LONG STORY SHORT, james potter

By aurorasandsadprosee

long story short, i was a bad time long story short, i survived marauders era james potter x fem!oc More

𝐥𝐨𝐧𝐠 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐲 𝐬𝐡𝐨𝐫𝐭.
𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞.
𝐨𝐧𝐞.
𝐭𝐰𝐨.
𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫.
𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞.
𝐬𝐢𝐱.
𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧.
𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭.
𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞.
𝐭𝐞𝐧.
𝐞𝐥𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧.
𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐯𝐞.
𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧.
𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧.
𝐟𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧.
𝐬𝐢𝐱𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧.
𝐈𝐍𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐌𝐈𝐒𝐒𝐈𝐎𝐍
𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧.
𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧.
𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧.
𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲.
𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐨𝐧𝐞.
𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐭𝐰𝐨.
𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞.
𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫.
𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞.
𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐬𝐢𝐱.
𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧.
𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭.
𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞.
𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲.
𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐨𝐧𝐞.
𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐭𝐰𝐨.
𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞.
𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫.
𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞.
𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐬𝐢𝐱.
𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧.
𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭.
𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞.
𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲.
𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐨𝐧𝐞.
𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐭𝐰𝐨.
𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞.
𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫.
𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞.
𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐬𝐢𝐱.
𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧.
𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭.
𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞.

𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞.

9.7K 455 367
By aurorasandsadprosee

CHAPTER THREE

the curious case of sirius black's home life

BETTY WAS rudely awoken in the middle of the night by a crash downstairs and being the light sleeper she was, she immediately woke up.

She felt her fight or flight senses kicking in because this could finally be the moment that everyone talked about on kidnapper tv shows. So, either down there was a serial killer or a mafia boss that was going to make her fall in love with him through Stockholm Syndrome. 

She quickly grabbed her wand, fully knowing the consequences of using underage magic ( because it's better to have your wand revoked than to be dead, right? ). She grabbed a robe from her closet and threw it on over her sleep set ( because if she was going to die today, she might as well be at a comfortable temperature ) and cautiously descended the stairs.

She heard harsh whispering coming from down the stairs, but continued down anyway. It was too quiet to really make out what the person was saying. And the fact that their voice was deep didn't help either. 

She tip toed down a couple more stairs, trying not to make a sound, but then she suddenly recognized the voice. James bloody Potter.

"What the fuck is going on down here?" she hissed as she trudged her way down the last couple of steps, but stopped when she saw a battered and bruised Sirius Black.

He seemed to be in a weird trance and was just staring into the void as he sat on the couch, James Potter talking to him in a whisper as he crouched in front of him. He looked up desperately at the sound of someone else, but his face immedaitely fell when he saw who it was.

"Sirius- is he-" Betty asked, wide eyed as she stared at him.

"Get Remus," James instructed.

Betty nodded and ran up the stairs to his bedroom door. She burst through and shook him awake.

"Remus wake up!" she hissed.

He groaned and grumbled awake, blinking his eyes open. He took a moment of focus on who's in front of him as him eyes were bleary, but eventually saw Betty.

"What?" he groaned. "It's the middle of the night."

"Someone's here," she hissed.

"Ok," he groaned.

"It's Sirius and James" she hissed.

"What?" Remus asked, sitting up in bed.

"They're downstairs, something's off, Remus-" Betty urged.

"Where's dad?" Remus asked.

"He's not back from work yet. I think he went to the pub again," she revealed.

"What time is it?" he asked.

"2 am," she answered.

He groaned, but quickly got out of bed, slipping on his slippers and robe.

"Take your bloody time why don't you," Betty hissed.

"Jesus, it's too early for this," he groaned. "What do they want?"

"Get your fucking arse downstairs he's beaten and bruised, ok?" Betty exclaimed emphatically.

Remus looked at her and ran out of his room and down the stairs. Betty followed quickly after him. When she reached the end of the stairs, she saw that Sirius and James's position hadn't changed.

"Moony," James said, looking at him desperately. "It's bad."

Remus rushed to Sirius and crouched down next to James. Sirius immediately sprung to life, but was laughing in a sick way. Like the way one of the serial killers on tv would, not like he did after a prank or a joke. This was Sirius Orion Black III, not Sirius. 

"Pads, what happened?" Remus asked quietly.

"I fucking did it!" Sirius exclaimed. "I fucking claimed the title for the worst fucking son in the world! The biggest disappointment! The worst brother!"

"No, Padfoot-" James protested.

"Don't talk to me like that Prongs," Sirius hissed. "I am the worst and we all know it."

Betty could feel everyone's heart breaking. 

"Sirius-" James protested.

"You don't know the things my family does to me. What my mother does to me," Sirius cried. "Because I fucked up because this is all my fault. Because I'm in Gryffindor and I'm fucking gay and I'm with a fucking half blood werewolf." 

