If, and Only If || (Xiao x Re...

By kuroos_possession

Xiao, the Guardian Yaksha that serves for Rex Lapis was conquering demons on the West mountain. That seems to... More

ไธ€
ไบŒ
ไธ‰
ๅ››
ไบ”
ๅ…ญ
(Special Chapter)
ๅ…ซ
ไน
ๅ
ๅไธ€
ๅไบŒ
ๅไธ‰
ๅๅ››
A/N !!
ๅไบ”
ๅๅ…ญ
ๅไธƒ
ๅๅ…ซ
ๅไน
ไบŒๅ
Epilogue
New Book Is Out!
100k Special
GREETINGS

ไธƒ

31.2K 1K 2.4K
By kuroos_possession

Art: @starbottle on Twitter

A/N: (Just in case people haven't done the story quest for the Lantern Rite, there will be spoilers. And this is a long chapter, so enjoy.)

"Someone like me, kind? I've slaughtered
many innocent people. And you call me kind? Don't you pity me." Xiao's glare didn't faze her one bit.

"Who said I pity you?"

"Huh?"

"To me you're kind. And I have a different image of a kind person. You were kind enough to keep our little deal. You were kind enough to be interested about myself. You were kind enough to come to Dragonspine with me."

"But—"

"And that's the end of the story. No question. Say. Have you heard about wishing on a shooting star?" She changed the subject quickly, and Xiao was swept right along with it.

"No.."

"Oh."

"Why should I wish on a star?"

"Well... that's a good question. I don't know either. But." She created a star, a ball of light. And took out a small jar. She proceeded to put the small star inside the jar, that had a string attached to it. Xiwangmu took his hand, placing the jar with the star inside. And clasped her hand over his to close it. "If you ever feel like you are being succumbed by the darkness, look at this star. It will help you cope with it. And if you feel up to it, feel free to wish upon it, and this star shall guide you to your answer. Done." She smiled brightly.

Xiao opened his hand and stared at the small trinket. The star wasn't blinding. And it wasn't entirely big either. The jar was travel size, you could keep it in your pocket, or dangle it along with your other accessories on the side of your body.

"Why did you give me a star?"

"Must you question my every action?" She replied the same way he had, just for the fun of it. And Xiao huffed lightly, looking away. While gripping the jar tightly and kept it secured.

"Do use it. I'm sure it'll help you." She smiled. And is a smile Xiao wonders if he could ever smile so brightly as she does.

"Actually. Let's go back to Liyue. Liyue Harbor."

'What.'

And before he knew it, he was already at the outskirts of Liyue Harbor. The place he least wanted to go to. It was all busy getting ready for the Lantern Rite festival.

"You can stay here if you want. I'm going to go and get a Xiao lantern." She skipped off. Though who knew what she could get caught in.

"Do as you please." Xiao sighed. As she walked away. She was so far from him. Metaphorically, and literally. She was willing to communicate with the mortals he hated. She was willing to be near them.

Xiwangmu's hanfu made her look like some great person, and she didn't bother with changing. She loved her clothes.

She gathered the needed materials, and crafted the lantern. All she had to do was write her wish. Before she didn't think anything of it, like the others. But she's become accustomed to do the tradition. This year's Mingxiao Lantern was Skybracer. The statue of it was impressive. She's talked to skybracer once. And they were very bright and beautiful.

Xiwangmu decided to think of a wish near the harbor next to the huge statue. And when she walked towards it, she saw a blonde boy with unique clothes and a floating pixie, talking to what seemed like a treasure hoarder near the crate of materials. He seemed agitated and walked away.

"Hm.." She hummed. And eyed the situation. The blonde boy noticed her staring at the two, and she turned the other way, putting her brush and parchment away. He tilted his head to the side slightly in confusion.

"Wow. Paimon thought he would be a shady character, then he opened his mouth and now Paimon's sure of it!" The pixie told her partner. "Paimon has a bad feeling about this..." Then they proceeded to see what the guy was looking at inside the crates.

Xiwangmu found her way back up to Xiao after a while with her lantern in hand.

