Dragon Deep

By ilovebunnies

Imagine having your own familiar. What would it be? A mystical creature? A dragon? A unicorn? A griffin? In t... More

Dragon Deep
Chapter 1 - The Fair
Chapter 2 - Hope Lost
Chapter 3 - The bead
Chapter 4 - In one night
Chapter 5 - Sapphire Eyes
Chapter 6 - Ren
Chapter 7 - Research and more research
Chapter 8 - Soul Eater
Chapter 9 - Training School
Chapter 11 - An eventful morning
Chapter 12 - Duel
Chapter 13 - Familiar and Owner
Chapter 14 - Breaking Point
Chapter 15 - Market Day
Chapter 16 - Intensity
Chapter 17 - Another side of him
Chapter 18 - This or that
Chapter 19 - Daik
Chapter 20 - Revelations
Chapter 21 - Who are you?
Chapter 22 - Renevyere
Chapter 23 - A Choice
Chapter 24 - A confession
Chapter 25 - Bravery
Chapter 26 - Being Strong
Chapter 27 - Many Developments
Chapter 28 - A reunion

Chapter 10 - Crow Face

14.3K 634 127
By ilovebunnies

A new chapter :D 2013 is coming so happy new year! :) Thank you for reading and I hope you enjoy it :) Thank you for the votes and comments, I really appreciate it. :D 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was around late afternoon and the sun’s rays were shining brightly through the windows, forming patches of orange light.

Ren was still talking non-stop and I was doing my best to keep up with him.

My eyelids shut down uncontrollably. My head was drooped forth before jerking back up when I caught myself falling asleep.

I yawned and fluid flushed to my eyes. It soothed my tired, sore eyes. I released my hair from the tight ponytail and let my limp strands of hair hang lifelessly over my shoulder. I took a deep breath and felt tension leave my body.

I hardly knew this place and was just walking wherever I felt like. It only took me one turn of my head to realise I was absolutely lost. Why was this place so huge again?

“Are you lost?” Ren asked.

“Yes, Mr. Obvious.”

“So…no food?” Ren’s voice was hopeful.

“No.” I gave Ren a face.

Ren was like a child most of the time, but he could occasionally give rather good advice. We two got along rather well, but there were many stark differences between us and I could not understand how we could even have a familiar-owner relationship.

I continued walking around aimlessly, pausing only to look at my surroundings. I was walking down a corridor with many windows, with orange rays pouring from the gaps. Most of the rooms were closed and locked. Surely there were people somewhere? I frowned. Maybe they hadn’t ended class yet.

The building consisted of three levels, with multiple corridors which you could get lost in. There were no labels, signs or anything to help you find your way. There were only two spiral stone staircases and they were difficult to find.

I supposed the kitchen would be somewhere at the first floor so I headed down immediately.

Each step sent waves of fatigue through my legs. My muscles were overused and were begging to rest.

A bell rang and I assumed that it signified the end of the day. Maybe there would be people coming back soon. I could ask them for help.

My thoughts were scattered all over the place and it was difficult to focus.

I stood at the first level, at the main door from which I came through, waiting for somebody to pass by.

Almost on cue, footsteps could be heard from the distance. Running. Somebody was running here rather hastily.

“Maybe he’s running to get good food.”

“How would you know he’s a ‘he’? It could be a ‘she’.” I reasoned.

“The sound of the footsteps are heavy and clumsy-sounding. Sounds like a reckless guy if you ask me.”

Ren did make sense.

A black-haired teenager came into my peripheral vision. He was wearing the normal trainee uniform. He wore cut-off gloves and thick boots.

“Uh…hello.” I cautiously approached him.

“Oh, so you’re the new girl. Ran here to see you…but I’m disappointed.” He looked at me from head to toe.

“Doesn’t seem like you have a lot of spunk in you.” He made a clear conclusion and folded his arms. He lifted his head up and smirked.

“What’s your name?” I ignored his comment about me.

“Sorry, I only give my name to worthy people.” He shrugged his shoulders and mouthed ‘too bad’ to me.

Instantly, my impression of him plummeted.

“Tsk. I don’t like this guy.” Ren told me.

I shrugged and walked away, knowing he would take that as a challenge.

“You’re just going to walk away? Oh come on!”