Betty stepped forward, she knew Sirius and this wasn't Sirius

"Sirius, tell me," Remus coaxed as Sirius fixated his gaze on him.

A couple of tears slipped out of his eyes and a couple were followed by a couple more and soon the flood gates opened for Sirius Black. Remus held him as James sat back. Remus carefully helped Sirius up and guided him past Betty and to the stairs. She was about to follow them to make sure that they were both ok, but a hand caught her wrist. 

She looked up to meet the stunning eyes of James Potter. He had his hand softly gripped around her wrist and he looked thoroughly freaked out as he looked at her. 

"Don't," he said softly.

She nodded silently and sat on the stairs. Her mind was screaming at her to go upstairs and leave him alone, but what would some would argue her better judgement told her to stay. And luckily, she listened to the latter.

She looked at him intently, not expecting him to speak, but just a gesture or anything to know that he too was ok. After a few moments of staring at each other, James wordlessly sat next to her on the stairs. 

They sat in silence for a while, Betty not expecting him to talk to her. Just sitting in each other's presence, no insults, no friends, no expectation. Just Betty and James. 

"He- he showed up to my house like that- all bruised and stuff," James spoke, his voice wavering a little, making Betty look over at him. "He was yelling for Moon- Remus." 

"So you brought him here," Betty finished quietly for him.

"Yeah," James replied. "Hey, where's your dad?"

"At the pub probably," Betty revealed. "He hasn't taken mum's death well."

"Ah," James said with a nod.

They went into another period of silence as they waited for Sirius or Remus or both to burst out of Remus's room, but that time never came. 

"Would you- would you like something to eat or drink or something?" Betty asked eventually. 

"Oh, uh- what do you have? To drink I mean," James asked.

"Well, water, orange squash, tea- oh! I make really good hot cocoa," Betty suggested.

"Ok," James said, trying to fight the small smile that was making its way onto his face. 

Betty got up and padded over to the kitchen, bringing out milk, cinnamon and hot chocolate mix. She poured milk into two mugs and put them in the microwaves for two minutes. Once they were finished, she stirred in the mix and added in cinnamon and a pinch of chili powder. She made sure they were a good temperature before taking them back to the stairs.

She handed James his mug, which he accepted with a grateful smile and he smelled it. He wouldn't say it, but he thought it smelled like heaven. And he found it tasted like heaven too.

"This doesn't taste like normal hot cocoa," he mumbled, looking over at Betty.

She stopped sipping, put her mouth against the rim and smiled.

"I know. I added in some other things," she said coyly.

"Like what?" James asked.

"Can't tell you that! You'll steal my recipe!" she exclaimed.

"Fair enough," he conceded. 

And then, they went into another period of silence, except, they now had hot chocolate and slight good feeling between them. They sat, in nervous peace, as they waited for a signal that Sirius was ok. 

"What do you think they're doing?" she asked quietly, looking up at Remus's closed door. 

"Hm?" James asked.

"I mean they've been up there for a while, what do you think they're doing?" she asked.

"Playing cards?" James suggested.

Though he will deny it forever, a small part of him did a snoopy dance when the corners of her mouth turned up ever so slightly. However, that expression changed into one of disgust.

"What?" he asked, annoyed.

"Do you not-" she started, looking up at his room. "Do you not hear that?"

"Hear what?" he asked, furrowing his eyebrows.

She placed her mug on the stair below and got up, walking quickly up to Remus's door and just stood there, face red.

Then, James heard it. The creaking, the groaning, the moaning.

"Oh my god," James breathed out.

"They're shagging," Betty finished for him.

"Now?" James asked incredulously, while staring at the door. "I'm not listening to this anymore."

They both headed down the stairs and back to their seated position, faces red and stomachs turning.

"I-" James started to say.

"There-" Betty said at the same time. "Sorry- you go."

"No no," James offered.

"There's a time and a place," Betty said with a small smile.

And finally, they shared a small laugh. Together. At two in the morning, with hot chocolate and their friends and brothers shagging upstairs. Two people that swore they'd hate each other for the rest of their lives. 

And then Betty looked at James and James looked at Betty. 

And the door slammed open. Out trudged Remus and Sirius, both red in the face and Sirius buttoning his shirt.

"Never speak about this ever," James instructed quickly and quietly and Betty nodded in response.

"Have fun?" James called up, turning to see the two boys.

"Fuck off," Sirius laughed. 

"Nothing like sex to forget family trauma and the death of your mother," Betty said with a blasé smile as she too turned to face them.

Then, Sirius and Remus looked at the stairs and looked at each other. Was it really Betty and James — Betty and James — that were sitting on the same step with matching mugs of hot chocolate and making similar jokes. 

"Something you two need to tell us?" Sirius asked looking between them.

"Yes, I'm going to absolutely murder Potter," Betty announced.

