LONG STORY SHORT, james potter

By aurorasandsadprosee

long story short, i was a bad time long story short, i survived marauders era james potter x fem!oc More

𝐥𝐨𝐧𝐠 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐲 𝐬𝐡𝐨𝐫𝐭.
𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞.
𝐭𝐰𝐨.
𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞.
𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫.
𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞.
𝐬𝐢𝐱.
𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧.
𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭.
𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞.
𝐭𝐞𝐧.
𝐞𝐥𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧.
𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐯𝐞.
𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧.
𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧.
𝐟𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧.
𝐬𝐢𝐱𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧.
𝐈𝐍𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐌𝐈𝐒𝐒𝐈𝐎𝐍
𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧.
𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧.
𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧.
𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲.
𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐨𝐧𝐞.
𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐭𝐰𝐨.
𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞.
𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫.
𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞.
𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐬𝐢𝐱.
𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧.
𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭.
𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞.
𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲.
𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐨𝐧𝐞.
𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐭𝐰𝐨.
𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞.
𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫.
𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞.
𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐬𝐢𝐱.
𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧.
𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭.
𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞.
𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲.
𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐨𝐧𝐞.
𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐭𝐰𝐨.
𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞.
𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫.
𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞.
𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐬𝐢𝐱.
𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧.
𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭.
𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞.

𝐨𝐧𝐞.

15.2K 536 374
By aurorasandsadprosee

CHAPTER ONE

moving on

"YOU'LL NEVER WIN!" Betty exclaimed joyously as Remus tried to complete the Pictionary drawing after the sand in the toy hourglass had run out. 

Lyall had insisted upon a family only dinner, but eventually relented to Remus when Betty as well showed support for Sirius joining in that night. 

They had food that was given to them by neighbors and friends, so they were trying their best to stomach anything in the pursuit of some sense of normalcy. An addition to eating was playing a board game and since none of the Lupins could comprehend anything being even remotely fun, Sirius suggested playing Pictionary as he'd never played it. 

Remus Lupin broke into a fit of laughter at how horrible his rendition of a dog was ( at the prompt of a Dalmatian ) and how hard of a time Sirius was having guessing what it was. He had guessed a sea manatee before he had even thought of guessing a dog. 

Lyall and Betty sat together on the other side, watching Remus's first laugh in months. It had been two months since Hope left the Lupin household and you'd have to be a fool or lying to say that her absence had taken a toll on the family.  

However, Betty Lupin became sister, daughter and mother: filling some of the space left by her mother. She cooked and cleaned, keeping busy during the summer. If she was being honest, she didn't just do it to help her father. The more she kept busy, the more 'other' things she had to think about, distracting her from her ever-consuming grief. 

She stopped laughing herself and just stared at her brother. She felt weird, like she was watching herself go through the daily motions. Like her body wasn't her own and she was actually floating somewhere up in space, because she couldn't recognize anyone here and yet she could tell you every detail of their faces with a blindfold on. 

She snapped out of her trance and looked back at Sirius trying to figure the blob her brother had drawn with little patches of black everywhere. It took him practically years to figure it out as he kept turning the page to see if it brought a new result. What made it even funnier, for Remus at least, was that Sirius was a dog.

"Is it a dog?" Sirius asked finally. 

"Finally!" Betty exclaimed, causing Remus to look at her and grin.

"So you're telling me you all knew, but didn't tell me?" Sirius gasped.

"That would be against the rules, Sirius and you know it," Betty replied with a cocked eyebrow. 

The rest of the night went on like a dream you half remember in the morning. After a couple more rounds and bidding Sirius goodbye, Betty trudged up to her room.

It was quite small as the Lupins weren't the wealthiest. The walls were painted white. Diagonal from the door, her bed was pushed against the wall, right under a window that faced west, letting in the golden, evening sun everyday. She had a white comforter and sheets, but soft pink pillow cases. Next to her bed and under the window was a small ledge that held a small stack of books, a mug of cold tea, a vase of dying flowers and an ornate, oval gold framed mirror that her grandmother had given her for her 16th birthday. 