“Yes, yes. Continue to infuriate him.” Ren was encouraging me.

“Not so fast, newbie. We haven’t even introduced properly.” He blocked my path by standing right in front of me.

My gaze shifted to his face. His jet-black hair made him look intelligent and cool. It completely contrasted with his light blue eyes, shining with playfulness.

“Sorry, I don’t associate with people below me.” I emphasized on the word below and used hand gestures to strengthen the meaning. He was not going to let this go. But hey! He started it.

“Ho ho ho. Someone’s going to be so mad. Ho ho ho.” Ren was very gleeful.

“Stop being Santa Claus.” I remarked in my head to Ren.

“Ho ho ho! Have you naughty or nice?” Ren decided it was the perfect time to take on the role as Santa Ren, filling my mind with his nonsense garbage again. I mentally slapped myself. I shouldn’t have even encouraged him…

“Ooh. A challenge. I like challenges. You’ve got spirit, kid.”

“A kid”, I feigned surprise, “Talking to a five-month old baby. What a waste of time.”

“So newbie. Everyone in the school have been talking about you today.  All planning for your initiation.” He winked casually. 

“Looking forward to it.”

“This is going to be a blast. You’re so much more fun than the previous newbie. He was bored throughout, not fun, not entertaining. Bad.”

His gaze settled on Ren.

“That’s your familiar? Seems…small. Like a rat.”

Uh-oh.

“DID HE JUST CALL ME SMALL? AND A RAT?” Ren screamed in my head.

Things just escalated so quickly.

“Well, for your information, you insolent primitive baby, I can take you down right now in five seconds flat. I’m not small. And I’m not a rat!!” Ren yelled out loud.

“Is he for real?” The teen raised an eyebrow at me.

I merely shrugged.

“Come over here you little maggot! Let me claw your eyes out!!”

“Very feisty, aren’t you? You are such a small weakling!” He scrutinized Ren.

I kept silent. I didn’t want to fuel Ren’s rage.

“You won’t even beat my familiar in a duel.”

“Bring it on you shameless fool!”

“Stop it, Ren!” I had to interfere before things got physically damaging.

“Just let me teach that brainless single-celled organism a lesson!!”

“No! Just…Just stay still! And keep quiet.”

Ren’s whiskers were twitching in anger and his gaze was fixated on the teenager in front of me. It was some kind of death glare, which wasn’t intimidating at all when you see his fluffy white face and puffy cheeks.

“Oooh. Oh newbie, you’re going to give us a blast tonight. Looking forward to it.” He clapped his hands once.

His light blue eyes were trained on me, trying to pick up any signs of weaknesses. I would not give him that. His black tunic was creased and folded up to his elbows. I could already see that he was well-muscled and very fit.    

He winked mischievously before bolting off. The other trainees were already returning back to their dormitories, as heard from the incessant chattering far ahead.

I mentally slapped myself when I realized I forgot to ask him where the dining place was. Now I had to tag behind other trainees like a lost puppy. A lost, sick puppy…stuck in the rain, whimpering and whining pitifully…The sheer image of it caused feelings of anger to bubble within me. What’s with these people? What so special about a newbie? A challenge to your pathetic fight for a high rankingin the school? Isn’t it basic respect to welcome somebody new?

I pushed the thoughts aside and buried them away somewhere deep where they could nag at me sometime later.   

It was rather humiliating considering the fact that I was now the talk of the whole school. Everyone was glancing sideways at me, their eyes burning with curiosity and suspicion. One thing never changed in all their gazes. All were challenging me.  

“This place sure takes ranking quite seriously...Everyone seems to want to challenge you. Like a pack of uncivilized dogs, really.” Ren quietly flicked his tail at me.

I brushed the feelings aside and continued walking.

“Finally found you!” I turned and recognized Janice’s heart-shaped face. Her face-shape was further accentuated by her pixie hair-cut, bringing out the sharpness of her chin. She was a real beauty, with blonde hair, a flawless complexion and perfectly shaped eyes. She was the only girl in the school (until I came along) and she has nobody swooning over her, love-sick? Now that was surprising.

“So…how’s everyone?” She asked, smiling. She obviously knew how I felt with everyone, but she still wanted to ask. Not willing to show weakness, I shrugged. I was acting as though everyone’s attitude did not bother me at all.