"Not if I kill you first," James replied with a smug smile.

"Fuck off," Betty groaned. 

"Oh come on like you could ever kill me first?" James scoffed.

"With that attitude it might happen right now," she growled.

"Hah! You couldn't take me even if you tried," he challenged. 

"You always do this you insufferable piece of shit!" she exclaimed. 

"At least I'm a piece of shit and not an arsehole like you," he shot back.

"Oh you're an arsehole too-" she grumbled.

"Ok forget I said anything," Sirius interrupted, fearing it would actually get violent. "Moral of the story is that I'm finally free of my house and I'm living with James now." 

"Oh," Betty said, a small smile developing. "Congratulations on your freedom, darling."

She got up and enveloped him in a big hug, tangling her hand in his hair.

"Thanks, love," he whispered as he felt her smile against his shoulder. 

"Stop trying to steal my boyfriend!" Remus cried.

"Sirius, babe, I think he's caught us!" Betty gasped.

"Oh no, Betty, my one and only, what shall we do?" Sirius asked.

"We need to run away to an abandoned castle in Scotland where we can shag in peace!" she joked. 

"Let's go!" Sirius said as he pulled away, but letting go of her hand in the process.

He walked over to Remus, pecked him on the lips and whispered something to him that made him really, truly smile. James cleared his throat from the stairs.

"Should we go or are you two going to shag again?" he asked.

"You're never going to let us live that down are you?" Remus asked.

"I wouldn't be your best friend if I did," James replied. 

"Night Betty," Sirius said as he high fived her and then moved over, and left one, last, sloppy kiss on Remus's lips. 

He smirked as he pulled away and trotted down the stairs where James was waiting. They quickly popped away and then Betty looked at Remus with teasing eyes.

"Before you say anything-" Remus grumbled.

"There's a time and place, Rem, a time and place," Betty tutted.

"And this was obviously it!" Remus reasoned.

"Your lack of judgement sometimes appalls me," she scoffed as she walked down the stairs and picked up her and James's mugs.

"What was that all about?" Remus asked.

"What?" Betty asked as she walked into the kitchen.

"Sitting with James. Making hot cocoa for James. Making jokes with James," Remus replied.

"First of all — we weren't making jokes together," Betty defended as the put the mugs in the dishwasher. "And two, he helped one of my best friends, so of course I'm going to make him hot cocoa."

"Does this mean you two are going to get along now?" Remus asked hopefully.

"Absolutely not," she replied quickly. "Nice try though."

"Worth a shot," Remus shrugged.

In a pop, Lyall Lupin was back home and collapsed on the couch, drunk. 

"Fuck," Betty muttered.

"Not again," Remus whispered.

"You- you go up, you've had a big night," Betty insisted quietly.

Remus grinned and shook his head.

"No, I'm helping you," he replied.

She nodded and walked over to their lethargic dad on the couch. He was blubbering about something, probably about hope, and was looking frantically around the ceiling with glazed eyes. He stank of beer. 

"Dad," Betty coaxed gently, as she carefully touched his hand.

He jumped and looked at his daughter with a crazed look in his eyes, but then calmed down when he recognized who it was.

"Elizabeth-" he mumbled as he said Elizabeth, a pit in her stomach formed and she felt sick. "You are so good. So so good."

"Dad, let's get you upstairs," Remus said as he tried to pull up the older man. 

"Elizabeth I'm so sorry," he whispered. "You have become- you have become a woman when you shouldn't have to be."

"Dad, it's alright," Betty whispered. "Let's get you to bed."

"I miss her," he mumbled as he started to sob, "I miss my Hope. I need her. I need her to come back, but she's not- she can't- because she's dead. My Hope is gone forever."

"Dad, let us help you," Remus urged. 

"It's what mum would have wanted," Betty added.

At the mention of Hope, Lyall nodded and accepted his children's arms. They helped him get upstairs and pulled off his clothes, leaving him in his boxers. Betty tucked him in to bed with the help of Remus and they eventually finished. 

She closed the door quietly behind her, but knew with how heavily he was sleeping, a fire alarm wouldn't wake him up. Her back faced the door as her brother stood in front of her.

"Hey," he whispered.

"Hey," she whispered back. 

"I'm going to try and find him a group to talk to," Remus muttered. "He can't keep going on like this."

Betty nodded and swallowed thickly, staring at her feet, her hand still on the door knob. This hadn't been the first time they'd had to baby him and take him to bed. This wasn't the first time he'd apparated home drunk. 

"Well, I'm glad that everyone is safe and where they belong," Betty said hopefully. "Despite that fact that our father is a drunk."

Remus smiled sadly and nodded.

"You should head back to bed," he said.

"You should too," she replied.

"I've got some stuff to do," Remus replied dutifully.

"At this hour?" she asked. "It's literally 4 in the morning, Rem, what could you possibly need to do?"