Above the bed were pieces of paper that littered the wall in small patches containing small drawings from one of her best friends, Cecilia or Cece as literally everyone called her, would draw during class. She'd draw flowers and plants and vegetables and wildlife. Anything that came to her mind, really. She'd always leave them at her desk, but Betty picked them up, knowing she'd want them later. 

Those that Cece really hadn't wanted were taped on Betty's walls to remind her that she was never really alone, no matter how hard she tried to convince herself. Sometimes, Betty would sketch little poems and stories next to each of the drawings, giving them stories of their own.

On the wall, next to the head of her bed, were bookshelves filled with books that Remus had given her or that she'd bought. They were also littered with little trinkets from small succulents to a tube of hand cream to small glass figurines. 

Across from the foot of her bed was a small closet that was built into the wall. It had two sliding doors that revealed shelves containing pants, t shirts, overalls, under garments, pajamas and more on one side and the other revealed hanging space with dresses, nicer clothes, jackets and skirts. All along the bottom of the closet floor, shoes were on top of and falling off of each other. Everything from gogo boots to Chuck Taylors to leather heels to shoes that had just been released 10 years earlier ( but Aisling was convinced were going to become the new trend ) Doc Martens. 

On the wall across from her bed, sat a small, wooden desk. It held all of her school supplies from years previous as well as bins of red, leather bound notebooks that she'd written all sorts of things in — poetry, prose, notes to friends, class notes. There was another abandoned mug that sat on it with cold tea. A matching chair was shoved into the leg space, a plaid coat hanging from the back.

She quietly shed her clothing from the day — a shiny maroon skirt and a very oversized button down that was tied at the waist. She slipped on some pajamas — soft from the amount of times they'd been washed and worn — and got into bed.

She was tired, but for some reason, couldn't fall asleep. The nights had been like this for a while since her death — long and unrelentless. However, after who knows how long, she eventually drifted to sleep.

Still in the state of looking at everything as if underwater, Betty awoke the next morning to already hear her dad and brother downstairs.

This was not usual for the usual early hour that Betty awoke in, until she looked at the clock and saw that it was nearly noon. She shot up and tumbled out of bed in a mess of hair and dried saliva. She quickly got out of bed and threw on a green sundress, took out her curlers, brushed her hair a little and ran down the stairs.

"Ah! Sleeping Beauty is finally awake!" Lyall chuckled, sipping his coffee while he read the Daily Prophet at the table. 

Remus sat to the side of him, reading a book and eating a piece of toast. He looked up when she came barreling down the stairs, however, and smile. 

"Morning Betty," Remus said. "Toast?"

"No thanks," Betty said quickly as she looked at the mess made in the kitchen that they had made for coffee and toast. "Do neither of you know how to clean up?" 

"I have work to do," Lyall grumbled as he set down the newspaper and grabbed his coat. "Have Remus help you."

And with that, Lyall apparated out of the house, leaving the Lupin siblings. 

"Rem?" Betty asked desperately, and Remus answered, or rather James Potter practically breaking down the door answered for him.

"It's a new day and the possibilities are endless!" James exclaimed as he strutted into the house.

"What happened?" Remus asked knowingly as a smile adorned itself on his face. 

"I finally thought of the way Evans is going to drop Diggory for me," James announced proudly.

"Likely story," Betty scoffed as she put her dad's plate in the dishwasher. 

"What's got your knickers in a twist, Lupin?" James asked, glaring at her slightly.

"You know what," Betty replied darkly, causing James to shut up as he didn't want to touch that subject. 

"Calm down Prongs," Sirius said as he came up from behind him, placing a hand on his shoulder.

Betty and James, however, did not stop glaring at each other. James was the first to break away when he looked back at Remus excitedly. 

"We have to get Wormtail, it's going to be outta sight," James exclaimed. "And finally, she'll be with the better man."

Betty rolled her eyes, but continued to clean the kitchen, wiping the counters. 

"Remus has to stay here," she announced. "And help me clean up."

"Says who?" James challenged. "I don't see your dad here."

"Yes, well he said it as he left," Betty informed him.

"He did say it in passing Betty," Remus reasoned. "And besides, it's nothing you can't handle. You're incredible at practically everything."

"Are you joking?" Betty scoffed.

