The Run (SAMPLE)

By AmberLeeH13

{SAMPLE} Rae has been given responsibility from a young age. After her mother's death and her father's abando... More

C h a p t e r O n e
C h a p t e r T w o
C h a p t e r T h r e e
C h a p t e r F o u r
C h a p t e r F i v e
C h a p t e r S i x
C h a p t e r S e v e n
C h a p t e r E i g h t
C h a p t e r N i n e
C h a p t e r T e n
C h a p t e r T w e l v e
C h a p t e r T h i r t e e n
Where the rest?!?
I Apologize.

C h a p t e r E l e v e n

211K 8.5K 1.1K
By AmberLeeH13

© Amber Kalkes 2015

Song: "Naked As We Came" By Iron & Wine

C h a p t e r E l e v e n >

Rae comes into consciousness to the sensation of something tickling her arm and a light humming noise. Opening her eyes she sees a small figure sitting on the edge of her bed drawing on her arm. Using her free hand she wipes the sleep from her eyes before turning back to the small figure.

Poppy looks up at her over the tops of her glasses and gives Rae a quick smile before going back to her doodle. Glancing down at her arm Rae notices purple marker drawn flowers going up her forearm. Rae watches Poppy for a few minutes not wanting to ruin her masterpiece and wonders where the hell Colton is.

Something akin to him either being chased out of the house with pitchforks or being tied up and gagged in the basement come to mind but she quickly disregards them. Jace and Hudson are simply too lazy to put that much effort into anything that elaborate. The next thought is of him going to see Alpha Kendrick by himself but she tries not to jump to conclusions. No matter how easy it is to assume she doesn’t want to make it a habit in her relationship with him. It usually only leads to trouble.

“Okay, all done.” Poppy says simply as she puts the cap back on her marker.

Inspecting it Rae asks, “What inspired the drawing session today?”

Poppy shrugs, “I saw some pretty flowers outside my window today.”

“Ah.” Rae nods before frowning. “Where’s Cassidy?”

“Eating breakfast.”

Rae nods still wondering where the hell Colton is.

“Your boyfriend is making her breakfast.” Poppy adds after a second.

“My b-boyfriend?”

Poppy pushes up her glasses before nodding. “Yup. He’s really nice. He said he would make her breakfast if she didn’t wake you up. Cassidy wasn’t too sure about him at first but I told her he didn’t look like a robber. He looked more like a teddy bear because you were cuddling up with him like one.”

Rae feels her face get hot at the cuddling bit but quickly sat up. She scurried out of bed and was about to rush out of her room when she realized she should probably freshen up a bit. Running into her bathroom quickly she brushes her teeth and washes her face before running a brush through her hair. It’s all hopefully subtle things but as soon as she’s finished she realizes how unprepared she feels for the inevitable meeting.

Inside she’s really just forcing her impending panic attack to the side. She doesn’t have time to have a heart attack right now. For all she knows he’s down they’re alone with Cassidy who more than likely is digging in his mouth to see how big his teeth are. Rae knows how she is mostly due to the fact she pulled a similar expedition earlier this week.

“Come on, lets go see what the teddy bear is doing down there.” Rae says as she offers Poppy’s hand.

“I told you, Rae he’s making breakfast.”

Rae rolls her eyes, “Well let’s make sure he’s not burning the place down.”

Poppy takes her hand with a sigh and they both leave her room. As soon as they start descending the stairs Rae hears Cassidy laughing. This is coupled with the smells of eggs, cinnamon and bread along with Colton’s own personal scent. Rae feels a bit of relief knowing that he’s still here as she moves down the last few remaining steps.

Poppy lets go of Rae’s hand and runs ahead into the kitchen as Rae starts playing with the hem of her t-shirt. There’s a fear lingering in her head that maybe this nice guy act was just until he got her acceptance. Maybe now in the morning light he’ll decide she doesn’t need to come with to the Alpha’s house or choose how to continue this mating.

A larger part of her knows that that isn’t what’ll happen but she can’t help that held long fear in her heart. She doesn’t want it to be an act or a way for him to just sweeten her up before showing his real personality. With all these doubts swirling in her head she doesn’t hear anyone approaching her until a warm hand lands on her shoulder. Letting out a squeak she jumps nearly out of her skin.

“Calm down!” Jace chuckles with his hands up in surrender. “I didn’t mean to scare you but I did assume you were going to hear me. You are the one with the heightened senses.”

Unsurprisingly Jace is shirtless with nothing more than plaid pants on. His red shaggy hair is a mess on the top of his head as he grins at her. He looks a bit tired and she doesn’t need to guess why. Underage or not the kids always drink at the equinox parties and Jace now being sixteen is no different.

