Woodland Shinobi

By BoStaff

***Relaunched in 2017*** More

Prologue
The Town
The Interview
The Deputy
The Headline
The Traitor
The Shuriken
The Prophecy
The Occult
Conclusion

The Shamisen

24 2 2
By BoStaff

It was Atara - donned in his ancestors' fatigue. I was speechless. There was something hanging from his neck. I never saw it before. Atara pulled me up off the ground. I got to my feet, and brushed off my blood-stained shozoku. I could see now, that it was a gold kamon necklace - the same kamon that was on my belt. I looked up at Atara's face.

"You'll never believe what happened to me!" Atara expressed with glee.

"I have an idea..." I replied as we left the moonlit grove.

Atara told me his story, as we walk back to the cabin. Atara explained to how he died, and met Sensei Joe. Joe told him that I would meet an enemy tonight, whom I would not be able to beat. He told Atara to don his father's breastplate, and mother's family kabuto. Joe heeded Atara about people with hazy, black eyes. He said that they are filled with an evil force, that is quite strong. Joe led Atara though the forest, to where I was, and gave him the temporary ability to cast out this evil force. Before he left, Joe told Atara, that he had drained all of his resurrectional power. He causationed him, stating that the next time he died; he would stay dead.

I was still amazed at what had happened over the last day. I was anxious to personally meet, and train with the ninja. I told Atara all about him, and how he saved my life. Joe told me that he would be my new sensei. However, I could not seem to get him to talk to me. I knew that I made the right decision, becoming the sheriff of Hayatoge. It was a hard road already; but it was my destiny.

I could see the cabin - illuminated by the faint gleams of dawn. We finally reached the short stone fence, that surrounded the cabin. Atara gave me a big bear hug, and we parted ways. I could hear the cabin door shut, as I rested my head on the hammocks netting. This had truly been an unforgettable day. All I think about, was getting some sleep, after a long night. I closed my eyes...

The full moon shinned brightly, upon the broken glass panels. I was standing somewhere in the forest - somewhere I had never been. Before me was a large, grey-stone building. The entrance was quite disheveled - I couldn't get in the dilapidated doors. Beside the building, were greenhouses. Most of the panels were broken, but the frame was still erect.

I noticed that the padlock on the thin metal door, was broken. I slowly opened the door. The rusty hinges creaked and moaned. The first greenhouse was overgrown with a tall, grass-like grain. A sign on the back of the door read: "Tylor Karr - Cancer Research Center & Greenhouses" . I looked down at the muddy floor. There was a tabi boot print. It was the same ones that I had seen in the forest, a few days ago. I heard something moving in front of me.

I quickly looked up. It was the ninja. He glanced at me, and then dart into an adjoining greenhouse. I just stood there. Why should I bother to chase after him? This is just a dream - isn't it? The stopped, turned, and starred at me. Our eyes locked. Suddenly, I felt an overwhelming urge, to chase him. I ran through the the grass, in to another ivy covered greenhouse.

The ninja stopped, and tossed a piece of a broken panel at me. I ducked, just as the glass flew above me. My eyes gazed at the ninja, as he he ran into the third greenhouse. I was filled with tremendous excitement. I could feel my heart pounding - outside of the dream. I chased the ninja to the back of the last greenhouse. He was trapped - nowhere for him to go.

"I've finally caught you!" I said, sneeringly.

The excitement was growing. My heart raced faster than ever. I leaned in. My hand reached out towards the ninja; but he was too fast. He torn off my hood, then proceeded to grab hold of my shirt. I didn't know what was happening. I should have been afraid for my life; but I wasn't. Just as the ninja began to shake me, I heard music...

I sat up. My heart was still pounding from that dream. I could still hear that same music. It was coming from the creek. The music was unfamiliar - I had never heard it before. I looked up at the blazing sun. I could tell that it was a bit later then when I usually wake up. The hammock swayed as I stood up. I proceeded to creep down the hillside, towards the creek.

With every tiptoe, the music grew louder. I reached the edge of the bank - peering down at the creek. There was the ninja. He was sitting on a large rock, playing the shamisen. I was standing within a few yards of him. This was the moment of truth. I walked closer. My heart beat fast - just like the dream. This time, it was real. I reached out my arms, and grabbed him.

"Ah!" The ninja let out a squeaky shrill. "Let go of me!"

The shamisen dropped to the ground. I yanked off the hood. I stood there - my mouth open - in complete shock. My mind was blown. There before me, sat a girl - a kunoichi. Her silky brown hair, fell to her waist. I let go of her. She turned, and faced me. I looked into her eyes, outlined by her shiny bangs, and lots of make up.

"Alright! You got me! Now take me to jail!" She insisted, throwing her hand in the air.