"I owe you!" Remus called back as he grabbed his coat and apparated off with his friends.

And suddenly, Betty was alone. 

"Stupid ... fucking ... Potter," Betty grumbled as she finished scrubbing the pan that her father had used to make god knows what. 

She started to tear up with anger, knowing that a couple of years ago — before Remus had met them — he never would've left. He would have stayed put and coaxed her into a long-awaited cry. But no, because of dickhead Potter and foolish quest to break up a perfectly happy couple, he just had to drag Remus out. Away from her. 

She put one hand on the counter, the other over her forehead as she let out a sob. She fought every single tear that threatened to spill, resulting in hyperventilation and her body starting to shake. She leaned over the counter, covering her eyes with her arms, trying to steady her breathing as her body releasing every emotion she'd bottled for three and a half months.

She jumped when she heard a crack come from the fireplace, signaling a visitor. 

"I know you said you didn't want us to visit, but I was so worried- oh dear," Philippa Morgan's voice rang out as she rushed over to the hyperventilating girl. "It's going to be alright."

She carefully took Betty's elbows and lead her over to the couch. She sat them both down as Betty shook and collapsed into Philippa's side. Philippa ran a comforting hand up and down her back and through her hair. 

They stayed like that for quite some time, Betty just trying to calm down in her arms, until  her breathing calm and her hands stopped shaking and her chest unconstricted and she looked up at Philippa with blood shot eyes, from all the tears that had welled up. 

"Hey, lovebug, everything's going to be ok," Philippa said as she pushed some of Betty's hair back. "What happened?"

Betty just gave her a look as her breathing went completely back to normal. However, because of the backlog of tears, she started to sniff a little. 

"I mean other than that," Philippa reasoned softly.

Betty chuckled a little bit and cracked a smile.

"There we go," Philippa soothed.

"Re- Remus has just be-been leaving al-all the time," Betty said as she hiccuped. 

Philippa nodded, listening intently, but quietly got up.

"I'm listening, I'm just getting you a glass of water," she said as her red boots strode over to the kitchen and filled a glass of water.

"I just- he's been leaving a-all the t-time now that mum is- you know- oh thank you," Betty explained as Philippa handed her the full glass of water. 

Betty took a big gulp, feeling her body take in the water readily and the headache that she'd developed ease. 

"It's all Potter's fault," Betty said bitterly.

"Well we know that," Philippa teased. "It's all been his fault since first year."

Betty rolled her eyes, "you know what I mean. He's a-" Betty complained.

"A bad influence and is making Remus different," Philippa finished for her. 

"Then you get it Pippa!" Betty exclaimed as she sniffed. "He just ruins everything. And doesn't he have any sense of- of- of humility? My mother just died for god sakes and now I can't spend time with my brother? How could he be so selfish?" 

"A man in love is selfish indeed," Pippa replied cheekily.

"That's a flimsy and horrible excuse," Betty countered as she sniffed and drank more water. "He practically knocks down the door and struts- struts in like he owns the place and just whisks him away!" 

"Well Potter is an arsehole," Pippa declared. "The entire student body knows it and best of all, Lily Evans."

"Oh tush," Betty muttered as she calmed down more, thinking about Remus. "Maybe I'm being selfish. It's probably good for Remus — the boys distract him and Merlin knows he needs a good distraction." 

"You're not being selfish at all," Pippa coaxed. "It's right for you to want to spend time with your family after what happened." 

Betty nodded and cleared her throat, looking back up at Pippa, breaking into odd laughter. Pippa laughed along nervously with her.

"Why are we laughing?" Pippa asked through her own.

"The world is so fucked up!" Betty declared. "My mum just died, Potter's an arsehole and bloody hell! There's a dark wizard on the rise!" 

"Yeah," Pippa said quietly, looking down at her hands. 

Betty quickly noticed her closing up again and placed a hand on her shoulder in comfort.

"It's all going to be ok," Betty soothed. "Dumbledore is the best wizard like- in the history of the universe. He'll take care of him." 

"I know," Pippa said quietly.

"And you and your family will be safe," Betty said quietly. "Promise." 