Giving him a quick dry look she runs a hand down her face with a groan, “Sorry, I was deep in thought.”

“I could see that. What about?”

“Do it again!” Cassidy shrieks from the kitchen making both of them turn towards the room.

Jace frowns at the kitchen door, “Who is she in there with?”

“Colton.”

“Your mate Colton?” Jace asks in surprise.

Rae nods while chewing her lower lip. “Apparently Cassidy blackmailed him into making her breakfast.”

“Ow. I feel so replaced.”

Rae smiles at her brother’s wounded look. “Don’t worry you’ll always be her favorite chef.”

“Until she finds a mate.”

“Even then I’m sure she’ll always ask you to make her grilled cheese. Apparently no one else makes it like you do.”

Jace snorts, “Damn right no one else does. So how did it go last night?”

“Good.” She admits with a goofy smile. “He’s really nice.”

“Does he know about our situation.”

“Of course. Its not like I can hide you guys from him besides I wouldn’t want to. He’s going to be part of this family too, Jace. I want him to love you guys as much as I do.”

Jace makes a face, “Don’t you think that’s a little much to ask from him?”

“I’m not asking him to love you guys. I’m just hoping. Can’t I just be optimistic?”

“Sure you can.” Jace nods. “I just don’t think it’s healthy.”

Rolling her eyes Rae decides to change the subject, “Did Cleo get back okay?”

“Back in one piece but she’ll be feeling like hell today.” Jace says with a overly pleased expression. “She was pushing the limit with me last night, Rae. I can’t imagine how pissed you must be at her.”

“I’m not really.” Rae says quietly.

“What? How are you not pissed as hell at her?”

“She’s having a hard time, Jace. I can’t just—“

“She’s having a hard time?” He repeats like the words are dirty. “News flash Rae, We’re all having a hard time! None of us are okay and guess what, we’re never going to be okay but that doesn’t give her a pass to act the way she does.”

“I know that but—“

“No ‘buts’ Rae. She needs to have some damn sense knocked into her and if you keep letting her do this shit then so do you!”

“Is there a problem?”

Both Jace and Rae turn at the sound of the curt voice. Rae’s wolf howls in her head as she takes in Colton standing outside the kitchen. He’s still shirtless with his arms crossed over his bare chest as he glares at her younger brother. His eyes aren’t blue right now though, they’re the yellow of his wolf telling Rae he’s not happy about Jace’s tone.

“This really isn’t any of your business.” Jace tells him flatly.

Rae winces at his choice of words before shifting her gaze to Colton again. Colton runs his tongue over his teeth before a cold smirk comes across his face. Dropping his crossed arms to his side she sees them still locked into fists as he approaches the two of them. Her body reacts immediately to his proximity but she tries to keep herself from focusing on the incoming disaster and not on her hormones.

“It becomes my business when you start threatening my mate.”

Jace frowns, “Threatening?”

“Uh, Jace, why don’t you go check on the girls in the kitchen.” Rae suggests putting her hands on Colton’s chest when he takes a step forward. When Jace hesitates she adds a quick, “Now.”

Jace narrows his eyes at Colton before moving past them to enter the kitchen. Once the door swings closed behind him Rae drops her hands off his chest to smush her face with the palm of her hand with a groan. She feels Shocks go up her arm when Colton grabs her wrist and lowers her hand so he can look at her. Scanning over her face he frowns at her.

“You’re upset.”

“Well you kind of did just have a stand off with my brother.” She tells him dryly.

Colton drops his head and sighs deeply, “I’m sorry. I don’t know why I acted that way. I forget how it can be between siblings sometimes.”

“Your wolf was just trying to protect me, I get that.”

“You’re very understanding.” He tells her with a small smile.

Rae scoffs, “I have to raise five siblings, I kind of have to be.”

Taking her hand in his he lifts her arm and uses his fingers to trace one of the flowers on her arm, “Nice artwork.”

“Poppy is the artistic one in the family.”

“I tried to get her to come down here with me but she promised she’d behave so I let her be.” Colton says as his fingers dance up her arm and making goosebumps rise on her skin, “She didn’t wake you did she?”

Rae shakes her head as her breathing speeds up, “No. I think I just noticed you were gone.”

“Miss me did you?” He smiles looking pleased.

Despite her red cheeks she sticks her tongue out at him before muttering, “Arrogant ass.”

His grin only widens, “I’m sorry what was that? I didn’t hear you.”

“You are an arrogant ass.” She says slowly.

Rae lets out a shriek that turns into laughter as he suddenly throws her over his shoulder. A smack on her butt has her shrieking again before she starts pounding her fists on his back. He doesn’t let her down though. Instead he just moves towards the kitchen with what she assumes to be a triumphant smile on his face.

