The Fire We Started | Wildfir...

By amelierhys

{18+ COMPLETE} For the past three years, Bren Hadaway has been preparing to die. When he was sixteen, he wat... More

Foreword
AESTHETICS
ONE
TWO
THREE
FOUR
FIVE
SIX
SEVEN
EIGHT
NINE
TEN
ELEVEN
TWELVE
THIRTEEN
FOURTEEN
FIFTEEN
SIXTEEN
SEVENTEEN
EIGHTEEN
NINETEEN
TWENTY
TWENTY-ONE
TWENTY-TWO
TWENTY-THREE
TWENTY-FOUR
TWENTY-FIVE
TWENTY-SIX
TWENTY-SEVEN
TWENTY-EIGHT
TWENTY-NINE
THIRTY
THIRTY-ONE
THIRTY-TWO
THIRTY-FOUR
THIRTY-FIVE
THIRTY-SIX
THIRTY-SEVEN
THIRTY-EIGHT
THIRTY-NINE
FORTY
FORTY-ONE
FORTY-TWO
FORTY-THREE
FORTY-FOUR
FORTY-FIVE
FORTY-SIX
FORTY-SEVEN
FORTY-EIGHT
FORTY-NINE
FIFTY
FIFTY-ONE
FIFTY-TWO
FIFTY-THREE
FIFTY-FOUR
FIFTY-FIVE
FIFTY-SIX
FIFTY-SEVEN
FIFTY-EIGHT
EPILOGUE - MADELINE
EPILOGUE - BREN
AUTHOR'S NOTE

THIRTY-THREE

11.4K 572 328
By amelierhys

I was floating.

The bathtub was large enough that I could sink down into the water and float on my back, completely stretched out. Tipping my head into the water, I let my hair swirl around me in the suds. With a gradual arch of my spine, my breasts peaked through the surface, the cool air hitting them. I squeezed my eyes shut, letting the darkness and water wash over me.

The only thing that I could hear was my own heartbeat and gentle breaths.

And then my deep moans, echoing through the water.

Because a hot mouth had covered my nipple and was sucking on it. A tongue swept over the tip, flicking lightly. I arched my back further, giving more access.

My entire body was senseless, weightless. All I could feel was the light caress of bubbles skirting along my curves beneath the water—that, and the silken kisses that were pleasuring me above the surface.

All I could hear was my own body responding to being touched. All I could see was the dancing dots on the inside of my lids, a monochrome kaleidoscope.

Bren's mouth moved to the other breast, and I arched even further, dunking my head back into the water. My lips parted, breathing above the surface while my body pulsed beneath it.

His name flew from the tip of my tongue, and the water absorbed it.

He was all around me.

And then suddenly, he was gone.

I sighed, resigned to floating once more. But Bren caught that sigh with his mouth, surprising me as he kissed me gently. A hand slid into the water, cupping the back of my head. And then Bren's kiss deepened as he held me there, keeping me from going under completely.

He'd never let me go under completely.

Warm water caressed my cheeks and hot breath hit my skin. His tongue flicked across my bottom lip, licking a drop of water off of it. Our heavy breathing vibrated through the still water, filling my submerged ears. Everything was muted, muffled. Everything except for the sounds we were making. Bren's light moan was amplified beneath the surface as his mouth moved slowly over mine.

It wasn't an urgent kiss. But that didn't mean it wasn't hot. God, the water must be a million degrees.

Just as I was about to tug on Bren and pull him in with me, he vanished. Lips dragged off of mine. The hand released me.

I waited for him to reappear, but to my disappointment, he didn't. I let my body soak and float again, relaxing for a moment before I pulled myself into a sitting position. The water dripped over me, cascading in quickly cooling rivulets. I slicked my hair back with my hands, wiping away the moisture on my face before opening my eyes.

Bren sat on the edge of the bed beside the tub, wearing a pair of sweatpants and nothing else. His arms were crossed over his bare chest, and I couldn't help but notice the way his fists were clenched, forearms tensing. Veins rippled, briefly drawing my attention. His eyes were hard and dark, but his smile was soft.

"And that's why I'm not getting in with you," he said, giving his brown hair a shake. The ends were a little damp. "I can't help myself."

I drifted to the edge of the bathtub before rising onto my knees and looking at him pleadingly.

"Madie," Bren said with a warning note in his voice. His eyes flicked over my exposed torso before trailing back to my face. "I just want to talk to you for a little bit."

"Talk to me from the other side of the tub," I said, pointing next to me. This thing was easily big enough for both of us. It wasn't the only part of the hotel room that was over the top, either.

The old-world elegance of the Cardairel lobby hadn't made its way into the upper floors. Instead, there was a modern flair to the guest room that made me think of Beau's beach house. The furniture was angular, the lighting moody, and everything looked like it would cost half of my college tuition if I broke it.

"I'll be good," I added, tilting my head to the side as I flashed Bren a coy grin.

Bren laughed, and it was deep. Pleasing to the ears. And everything else. The sound hit the pit of my stomach.

"Madie baby, you've been anything but good tonight."

He had a point. And I didn't regret a single minute of it. My smirk only grew as I wiggled on my knees, letting the water slosh around me.

"It's not you that I'm worried about, though," Bren added, mumbling. He gave another little shake of his head as he watched me dance around in the tub.

I decided to go for another approach. Because there was really nothing I wanted more than to feel his skin slide against mine beneath the bubbly surface. "Bren, we only have tonight. Come hold me."