Pippa smiled uneasily and looked back at Betty, but then pulled a funny face.

"I'm supposed to be comforting you!" she exclaimed. "How do you do it?"

Betty just shrugged and pulled at the ends of her dress.

"Well, your brother shouldn't be the only one allowed to have fun! Come out with me!" Philippa exclaimed as she stood up excitedly. 

"Pip, I'd rather not," Betty said quietly. 

"Oh come on!" Pippa exclaimed. "It'll be fun!" 

"I'm sure it will, but I just- I don't really want to be near a lot of people right now," Betty admitted. "Full disclosure." 

Philippa nodded solemnly and stepped away from the girl.

"But you go," Betty urged. "I'm perfectly happy here."

"You sure?" Philippa asked. "I can-"

"Yes," Betty affirmed. "I'm positive. Go have a grand time."

"Alright," Philippa said uneasily. "But I'm coming back tomorrow to make sure you're ok."

"You don't have-" Betty protested.

"It's done. It's happening," Philippa insisted as she walked towards the fire place. 

She took out a handful of floo powder, but right as she was about to throw it down, her eyes widened.

"I almost forgot!" Philippa exclaimed.

She took her bag off of her shoulder and rummaged through it and pulled out a bag filled with something orange.

"Orange jelly fruit slices," she said as she handed Betty the bag. "They always make me feel better." 

"Thanks, Pip," Betty said kindly as she waved goodbye to the girl.

And in a pop and green flame, Philippa was gone just as quickly as she'd arrived.  Betty looked at the bag of jellies in her hand and sighed. Orange wasn't her favorite flavor, but she knew Pippa made a great sacrifice giving her a whole bag ( as they were her most favorite sweets ) and if Betty was being honest, she was slightly desperate. 

So, she flicked on the muggle telly and watched the programs pass by themselves as she shoved the candy in her mouth. This was the part that she'd always hated about the summer: not having anything to do with herself.

School gave her purpose and structure in life. She could plan and predict what happened, not like the summer where her mother dies and she just lays on a couch, feeling slightly sick from orange jellies. 

During her time watching reruns of the Brady Bunch, she decided she wasn't going to be mad at Remus when he came home. She greatly considered it, but decided that it was a hard time for all of them and he was doing what he had to do in order to feel a sense of normalcy. Just like how her father took extra work at the Ministry — not for the money, but just to keep busy and to keep life moving. 

She was so consumed in her thoughts that she didn't notice how she was drifting off to sleep. It must've been a combination of the hyperventilating and a sugar crash, but the next thing Betty knew was that someone was shaking her body.

She squinted awake and groaned. She rolled over to meet the kind face of her brother. He sat on the edge of the couch, his hand on her shoulder.

"Alright there?" he asked with a teasing smile.

"Just peachy," Betty groaned as she dragged her hand from her eyes down.

"Do you need-" Remus started.

"I'm up, I'm up," Betty repeated as she sat up and turned to see his friends. "Hello."

"Hey Betty," Sirius said with a smile, his hands on his hips.

"Hi Betty," Peter chimed in.

"Hi," James said curtly. 

"Hey- uh- I think my dad'll be home soon and-" Remus said, silently begging them to get the memo.

"Yeah, yeah, 'course," Sirius replied, picking up on it almost immediately as he walked out, Peter ushering out James. 

"Sorry about them," Remus mumbled once they were alone. "And sorry I left this morning. I should've stayed. It was a dick move." 

"It was a dick move, but I'm not mad about it anymore," Betty replied.

"You're the best," Remus said.

"I know," Betty replied. 

"What can I do to make it up to you?" Remus asked.

"You could take me to see my friends tomorrow," Betty said after some thought.

Remus's eyes lit up at her request. She hadn't seen her friends since the summer had started, she was intending to, but then everything happened and she cancelled every plan she'd made. He knew her isolating herself was bad and that he should've been a better older brother and helped her, but he was also suffering. Hope was the one who unconditionally loved him first ( as Betty wasn't told until it was necessary ) and now she was gone. 

"Yeah- yeah alright," Remus replied with a smile and a nod. "Where?"

"Probably Diagon Alley," Betty replied. "They're always there." 