"I saw some shady guy near the flammables in Liyue Harbor. And a guy with blonde hair and a floating talking pixie." She explained.

Xiao knew who she was referring to. And he nodded and went to go see with Xiwangmu. The two looked at the ground and saw a symbol.

"I'm pretty sure he's a treasure hoarder." She squatted down on the ground taking a closer look. And looked around to see the blonde guy no where to be found.

After a bit they were talking, and the two oddballs returned.

"Wait, there's other people—" The 'Paimon' exclaimed.

"Xiao? What are you doing here?" The blonde boy said.

"Are you interested in the Lantern Rite?" Paimon asked.

"I have no interest in the lantern rite. I sensed a malign influence here. I'm here to investigate."

'Yeah, sure.' Xiwangmu thought.

"When a shackle is loosened in the realm of deities and demons, I take full responsibility. But this time, the threat comes from the mortal world— your world. Then you shall take full responsibility, mortal traveler." Xiao had his arms crossed. And move his chin up. "When the time comes, I hope you shall act promptly and decisively... I do not wish for the tassel of the polearms that has slaughtered countless demons to become stained with mortal blood."

"Are you done with your speech Xiao?" Xiwangmu called out narrowing her eyes at him.

"Hey—" He tried to retort.

"Who are you?" Paimon asked.

"She's—" Xiao got cut off again.

"Paimon, it's rude to not introduce ourselves first." Blondie said.

"Oh! I'm sorry. I'm Paimon! And this is Paimon's partner, Aether!"

"I didn't think you knew Xiao this personally." She said in interest.

"You seem close too." Aether said.

"I'm Y/N. Feel free to call me that."

"You wear traditional looking clothes." Paimon tilted her head.

"Yes, these are most comfortable."

"Now. Enough with the chit chat." Xiao looked grumpy.

"Xiao, you look grumpy." Xiwangmu pinched his cheek leaving it to be red and sting.

Paimon and Aether looked slightly startled with the exchange. That she just pinched the vigilant yaksha's cheek.

"W-whats this?" Paimon tried to change the subject.

"A symbol that your suspected evildoer left behind." Xiwangmu explained.

"Doesn't look familiar to Paimon."

"Well, you will have to show me how much you can accomplish on your own strength. Because if I become involved, there is a possibility that the streets of Liyue Harbor will be painted red this Lantern Rite."

"Then it's up to me to avoid that." Aether said.

"That sound terrible." Paimon shook her head.

"Come one, let's not be impulsive. Why don't we figure out the origin of this symbol first." Xiwangmu said, gathering their attention.

"The one the suspected criminal left behind... Oh!" Paimon suddenly exclaimed. They all looked at the floating child. "Paimon has a sneaking suspicion that Kaeya will know something about it..."

'I'm sure he does.' Xiwangmu thought inside her head. Like mentioned, she goes to Mondstadt for wine and such and sees Kaeya at the tavern quite often.... sometimes too often and she wonders if he actually does his job.

The two left leaving the other two adeptis alone.

"I'm sure you know where we're going Xiao."

"I do. But we'll follow them for the time being."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They finally made it to the treasure hoarders tent. There were two there.

"Sorry pal, wrong way." Treasure Hoarder 1 said. "Wherever you think you're going is that way."

"But isn't that the way to Liyue Harbor?" Paimon asked.

"Right. Here is nowhere. So the other way is Liyue Harbor."

"If you're looking for somewhere to stay, I suggest you go to Wangshu Inn. Fair prices, great customer service, and a wonderful view." Treasure Hoarder 2 said.

'What is up with that hat? It looks horrible on him. And he sounds like he's advertising Wangshu Inn...' Xiwangmu cringed.

"Show us the anonymous letter." Aether said straightforwardly.

"How do you know about the letter?" 1 said.

"Uh... one of Liyue's adeptis told us about it!"
A/N: (Remember, they don't know you're an adeptus.)

"Did they now? I somehow doubt that."

Xiao and Xiwangmu watched from the sidelines. Until Xiao walked over to them. Leaving Xiwangmu to watch.