"Brew more wolfsbane," he said. "I need to put it out in the moonlight."

"Hold on, idiot," she said as she shook her head and disappeared into her room.

She came back out with a vial and some chocolate, to help with the pain. It was complete bullshit, what their mother had said about chocolate being the solution to dementors and werewolves, but the Lupin children believed it. And now, even though they knew better, they still did, because they knew that even if chocolate didn't cure your actual problems, love did. 

And Hope Lupin infused love into every step she took and every word she spoke, and so, for Remus and Betty Lupin, chocolate was the answer to any predicament you were in. So, especially after her death, but even before, they decided to spread their mother's love with every step they took, every word they spoke ( most of the time ) and every piece of chocolate they handed out to a recently dumped 4th year or sick 1st year. 

Remus gladly accepted the vial and chocolate, looking at it curiously.

"How did you-" he said in disbelief.

"I had a feeling you were going to forget," she replied softly. "So I spared you the trouble." 

"Thank you," he said as he stared down at it.

"I still hate that you're alone," she muttered, "I know I ask every time, but please let me come with you."

"No," he replied firmly. "It's too dangerous. And besides, I have the ... woodland animals to keep me company. I'm never alone, not when I know you and dad are waiting here for me at the end of all of it."

Betty nodded and brought him in for a hug. Even though he knew it was coming, it still took him by surprise as he hugged her back, burying his face in her shoulder. He smelled her hair — the same shampoo that their mother had always used. 

And suddenly, Remus Lupin was 5 years old again. He'd just been bitten by Fenrir Greyback and his mother was cradling him in her arms, his dad yelling curses out of the door, 4 year old Betty was asleep. 

She was whispering the bedtime stories that she'd, by then, memorized in an attempt to comfort him, but he couldn't hear anything and he couldn't really see anything, he could only smell her hair and the shampoo she used. 

17 year old Remus Lupin started to sob in his sisters arms as she held him, strong as ever. He felt himself dropping a little and Betty struggling to hold all of his weight. He felt her slowly lowering them to the ground.

He was a crying mess in his sister's arms on their hallway floor at 4 in the morning after taking care of their drunk father after the worst 3 months of their lives. She stroked his hair and kissed his shoulder, holding onto him tighter than ever. 

"Let's get you to bed," she whispered.

"How do you do it?" Remus asked through his tears.

"I don't know what you mean," she replied softly.

"Not feel it, not show it. You haven't cried once since she died," he said desperately as he looked at her with vibrant eyes. 

She opened her mouth and closed it again. She was ashamed to admit the real answer and didn't have a back up. She shook her head and started to help him up. She guided him to his bed and laid him down, pulling the covers over him.

"Can you please stay? Like mum did?" Remus asked.

Betty hesitated, but nodded, climbing into bed next to him. She pushed the hair out of his eyes, but stayed silent.

"I don't cry because I view it as a weakness," she admitted softly. "And I'm scared of being vulnerable. Because the more you let in, the more you have to lose. Mum would be disappointed in me saying that, but that's my truth. And I've tried to change that ... way of thinking, but it's just so hard." 

"It's not bad to feel things," Remus mumbled. "It's wonderful."

"I know," she replied. "But I'm just not- I can't- I'm not ready yet."

"Does this mean you're a robot?" Remus teased as a small smile crept onto his face.

"How did you find out? I swear I was being stealthy," she shot back softly. 

"Because I'm your older brother. You can't hide anything from me," he mumbled.

And at that, he turned away and she did as well, finally, sleeping. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

92.9K 4.2K 52
exiled, lost, and the key to the end in her hands. thanks to the potters, at least she wasn't homeless. -𝗼𝗰𝗲𝗮𝗻𝗻𝗲𝘆𝗲𝘀© (James Potter x femOC...
190K 7K 41
[EDITING] clandestine meetings and longing stares... ( james potter x fem! oc / fabian prewett x fem! oc ) ( marauders era ) ( started: 07/03/22 - f...
505 8 16
Harry Potter x Fem! Reader ✧・゚: *✧・゚:* I looked straight at his eyes. "You can't expect me to allow you to die, not when we've lost so much." Silence...
822 60 8
❝ 𝐃𝐎 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐍𝐊 𝐈 𝐃𝐄𝐒𝐄𝐑𝐕𝐄𝐃 𝐈𝐓 𝐀𝐋𝐋? ❞ ― 𝖺𝖿𝗍𝖾𝗋 𝖺 𝗍𝗎𝗋𝗆𝗈𝗂𝗅 𝗈𝖿 𝖽𝖾𝖺𝗍𝗁𝗌 𝖺𝗇𝖽 𝖻𝖾𝗍𝗋𝖺𝗒𝖺𝗅𝗌, 𝖺 𝗆𝖺𝗋𝗋𝗂...