"Take you to jail? For what?" I asked.

"Oh - you don't know who I am?" The young woman said - looking surprised.

"No, I don't."

The girl turned her head, and began to mumble to herself. "Darn it girl! You've been ruining from this cute sheriff, and he doesn't even know who you are!"

"What was that?" I interrupted her rambling.

"Oh, nothing. I guess I better introduce myself. I'm Fiemie Ohna." The girl said cheerfully.

I shook her hand. "My name is Nishoma..."

"I know - you're the sheriff." Fiemie interrupted. "Shouldn't you be eating breakfast, with that dumb deputy of yours? You're intruding on my meditation time."

"As you know, I had a long night." I rebutted.

"In case you were wondering. The Cavanaugh children are back with their mother." She assured me.

We got up, and began to walk up the trail towards Keisho's Bluff.

"So - tell me about yourself." I said - striking up a conversation. "Why should I take you to jail?"

Fiemie hesitated. "Let's start from the beginning. My mother died while giving birth to me. My father - well, who knows what happened to him. I was raised by my uncle Kevin. He has a second-degree black belt from the Dargon Ryu..."

"Yes - I trained at one their dojos in Japan. It was run by Sensei Joe Futado, and Sensei Kage Borigatsu." I chimed in.

Fiemie continued. "I was a restless child, from an early age. My uncle took me for some test. They said I had some behavioral issue. I loved to watch my uncle practice his ninja skills. He always said he was gonna teach me someday."

"What about you going jail?" I persisted.

She stopped walking, and looked up at me. "One day about ten years ago, I was daydreaming in school. I imagined that I was a kunoichi. I took a kitchen knife from the cafeteria, and began role playing."

I shook my head head, and rolled my eyes.

"What!" Fiemie snapped. "You can't blame a girl for dreaming!"

"No." I said, with a touch of irony in my voice.

Fiemie resumed the story. "Before I knew it, the cops were there. They brought one their dogs. He ran towards me with his teeth out - I got scared! On reflex, I stabbed him. He let out a howl, and I stabbed him again. Then the cops started chasing me. I manged to escape them. They called my uncle, and he was waiting for me at home. We learned that the dog died later that night, during surgery. They issued a warrant for my arrest, and I've been running ever since!"

I continued to stare at her. "Why would a tough kunoichi, living in woods, need to wear make-up?"

"That's the next part of the story!" Fiemie scowled. "My uncle couldn't bear to see me taken away, so we went incognito. We moved to the country, and I posed as his son. I had to cut my hair, and wear boy's clothes. All of the other girls wore fancy dresses, and had their hair done. I wished I could be like them. One day, my uncle got fired from his job. He deiced that It was time to moved somewhere even more rural.

We finally settled in the so-called 'Cave of the Giant Rat' up on Keisho's Bluff. Hayatoge was more populated back then; but no one seem to bother us. I let my hair grow out, and learned to make my own make -up. I can make all kinds of make-up from plants, and clay. I can make eye liner, eye shadow, mascara, and so much more. I like wear make-up, even if nobody gets to see it - except for you, now. I guess it makes me feel more feminine - helps me to, fill that gap."

We had walked up and down the trail, a dozen times.

"I know how you feel." I expressed. "It can be hard, trying to overcome something difficult in your life." I quickly changed the subject back to her. "So, what happened to your uncle?"

"Well, he kept his promise. He disciplined me in the way of ninjutsu. He even taught me how to make those smoke bombs. One day ,he told me that he was going to get some supplies, to build us a proper house. He was going to build a house on Keisho's Bluff. A house that would look over all of Hayatoge. Anyways, he left that day and never returned. That was five years ago. Then the Fukushima Incident happened, and everybody left. With all the thugs taking over, I decided to become this vigilante that I am today."

"Wow!" I said. What could I say? "That's an amazing story! The way you, persevered on your own."

"Well..." Fiemie blushed. "Some ones got to it!"

"That's the spirit!" I encouraged.

Fiemie looked me up and down, with a grin on her face. "I've been watching you, Nishoma. You're one the best sheriffs we've had around here, in a long time! What made you come to this ghost town?"

I was about to answer, when I heard some one yelling "Help! Help! Nishoma, help me!"

"That sounds like Deputy Yoshikawa!" I exclaimed. "He needs our help!"

Fiemie nodded her head, and we took off, ...

Well, The cat's out of the bag! What do you think? Comment below!

Thanks for reading!!!!! :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.5K 65 6
Just work
187K 4.1K 63
[DISCONTINUED] " You make my heart go BURST! " ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━ May contain more mature themes but I'll put a warning for those.
734 75 1
RagSan OS Updated on 01.03.2022