Overcoming

By Spicychoco

Ethan Knight is living his life just as he imagined it. Being the captain of the basketball team, he has to m... More

Overcoming
Author's note
Aesthetics
Chapter-1|New beginning
Chapter-2|New Faces
Chapter-4|The Shot
Chapter-5|The Afterparty
Chapter-6|Blueberry Muffins
Chapter-7|Cheer
Chapter-8|Almost
Chapter-9|In your dreams
Chapter-10|The Lunch
Chapter-11|The Library
Chapter-12|The Beginning of a Mishap
Chapter-13|The Mishap and Beyond
Chapter-14|Afterglow
Chapter-15|Vulnerability
Chapter-16|Teasing
Chapter-17|The Game
Chapter-18|Let's Celebrate
Chapter-19|Allure
Chapter-20|Family Friend
Chapter-21|The Invitation
Chapter-22|Galleria Of Gems
Chapter-23|Arrivals and Departures
Chapter-24|Late Night Conversations
Chapter-25|Beach Bae
Chapter-26|Butterfly
Chapter-27|Numbed
Chapter-28|Interventions
Chapter-29|Lost
Chapter-30|The End?
Chapter-31|Seven Shots Later
Chapter-32|Closure
Chapter-33|Calls
Chapter-34|Euphoria
Chapter-35|Support
Chapter-36|You>Distance
Chapter-37|Baby's Breath
Chapter-38|Never Apologize
Chapter-39|Teddy Bear
Chapter-40|Mommy Dearest
Chapter-41|Strongest Sperm
Chapter-42|Birthday special
Chapter-43|Pre-Wedding Shenanigans(1)
Chapter-44|Pre-Wedding Shenanigans(2)
Chapter-45|Vows at Sunset
Chapter-46|Fucking Lily
Chapter-47|Rain on Parade
Chapter-48|Welcome To New York
Chapter-49|Parent Problems (1)
Chapter-50|Parent Problems (2)
Chapter-51|The Gala
Chapter-52|Hypocrisy
Chapter-53|All Of Me
Epilogue
Parting Note

Chapter-3| In Red

36.3K 814 406
By Spicychoco

I am dying.

Coach makes sure that we burn all the calories that we put on during the offseason. He is going to fucking kill us one day.

It was the first practice of the season, and it was also my last season as a college player. It was bittersweet. I am definitely going to miss this, but I couldn't wait to go out and make a name for myself in the NBA.

NBA is everything and the only thing that I've dreamt of and thought of for as long as I can remember. I was eight when my dad took me to watch my first live NBA match, and ever since it has been my goal to be the guy playing out there. Not just one of them, but the best.

I have done everything in my power to make my dream come true. From rigorous training to discipline both off and on the court, I've done it all.

"I can't believe such a short and stumpy guy can make us shiver in fear." Noah grumbled in disbelief when he reached me.

We were currently running laps on the field, sweating like pigs.

"I can see you running out of breath, Reid. Push harder." Coach Reynolds roared from the sidelines.

"Yes, coach." Noah, being the stupid fuck that he is, yelled back.

"Don't yell you, idiot. You'll lose more breath." I mumbled.

"What even is the point of this drill?" He asked incredulously.

The coach had this drill where he would make the fastest runner on the team run laps, and the rest of us are to keep up with him. We can't stop until all of us are in line with him and the main drill starts after forty laps, so it's pretty difficult.

"Apparently, it makes you a better runner and boosts your stamina." Mason grumbled from the other side.

"Well, I have great stamina. You could ask the girl who spent the night in my bed." Noah smirked.

"I heard you, Reid. Ten extra laps for you." Coach ordered.

"How the hell did he even hear that?"

"He's coach Reynolds." Mason and I said in unison.

After an hour more of practice and more grueling drills, I was standing with my hands on my knees to breathe better.

I looked sideways to see almost everyone in the same position except for Noah, who was lying starfish on the ground.

"Get your ass off the ground, Noah." The coach said without even looking at him.

"Okay so.." the coach started once we all were standing in front of him.

"This was your first practice of the season. We have won the last three championships and I aim to make it four this year. If anyone creates a problem with that, they would be off the team before you can blink." He gave the stern eyes, looking each one of us in the eye.

Coach Reynolds might be short and stumpy but his voice could make you cower in fear.

"This is the last year for some of you, so make it count, ladies."

I will.

"What you do off the court also affects your performance on the court. While I cannot dictate your personal life, I advise you to not let it affect your performance or I wouldn't have any issues benching you. I am not taking any risks." He looked at Jayden particularly during the last bit because his last girlfriend created quite a scene on the court last year.

She dodged the security and came running into the court while the game was on, which was unsafe for both, her and the player. She slapped Jayden in front of the entire court just because she heard a rumor about him. Apparently, he cheated on her with her best friend, which he didn't. The security had to drag her away, but it had already spoiled the momentum of the game and also, Jayden was off for the whole second half resulting in him being benched. Later we came to know her best friend had fabricated those lies so she could break them up because she had a crush on Jayden.