"You should not doubt it. It was I who sent them here to investigate." Xiao walked over to the group. "Any further questions, you may direct to me." He crossed his arms like the boss he is.

Paimon screamed. "Did you just appear out of thin air!?"

"That's an adeptus for you." Aether said after, unfazed. And seemed expecting of it.

"You're the vigilant yaksha!?" Seemed 1 was named Bei'er.

"Hey! Watch your tone of voice! Or do you seriously want to pick a fight with an adeptus?" Paimon crossed her arms as well.

"Uh, okay. It's not that we don't believe you're an adeptus, it's just... everyone needs to look at the bigger picture here."

'Does he not believe he's an adeptus because he's short or something? Not wise...' She shook her head in disappointment.

"As you all know, we Treasure Hoarders are no serious threat to anyone. We're petty criminals, that's all."

"So if you are truly an adeptus, please... show us some mercy, would you?" They took out their weapons.

"Of course, if it turns out you're not a real adeptus..."

"Then please, don't blame our weapons for treating everyone equally..."

Obviously Xiao beat them up. And in the meantime Xiwangmu decided to saunter over to them, because she felt left out by just standing on the side.

The two put their hands together in a begging way.

"P— please my heroic friend! And adeptus buddy! Have mercy!"

"The letter is drivel anyway! It's not worth an armed conflict... just take it!"

"That didn't even last a minute." Xiwangmu huffed.

"How about that— Paimon knew it all along! Let's see what they wrote!"

They looked at the letter.

Xiao looked up. "I see.. then let us send these two to the meeting. The sender may be plotting something truly diabolical for the Lantern Rite. It seems they want to burn down the entire city." He pointed to the Aether and Paimon.

"Great, everyone's happy. You're good, we're good. However... these two don't look anything like us."

"It'll be fine. When we're in disguise, no-one will be wiser." Paimon smiled.

"It still seems like a long shot to me, but... with the help of an adeptus, hopefully everything will turn out fine..."

"Well, the safety of Liyue is in your hands now. Good luck— even the Treasure Hoarders don't want to see the city burned to the ground."

"Then it is settled." Xiao attempted to leave with Xiwangmu, but Aether stopped them.

"What is it?"

"Next time we meet..."

"Huh?"

"Let's make it somewhere with a view of the Mingxiao lanterns." Aether offered.

"I'd like to—" Xiwangmu was cut off this time.

"...I am not partial to crowded areas. Especially at this time of year. When this matter is resolved... come to Wangshu Inn. In previous years, the Mingxiao Lantern has been visible from there." And Xiao disappeared into thin air.

"Huh!? Wait—"

"He vanished! Did he go back to Wangshu Inn already?" Paimon asked. When they turned to Xiwangmu, she was gone too.

"Huh!? Y/N is gone too!!" Paimon yelled.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

She was on the patio top roof of Wangshu Inn next to Xiao, together looking at the sunset.

"Wanna know something?"

Xiao looked up at her.

"I found out, that my birthday was on the day of the Lantern Rite festival when they all release the lanterns." She turned her head to him.

"Is that so..?" Xiao mumbled, while his hand was on his left cheek resting his elbow on the railing.

"Yeah. Morax told me. You know the red tree I have in my forest? There was a tag with a date, and a message from Guizhong. Although I couldn't read all of the date so I asked Morax about it." She took out the said tag, she keeps as a commemorative, or 'lucky charm' inside her hanfu. Taking it everywhere she goes.

"Happy birthday..." Xiao said with a very very small voice.

"What was that?" Xiwangmu smirked.

"I said Happy Birthday.." His ears and face started getting red again, in embarrassment. And she laughed. He actually asked Morax about it yesterday when they met, and so he already knew about it. Xiao brought out a butterfly made out of leaves. And placed it on her open hand. The same way she did when giving him the jar with a star.

"Oh? What's this?" She held it up. The leaves looked very solid, and the butterfly looked like a butterfly.

"It's a butterfly I made out of leaves. Take it. It's an adepti amulet— staves off evil."

