A DNF Merman AU

By poggers_gogy

When merman George accidentally makes his way up to the ocean's surface and spots a Dream-y surfer, he falls... More

Intro:)
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14**
Chapter 15**
Chapter 16**
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19**
Chapter 20 **
Chapter 21
Ex. Chapter 1
Ex. Chapter 2**
Ex. Chapter 3
Ex. Chapter 4
Ex. Chapter 4.5
Ex. Chapter 5**
Ex. Chapter 6
Ex. Chapter 6.5

Chapter 9

31.2K 1.4K 1.2K
By poggers_gogy

Quick A/N: Thank you so much for the 1k views!!!! This is actually insane!

PS: I had a busy day, so today's chapter is short and sweet. :)

~~◇~~~◇~~

Chapter 9

~~◇~~~◇~~

"You're beautiful," Clay murmurs.

~~◇~~~◇~~

George freezes in surprise, cheeks darkening at the unexpected compliment. "W-what?" he replies, barely believing his ears. George watches the boy's eyes widen as he realizes what he just admitted out loud. They sit there in silence for a couple of excruciatingly long moments, George's face still cradled in Dream's hands.

"Thank you," the merman whispers, and slides slowly back into the sea. "Would you like to surf today?"

Clay nods, and George can tell that he is grateful for the subject change. The boy's embarrassment is replaced by a smug grin as he says, "hey George? Now you can enjoy watching me without being afraid of getting caught!"

George gasps and blushes, hiding his pink cheeks with his hands. He knew that? he wonders. Almost as if Dream is reading his mind, he chuckles, "yeah. I saw you," before turning around to catch a wave.

For the first time, George is finally able to observe him openly, and he takes full advantage of the opportunity. George is no fool. He floats lazily on the surface, eyes practically glued to the boy. He notes every slight movement of his arms, every twitch of his lips. He begins to memorize everything about Clay, from his messy blond curls, to his sparkling green eyes, to the strong muscles that define his back and shoulders, to the graceful way he balances on the board, not knowing if he'll get the chance again.

But all his worries and doubts dissolve like salt into the ocean when Clay turns around, winks, and says, "I'll see you tomorrow," before turning away to catch a final wave to shore.

~~◇~~~◇~~

If he is being completely honest, George cannot believe how lucky he is. Clay stays true to his promise and returns to their spot every day. The most handsome boy in the entire world wants to spend time with HIM! with George! The merman had never really felt very special before. He knew he was pretty, but so were all mermaids, so that didn't have much meaning for George. He didn't feel particularly funny or smart or interesting, and yet Dream had chosen HIM, and continues to choose him, every day. And good god, does that make him he feel really fucking special right now.

He has become addicted to the way Dream looks at him, eyes unashamedly filled with awe and curiosity sweeping over his face and body. Even though he hasn't quite figured out what that means, it always sparks a warm fire in George's chest. He practically melts under Clay's gaze. The merman doesn't think he'll ever stop getting butterfly fish in his belly when he sees the boy. Every moment they spend together is like a dream come true.

Today, they are racing each other, George swimming in the waves while Dream surfs on his board. The merman propels himself forward with his tail, spiraling once below the waves, and taking off. George is much faster, and wins the early races. Swimming, however, uses up a lot more energy than surfing, and his lead begins to decline.

"Oh Geooooorge! Cmere!" Clay hollers, chasing the merman, and George screeches in both excitement and frustration when the surfer finally beats him. Laughing hysterically, they slow down, and George floats on his back, trying to regain his breath. Clay slides off of his board and joins him in the water, arms and legs extending like a starfish as he rests on the surface. George mirrors him, unfolding his arms, and accidentally brushes his hand against Dream's. Surprisingly, Clay doesn't jerk his hand away, and George takes this as a sign of encouragement. The merman holds his breath as he silently tangles his fingers with the boy's, exhaling in relief when the boy tightens his grip slightly. Clay looks at him quizzically, and George says matter-of-factly, "so we don't drift apart." The boy nods and gives the merman's hand a gentle squeeze. He turns his face away, hoping that the boy won't notice the blush covering his cheeks and neck. They float like that for a while, faces turned up to the sun, until the sky begins to darken.

As Clay grudgingly climbs onto his board, George cannot resist the urge to timidly ask, "tomorrow?"

Dream smiles and replies, "always."

~~◇~~~◇~~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.1K 146 22
George suffered a bit all throughout his life but he still appreciated all his surroundings. One night George runs away from home as he's met with a...
23.4K 669 22
Where Dream needs notes for science, but texts the wrong number without noticing; and george tries to tell him. Eventually, they become friends. -- A...
331K 15.2K 81
Dream a pirate captain in look for a long lost treasure.. But the only thing stopping him from getting it is that he's needs a drop of mermaids blood...
35.8K 2.8K 34
︵‿♪ Where Taehyun, a lonely merman prince wants to heal a heartsick guitarist- ︵‿♬ Out of curiosity he started an adventure, little did he know he wo...