Limits of Us

By MutiaraGreeta

All Alicia Rose Hynes ever known is ballet. Everyone would have assumed that with all the time she has spent... More

Part I

welcome back, alicia

2 0 0
By MutiaraGreeta

Like my parents, grandma lives on the Upper East Side. Manhattan to be precise. Since grandpa died, she lives in one of the penthouse with Sienna, her caretaker since 10 years ago.

When I arrive, I knock on her door immediately. Sienna opens the door with her eyes almost popping out of the sockets. She attacks me with hugs and calls out for grandma, "Jeanette! You grandchild is here!" Sienna looks exactly the same as when she first worked here. She must be in her late 30s now, but with her big pair of green eyes she still radiates that undeniable glow. I always wonder why she hasn't settled in with a man and raise a family, but then again it's not my place to judge.

"Which?"

"Its me, granny"

She looks fashionable as ever, with her bun secured tightly with hundreds of bobby pins. She looks fragile, but the Hynes high cheekbones and strong eyes are still showing off nicely on her face. "Oh, my favorite grandchild!" She swoons. I wonder what Brett would think if he heard granny said that.

"Why didn't you tell me you were coming back?" I shrug shamelessly. Alicia makes the both of us two cups of tea. I drown the liquid like a crazy shrimp on dehydration. They eye me suspiciously, what? I mouthed.

We catch up. Three hours feels like a minute, and time went unnoticed until the dreaded question is brought upon us. "Have you visited your dad? Or Trevor, perhaps?"

"Why are you asking me these depressing questions, gran?" I try to level my voice and keep the tone in which I speak just as cool. Even though as of right now, my throat feels like it's been stabbed a hundred times already. "Well, not really" I lie. Well, partly lie. I didn't mean to bump into Trevor now do I?

I had dinner at her place. Thankfully, we skip the whole dad and Trevor subject altogether. Surprisingly, the rest of the evening was spent talking about Sienna and her family drama. I think this is her taking one for the team, although we have yet to establish that. 

***

Not having anywhere to go, I go to McLaren's the next day. I might as well have lunch here, I kind of miss their hot wings. Upon my arrival, a certain blonde that I hope to see is still standing behind the stool serving the gentlemen surrounding the table. 

"Wait, what the hell!" He's wearing his white tank top, proudly showing his tattooed arm. Instead of a black bandanna, a red one is tied loosely on his head. "Swan!" He calls me by my nickname around here. Yes, the swan. Best believe that I try my best to not cringe at the nickname. 

The pub is emptying out when the clock strikes 3 pm, leaving me with Kedd and the other two guys with their big glass of beers. Why aren't they at work, I wonder. Then again, I'm also not at work where I'm supposed to be. Instead I'm halfway across the country chugging alcohol like it's milkshake. My hot wings are long gone. I am now accompanied with red bull chaser and vodka shots.

"I am so going to regret this red bull." I know that my combination of red bull and vodka will create one hell of a hangover. But I drink it nonetheless because it's the only chaser that doesn't make me sick. 

Since I've been here, he's been busy shuffling around his feet and cleaning. It's still very early in the day, and he's the only one present. Thus why he has yet to start a decent conversation since I've been here. "So, why are you here, and is looking forward to getting drunk so early?" He says finally, all his focus directed towards me.

We catch up. He tells me a crap load of stories, mostly about his customers. The half deaf banker who is now his regular, a mother of six kids that brings her kids to this place, a girl named Britainna, and finally Trevor. I am only half listening to him since the alcohol has finally taken over, but the mention of his name snaps me back into reality. "He brings over this crazy blonde so much," He shudders as he serves me my third drink of the day.

"But I can tell she hates it here. And I hate her here too." I know this tone of his. I know that he doesn't exactly hate her more so to be on my side. But that's fine, I guess I need that. A person to be on my side.

The bell hung on the door rings; "...and the devil shall appear" He whispers. Instead of looking at the entry, I start thinking. Do they get drunk here at noon, just like I am doing? Why does he bring her here? I thought he hates people who drink just for fun? Does he drink more than he did before? Does she drink more than I did?

"Do you think he knows I'm here?" I gulp my drink, and flinch a little bit at the end. I guess there's no getting used to alcohol, even if you've drink it a thousand times. He shakes his head, "Nahh..."