“Looking forward to initiation?” Her eyes had a glint of mischief. 

“Actually, I’m looking forward to food.” I responded, shaking the topic off.

“Just saying…You’re probably not getting any food today, newbie.

“Why?”

“Well, everyone is betting on when you will break so they will do anything just to do so.”

“Break? They want to break me?” I was utterly surprised.

“Well, if you break easily, you’re a weakling and they won’t see you as a threat to their rank.”

“Ranks are so important here, aren’t they?”

“Yes, of course. Ranks determine which mentor, classes and chores you get.”

“Interesting.”

“There are 5 ranks. Highest being A, followed by B, C, D and lowest, E. The real best of the best, the Elites get a special rank, being S. They don’t study in this school and get to accompany famous warriors in their adventures. Just amazing!” Janice’s eyes were filled with ambition and hope.

“That’s uh…cool.”

“Imagine being an S rank…” Ren muttered. That sent my imagination gears in to working. I imagined myself being famous, a star. Someone that people respected.

I thought of Olyrir and wondered what he was doing now. He was probably adapting well to his new life, with Solarie. I smiled at the thought of the furry feline.

Solarie was a really rare breed of familiar, Ren had told me before. Olyrir was recognized without having to even do anything. He was special and Solarie chose him. He would go on adventures and make a name for himself. To be famous, to have every girl in his dreams.

It pained me knowing that he was special and I was ordinary. I felt sad, that I could never be the right girl for him, no matter how much I would wish myself to be.

I wouldn’t back down. I would work hard to be able to reach his level as an equal. I would prove myself to be worthy, to be special as well.

And maybe then…maybe only then, would I be able to see Olyrir again.  

The pride and respect would be unimaginable. My heart swelled just thinking of that.

“Better hurry up! Or we’ll miss the good food. They have cinnamon frosted apple cake today!” Janice broke into one of her trademark smiles that I grew quickly used to.

“Thought I wasn’t going to get any food.” I remembered unhappily.

“Just don’t piss off Bain.” Janice whispered into my ear.

Who was Bain? I opened my mouth to ask but Janice had disappeared into the crowd of people.

We entered the dining hall, which was ceramic tiled, like every other room. It had rows of wooden chairs and tables. Food was cooking in a huge metal tub. It was self-service but you had to wait for your turn.  

I could sense everyone gazing at my back with heated glances. They were all knowing glances. They knew what was going to happen. They were shockingly good at playing possum though. To a stranger, it would seem as a typical meal time, peaceful and quiet.

Things were about to heat up.

I was sure of it.

I was sure, the moment I stepped foot into the dining hall. I picked up the wooden bowl that I would use to contain some stew that was served today. My footsteps were careful, almost calculated. I was cautious.

I didn’t want to make a fool of myself. Far from that. I wanted to make a name for myself.

-          ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bain trained his eyes on the newbie like a hawk, tracking its prey. Each of her actions were calculated, filled with purpose. She was fluid and wasted no extra movements. She was intelligent, no doubt. Her eyes were filled with confidence and courage.

This would be a hard nut to crack.

But Bain had never failed to crack anybody in the room. Everyone in the room now had submitted to him before. It was a silent respect, never daring to cross him. Never daring to provoke him. It earned him an ‘A’ rank very easily. Even some mentors would not dare to go near him. Bain enjoyed such power. Whoever dared to cross him enjoyed a meal of pain and horror. Bad things happened when he was mad. Bain enjoyed the scent of fear and caution around him.

He was the lead dog here, the alpha dog and nobody would take that away from him. Especially not a girl with perfectly styled hair and blue eyes. Not a girl with a rat familiar.

He was going to show her who ruled the place.  

He stood up. His presence reverberated silent authority. His leather boots made contact with the floor, sending an invisible wave that caused everyone to bow their heads down instantly.

He had silenced everyone in the room just by standing up. Nobody would dare take the privilege of breaking the newbie now that he was involved. It was power, power you couldn’t buy. 

Everyone in the room dropped their heads down and focused on eating. The seeming disregard of the events was common. Most, as expected, casted side glances, curious and fearful at the same time. Whenever Bain was around, destruction and terror followed. Bain smiled, a rare occurrence. His smile was wicked and nasty.