“Colt why do you have Rae on your back?” She hears Cassidy ask with what sounds like a full mouth.

“Because he’s an arrogant ass.” Rae mutters knowing that no one but Colton can hear her.

Colton chuckles before smacking her butt again making her cry out. His voice turns sugary sweet as he answers Cassidy though, “Well, Honey, Rae was saying naughty words out there and naughty words are never okay.”

“Is butt a naughty word?” Cassidy asks after a second.

“No.” Colton answers with laughter in his voice.

“What about poop?”

“Nope.”

“What about freak?”

“Depends on the context.” Colton answers after a second of thought.

Cassidy is silent for a second before asking, “What about fuck?”

“Cassidy Lenore Applebee!” Rae gasps as she her stomach starts to churn at being upside down so long. It’s only made worse by the fact that Colton’s body shaking with laughter. Rae hits his back with a loud smack of her hand. “Tell her it’s a bad word Colton or I swear to god—“

“Sorry, honey that is a very bad word.”

“Well then why does everyone keep saying it?” Cassidy asks innocently.

“Because they’re older.” Poppy replies smartly.

“So when I’m older I can say it?”

Jace steps in then, “Maybe.”

“Jace!” Rae yells.

“Or maybe not.” Jace corrects.

Rae smacks Colton’s back again, “Okay now you need to put me down.”

“But I like the view.”

“You won’t for much longer if I puke down your back.”

Still laughing Colton slowly lets Rae back onto her bare feet. She stumbles a bit as her blood starts returning to the rest of her body in a rush and Colton steadies her. Smiling down at her adoringly Colton brushes some of her hair out of her face. All her earlier annoyance drains out of her body making her annoyed all over again. It’s not fair that she can’t stay mad at him or even remember why she was mad in the first place.

“Better?” He asks.

“Much.” She sighs before looking over her shoulder at what everyone’s eating. “Is that French toast?”

“Special recipe that one.” Colton tells her as he pulls her by her waist against him. “Maybe if you’re nice I’ll tell you what’s in it.”

“Well if you did tell me it’d be a waste. I can barely boil water in a pot. Jace is the real chef in this house.”

Colton looks over at her brother inspecting one of the pieces of French toast with a keen eye before smirking at her, “Well that’s interesting.”

“I guess.” She agrees with a confused look having no idea where he’s going with this. “Anyway, thanks for making the girl’s breakfast.”

“My pleasure.”

“Can you guys move this little love fest into the hallway?” Jace asks with a dull look. “You’re going to make me hurl.”

“Shut up pipsqueak.” Rae says quickly, not taking her eyes off Colton who looks amused. Then she frowns and turns her head, “Where’s Hudson?”

Jace shrugs as he brings his glass of orange juice to his mouth, “I don’t know. I’m pretty sure I was told not even five seconds ago to shut up.”

“Jace, don’t make me three name you. Where’s your brother?”

“Where he always is.” Jace tells her with an eye roll. “He’s out running.”

“Again?”

“Basketball training I guess.” He shrugs, again.

“Huh.” She grunts before turning back to Colton, “Are we still going to see the Alpha this morning?”

“You sure you still want to come.”

“Yes.”

Colton nods, “Then yes. We’ll leave in about a half an hour. Will you ready by then?”

Rae rolls her eyes, “Thanks for the question but it only takes me fifteen minutes to get ready.”

“See?” He says with a wink. “I knew you were a keeper.”

“Gag.” Jace drawls from behind her.

“Is that a bad word?” Cassidy asks.

Rae drops her head on Colton’s chest. Well, it could have gone worse.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

A double update! How lucky you guys are! This story has been one of my favorite ones to right so I can't even say this is a trail for me. Besides your guy's reactions really inspire me to get these chapters out to you sooner. So Colton met part of the family, he still has to meet a sober Cleo and Hudson. I guess we'll do the Alpha meeting next chapter. I kind of wanted this to just be a fun little chapter :}

The house------}

VOTE, COMMENT AND FOLLOW :}

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.9K 263 32
Legends of werewolves have gone back centuries. Always including the Moon Goddess and her blessing of soulmates to the beings she created. But the ug...
82 6 6
Willow has had a hard life, she's done her best to survive on her own after her parents and pack are brutally murdered by a group of feral wolves. Sh...
417K 12.9K 31
*BOOK WRITTEN WHEN I WAS 13 THERE ARE A LOT OF MISSPELLS AND A LOT OF THINGS WRONG WITH IT. PLEASE TRY TO KEEP RUDE COMMENTS ABOUT THE BOOK TO YOURSE...
4.4K 349 37
*Mature content within* '' Even if it means killing my own mate, I will get my revenge.'' ---- ----- She's the reason that there is an obligated cur...