the night we met~ gilbert bly...

By meadowwmoon

"Take me back to the night we met." Delilah, along with her "perfect" family move to a small town in Canada c... More

𝓲𝓷𝓯𝓸𝓻𝓶𝓪𝓽𝓲𝓸𝓷
𝓹𝓻𝓸𝓵𝓸𝓰𝓾𝓮
𝓪𝓬𝓽 𝓸𝓷𝓮
𝓸𝓷𝓮
𝓽𝔀𝓸
𝓯𝓸𝓾𝓻
𝓯𝓲𝓿𝓮

𝓼𝓲𝔁

159 4 1
By meadowwmoon

𝓓𝓮𝓵𝓲𝓵𝓪𝓱'𝓼 𝓟𝓞𝓥

To say that I am exhausted would be an absolute understatement. I just soaked in a bath, scrubbing as much ash off of me as I could with the help of my mother. She scolded me for my actions as she ran a delicate comb through my hair.

"I am glad that you are safe darling, but a lady should have never acted the way you did! The men were slowing down the fire, and it is not your job to throw yourself into danger!" I was astonished at the fact my mother wasn't proud of me, but instead angry that I was acting out of order. 

Simply giving up I muttered a small, "Yes mother, it won't happen again." as I slipped into the silk bedsheets. She sat next to me before saying, "Who was that boy you were talking to earlier?" 

I rolled my eyes knowing what she was thinking, "Gilbert Blythe, the one that I told you walks home with me." She looked a bit surprised, "Ah yes, I have heard some things about the Blythes... isn't he a simple farm boy? Maybe you should try talking to the Andrews' boy, his family seems very nice."

I let out a loud groan, "You mean that his family is rich. I want nothing to do with that nasty boy." My mother yelled, "Delilah Meadows you watch your mouth! I suggest that you get some sleep and think about your actions." before storming out of my room.

~

The next morning Anne invited me over to help her and Ruby with some baking. It was actually one of my hobbies, learning so much about pastries in France. "Do you think that Gilbert will notice me today?" Ruby asked as we walked along the path.

"I'm sure he will, he did put out the blaze on your behalf after all." Anne exclaimed linking our arms. "Good morning Minister. I'm learning to bake. Would you like a scone?" she asked as we approached the Gillis' house.

"Look! It's the freak and her new twin sister. Hey Delilah." Billy smirked down at me. I simply rolled my eyes at him. I spotted Gilbert working next to him, "As long as they bring food, I don't care if it's Quasimodo." 

Suddenly Ruby tripped and fell as Billy laughed at her. "Are you alright Ruby?" I said kneeling down to help her. I heard Anne and Billy shouting at each other and I only lifted my head towards them when he made a remark about us girls staying in the kitchen.

"Why don't you shove off Billy, no one cares what you think!" I called up. He looked taken aback for a moment, "Oh go bake some cookies." he scoffed. "Headline: they already did." Gilbert said from beside him. I shot him a small glare before leaning back down to help Ruby to her feet.

Suddenly Gilbert was on the ground handing Ruby her hat. They made awkward small talk while he kept staring over at me. I joined Anne and Mr. Cuthbert in a conversation to ignore the way he was staring at me.

"Come on Ruby, let's get you home." Anne called grabbing her arm. "I will probably just walk home alone Anne, you go on ahead." She nodded at me and began down the path.

I turned to Gilbert, "Would you like a scone monsieur Blythe?" (Mr.Blythe) I said in a posh accent. "Very well Miss, but you must warn me... is your baking as bad as your cooking?" he responded with a similar accent and a laugh.

I lightly hit his arm with a smile, "My, how insulting! That is no way to treat a lady." I joked. He took a bite and his face instantly dropped, "This is the best scone I have ever had." I smirked, "Then I must teach you the ways of true French baking sometime."

He nodded and I looked sown at my feet blushing, "I should probably head home, mother wants to practice proper tea time." I said with a sigh. I handed him the basket of pastries and turned around. "I-I'll see you later Lilah!" He called and I continued walking.