He moved through everyone to get to the newbie. Everyone in the way scurried off like cockroaches in the light. It was only the newbie there and she was well aware of it. Her shoulders slumped down, as though she was sighing. Fury burned within him. How dare she challenge him?

Bain was well aware of the painful silence in the room. No sound could be heard, only his footsteps. Some were even holding their breaths, anticipating what would follow next.

He stopped, around 3 steps away from her. Her back was turned, obviously showing no interest in him. That added more coals to the burning furnace of rage.

Bain folded his arms and his neatly ironed tunic got creased. His black hair lay messily over his eyes, hiding the predator gaze in his eyes.

“Really, if you want something, just name it.” The newbie turned, with a practiced motion. She sighed. Her blue eyes were trained on Bain’s, radiating confidence. There was no fear.

All newbies acted tough, but most succumbed to his powerful glare by itself. This newbie however, returned his gaze with a calm confidence, devoid of fear.

Bain was naturally observant. Those skills were further honed by his familiar, a powerful snake. He had learnt to read actions and body language. He also learnt to read a person’s moves and that helped him to excel in battle. Most of all, his skill included analyzing people. Bain would not be comforted until he had fully analyzed somebody, down to the personality and physique.

He knew everyone in this place. He knew all their fears. All their weaknesses. Their strengths. Most importantly, he knew how to counter every single one of them. That made him unstoppable, invulnerable.

Now it was this newbie’s turn to be taught her place. Swiftly, in fluid motions, he knocked the wooden bowl off her hands with a blow from his right arm. He then kicked her leg with such a force, it caused her to fall to the floor. Her rat familiar dropped to the floor, landing on all fours.

She paused to recover, standing back up. Bain merely watched.

“I almost felt that one.” She muttered lightly. 

Rage burned deep within Bain. Impossible!    

-          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I took a deep breath to ease the pain from the powerful kick. My shin felt like it had been fractured.

I didn’t want to appear weak.

He…let’s call him Crow Face for now. Crow Face had jet black hair that was rather unkept. The strands hung over his eyes, shielding an angry glare. Ren dropped to the floor quite gracefully.

“Be careful, Aria!” Ren’s whiskers were shaking in anticipation.

His kick was like a ton of bricks that were thrown at my shin. The bone felt the sharp pain digging into it. I bit the inside of my cheek to distract myself from the pain.

“I almost felt that one.” I said. It took some effort to keep my face straight when all my facial muscles wanted to do was to scrunch up in agony. Ren was about to pounce on him, I saw his legs readying for the jump.

“No. Don’t. You’ll get hurt.” I swiftly ordered Ren to stay back. He had protected me from Faris with his life. I wouldn’t let him get hurt because of me.

“But-”

“I’ll be fine. It’s just a small hit.”

Something flickered in Crow Face’s dangerous eyes. He was a powerful presence in the room, no doubt. I could feel it, the silent authority radiating from him.

Crow Face’s moves were ferocious, full of speed and power.

I couldn’t react at all when he dealt a steely blow right into my abdomen, sucking out all the air from my lungs. I couldn’t help but let a sharp yelp escape my throat. Ren couldn’t do anything except watch.

I bit down hard to endure the pain. Pain flooded my abdomen, spreading like waves into my body. Another ton of bricks, courtesy of Crow Face. 

Ugh. Ow… Another blow, this time to my head. Instinctively, I raised my arms to block the blow. My arms absorbed the hard impact instead. It felt like my bones just shattered from within.

My knees gave way and I dropped to the floor on my knees. Both my arms were already numb from pain. I could feel the needles pricking at the tips of my fingers. I sucked in a pained breath through my nose to let in air to my lungs. I placed one arm over my stomach, trying to soothe the pain. Ren was looking at me in a pained gaze. He couldn’t do anything. I knew that. He was too small. I didn’t want him to get hurt. One blow from Mr. Crow Face would most likely kill him.

“Aria…” Ren’s voice turned almost into a whisper.

“I’m okay.”

I forced myself up, my knees shaking slightly. My right leg hurt from his kick and was still painfully throbbing.

Crow Face looked surprised. It showed as a mere flicker in his eyes, before disappearing.

“What do I have to break to get you to listen?” His voice came out, heavy and full of authority.

I ignored him. Bad move.

