Utterly Barbaric || Harald Fi...

By Krazy_Kupid

He was the conqueror. She was the sacrifice. He was powerful. She was unexpected. He was certain. She was unc... More

Epigraph
Prologue
i
ii
iii
iv
v
vii
viii
ix
x
xi
xii
xiii
xiv
xv
xvi
xvii
xviii
xix
xx
xxi
xxii
xxiii
xxiv
xxv
xxvi
xxvii
xxviii
xxix
xxx
xxxi
xxxii
xxxiii
xxxiv
xxxv
xxxvi
xxxvii
xxxviii
xxxix
xl
xli
xlii
xliii
xliv
xlv
Interlude
xlvi
xlvii
xlviii
xlix
l

vi

7K 246 15
By Krazy_Kupid

vi. The Woman He Loved

Kari took another swig of ale, relishing the way that the bitter liquid went down her throat easily. 

Halfdan had gone off, retiring for the night while Harald went with a group of men to join in on their festivities.

Festivities that were rowdy, to say the least. They were so obnoxious that Kari was sure that she would have heard them even if she were dead and five feet under the ground.

Kari watched as Harald laughed with the men, all of them singing their viking songs. They all looked to him to smile and to laugh. He was completely at ease with them, despite the fact that he was supposedly a king.

He did not act like he was their superior or that he was above them, he treats them as his equals. 

She winced at the bitterness of her drink as she took another sip. Someone plopped down beside her, a wooden cup being placed beside hers.

"I thought you were tired," Kari muttered to Halfdan, her eyes still on Harald.

A voice that was not Halfdan's replied, amused. "I do not recall saying anything."

Kari's head turned quickly, her eyes falling upon a strongly built man with blonde locks like hers. She immediately knew who he was. He was one of the sons of Ragnar Lothbrok, one of her half-brothers.

Her eyes widened in shock, before clearing her throat and shrugging, going back to her position before. "Forgive me, I thought you were somebody else."

The man shook his head, a small smile gracing his lips. "I don't suppose you know who I am."

Kari's head tilted to the side, a smirk on her face. "Why? Would it insult you too much if I didn't?"

His face contorted into a confused expression as if he had no idea how he was supposed to react.

"I am joking." She let out a laugh, trying not to show how nervous she was. "I know that you are one of the sons of Ragnar Lothbrok but you must excuse me if I do not know who you are exactly, I just arrived here after all."

"I am called Bjorn Ironside." He said before letting out a breath and looking at her curiously. "Are you a slave?"

Kari raised a brow at that question, scoffing. There was nothing wrong with being a slave but the fact that he asked her that before asking for her name was quite rude. "Is that something you normally ask a woman when you meet her? I seem to recall that you must ask for their name first."

"Who are you?" Bjorn asked, turning his whole body to look at her.

"My name is Kari." She answered, mirroring his movements. "And to answer your previous question, no-"

Her voice was interrupted when a hand was placed on her shoulder and a gruff voice spoke.

"She is not a slave, Bjorn Ironside." 

Kari turned to look at the man whose hand was on her shoulder and she saw that it was Harald. He was staring fiercely at Bjorn, but he met her eyes momentarily as if asking if she was alright.

It was oddly welcome for him to show concern for her, at least she hoped that was what he was trying to convey to her as she nodded slightly.

"She is yours then, King Harald?" Bjorn tilted his head as if he was amused.

"I am not anybod-"

"She is not anybody's." 

Kari met Harald's eyes, giving him an inquisitive look. He rolled his eyes in annoyance, though a sense of apprehension and even, pride passed between them.

At that, Bjorn released an entertained chuckle, nodding at the both of them. "Very well, I shall leave you both to it."

Harald sat down beside her, taking her cup and drinking the rest of her ale. He slammed it down on the table, burping happily.

Kari glared at him. "Is it tradition for vikings to drain other people's drinks?"

He ignored her, leveling her with a look. "It would not be wise for you to get involved with a son of Ragnar, Trouble."

"Is that so? Have you had any experience with it?" She asked, teasingly. She could laugh about it, knowing that she would truly not get involved with her brother. The thought of it was repulsive! But Harald did not need to know.

At least not yet. She would enjoy teasing him first.

Harald guffawed loudly, clearly sarcastic. "Come. The celebrations have gone on long enough. You've had a tiresome day."

He offered her his hand, his smile almost sincere. 

Kari wrinkled her nose at him but she took his hand nonetheless. "Where are we going?"

"To sleep," Harald answered gruffly.

She immediately pulled her hand from his grip, glaring daggers at him. "If you are insinuating what I think you are, I will cut off your braid."

