Defending Parker

By emmaroseszalai

Jillian's senior year was supposed to be easy, but when her father's job causes the two of them to uproot the... More

[Prologue]
[Chapter 1]
[Chapter 2]
[Chapter 3]
[Chapter 4]
[Chapter 5]
[Chapter 6]
[Chapter 7]
[Chapter 8]
[Chapter 9]
[Chapter 10]
[Chapter 11]
[Chapter 12]
[Chapter 13]
[Chapter 14]
[Chapter 15]
[Chapter 16]
[Chapter 17]
[Chapter 18]
[Chapter 19]
[Chapter 20]
[Epilogue]
EXCITING ANNOUNCEMENT
GIVEAWAY

[Chapter 21]

74.7K 3.5K 1.1K
By emmaroseszalai

Chapter 21

Parker’s POV

It felt as though my whole world was shaking as I was slowly pulled out of my dream. “Parker,” I heard, confused for a moment until I remembered I had fallen asleep at Jillian’s. Opening my eyes, the fact that darkness still covered the room made me wonder why I was being awoken. “Is that your phone?”

“Hmm…” I trailed, her words not processing in my half-asleep brain until a ringing registered in my ears. “Oh, yea.”

Sluggishly pushing the covers off my body, I scrambled towards my jeans that I had left on the floor hours ago, grabbing my cell phone out of my pocket before quickly silencing the ringing. “Hello?” I asked groggily, yawning as I waited for the person at the other end to respond.

“Parker?” I heard my aunt’s voice say quietly through the phone, “Where are you right now?”

Confused by the ounce of worry in her voice, I crinkled my eyebrows as I wiped the sleep for my eyes. “I’m at Jill’s house,” I replied slowly, “I texted you last night telling you that.”

“Well is there any way you could get home?” her voice sounding as though she was about to break down.

“Come home, why?” I asked, my own worry rising as I held my breath waiting for her answer.

“Your father…” she started quietly, her voice shaking as she spoke, “He showed up on the doorstep a couple of minutes ago, and he won’t leave. I’ve tried threatening to call the cops but he won’t leave.”

As her words hit me I immediately felt the colour drain from my face as I struggled to find a response. “What does he want?” I wheezed out, my heart hammering and my brain reeling.

“He…” she started quietly before her voice cut off, leaving me even more worried as I could tell the phone was being shuffled around.

It wasn’t even two seconds later when I heard my aunt protesting in the background and a voice that I had hoped to never hear again hit my ears. “Well, well, well, I’m sorry to have to tear you away from your petty little girlfriend, but if you’re not here soon, well son, you don’t want to know what might happen.”

As he spoke no anger resonated from his voice, and that was the worst part, because he sounded like a maniac that took pleasure and amusement from threatening the innocent.

“And what if I don’t want to see you?” I asked, my voice blank and hard as my hand tightened significantly on my phone.

“Look who’s finally grown a backbone,” he joked, his tone chilling as he continued to talk, “But unfortunately for you, that backbone isn’t going to do much for you tonight. Now get over here before something bad happens to your aunt.”

“Parker, stay there with Jillian!” I heard my aunt plead through the phone, before the sound of a sickening crack made it’s way through the speaker, making bile rise in the back of my throat as I envisioned my uncle hurting my aunt like he had my sister.

“Now Parker, don’t listen to your aunt,” he said, menacing anger seeping into his words. “I had better see you here soon enough.”

“I’ll be there.” I seethed out, my teeth clenched together as I ended the call, not waiting for a reply.

“Parker?” Jillian started softly, snapping me out of the angry mindset I’d been momentarily stuck in as I turned my head to see her scrambling out of the bed. “What’s wrong?”

Looking down at her as she walked up to me and wrapped her arms around me in worry, I wished that nothing were wrong. I wished that I could just stay forever in this girl’s arms, and that she didn’t have to worry about how messed up my life currently was.

I sighed as I pulled back, my anger returning full force as I clenched my fists by my side. “My dad’s back at my house.” I explained quietly, not wanting to wake her dad up.

Her eyes widened and her jaw dropped as my words processed in her mind. “Whh….h…hat?” she stuttered, stepping back to see if I was serious. She obviously didn’t see an ounce of humour on my face as she tried to find the words to speak. “What are you going to do?”