I didn't know how much I've downed. All I know is that I'll throw up if I take another glass. Huh, that's weird. I swear I started drinking three minutes ago. Is it possible to be drunk in three minutes? Unless you're a competitive drinker, I don't think so. It's like those people who eat 100 pizza pieces for like, 10 minutes!

"Kedd, can I have two-"

"Whoa, whoa, whoa! I'm the only one close enough in this pub to call him Kedd! I'm his favorite customer. Tell him Kedd!" I instantly regret this big mouth of mine. My head processes things so slow that I realize the familiar a little too late. "Well, if this isn't awkward." 

Kedd saw our story unfold, and he also saw it crash and tumble down considering that this is one of our go-to place almost everyday. The nasty break up caused me to stop coming here altogether, and I guess it doesn't take a genius to put 1 and 1 together.

"...Is she" I hear Trevor say.

"...she is" Kedd is trying so hard to keep his proudness over me to himself. I know that he wants to give me a high five for finishing all these drinks he serves. Who blame him? I wasn't at all familiar with the bar scene when I got here, but now I've become his trustee and score his mixes.

Sexy Coastguard, Amazonia... 

"When will you name a drink after me?" I ask with a hiccup following my sentence. "The Alicia, you could mix white wine with...I- don't know." My train of thoughts are lost as I see the blonde Kedd referred to a while ago. She looks like the girl that models for my magazine's fall cover. She's a lot prettier though...and skimpier. Is skimpier a word? 

I turn my head facing Trevor whose face becomes even more attractive with alcohol in my bloodstream. "She's got the looks but hun, woman to man, Shay looks so much better than her." I sip on my drink as if it is coffee, and we're talking about a business deal. Right now, I'm imagining myself in a navy suit with a suitcase full of money in my hand. We're watching over the city of Manhattan, wondering whether or not we should have another skyscraper built. 

"Are you mute?" I say to no one in particular. Not just Trevor, Kedd also fails to provide me with a response of any sort. Rolling my eyes, I ignore their lack of enthusiasm in taking part of the conversation and demand more drink from Kedd. "I like the sexy coastguard, let's try it on the rock now shall we?"

"Alright swan, in just a sec."  He serves two beers on the counter for the lovebird that is skimpy and Trevor, I could assume. 

I scoff, "beers? God, be serious right now." Kedd gives me a short muffled laughter, but ignore the situation altogether. He decide to remove himself from the drama, but still staying within an earshot while making me my drink. "At least I take my drink seriously."

I take the glass to the rim of my mouth without any chasers, "cheers"

Just as I down my drink, he decides to speak. "Wow, is your boyfriend that shitty, that he lets you flew away across the country, and get drunk by noon?"

"Ex fiancée, and yes he is. Shitty. "

"Tsk, what did you do now." He turns his heels and ended our conversation with a rhetorical question. 

I should have leave it at that. But the way that blondie is looking at me right now, like he's so scared that I'll take her lover is every bit of annoying. "Is she bothering you?" If she means that as a whisper, she fails miserably. "Are you alright?"

I hop off the chair, walking towards their direction. I slam the glass of drink in my hand to the table separating them. "You don't get to blurt out comments about my present life no matter how shitty it is. Yes, he did cheat on me with my best friend but...hey, it must be because I'm such a wacko, right?" This is the first time I say any of their names out loud since it all happened.

"You don't get to speak of me alright? Just..." I fish for my wallet inside of my bag, and left the first two bills of dollar I land my hand on. If its more than the price good for Kedd. If it's less, Kedd would certainly understand. I couldn't even walk straight, let alone read numbers.

"Sit. I'll call you a cab."

"Shut up, I can drive around New York blindfolded." I know I can't. My arguments are solely just to get out of here. I'll catch a cab once I'm out of this suffocating place, and call it a day.

"You'll end up killing other drivers and pedestrians."

"Or killing myself...which sounds tempting." He got a tight grip on my arms, and makes me wince a little. I don't even try to wiggle my way out of him because I know he's twice as strong as I am. Me being drunk won't help the situation either. "Fine, I'll catch my own cab. Now let go of me!" I negotiate instead.

Ignoring me, he starts pressing the screen of his phone to preferably call an Uber. I wonder if he has changed his number. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

110M 3.4M 115
The Bad Boy and The Tomboy is now published as a Wattpad Book! As a Wattpad reader, you can access both the Original Edition and Books Edition upon p...