He glared back at her, looking oddly defensive of his hair. "I only meant what I said. There are no tents unless you want to sleep with the prisoners. You can sleep in my tent and as a gesture of goodwill, you can take my bed."

"Oh." Her face heated up in embarrassment. Well, that was not what she thought. To be fair, she was still unsure of his reasons for bringing her to the camp.

Sure, she went for her own thirst for adventure and for a new beginning. However, Harald's reasons were still shrouded in mystery. 

At her vague reply, he only shook his head at her, before heading off in the direction of his tent.

Kari hurried to catch up with his brisk pace, despite the drinks she had slowing her down.

They soon arrived at a large tent, slightly larger than the ones around it, the shade of pale smoke. 

She entered after him, watching skeptically as he sunk down on a stool, gesturing for her to take the bed. 

The tent was not adorned with much finery she thought should be in a king's tent. There were no fancy jewelry nor goblets of gold.

Instead, there was a bed, covered in various pelts and furs, a small table, two stools, and a pale carpet.

Kari found herself sitting at the stool opposite Harald's instead of taking the bed, despite her exhaustion after the day's events.

He picked up a cup, gesturing at the bed once again. "Why will you not sleep?"

She merely crossed her arms, asking a question of her own. "Why did you bring me here?"

"I am afraid to answer." He replied, mirth in his eyes.

She let out an annoyed breath. "Why is that?"

"Because you threatened to cut my hair." He guffawed, taking another sip.

"Why is that so important to you anyways? I have never met anyone vainer about their physical appearance! King Finehair!"  She exclaimed, grabbing his cup from him. Her emotions seemed all over the place, perhaps the events of the day finally caught up to her.

It was silent for some time. Kari had begun to feel terrible for losing her temper. After all, she usually had a calm disposition about her, with her quips buried deep within. There was just something about the viking in front of her that brought out that side in her that she usually kept hidden from others.

Harald cleared his throat, the previous jovial look gone from his eyes. "My...hair is very important to me. Very important."

She recognized that look in his eyes. It was the look she had in her eyes the first time she saw a mirror after her mother died. The look of someone in great pain. "You do not have t-"

He carried on as if he did not hear her. "Her name is Ellisif, my princess. I loved her, I still love her. She said that she would marry me if I become King of all Norway."

He was quiet then. Quiet for the first time, as if he were trapped in his own thoughts. 

Kari decided to break it, her curiosity getting the best of her. "What happened?"

He turned those blue eyes at her, his gaze almost dripping with melancholy. "She married someone else. I told her that I would let her cut my hair when I became king and when she married me. I was nothing but a fool to think she would wait for me."

Harald let out a mocking laugh, but even with a display to play off how he felt, Kari still saw the broken heart reflected in the man before her.

Gareth was wrong. Vikings were not demons, they were just men. Men who kill and raid so ruthlessly, but break at their beloved marrying another. 

Men with hearts just the same. 

When he did not look like he was going to speak another word, Kari stood wordlessly from her seat, placing the cup in front of him. 

She carefully sat on the bed, preparing to sleep. However, something within her urged her to speak up. "Harald."

"Hmm?"

"Not a fool. You seem like many things, but a fool is not one of them. It is not foolish to love another."

He cracked a small smile at that. 

"Good night, Trouble."

▪︎°▪︎°▪︎°▪︎°▪︎°▪︎°▪︎°▪︎°▪︎

Hi everyoneeeee!! Pretty long updateeee!! Soo, Kari finally met one of her brothers! V important to the plot btw, but u don't know that yet ;>> Anyways, yessss, Harald and Kari are finally getting somewhere, even if it is to talk about you know, his ex....eeep.

Okayy, so next chapter is pretty funnn....teeheehee. That's all you're getting for now! Stay safe, lots of love to you and your families!! Stay tuned till next time!! :))) Hopefully sooner rather than laterrr!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

166K 2.7K 200
First list of parchments publishing the Ragnarssons' reactions to situations proposed by you guys! Requests are open for more on my ask box at Tumblr...
85.9K 2.7K 37
SPOILERS (4B-6B) Hvitserk Ragnarsson was careless - a Viking through and through. He only cared for raiding, pillaging and fighting - living like a t...
38.7K 476 13
Requests open King Alfred Bishop Heahmund Ubbe Ivar the boneless Bjorn Ironside Hvitserk King Harald Halfdan Floki Ragnar MATURE CONTENT 18+ N...
301K 7K 47
Halfrid was different, maybe that's why she got along with Ivar The Boneless. She couldn't feel fear, making her family having to protect her from ha...