I shook my head defeatedly. “I honestly don’t know,” I replied, before my exterior hardened and I pushed past her. “I just know I have to go.”

Her hand reached out and grabbed my arm, halting my steps as I looked back at her shocked face. “It’s two in the morning.” she stated, looking at me as if I was crazy.

“Jill, it doesn’t matter what time it is,” I replied, shaking off her hand before intertwining it with mine, “If I don’t get over there as soon as I can, I don’t want to know what he’ll do.”

“Then let me drive you, or…” she trailed, looking frantically around her room.

Shaking my head, I brought my hands up to her face and leant in, kissing her to calm her down. My lips against hers made me forget about the fact that my life was so messed up, because in those short moments that we spent alone, I felt like a normal teenage guy who just wanted his girlfriend’s love.

Pulling back, I looked in her eyes, seeing the tears building up as I spoke quietly. “This is something that I have to do on my own, and to be completely honest, I don’t want you to ever meet my father Jillian.”

I saw the tears spill from her eyes, running down her face, but before she could utter a word, I leant in one last time, kissing her quickly, and turned, leaving her standing there in shock.

As I raced down the stairs, pulling on my jacket and boots quickly, I could hear her calling my name as she followed me, but as I opened the front door and looked back, I saw her standing in tears at the bottom of the stairs.

My heart wrenched, wanting nothing more to run over to her and pull her into a comforting hug, but against my better judgment, I turned and bolted out the door, slamming it behind me as I ran down her driveway.

▪▫▪▫▪▫▪▫▪▫▪▫▪▫▪▫▪▫▪▫▪▫▪▫▪▫▪▫▪▫▪▫▪▫▪▫▪▫▪▫▪▫

The adrenaline that had been running through my system slowly started to dwindle as I ran, and by the time I reached the fifth block away from Jillian’s house, I had slowed my pace to a fast walk as I caught my breath. The cold air around me nipped at my ears and nose as I made my way towards my house.

My mind was whirling as my anticipation built at the thought of seeing my dad for the first time in three years.

Where had he disappeared to?

How did he stay undetected for so long?

Why did he have to kill Freya?

Was he even sorry?

These questions and more circled my head, but as I stepped onto the front lawn of the house, every thought disappeared from my head as though it had never been there at all.

My mind was blank, and I wasn’t sure how I felt about it.

Taking a deep breath, I headed towards the door. Noticing the fresh footprints in the snow made my heart beat with sudden fear, as I knew they belonged to my father. When I saw that the front door showed signs of breaking and entering, my breath caught in the back of my throat.

Building up my courage, I stepped into the house, letting the door close behind me. It didn’t take long for the voices of my dad and my aunt to catch my ears as I heard them arguing in the kitchen.

My plan was to stay where I was for a few seconds, to catch my breath silently before seeing my dad, but it seemed as though the universe had another idea.

“Well, look who finally decided to show up.”

I froze, as for the first time in three years I was seeing my father. He looked different to me, older and less presentable than he had. His hair had grown out, looking as though it hadn’t seen a pair of scissors in over a year, and his face looked older, wrinkled and seemingly like he hadn’t cracked a smile since he left.

His voice immediately brought back memories of when I was younger; to when he would stand above me as I quivered into a corner and waited, scared and confused, for him to scream and let his anger out under the influence of his preferred poison.

“What, no hug for your old man?”

The tone of his voice, how he seemed to find this situation amusing, made my teeth clench and my posture stiffen.

“My father abandoned me when I was fourteen years old.” I seethed out, my words dripping with anger as I continued. “My father left me to sit in a correction facility for two years of my life, when I no business being there and he knew it. My father never deserved to be a father in the first place, and he certainly isn’t a father to me.”

The amused and sickening grin that had been plastered onto his face dropped quickly, as he walked towards me menacingly, his fingers latching on tightly to my upper arm.

“I’d loose the attitude real quick son,” he spat out heatedly, as I struggled to free myself from his hold, coming up unsuccessful as his grip tightened. “I came here to talk, but this can go a different direction if you aren’t going to cooperate boy.”

Looking helplessly towards the kitchen, I saw my aunt peaking out behind the wall. She was dressed in her pajamas, her face showing pure misery and heartache as tear marks and a handprint framed her face.