I batted my eyelashes at him unapologetically.

"Actually," Bren said, and my stomach fluttered at that little word. "We have more than just tonight."

My flickering lashes stopped. I stared at him, daring to hope. I dared to hope that he meant we were going to have many nights. I dared to hope that he was coming back to Oakland, that we would be together again.

But then Bren said, "I have the room until Sunday."

Equal parts disappointment and excitement mingled in my chest. It was better than just one night. But it wasn't forever.

I really wanted forever.

But I swallowed my feelings and glanced about the hotel room again. We never really bothered turning all the lights on before, and the room was cast in shadows. My eyes swiveled to the wall made entirely of glass. The city lights twinkled just beyond the edge of the bathtub. Sitting in it, I felt like I could reach out and touch them.

"How the hell did you afford this room for two nights?" I asked, looking back at him.

Bren shrugged. "Caroline helped."

"That was really nice of her," I said softly.

Bren shrugged again. "She asked what I wanted for my birthday, and I said that there was only one thing I wanted. And I couldn't have it." He cleared his voice. "And then when I announced a week later that I was coming for this, she booked the room for me." A dry laugh slipped through his lips. "She said she's going to pretend that we're just gonna cuddle all night long."

I wanted to laugh. But I couldn't.

"Bren..."

He'd been staring at his hands. At the sound of his name, his head jerked up. He raised a brow, questioning.

"It's your birthday?" I asked breathlessly.

A guilty, lopsided grin appeared on his face. "On Wednesday."

I splashed some water at him, and he laughed.

"When were you going to tell me?" And then I groaned inwardly before he had the chance to reply. "Shit, how did I not know when your birthday was?"

Bren shrugged. "It's not a big deal, baby."

"It's definitely a big deal, Bren Hadaway." I flopped back against the curve of the bathtub. "Oh my god, I'm the worst."

That was the thing about Bren and me, the thing I was reminded of frequently. We fell in love before we really knew everything about each other. We didn't need to know everything.

But shit, I should have known that.

That soft smile on Bren's face wouldn't go away.

"Stop that. You're not the worst," he said.

I narrowed my eyes at him.

"What?"

After biting on my bottom lip for a moment, I said, "I'm just trying to figure out what to do with my birthday boy. Especially now that I know I've got him for another night."

A light in Bren's eyes flared. He uncrossed his arms and leaned back on the bed in a way that made every muscle in his upper body flex momentarily. I needed to explore those muscles some more.

"So you'll stay here with me until Sunday?" he asked, and that smile of his was undoubtedly naughty. I loved it. And him.

I pretended to contemplate it even though there was no way I'd ever leave. "Only if you get into this tub with me right now."

Bren rolled his eyes, but he didn't protest any further. He chucked his sweatpants off before stepping into the bathtub and sinking down across from me. His legs wrapped around mine, lining the curve of the porcelain.

He was purposefully not touching me as much as possible, and I wanted to roll my eyes back at him.

But I didn't. I leaned forward, watching him with a smile. He smiled back.

I'd give him a few minutes to feel like he'd won before I scooted over there and rested my head against his chest. That was all I wanted—just to be close.

But then Bren's grin fell. He stared pointedly at my shoulder, and I followed his gaze to the faded purplish marks there. The same marks that Nessa had carefully helped me cover up with make-up earlier today, make-up that had obviously washed off. And from the angle I was sitting, a light leaking from the crack in the bathroom door hit my upper body just right, illuminating it.

Brodie's damage was on display, and Bren was swallowing hard.

"What's that?" he asked tightly, nodding to it.

When I didn't reply right away, he added with a dry laugh, "Please tell me that you clipped your shoulder on a door frame or something before my imagination runs wild."

I opened my mouth. But I had no idea what to say to that. Because I definitely didn't clip my shoulder on a door frame. Unless that doorframe could be considered a football player's giant hand, holding me against a wall.

So I sat there, my mouth gaping open.

At my silence, Bren's eyes shifted from my bruise to my eyes. And any trace of humor drained from his face.

He sat forward, his hands gripping the sides of the tub.

"Madie?"

🤍
A lot of you pointed out that Bren wasn't the only one who was keeping things in the dark.

How do you think this is gonna go?
xoxo a

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.2M 108K 55
Hoping for no distractions during her senior year of college, Ryan finds herself in a whirlwind romance following a one-night stand with the last per...
301K 9.3K 41
"You have lost your mind, what the hell do you think you're doing?" She yells at me. "Don't start with me." "I'm not starting shit, Elijah! This was...
184K 6.5K 32
"As you said yourself, you know me." "But I don't, not really," He starts, studying my body swiftly and making my breath catch in my throat. Shivers...
88.7K 3.5K 34
𝐼 𝑤𝑎𝑛𝑡𝑒𝑑 𝑡𝑜 𝑏𝑒𝑔 ℎ𝑒𝑟 𝑙𝑖𝑘𝑒 𝑎 𝑙𝑖𝑡𝑡𝑙𝑒 𝑏𝑖𝑡𝑐ℎ. 𝑆𝑜 𝑡ℎ𝑎𝑡'𝑠 𝑤ℎ𝑎𝑡 𝐼 𝑑𝑖𝑑, 𝐼 𝑓𝑢𝑐𝑘𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑏𝑒𝑔𝑔𝑒𝑑 𝑙𝑖𝑘𝑒 𝑎 �...