Relationships are messy.

Jayden hunched his head because he knows it was a disaster.

"Moving on, this morning I received an email from the NBA." The cheers erupted before he could even finish his sentence. We all knew it was regarding the draft. I could already feel the jitters.

"Yes ladies, it was regarding the draft of the year 2021. We have three drafted players among us right now." He said proudly.

"Say the names, coach." Noah said impatiently. I am pretty confident about myself, but that did nothing to calm my nerves.

"Shut up, Reid." The coach said, and we all chuckled at their dynamics.

"Ethan Kight, Mason Standford, and Jase Montgomery. Congratulation on being the drafted players for 2021." I just couldn't stop the smile. I knew a lot could happen in a year, but the moment I've been waiting for is almost within arm's reach now. The Official NBA Draft 2021.

The teammates picked up all three of us, cheering.

"Put my damn drafted players down," Coach yelled, but I could see the hint of a smile on his face.

"You three will be in the constant spotlight this year. Each match counts, each pass counts, and each mistake counts. Everything you do is going to affect your position in the draft. All of you need to be on your A-game this season." The coach said once we all settled down.

I know what he's talking about. One mistake, and our faces would be over all the sports' news channels. Everyone out there is waiting for you to slip up and as soon as you do, that's all they'll talk about for the entire year.

"Now that, that's out of the way, I need the three of you to fill out the documents required. Pick up the package from the assistant staff before you leave and because it's just the beginning of the season, you have the weekend off but I don't want anyone of you showing up hungover on Monday. Keep yourself in check." He said in his 'no-bullshit,' voice.

"Aye aye, captain." That was Noah. That has to be Noah.

"Get lost now." The coach grumbled, ignoring Noah.

Once we were all in the locker rooms, I looked around to see quite a few fresh faces. I noticed a few of them in the practice and I can already say, many of them show great potential.

"Okay, listen up," I yelled over the chatter of the locker room to gain everyone's attention.

"I know the coach has already officially welcomed all the new team members, but I would like to welcome you all to the family. The unofficial family that we've built off the field. Welcome, Trojans!" The team cheered as I finished speaking. I make it a point to give this little informal welcome to all the new members because coming into a new team could be quite intimidating and as the captain, it's my responsibility to keep the bond of the team intact for the team to work on the field.

"Captain on duty." Noah teased.

⤎❁⤏

It was currently twelve in the noon; we were all running to get things ready for the party tonight. The house was in a state of chaos right now. A lot of players graduated last year, so they moved out while the new players were moving in.

"Yo Grayson! Do you mind taking it in the kitchen?" Mason asked as he brought a few crates of beer in the house.

"Sure." Grayson smiled and took the crates inside the kitchen.

Grayson McGowen was one of the new players who joined the college and the team this year. He was your typical player, but in the week that we have spent together since he moved in, he has come across as a good person. He and Noah already have quite a few inside jokes.

"He's good on the field." Mason said, coming to sit beside me on the couch.

"He is." I agreed, sipping on my black coffee.

He was definitely the most promising underclassmen on the field today. He was good at what he does.

"Isn't Riley moving in today?" Mason asked curiously.

"Yeah, man." My younger sister Riley is starting college today. She's going to move in, in the dorms. I had to help her, but then I would have to miss the practice and the coach would have killed me if that happened. So, my mom had to do it alone.

I'll visit her dorm tomorrow to help her settle in.

"I think I'll take her for brunch or something tomorrow. It'll make her more comfortable with the campus, you know." I thought out loud.

"Yeah, that sounds good. Maybe I'll join you guys. I haven't seen her since so long." Mason and Riley were really close to each other. Mason and I are childhood best friends, so Mason was around a lot.

"What's up?" Noah asked, collapsing on the sofa on my other side.

"Ethan is taking Riley for a brunch tomorrow." Mason filled Noah in.

"Ohhhhh, would you mind if I join?" Noah asked sheepishly.

"Of course not."

Noah and I met during the freshman year of college and all three of us have been inseparable ever since. Noah's parents died in an accident when he was sixteen, so my mom being the mother bear that she is, took him under her wing as soon as she met him. He spends all his holidays with us, and none of us would have it any other way.

"Cool." Noah nodded.

"So, what's the plan for this year?" Mason asked.

"Win the championship, pass the exams, graduate eventually, and get laid. Simple." Noah shrugged.

"So, none of you is looking for love this year?" Jayden mused from where he was sitting on the dining table.

"Nope." Said Noah.

"If it happens, it happens." Mason shrugged.

"What about you, Ethan?" Jayden raised an eyebrow. That asshole already knew my answer, he's doing this for fun.