A blur of motion and I felt a choking sensation. He was strangling me, cutting off my air supply very easily. He lifted me off the ground like I weighed a feather, holding me up effortlessly.

He wouldn’t kill me, the back of my mind said, but I wasn’t so sure now when I saw the determination in his eyes.

He gripped my neck like Serpenta, bringing back horrifying memories. My hands went instinctively to his unforgiving hand, trying to pry it away from my vulnerable neck. My hands were numb with pain and could hardly find any more strength to pull him away.

I couldn’t breathe anymore. No air was getting in. The conclusion came to me fuzzily.

Black dots clouded my vision and I was gasping in pain. 

I wouldn’t be weak again anymore!! I came here for a reason! And that was not to be weak anymore.

With the last burst of energy, I headbutted him with every ounce of energy I had.

In surprise, he let go and I dropped to the floor. I fell to my knees and gasped for air, welcoming the fresh presence back into my suffocated lungs. Pain stung at my neck and my head, where I had headbutted him. That pain was insignificant, considering that I was being strangled just moments ago.

Crow Face was looking down at me with narrowed eyes. That gaze held power, like his eyes were shooting out lasers.  

 As cliché as it sounded, the bell rang, signaling that it was time for evening lessons. My tense muscles all relaxed and I let out a sigh of relief.

Crow Face’s eyebrows knitted together, as though he wanted to do something. Instead, he took a step back and left the room without a word. The others followed suit.

“I told you not to anger Bain, didn’t I?” Janice whispered shakily, obviously fearful of what he did to me.

“That was Bain, that crow?”

“Shhh…You got off easy already. He broke bones before so don’t test him…” Janice’s eyes darted around fearfully, hoping nobody heard her.  She gripped my arm like she wanted to comfort me.

She then left without turning back. Being late for classes had bad consequences. Everyone knew that.

I could feel the numbness ebbing away somewhat. I could already feel a huge bruise forming at my abdomen and my arms.

“Aria. ARIA!” Robert’s rough voice barked into my ear.

“Ye-yes?” His sudden intrusion startled me.

“Here’s your class schedule and a copy of the map of the school. Make sure you’re not late! And once you’re done with the map, give it back to me. Those things aren’t cheap to duplicate!” He dropped me a bunch of parchments and left.

I carefully untied the string holding the parchment and unrolled the paper.

The map was first. The whole campus had six blocks. The blocks were all of the same design, two spiral stone staircases and rows and rows of rooms. They had a stable, where they kept the horses for training.

“Rank B and above get their own horse.” Ren told me.

“How do you know?”

“Daik told me.”

“Who’s Daik?”

“A dragon. I didn’t ask who his owner was though.”

I then looked at my schedule. I had weapon training first thing in the morning. After that, I had horse training. Then obstacle training. Then lunch. Then hand-to-hand combat. Then a training session. Then a logical training session (which I didn’t see how it was relevant). Then dinner. Then evening lectures on enemy tactics and strategies. Ren was involved in his own timetable. We would only see each other after lunch.

I was actually quite excited to see which weapon I would yield.

I remembered Bain, or Crow Face’s movements. They were swift, fluid and full of force. He was good, no doubt. I didn’t want to lose to him either.

I stole a slice of cinnamon frosted apple cake that Janice was so excited about. My stomach was growling so much and I quickly ate the cake before anyone caught me. It was really sweet, with the cinnamon frosting. It had a scent of apples, sweetened with honey. I could understand why Janice liked it so much.

I smiled slightly despite the unforgiving pain at my shin, my abdomen and my arms.

If this was one of the few injuries to come, I would take it. I would take everything they throw at me. I would learn to protect myself, and not let others protect me anymore. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

316 44 44
For most of her life Luciana Clement was raised as a servant in a pleasure house. She dreams of leaving the manor one day, travel the world. Which sh...
1.8K 619 27
Bloodlines book one Witches, magic and warlocks are all bedtime stories she read as a kid. A mere summer vacation turns to an adventure as she fin...
141K 8.9K 34
At the age of thirteen, young witches and wizards send The Call to find their soul bound familiar. This ritual is one of the most important events in...
78.8K 4.5K 23
A Familiar: An animal that chooses a human to bond with. The bond between the human and animal are created out of acceptance of both. The human can u...