"Sounds fun," Remus said as he turned and started to walk up the stairs to his room.

"How about you? How was today?" Betty asked as she rested her arm on the back of the couch and her head on top of her arm.

"Eh- you know. Same ole," Remus replied.

"Wow, I'm loving the detail," Betty replied sarcastically. "How was Potter's master plan?"

"Honestly? Bollocks, but he has hope, so-" Remus admitted.

Betty laughed shortly and smirked in a weird sense of victory.

"I know you two hate each other, but please try and get along, for me?" Remus asked.

Betty huffed and pouted at him, like a child. But, took in a deep breath and let it out.

"Fine, but I'm not making any promises," she finally said.

"Thank you," Remus sang. "You're brill."

"Yeah yeah," she dismissed. 

Just then, their father trudged into the house and threw off his coat, sinking into one of the chairs.

"Hi dad," Betty said kindly as she stood up, walked over and kissed him on the cheek.

"How was your day, sweetheart?" Lyall asked as Betty sat on the arm of his chair. "Did Remus stay and help you?"

"He did and it was pretty uneventful. I mostly watched telly," Betty lied. 

"That's good, anything good on?" he asked.

"Eh- just the Brady Bunch," Betty shrugged. "Maybe something better's on now that it's later?" 

"I'll find out," Lyall said as he flipped on the TV.

"Did you already have dinner?" she asked, noticing he didn't seem to want any food.

"Oh- yes- forgot to mention," Lyall replied. "Had some with some guys from work."

"Oh was it fun?" she asked as she took out some leftovers for her and Remus.

"You know how the guys are," he replied vaguely.

"Not descriptive?" Betty shot back.

Lyall chuckled at her moxie and shook his head.

"Just like your mother," he said, unknowingly.

Betty froze, the plate half in the microwave at his comment. He too stopped talking, taking in what he had just said. It was still weird to mention her. Lyall just watched the TV as she silently continued to make the leftovers.

Once they were warm, she grabbed a napkin and a knife and fork and quickly walked up the stairs. She placed her own plate on her desk as well as her utensils and napkin and then walked up to Remus's door.

She softly knocked and when he opened it, she heard the soft tune of the Beatles playing from the turn table that James and Sirius had got him years ago.

"I was just about to-" Remus said as he looked at the food with a smile.

"Saved you the trouble," Betty said softly. "Dad's back and he already had dinner, so-"

"Perfect, I needed to work on stuff for the lads anyway," Remus said with a smile. "Thanks for making this."

"Yeah, course," she shrugged.

"It's not just yeah 'course," Remus reminded her. "Thank you, really."

Betty nodded as a kind smile graced her face, and, for the first time in a while, her eyes matched it. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

725K 20.2K 51
"𝘪 𝘤𝘰𝘮𝘱𝘭𝘦𝘵𝘦𝘭𝘺 𝘮𝘪𝘴𝘫𝘶𝘥𝘨𝘦𝘥 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘧𝘪𝘳𝘴𝘵 𝘸𝘢𝘭𝘬𝘦𝘥 𝘵𝘩𝘳𝘰𝘶𝘨𝘩 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘥𝘰𝘰𝘳𝘴 𝘵𝘰 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘨𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘵 𝘩...
643 59 8
❝ 𝐃𝐎 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐍𝐊 𝐈 𝐃𝐄𝐒𝐄𝐑𝐕𝐄𝐃 𝐈𝐓 𝐀𝐋𝐋? ❞ ― 𝖺𝖿𝗍𝖾𝗋 𝖺 𝗍𝗎𝗋𝗆𝗈𝗂𝗅 𝗈𝖿 𝖽𝖾𝖺𝗍𝗁𝗌 𝖺𝗇𝖽 𝖻𝖾𝗍𝗋𝖺𝗒𝖺𝗅𝗌, 𝖺 𝗆𝖺𝗋𝗋𝗂...
193K 7.8K 60
the thought of you kills me, and yet i will die before i think of anything else. [ james potter x fem!oc ] [ ex-lovers to enemies to lovers ]
12.6K 510 24
" From the first moment that we touched, your arms felt like home. " [james potter x female oc] [marauders era]