“I love you,” she sobbed silently, mouthing encouragement to me as she clutched her side in pain.

My heart clenched as I realized that I was the reason for her pain. If she never would’ve taken me in, she could’ve been living normally, not experiencing pain due to my psychotic father.

“Love you too,” I whispered, and although I saw the trace of a smile appear on her face, it was soon gone as the fear slipped back into her mind.

And it didn’t take long to figure out why.

“Get out of here!” my dad yelled, addressing his sister and making her jump. His face turned red as he focused his attention back on me, looking into my eyes as though he was staring right through me. “I need to talk to Parker alone.”

Sending my aunt a silent look, I nodded solemnly, because although I’d rather not stand alone against my father, if I didn’t want anybody else to get hurt, I knew that was exactly what I had to do.

My aunt, even though I know it was probably hard for her to do so, gave a small nod before disappearing from view.

“Now for you,” my dad started, walking hastily into the living room before throwing me towards the ground, knocking the side of my stomach against the table.

Even with the strength and height I’d gained over the last couple of years, my dad still seemed to be stronger than me and tougher than me as he stood towering over me as I clutched at my side.

“I’ve heard you’ve gotten yourself into a bit of trouble with the law dear son.”

“Yea…” I wheezed, but before I could continue his foot came down hard on my ankle. “Arrrghhh,” I yelped in pain, positive that I had heard a crack from where immense pressure now surged.

Peeling my eyes open as I fought through the pain, I saw my dad now crouched down in front of me, staring at me with humour dancing within his eyes. “That wasn’t a question son, but since you seem to like to talk,” he paused, smiling sickly before continuing, “I want you to confess.”

My brain spun as his words slowly but surely registered. “What?”

A laugh was the next sound to hit my ears; a cringe-worthy, serial-like laugh. “I thought I was speaking clearly son, but I guess I’ll just have to spell it out for you.” he said, amused as he gripped my shoulder tightly, squeezing until I’m sure my skin turned purple. “You’re already on trial for Freya’s death, and this whole town thinks that you’re guilty.”

“Not everyone.” I stammered out, cutting him off as his hold tightened, if that was even possible.

“Oh sure,” he cackled humorlessly, “Your aunt, your cousin, and your little girlfriend all believe you, but really, who would trust the guy that didn’t call the ambulance for his own sister. I mean, what kind of man does that?”

“What kind of man kills his own daughter?”

At my words I saw the moment when his eyes drained of humour, settling on a cold exterior as his hand quickly came soaring against my face.

“You have no right.” he seethed, clenching his teeth as he pulled his fist back, bringing down right under my ribs. My reaction was immediate, my eyes closed as I tried to curl my legs up to protect myself, but he simply held me down and forced my gaze back to him. “You have no idea what was going on.”

“What was going on…” I whispered, coughing as I felt the taste of blood in my mouth, “Was that you were a drunk father that turned to drugs when mom left. You couldn’t get over her and you did whatever you could to punish us for her walking out on us.”

“You were the reason she left, you ungrateful son of a bitch.”

His anger spiked then, as I saw the fury in his face ignite. Punch after punch and kick after kick, I was helpless against his attacks. I didn’t know how long he was at it, but I was positive that several of my bones were broken as his attacks started to slow down. Just when I thought the torture was over, one last punch landed on square to my nose, propelling my head backwards, smashing it violently against the wall as the room started to spin.

My vision blurred as my dad clenched my shoulder, looking down at my crippled and helpless form. “Now, back to what I was saying. Everyone in this town is against you son, and there’s no use trying to pull through as the hero, so do what everybody expects of you. Admit you were the one who killed your sister, and when they see you like this, they’ll treat you just like any other junkie teenager.”

“It’s useless Parker, you’re going down for this if I have anything to do with it.”

My heartbeat raced as I thought of the things my father could do to me tonight, and for a split second, I considered the possibility that this could end the same way it did with Freya; with a body bag being carried through the door and my father once again getting away with his actions.

Words were building in my throat as I wanted to fight; to tell him how bad of a father he was, to retaliate for the pain he had caused me, but I was to weak. I had no strength to try.

Just as the pain around me began to suffer me, as my heart rate increased and a fire ignited within me, I heard a commotion start.

“Oh my god Parker!” I heard a feminine voice as I tilted my head towards the entrance of the living room, “Parker! What the fuck did you do to him?”

