Dark to Baby: A Changjin Story

由 funmady1996

Why does Felix always bring out the best in Changbin and why can't he be that way with me? -Hyunjin Note: th... 更多

Author's Note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Epilogue

Chapter 39

206 5 10
由 funmady1996

The following morning brought pleasant surprises in the forms of hugs and promises of socialization.

Changbin had boarded the bus bearing the news that Hyunjin would formally meet Minsoo that evening. He said it was a necessity now that Hyunjin was the closest in proximity to his house, and he had no one to watch Minsoo while he was at work. Hyunjin wasn't sure why they couldn't wait a week until he was no longer grounded, but Changbin was adamant.

It took them the majority of the bus ride to think of an excuse to get Hyunjin out of his house. What they ended up with was a compulsory group project that could take multiple days to complete. If he was lucky, he could extend this excuse until Saturday when he got his phone back. He might even convince his mom to let him take Kkami so Jeongwoo wouldn't be disappointed this week. However, he had to be honest about which class Changbin was in, and he wasn't sure he could give a good reason for Kkami to be in their fake world literature project other than moral support.

The school day was spent stressing over the wording of his excuse. Hyunjin found himself gazing at the ceiling during class, thinking about all the different scenarios that could happen that afternoon. And when the time came, none of the expected outcomes occurred. Granted, Changbin had ridden to Hyunjin's stop to confirm the project, but Hyunjin anticipated some pushback from his mother. Instead, what he got was a congenial smile and nod of approval that took barely a second.

And that was how Hyunjin ended up doing his homework at Changbin's dining room table with Minsoo across from him and Changbin in the kitchen cooking a 'surprise' for dinner, the oven and stove combined sending waves of heat Hyunjin's way, adding to the cozy atmosphere.

It wasn't the most conventional way to meet someone. Usually, you planned a hangout, something where the schedule was cleared and the environment was stress-free. But this was Changbin we were talking about. Every hour of the day must be filled with something productive.

He had made the argument that if Hyunjin came over to do a 'project,' he needed to go back home with something done. It was logical, but Hyunjin wished Changbin would loosen up every once in a while. He didn't have to be responsible at all times.

Hyunjin was going to ask why Changbin wasn't doing his own homework, but from Felix's documentation, the boy always got it done after Minsoo was asleep. Hopefully, tonight that meant 9 pm so he didn't have to stay up late.

As they sat, the kitchen began to emit fewer clanging sounds and more delicious smells. Hyunjin couldn't identify the exact smell, but there was definitely meat paired with something sweet.

Hyunjin glanced at Minsoo, who was deeply focused on an article about electricity before leaning back in his chair so he could see Changbin in the kitchen.

The siblings were uncannily similar. Hyunjin had not seen them in the same place before, but it was so obvious now. Minsoo's hair even did the thing! Hyunjin wondered what was in their genes that made their hair so sleek and easy to manage. He also wondered if Minsoo's face would slim down like Changbin's. It was vaguely triangular, but the baby fat was still clinging to her cheeks, making her cute. He wasn't going to mention that to Changbin though. Nor was he going to comment on the small, almond-shaped eyes that adorned both faces or how their smile took up half their face when they got mutually excited.

The only difference was how Changbin spoiled the little version of himself. If it wasn't apparent from the wide array of toys, books, and colorful items around the living room, it definitely made an appearance in her style.

She wasn't the girliest an eight-year-old could be, but the sparkly stars on her gray leggings that matched the few gems on her denim jacket and the silver hair clip in her hair were indicative of how much Changbin treasured his sister. He could survive with his uniform and basic wardrobe, but she should be allowed something special.

Changbin had created peace in the midst of a horrible situation. From what Hyunjin saw, Minsoo didn't know the struggles of her brother. She knew about Felix, but she was so safe and well cared for that Changbin's hardships were not noticed. There was no apparent financial struggle, no empty stomachs, not an abundance of dirty clothes, and a place for shelter. The content in her face told the whole story.

Changbin had stepped up to the plate. He was a provider and a guardian. Hyunjin wanted to tease him and call him mom, but it wasn't something to tease about because it was true. He was Minsoo's mom and dad. Minsoo's support.

Hyunjin turned back to his math worksheet and sighed.

"You good in there?"

"Yeah!" Minsoo immediately replied, her voice sweet and high-pitched.

"Jinjin?"