"Aw, how thoughtful of you Xiao. Wait. Did you have this ready for me? Does that mean you asked Morax about my birthday?? When did you two meet!?" She asked.

"Yesterday." He looked away.

"Xiao."

He turned to look at her, and she placed a small kiss on his cheek. Xiao got even more red, and placed a hand over the spot her lips touched on his skin.

"W—what—" He couldn't speak properly.

"My thanks, to you. I'm showing you that I appreciate the gift." She looked down at the butterfly and smiled to herself. Xiwangmu forgot how joyful it is to receive a gift to celebrate.

And Xiao saw how happy she looked and decided to leave it at that.

Aether and Paimon returned from their little meeting, and Xiao faced their way.

"So, is the matter resolved?" Xiwangmu asked.

"Yes, but—"

"—Good." Xiao replied.

"Are you really not going to see the Mingxiao Lantern?" Aether asked the same question again.

"No. As I said, I am not partial to crowded areas. Especially at this time of the year."

"The Mingxiao Lantern this year is Skybracer." Xiwangmu chimed in, with a bit excited voice.

"Yeah! It's a super impressive-looking giant deer, let's take a look together with you and
Y/N!" Paimon cheered. But Xiao didn't seem convinced in the slightest.

"Skybracer... huh. A Mingxiao Lantern nonetheless. A fleeting creation of the human hand. It means nothing to me. If this short-lived spectacle is one you wish to witness, I suggest you go to the city." Xiao finished.

The two frowned, at their declined invitation. And Paimon saw Xiwangmu holding the butterfly made out of leaves. And was intrigued by it.

"Woah! That butterfly looks so pretty!"

"I know, right? It's a birthday gift, and I like it very much." She smiled. And Xiao felt heat on his cheeks again. Before the two could notice, he dismissed them without another word.

"Come on, Xiao. Stop being so grumpy." Xiwangmu said returning to her spot to look at the sunset slowly.

"I am not."

"You're such a tsundere...." She mumbled with a playful expression. "Why don't you see what they'll do. I'm sure they won't just up and leave, without convincing you to go see the lanterns."

"..." Xiao just stared outside. The sun was almost gone and it was getting dark slowly, while the lights started to appear. And after a few minutes of waiting, Mingxiao Lanterns started to float up near the roof. The two looked surprised because they just suddenly appeared. And as if on cue, Aether and Paimon returned.

"What now?"

"We'd like you to come to Lantern Rite with us." Aether requested.

And Xiwangmu had a small smile, to see her expectations of the traveler come true.

"..We've talked about crowded places. Do not make me repeat myself. Best you go alone."

"They never said you had to go to Liyue Harbor." She sang. Making eye contact with Aether, and they both smirked. Two minds think alike.

"What is that supposed to mean?" Xiao looked between the two.

"You wouldn't go to the festival so we brought the festival to you." Aether put his hands on his hips. Seeming confident, Xiao will accept with a smile.

"'Brought the festival to me?'" Xiao asked again.

Paimon looked a bit impatient. "Okay, so there's a bunch of delicious snacks just laid out below the inn, and a bunch of Xiao lanterns, and there's practically no-one else around you have to worry about."

"There's even almond tofu, and grilled ticker fish..."

Now Xiwangmu was the one excited now. "Let's hurry up and go down there, the foods gonna get cold!" She cheered like Paimon.

"See? Y/N is excited, so let's go!" Paimon waved a hand over motioning them to get a move on.

They went down to the bottom of the inn, and there was indeed a food stall and a table all set and ready.

"Feast your eyes! The festival we brought to you looks mouth-watering and exciting, right?" Paimon floated next to Xiao and Xiwangmu.

"This is... the Lantern Rite festival you brought to me? Is there no end to the peculiarities of the human behavior?" He sighed. "Does it serve a grander purpose?"

"This way you can take part in the Lantern Rite." Aether answered.

"Is that so?... it is difficult to understand human emotions and motives." Xiao's demeanor softened.

"Less talking, let's get eating! The foods gonna get cold!" Paimon pointed at all of the food. And she giggled, "Paimon's gonna get the head start now!"