“Well, well, well, I’m guessing you’re the girl that has Parker in knots.” My father’s menacing voice said, and when I finally built up the strength to open my eyes and see clearly, I saw Jillian standing a couple of feet away from me.

What was she doing here?

“No shit. Now what did you do to Parker?”

“I’m sure you can see that he’s had a rough night, and just imagine, if you wouldn’t have walked in, who knows what could’ve happened.”

Although my vision wasn’t the rest and I really couldn’t feel a majority of my body, I could feel the moment my heart started to beat faster as my father started to walk towards Jillian.

Jillian’s voice trembled slightly as she stood her ground. “You’re a sorry excuse for a father,” she seethed, her voice cracking from tears as she spoke. “What did he ever do to you?”

“He ruined my life, and so did his sister.” he replied angrily, gripping onto her shoulder as he had done to me, and I didn’t have to feel it to know that he was hurting her. “They both deserve what they got.”

“That’s where you’re wrong,” Jillian said as the pain within me started to worsen, and her eyes connected with mine. All of a sudden colours started to flash around me, and the sound of sirens became vaguely clear as a wave of fatigue washed over me. “You’re the one who’ll get what he deserves.”

▪▫▪▫▪▫▪▫▪▫▪▫▪▫▪▫▪▫▪▫▪▫▪▫▪▫▪▫▪▫▪▫▪▫▪▫▪▫▪▫▪▫

Jillian’s POV

“Parker!” I screamed as I saw the door slam behind him, leaving me to crumble onto the stairs in a mess of tears.

How could his dad have come home now of all times? Why would he do this?

My heart was pounding with immense pain as the tears just continued to fall from my eyes. I wasn’t conscience to what was happening around me because all I knew was that after three years, while he was on trial for Freya’s death, Parker’s dad had returned and Parker had left to see him. I didn’t know how Parker was doing right now, and the not knowing was the worst part, the part that was tearing me apart inside.

I had no idea how long I sat crying, but when two arms suddenly shook me from my state, I lifted my head up to see a blurry figure of my father through my tears.

“Jillian! What’s wrong? What happened?”

My tears continued as I spoke. “Parker’s father… he… he’s back… and he… Parker left… I don’t know.”

Later when I processed my words I would see that I hadn’t formed a coherent sentence, but it didn’t seem to be a problem as my dad’s face turned from one of worry to one of business.

“His father’s here, as in he’s in town and at Parker’s aunt’s house?” he asked.

I nodded, tears still falling. “His aunt called him, apparently he just showed up.”

"I’m getting the police on the phone now.” he said, kissing my forehead before standing up. “Parker will be okay honey.”

The waterfall of tears started to slow as I heard my dad calmly talking to the police on the phone just a few feet away.

“Okay thank you,” my dad said, nodding as he hung up the phone and looked down at me with a small smile. “So they just dispatched six cruisers to surrounded Parker’s aunt’s house. If Parker’s dad really did show up tonight, within the next few minutes he’s really going to wish he hadn’t.”

“Thank you dad.” I said gratefully, throwing my arms around him tightly before heading towards the door. “Now I have to go.”

“Go where?” my dad asked loudly as I pulled on a pair of boots and a jacket over my pajamas.

“To Parker’s,” I replied mindlessly, “I’m not letting him be there alone.”

“Honey, I really don’t want you any where near his father.” he replied, looking at me sternly. “And you’re not in any state to be driving.”

“I’m sorry, but I have to go.”

“No.” he said, taking the keys that I was about to grab.

“Dad!”

“If you really to be there,” he sighed, looking at me hopelessly, “I’m driving.”

It didn’t take more than a minute for the two of us to scramble into my car and pull out of the driveway, driving quickly towards Parker’s house.

“Dad, drive faster.” I begged, my hands intertwined and fidgeting while my legs were bouncing up and down in anxiety.

“I’m already going twenty over the speed limit Jill, there’s not much more I can do.” he replied as he quickly turned a corner.

We were speeding down the side roads, and while the scenery outside was familiar, I just wanted the ride to be over. Turning onto Parker’s road, there were no cop cars in sight.

“I thought you said you called the cops.” I stated worriedly.