~

"Chase! Delilah! Come downstairs!" I heard my father call just as I was about to get ready for bed. My brother and I shoved each other over trying to see who could get to the parlor first before collecting ourselves in front of our parents.

"Your mother and I are leaving town for a week or two soon," I looked at him surprised, "We have to prepare my new office in Charlottetown, and attempt to make it well known over there." I nodded my head quickly.

"You two will have to manage on your own, of course the help will be here, but we want you to do nothing out of the ordinary." My mother said in a strict tone especially looking at me. We both agreed that we would be proper, an keep the house intact while they were gone, but I for one had other plans.

~

There was now a thick layer of crisp snow on the flor of Avonlea, indicating that Winter was soon approaching. I sat next to Diana, watching as the final contestants of the spelling bee competed for the win. I was never that good at spelling, especially English words since I was used to French, so I was already out.

"Spell amorous." Mr. Phillips called to Tillie. "a-m-o-r...u-" she began and Mr. Phillips let out a groan "Ugh, wrong." telling Tillie to take her seat. Gilbert looked over at me and gave me a smirk at the fact he was still in the contest. 

I stuck my tongue at him before Mr. Phillips continued on. It was now only Anne and Gilbert fighting to the death, and I noticed that the teacher gave Prissy a weird gaze as he called out romantic words. Prissy was a close friend of mine, so of course I heard about her and Mr. Phillips' connection, but seeing it in person was still a bit odd.

In the end, Gilbert spelt the word "engagement" wrong and Anne had won. I smiled sweetly at Gilbert as he walked over to me, "I told you that you wouldn't win, and you were so sure of yourself." He turned pink looking down, "I'm just kidding! Good job Gilbert." I said with a giggle and he turned to the boys cheering him on.

~

The following day at school, I sat with the girls at lunch after Anne had just told us she is becoming a woman. Josie whispered, "I got mine three months ago, and I feel extremely mature. I think the boys take me more seriously too. I subtly rolled my eyes at her obnoxious statement.

Diana said, "I got mine last year and Tillie and I both said the same. It truly was a horrible experience and I see where Anne was coming from. Ruby suddenly started crying, "I'm not a woman. Why don't I have one yet."

I giggled slightly before saying, "Trust me if I could give you mine I would!" and all of the girls laughed along. Tillie began explaining to Anne about a girl who bled through the back of her dress, and I could see the color slowly leave her face.

The rest of the day was pretty normal, answering questions in front of the whole class, luckily I got the ones that I was asked correct. As we were putting our jackets on t leave Gilbert tried to help Anne with a question she got incorrect. 

"Delilah could you please tell Gilbert that I don't need his help?" Anne suddenly snapped. "Uhh-" Gilbert cut me off, "Why don't you tell me yourself? I'm standing right here." 

"I suppose I just did." Anne hissed before stomping out the door. I had no idea why she was being so rude to Gilbert, all he was trying to do was help.

~

On the walk home Gilbert told me that he suspected his father was getting worse, and I could see the tears in his eyes. I pulled him in for a tight hug. I don't care if it was "un-ladylike", Gilbert is my best friend, and he needs me. 

I insisted that I come over and help out a bit, and surely my mother wouldn't mind, that is she wasn't home anyway.

"How about we bake him some warm scones?" I asked Gilbert as we rummaged through his kitchen. "Sounds perfect to me!" he quickly replied. Remembering my recipe from heart, I taught Gilbert how to bake to the best of my abilities.

As we formed the dough shapes, Gilbert began to stare over at me. "What? Is there something on my face?" I asked wiping it off. "Just a little... there!" Gilbert laughed as he threw flour on my face. I gasped and reached into the bowl to throw some back at him. It quickly turned into an all out war. 

I couldn't stop laughing as Gilbert picked my up from behind and spun me around when I tried to wipe dough on his shirt. In the end, we were left with a few oddly shaped scones, and a VERY messy kitchen to clean.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

40.8M 1.1M 42
When Arianna marries billionaire Zach Price to save her family, she doesn't expect to fall in love with a man who'd always consider her a second choi...