They sure took their leisurely time. While Xiwangmu tried to shove a lot of food in Xiao's mouth, as he tried to stop her from her actions. And they even brought her some wine, trying to get Xiao to drink it too, but he remembers last time and refused profusely. Paimon accidentally drank some, and Aether smacked her face to get her to pay attention to her surroundings. It was enjoyable. Very.

"Now! We're done with eating, let's go see the important part of the celebration!"

"Xiao and Y/N, come with us." Aether invited the two adeptis. And Xiao declined again.

"You guys should just go by yourselves. I'm not interested."

"But I am." Xiwangmu intervened. And Xiao slightly glared at her.

"You might as well keep us company on the way there." Aether looked at Xiao.

"Yeah, the Mingxiao Lantern may not be your thing, but... surely, there's so harm in taking a walk with us." Paimon pointed towards the road. "The road from here to Liyue Harbor is long and full of dangers... we need someone to ensure our safety!"

"We don't have to enter the city, we can see them off at the outskirts." Xiwangmu stood up from her seat, while talking. And Aether and Paimon nodded their heads.

"..." Xiao looked away. And saw Xiwangmu staring at him straight in the eye. He moved his eyes down, and gave an approving sound. "So be it. I shall walk you to the Harbor's outskirts."

"There we go! Alright, time to hit the road!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They stood on the mountain near the gates of Liyue Harbor.

"This is as far as we will go. Please see yourselves into the city." Xiao stated sternly.

"Wait a second."

"You still have a problem?" Xiao turned to Aether.

"You are obviously one of the heroes this festival is all about... why don't you want to get involved?" Paimon asked him.

"I... detest rabble. No care in the world, so peaceful, so joyful... they are nothing like me. Too long have I spent slaughtering, accompanied by the burden of suffering that follows in its wake. Crossing paths with all those jubilant people will only make me... that's all I have to say. Farewell." Xiao sighed.

"Are you sure you and Y/N don't want to go with us?" Aether asked one more time. He's persistent.

"Someone has to keep him company." Xiwangmu smiled, and Xiao glared again.

"Are you really so enamored with such trivial amusements?" Xiao directed towards the traveler.

"What do you think?" Aether asked him a question back.

"Hey! This is a legitimate festival, not some trivial amusement!" Paimon fired back. Clearly upset, Xiao insulted the Lantern Rite.

"Legitimate...?" Xiao pondered and mumbled to himself, as Xiwangmu was next to him so she heard every word. "Enough. Go watch those lights." He dismissed again. "But stay vigilant. Keep your eyes open for any menace. If you find yourself in trouble... speak my name."

"Sure you'd make it into the city in time to come to rescue?" Aether asked.

"I'll be there immediately."

"Wether yours or Liyue's, he hears all cries for help. All prayers for peace. And all wishes carried by the lanterns." Xiwangmu finished for him, taking the words right out of his mouth, while she glanced at the city down below with admiration of the many lights.

"...get going." Xiao instructed. Aether and Paimon nodded and left the two on the mountain. And saw their figure disappear, as they grew smaller and smaller.

Xiwangmu brought out two lanterns, out of nowhere.

"Did you just take out two lanterns from thin air?" Xiao asked.

"Mhm. Just like how you appear and disappear in thin air yourself." She handed one for Xiao who was reluctant to take it. She then wrote a wish she finally came up with. And seeing her excited expression again, Xiao had no choice but to write a wish as well. Xiwangmu put a star in each of their lanterns because they didn't have fire to light the candle.

A/N: (Feel free to listen or watch the video right here for a better experience.)
All the lights were out in Liyue. The statue of Skybracer lit up, and soon came to life. It took a step and another step, and ran in the air. Leaving steps of light to disappear as it moved forward. It took a jump up, and dived back down to the city. And as it ran around all of the lanterns and lights were lit up, and they all released their lanterns. Xiwangmu nudged Xiao to release his as well, as Skybracer passed by the gates of Liyue Harbor. Once they were all in the air, they two sat down. And Xiwangmu and Xiao looked in the air of all of the lanterns lit up, like stars. Xiao was amazed, and she was able to catch a glimpse of his smile again. The beautiful lights all drifted into the air, and became smaller and smaller. Xiwangmu remembered her being here with Zhongli and Guizhong a long time ago. She covered her face with her hanfu from Xiao as she felt her eyes tingle, feeling like she was about to cry. But still looked at the lanterns.