“I did, but the station is across town,” he reasoned pulling the car to a slow stop in front of the house. “We’re probably ahead of them. Let’s just wait…”

I didn’t let him finish, nor did I let the car come to a full stop before I threw myself out of the car, going against my dad’s wishes as he yelled after me, and barged into Parker’s house.

“Parker! Parker!” I yelled helplessly, wanting him to reply until I walked into the living room. “Oh my god Parker!” I screeched, seeing a scene I really didn’t want to. Parker was sprawled out on the ground, his head resting against the wall and looking as though his father had put him through the ringer, while the man himself, he turned towards me with an eerie smile on his face. “Parker! What the fuck did you do to him?”

“Well, well, well, I’m guessing you’re the girl that has Parker in knots.” His father spoke.

“No shit.” I replied, putting on a brave face while truly, I was terrified. “Now what did you do to Parker?”

“I’m sure you can see that he’s had a rough night, and just imagine, if you wouldn’t have walked in, who knows what could’ve happened.”

“You’re a sorry excuse for a father,” I spoke, trying to sound confident and failing as my voice cracked from the tears that once again started to build up in my eyes. “What did he ever do to you?”

He walked towards me with a menacing look, gripping onto my shoulder as though he wanted to disconnect it from the socket. “He ruined my life, and so did his sister.” he replied angrily, “They both deserve what they got.”

Trying not to pay attention to the searing pain in my shoulder, I focused instead on the vague sound of sirens. “That’s where you’re wrong,” I said, my confidence growing as the flashing lights of the police cars grew visible through the blinds and the sirens rung loud through the house. “You’re the one who is going to get what he deserves.”

“You little bitch!” he replied, his body standing frozen before he brought a hand up to slap me across the face.

I felt the pain immediately, but I wasn’t worried about myself, as I would be fine with a bit of ice and sleep, no, I was worried about y boyfriend who seemed to be slipping out of consciousness on the floor next to me.

As the police filed into the house with their guns drawn and weapons ready, leaving Parker’s father nowhere to run, I hurried to Parker’s side.

“Parker,” I whispered, dropping down to the floor beside him as I moved the hair from his face. “Oh Parker, look at you.”

His eyes opened slightly, a small smile playing on his cracked lips. “Hi.”

“Hi to you too.” I said, tears falling from my eyes as I leant in a kissed his lips, just needing to feel him close to me, as if nothing had gone wrong.

I pulled back quickly as he started to cough. “Jillian,” he wheezed out as his eyes slowly started to droop, “Thank you for believing in me.”

My heart clenched at how weak and frail he sounded. “I’ll always believe in you Parker,” I said quietly, running my thumb across his scratched cheek as my next words flowed out, “I love you.”

I saw a small spark light in his eyes, making me believe he’d heard me, but no other reaction was given, as before I could do anything else, his eyes closed entirely and his breathing fell short.

“Parker,” I said worriedly, shaking his arm, and when it went without a response, the panic within me rose to new heights. “Parker! Parker!” I spoke loudly and in terror, as paramedics quickly surrounded me. “Parker,” I cried, not able to stand as I watched the paramedics tend to my boyfriend. “Please be okay.”

Soon enough there was nothing I could do, I was helplessly sitting there crying, my mind whirling as I was pushed away from the boy I loved, not knowing if he was going to be okay.

************************************

No, you’re not dreaming, I finally got around to finishing this chapter! I’m incredibly sorry it took me so long, but I guess when you’re taking engineering in university you really don’t have much free time.

Anyways, don’t hate me for this ending, there is still the epilogue and it definitely won’t take me forever to write and upload that.

As for Behind The Scenes, I will be starting it soon and I hope you guys get excited!

I love you guys, especially those who stuck with me during my prolonged absence <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2K 66 18
**COMPANION TO MY LOST LOVE** Kendall Williams' life was perfect in everyone's eyes. She had a perfect boyfriend, she was on the dance and cheer team...
778K 30.6K 80
I stood with my back to her, shielding her, and my murderous eyes stared down at the poor excuse of a man, promising unimaginable pain if he dared to...
1.9K 139 31
With a drug lord for a father and an addict for a mother, Jade Taylor has been dealt a pretty shabby hand in life. Her childhood was spent in a const...
884 44 25
Brianna kissed a stranger in front of his date and experienced her first kiss with him. They met again in a gala, she was with another man but they b...