flannel and the remaining one wore a pair of dark overalls. So, I thought as Jenny put the car in park, this was small town America. I looked around at the sprawling fields on either side of me. This was as small as it gets.

"Come on," Jenny said excitedly as her hand reached for the handle. "I'll introduce you."

She leapt from the car then, slamming the door behind her. I opened my own and climbed out as well, feeling very much out of place in my tailored Armani suit which I subconsciously buttoned as I stood upright.

"Jenny!" one of the men called excitedly. I didn't see which as I came around to the other side of the car. She ran forward and threw her arms around the first one, the tallest one. He smiled down at her as he lifted her into his arms so that her feet left the ground. She giggled when he sat her down and she turned to the one who looked just like the first with the same facial structure but longer, curlier hair. Hair the color of Jenny's, I realized suddenly. That same golden chestnut. These must be her brothers. She turned to the other two and hugged them each in turn. One was tall and lanky with bright red hair and the other was short and stout with a thick black beard to match his unruly hair but they both smiled broadly at Jenny as she embraced them, welcoming her home in mumblings as they did.

"Oh!" Jenny said as she separated and turned to me having remembered my presence. I took that as my cue to approach and did so smiling. "This is Elliot, Austin's best friend. He's a lawyer and he's agreed to take a look at those papers Clark gave you. Elliot, these are my brothers Wesley and Sawyer. And these are our friends Knox and Wyatt."

I nodded, committing them to memory as best I could. Wesley, tall brother. Sawyer, shorter curly haired brother. Knox, red haired lanky guy. And Wyatt, chubby bearded man.

"So nice to meet you all," I said, holding out a hand. Wesley and Sawyer exchanged a glance before reaching out to shake it. They smiled at me warmly enough but I sensed the mistrust behind their expressions.

"Nice to meet you too Mr. Taylor," Wesley said in his thick accent. "Jenny's told us to be expectin' you. Mighty kind of you to take a look at our situation here. We'd be pleased as punch if you could find us a way out of our predicament."

I blinked at him, brain working agonizingly slowly to decode all he had just said to me.

"Well Mr. Harris," I answered then. "I do intend to do just that."

"If you're hungry, Addie's just about done with lunch. Made enough for the four of us so I imagine if Wyatt can share his usually larger portion you're welcome to join," Sawyer said. Jenny smiled.

"Watch it Sawyer!" Wyatt shouted back. "Ain't my fault you never learned to eat enough to grow to a right proper height. This ain't fat, it's muscle, you know. And the ladies love it."

"Sure," Knox scoffed. "Gives 'em something to hold onto."

The men all laughed at the raunchy joke and I was surprised to see Jenny join in. My eyes wandered over the farmland as their banter continued and suddenly froze on the beautiful wraparound porch of the old farmhouse. But it wasn't the porch that had me mesmerized.

It was the woman standing upon it, leaning out over the rails and watching us with a sort of disdain on her face that made me think I wasn't the only one feeling out of place here. She had just exited the house, the door was still swinging behind her, and her gorgeous chestnut hair was blowing gently in the breeze at her back. Her long legs were visible beneath her frayed jean shorts and the barest hint of her midriff was exposed beneath her light cotton tank. As my eyes travelled up to her face, they took in the full, pouted lips and the dazzling green eyes which I realized, suddenly, were locked right onto mine, scrutinizing me with every bit of suspicion. Still, I did not look away. I couldn't. I was mesmerized by the sight of her in a way I had never been before. I thought that she was perhaps the most breathtakingly beautiful woman I had ever seen and I knew, just from that brief glimpse of her, that the image of her on that porch was something that I would never forget. It would haunt me for the rest of my days.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

65.7K 2.5K 46
This isn't the story of how the city girl fell for the cowboy, oh no, this story was how the city boy fell for the home grown country girl. Harper w...
685K 11.6K 32
"Oh god," I made little gasping sounds, unable to stop my eyes from rereading the note again and again."This can't be happening." Love conquers all...
83K 4.6K 81
This cover is made by the lovely @mauachka. Thank you, hun. The wind picked up, sweeping my hair around his face. It's shielding us from the crazy w...
50.4K 1.5K 31
After enduring years of abuse, Ali finally had enough. She packed everything she could and left her ex to start a new life with her four-year-old son...