"Huh? What? Yeah. I'm fine." Changbin came out of the kitchen, wiping his hands on a towel.

"You don't sound fine. Math kicking your butt like usual?"

"Are you here to make fun of me or are you going to help?"

"You think I can do math? That's Felix's job."

"So I'm screwed?"

"Basically."

"I can help!" Minsoo got up from her chair and rounded the table to stand beside Hyunjin.

"I don't think so, Soo. This is harder than your times tables."

"It's a bunch of triangles. What's so hard about that?"

"Well, you see..."

And that is how Hyunjin learned that not only can Changbin do math, but he is capable of explaining it so even an eight-year-old understands trigonometry. Once Minsoo got it, Changbin unceremoniously left them to finish their homework while he plated their food.

Hyunjin didn't know how to feel about a child helping him with his homework, but he now understood the worksheet after two people explained it to him. And just in time for Changbin to bring out the food.

The two at the table cleared it of any books and papers to make way for the plates piled high with sweetly marinated beef tips, oven-roasted potatoes, and fried zucchini.

Hyunjin smiled at the vegetable. Changbin teased him about being so picky with his food and removing vegetables from his plate in the past, but when it came down to it, Changbin chose to cook one Hyunjin was always open to eating.

Changbin raced back to the kitchen and the sound of pouring liquid filled the air before he returned with three glasses of lemonade. Somewhere in the process, Minsoo had shown up with napkins and silverware, so everything was set up efficiently.

"Thanks, Soo." Changbin patted Minsoo's head and sat down beside her, facing Hyunjin. "Let's eat!"

A silence overcame them that was punctured only by the scraping of forks and knives on the ceramic plates. Hyunjin enjoyed it. No idle chatter. Nothing awkward. Just the enjoyment of food and family.

It lasted until Changbin took his last bite and began the process of cleaning off the table.

"So... Minsoo. What's on the agenda tonight?" Changbin asked, stopping his trek to the kitchen to give his sister his full attention. The girl gazed away, deep in thought.

"Drawing? We haven't done that in a while."

"Mm, you're right. We haven't. Colored or not?"

"Colored. For sure." The siblings shared a grin.

"I agree." Changbin turned to Hyunjin. "Will you be joining us?"

Hyunjin looked at the clock above the oven. 6:45. He had a little over an hour.

"Sure!"

Hyunjin may have regretted his enthusiasm when it became obvious that drawing was a pretty serious activity in the Seo household. If the piano music in the background didn't give it away, the fancy colored pencils and sketchbooks should have.

Changbin tore out a few pages for Hyunjin and pushed the colored pencils to the center of the table so they all could reach.

"What are you going to draw, Soo?"

"I've been working on my animals. I might try a unicorn today."

"Good choice, good choice. The shading's gonna be hard though. Do you want me to look up a picture?" Minsoo squinted her eyes at him.

"Since when do we draw off of pictures? That's illegal!" Hyunjin was concerned. He could only make something look good if it came from a coloring book where all he had to do was fill in the lines, and this child was free drawing?

"It's not illegal. Amature maybe, but not illegal."

"Well you know I'm no amateur. Look up your own unicorn, you amateur." Changbin gasped.

"How dare you! I am better than you and you know it!"

"Prove it!"

"Okay, we'll see who can draw the best unicorn. No pictures."

"You're on!" Hyunjin's eyes widened as the two siblings got to work.

"What are you doing, Hyunjin? A unicorn is not going to draw itself!" His eyes widened even more.

"No, no, no! I can't draw!"

"But you joined us, so you're drawing. Chop chop!"

And that is how Hyunjin lost a drawing competition to a child he had just met.

Changbin was never gonna let him live that one down.

________________________________________________________________________________

I was very tempted to publish this unedited, but it was scary, so I didn't.

Anyway, I hope you are doing well! Love you all!

继续阅读

You'll Also Like

38 4 2
There are two sides to their love story. Felix might have fallen first, but Hyunjin took his time falling even harder.
17.1K 700 27
Felix moved into the apartment next to Changbin's, but for some reason, they don't really get along. Why is that?
167K 4.6K 39
[COMPLETED] Han Jisung X Stray Kids This is about -- Love | Friendship | Brotherhood | Best Friend | Married Couples | Family | Boyfriend & STAY 😊 I...
1.1K 86 13
Chan always loved the sea. He's always felt connected to her, his home, despite that one accident that changes his whole life. But one day, on the be...