"Are you alright?" Xiao asked.

"Y—yes.."

"Are you sure?" He leaned closer, but she only leaned back covering her face, with a hand in front of her to keep distance from him and to prevent him seeing her expression at the moment. And Xiao was surprised, a shy, Xiwangmu? He tried to move her arm out of the way, and he got a glimpse of her red eyes, on the brink of tears. And her red cheeks of embarrassment. Xiao engraved that expression into his brain, like a kamera snapping a picture. He wished he had one at the moment to keep it.

"Do you have another name other than Xiwangmu?" Xiao changed the focus of the attention.

"Uh.. yes. Only Morax calls me it though."

"Oh. What is it?"

"Y/N."

"Well then, Y/N." Xiao looked at her with admiration at the same time, with a bit of adoration. And a playful smile of his danced on his face.

Y/N took her arm down, and took a peek to see Xiao looking back at the lanterns. She then created another star and tossed it into the air, and like the lanterns it blended into the clusters of light made by the others.

It was a great day. An enjoyable day. And all above else, possibly the most enjoyable day Xiao has had with Y/N.

A/N: I know the Lantern Rite story quest is long done by everyone, but I really wanted to add that into the story. And this is probably by far the most I've written. (4087 words.) Happy late Lantern Rite. :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.1K 252 36
!! Cancelled fic "๐‘€๐‘ฆ ๐‘™๐‘–๐‘ก๐‘ก๐‘™๐‘’ ๐‘†๐‘–๐‘™๐‘˜๐‘“๐‘™๐‘œ๐‘ค๐‘’๐‘Ÿ..๐ผ ๐‘ค๐‘–๐‘™๐‘™ ๐‘ ๐‘ก๐‘Ž๐‘ฆ ๐‘๐‘ฆ ๐‘ฆ๐‘œ๐‘ข๐‘Ÿ ๐‘ ๐‘–๐‘‘๐‘’.." FOLLOW KAZUH.YA ON TIKTOK BCS THEY RECOMMEND...
26.4K 1K 23
โ ๐šƒ๐š‘๐šŽ ๐šœ๐š๐š›๐š˜๐š—๐š๐šŽ๐šœ๐š ๐šŒ๐š˜๐š—๐š๐š›๐šŠ๐šŒ๐š๐šœ ๐šŠ๐š›๐šŽ ๐š๐š‘๐š˜๐šœ๐šŽ ๐š๐š‘๐šŠ๐š ๐šŒ๐š˜๐š–๐šŽ ๐š๐š›๐š˜๐š– ๐š‹๐š•๐š˜๐š˜๐š.โž Thousands of years ago, Rex Lapis made a con...
660 26 17
"๐™Ž๐™๐™š'๐™จ ๐™– ๐™ฅ๐™ง๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™˜๐™š๐™จ๐™จ ๐™–๐™ฃ๐™™ ๐™ฎ๐™ค๐™ช'๐™ง๐™š ๐™–๐™ฃ ๐˜ผ๐™™๐™š๐™ฅ๐™ฉ๐™ช๐™จ. ๐™๐™๐™–๐™ฉ'๐™จ ๐™จ๐™ค๐™ข๐™š๐™ฉ๐™๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™œ ๐™ฃ๐™ค ๐™–๐™ข๐™ค๐™ช๐™ฃ๐™ฉ ๐™ค๐™› ๐™ฅ๐™ค๐™ฉ๐™ž๐™ค๐™ฃ ๐™ž๐™จ ๐™š๐™ซ๐™š...
118K 4.1K 16
There's a legend that a ghost appears once every year, during the lantern rite. She wanders aimlessly through Liyue with no apparent goal other than...