The Bane of the Empire

By AnnyVirdi

The world is ruled by a tyrant King. The Old King was killed and with him the magic that coursed through the... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 1.2
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 4.2
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9.1
Chapter 9.2
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16.1
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19.1
Chapter 19.2
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 21.5
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33.1
Chapter 33.2
Chapter 34

Chapter 16.2

1.5K 111 3
By AnnyVirdi

She woke as a gentle breeze touched her cheek. It cascaded over her skin and she snuggled deeper into the warm bed. There was a weight over her waist. As she slipped out of her dreamless state, she realized that the breeze was actually Luke's breath as he slumbered behind her. Her back was pressed against his front, their legs tangled and his arm lazily thrown over her waist. She could feel the rise and fall of his chest and hear his low snores near her ear.

Trying to quietly slip out of his hold, Dawn pushed his arm back. Luke tightened his hold and pulled her firmly back against his chest. His arm had risen and was dangerously close to her breasts. Still asleep, he repositioned her against him until one of his legs moved between hers and his gentle breaths brushed against her neck. The flush on her cheeks flared and it felt like a fire had burst under her skin.

She had never been held so intimately by a man before. The hand under her breasts began to move, caressing the skin through the thin linen night gown she wore. The heat grew to an inferno, if he was awake he would have felt how hot her skin had become.

"L-Luke," she stammered. But he only groaned, the vibrations of his chest sending a foreign shiver through her body.

"Luke, wake up." She tried again and thankfully this brought him out of his explorative slumber. But as he woke, he stretched against her and the foreign shiver returned, terminating at the tips of her fingers.

He fell back against the bed and ran his fingers through his hair. The signs of exhaustion were gone and he turned his head to smile at her.

"Good morning"

"Good morning," she replied. A smile of her own gracing her lips.

"Ready to show me your skills on horseback?" Luke jested but a burst of excitement coursed through her.

"Yes."

She stretched her arms over her head and pointed her toes, doing her morning stretches. She grabbed the dressing gown she had discarded in the night, tying the sash she turned to Luke. He removed the linen shirt he wore to sleep and she watched as the muscles in his back rippled at the motion. The same foreign shiver returned and this time it went down to her stomach.

"Do you have riding clothes?" He asked, still turned away from her and rummaging through a drawer.

It took her a moment to respond and when she did she grimaced at her stammer.

"Y-yes, in my chamber."

He pulled a shirt over his head and she watched his shoulders flex as the fabric covered his physique. She wanted to rest her hand against the muscle and feel as he moved. He turned around and smiled, oblivious to her lewd thoughts.

"Come down to the stables. I will get our mounts ready."

She nodded and before he could notice the tint of her cheeks, she slipped out of his chambers and up to her own. Closing the heavy door behind her, she leaned against the cool wood.

What was happening to her?

Quickly stepping out of her night gown, she slipped her legs through her riding pants and pulled the tunic and vest over her head. Tightening the leather closures of her vest, she could feel every fibre of the fabric against her skin. Her breasts were sensitive to every brush of linen and when she tightened the vest, it felt constricting for the first time in her life.

Splashing cold water on her face, she looked at her reflection. Her hazel eyes looked darker and her skin was perpetually flushed. Leaning over the dish, she breathed in and out.

Luke was waiting for her. He wore dark navy riding pants and a crips white linen shirt with a matching navy vest. The leather closures were left loose so the small expanse of skin at his collar was visible. She gulped.

"Bad news," He admitted. "There is only one horse available."

He tugged on the reins of the mount that stood beside him. He was a magnificent animal, his champagne coat freshly brushed and a saddle strapped to his back.

"Do you want to ride with me?"

She did not answer right away. Dawn had been looking forward to riding again. And the last thing we wanted was to ride without controlling the reins.

A snort and the sound of hooves caught her attention and peering around Luke she saw a buckskin stallion locked in one of the stalls.

"What about him?" Dawn asked and walked into the stables. The black stallions of the royal guard were housed on the opposite side but this mount stood alone, separate from the rest.