"I am not looking for anything. Relationships are too much effort for me right now. I can't afford that and I am getting laid, ain't I?" I shrugged.

Relationships are important for me. My parents have been together for the better part of their lives, so for me, a relationship means a lot. I won't get in a relationship with a girl just to get laid, that's unfair to her and wrong of me. When I get with a girl, I want her to be my top priority; she deserves that much, but right now, my priority is basketball. Being together is so much more than just spending time together. I'll get in a relationship when I was ready for that kind of commitment.

"So, as long as you get sex, you are good to go?" Jayden pressed.

I shrugged non-committedly.

Everyone has needs and so do I. If the girl I am sleeping with and I can find a common ground, then where's the harm? I know one-night stand can lead to issues sometimes, that's why I make my part clear before we get down to the business. Only fucking, no commitment.

"That's it, assholes. Get your fucking asses up and help us set up. I refuse to do everything." Aiden scolds us.

"Mama Aiden is pissed." Noah mused in a low voice.

"I heard it." Aiden rolled his eyes.

"You were supposed to." Noah smiled sweetly at him.

"Whatever. Now get up and help us."

With that, we were all up and running, getting everything done for tonight's party.

⤎❁⤏

"What about the blonde one?" Mason asked, pointing to a blonde girl who was currently dancing on the makeshift dance floor.

"No blondes, please. Not my thing." Noah said, looking apologetic.

Currently, three of us were leaning against the far wall, with our beers in our hands.

"Kallie is a blonde." Mason pointed out.

Kallie was the girl who was in Noah's bed last night.

"Yeah, well, I already knew she gives exceptional blowjobs. So, I made an exception, and she is low maintenance. No next day drama." Noah justified, shrugging his shoulder.

"Oh, I see your point."

"Yo Knight, what about you? Anyone who caught your eye?"

"Not yet." I said, looking around for a familiar face.

"You are looking for someone specific, aren't you?" Noah smirked.

"Brooke." I replied with a blank voice.

"Brooke...." Noah said, lost in thought.

"She's the brunette. He hooks up with her the most. She wears purple everywhere." Mason gave out key information to ring a bell in Noah's head.

"Ohhhh, Brooke. I remember now." Noah smirked, nodding his head.

"Yeah."

"What the fuck?" Noah whispered almost in disbelief beside me.

"What happened?" I ask, suddenly on high alert.

"Um... nothing. I'll be back." Noah blurted and got lost in the crowd.

"Something's up." Mason shared my suspicion.

"Definitely. It's Noah." Noah and trouble go hand in hand.

"Should we check?"

"No, I think Noah would tell us if something big happens." I said certainly.

I know Noah makes trouble, but I also know he would tell me if things get out of hand.

It was sometime later in the night; I was chatting with Grayson about Noah and Mason, who also disappeared soon after Noah. I am very skeptical about them both. Something is definitely going on, and they are definitely hiding something from me.

"I am sure we'll come to know in some time." Grayson said sipping on his beer.

"I fucking hope so." I am pissed.

I looked up as if Noah or Mason is going to pop up and tell me what's up. Clearly, that didn't happen, but then I saw a flash of red dancing on the floor.

She instantly captured my attention. A temptress in red.

Dancing without a care in the world, she was a sight to behold with her hair flying all around her. Her red dress did nothing to hide her curves, in fact, it accentuated those curves. I had this sudden urge to dance with her.

Suddenly, she looked up, and our eyes met instantly. I could see appreciation in her eyes. She definitely did not mind me staring. If she did, I would look away instantly, I do not intend to make her uncomfortable.

I saw her eyes roam the length of my body. I took it as my chance to appreciate her. She was stunning from head to toe. Her luscious brown hair curled at the ends, cascaded down her back, hiding her back from roaming eyes. Her sleeveless red dress hugged her like a second skin.

God, her legs!

Her legs looked amazing in the glimmering light. Toned, long, and smooth.

When our eyes met again, I tipped the neck of my beer bottle towards her in acknowledgment. I could totally see myself spending the night with her, more like nights to be honest. I was about to approach her when a familiar blonde threw herself into my arms.

Riley!

⤎❁⤏

Hey guys! This is a bonus update because we reached 100 reads people! I am so fucking happy right now. So, I hope you enjoy this chapter. Have fun and don't forget to vote and comment if you did.

100 Reads- 04th March, 2021

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

425 63 16
"She is broken from the inside. He is broken on the outside. But together, they make something beautiful. Something, beautifully broken." Renae comes...
12K 404 20
Love is the strangest thing, it never happens when you want it too. It almost never happens with who you always thought it would. The world is becomi...
3.9K 591 43
College, the one big reset button that life offers. To Ethan, college represents new friends, new experiences, new romance, and a new set of expectat...
146 40 44
"Now you're in my life, I can't get you off my mind." -Harry After meeting Sabrina, Milo doesn't quite know how to feel. Or at least, what to do with...