"He doesn't appear to be assigned to anyone," She commented as she neared his stall. The horse stopped his huffing when he saw her approaching. But he was a wild one, stomping his hooves and trying to lunge for her when he was near.

"He hasn't been broken in yet. The stable master says he is too wild for the guards and won't suit anyone else." Dawn turned to Luke, hearing this.

"What will happen to him?"

Luke gave her a sad smile. "Unruly mounts are either sold or..."

She understood what Luke meant. Turning to the horse, who appeared to be giving her a supercilious look, she raised her hand. He snapped forward and she drew her hand back. He let out a mocking snort and dug at the dirt with his hooves. She arched her brow, so he was this kind of unruly horse.

Looking around she spotted a saddle that appeared to fit him. Grabbing it and a blanket in her other hand she unlatched the stall and stepped inside.

"Dawn! Get out of there right now! Even the stable master was unable to get a saddle on him."

She ignored him and threw the blanket and saddle over the stall door.

"Now look here," She began with an unyielding tone, looking directly at the stallion. "I was really looking forward to riding today and since you are the only horse left, it will have to be you."

He snorted and turned his head, mocking her with his indifference. She grabbed the edge of the blanket and threw it over his back. He bucked and Dawn fell back against the stall door.

"Dawn!" Luke called again and grabbed the latch to open the door.

"No! That will only enable him."

"You will get hurt! I don't care about the bloody animal." Luke asserted.

The animal in question appeared to take that to heart because he bit at Luke until he jumped back. Snorting and stomping his hooves in triumph.

"You are an arrogant horse." Dawn said and picked the blanket up off the ground. She shook off the dirt and tried again. Only this time she stretched her hand out and tried to ease his arrogant personality. He watched her hand as she drew closer. He huffed but surprisingly let her place her small hand on his neck.

"See, that wasn't too bad." It looked like he was looking at her with narrowed eyes. She let out a chuckle and he snorted. But this was different and running her hand along his neck and to his back she kept her eyes on him as he watched her. Laying the blanket over his back she anticipated another strong buck from his hind legs but he stood tall and in place.

"Good boy," She praised and gave him a congratulatory pat.

"Unbelievable," Luke commented and she gave him a cocky grin. The horse snorted too and looking back, her grin was mirrored in his stance. She chuckled and ran her hand along his neck.

"What shall I call you?" She asked. "'Basilas'?" He snorted and shook out of her hold. "No? Then how about 'Quasar'?" Again he snorted, not liking the name. He turned away from her, a vision of an arrogant lord.

She smiled, "I know. How about 'Duke'?"

He turned back to her then and gave a gentle huff. He liked that one.

"How about we try that saddle now, Duke?"

Grabbing the saddle she hoisted the contraption over his back. After a few breaks and tantrums, courtesy of Duke, he was saddled and ready to leave the stables.

Walking out, she brought Duke out to stand beside Luke's mount. Duke was magnificent, to say the least. He stood taller and prouder than the rest, the sunlight bouncing off his buckskin coat.

"You arrogant horse." She mumbled and Duke huffed. Placing her foot in the stirrup, she hoisted herself up. The ground was far away, he was much taller than Lily and the way her legs strained to anchor herself in the saddle, meant he would be a beast to control.

Hopefully he would be nice to her.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

931K 24.6K 61
Vivienne didn't believe in vampires until she started to suspect her prince might be one. Which will she sacrifice - humanity or love? ...
1.1K 90 14
.:True love... but make it fated:. Queen Serena of the Vale's idyllic world was shattered by her parents' tragic and unexplained disappearance, leav...
10.3K 1.5K 36
❛ I was afraid, yes. Frightened to the bone and undoubtedly exactly where they wanted me to be. I just stopped showing it. Stopped giving them more r...
11.7K 729 39
Born an elf into a world where elves are hunted and killed, twenty-two year old Faeda fears she may be the last of her kind. Hiding amongst those who...