My Silver Lining (Marvel/Star...

By catalan_andrea

Miranda Rambeau, formerly known as Ayla Breha Shan, is the adopted daughter of Maria Rambeau and younger sist... More

Chapter 1: The Decision
Chapter 2: The Reunion
Chapter 3: The Mission
Chapter 4: The Death Wish
Chapter 5: The Encampment
Chapter 6: The Child
Chapter 7: The Jawas
Chapter 9: Getting The Child Back
Chapter 10: Escaping Nevarro
Chapter 11: Sorgan
Chapter 12: Nightmares
Chapter 13: A Glimpse Into The Past
Chapter 14: Taking Down The Raiders
Chapter 15: The Bounty Hunter
Chapter 16: Tatooine
Chapter 17: The Betrayal
Chapter 18: The Mercenaries
Chapter 19: The Job
Chapter 20: Getting Even
Chapter 21: You Are Not My Mother
Chapter 22: Clan Of Two
Chapter 23: The Mistake
Chapter 24: Returning Home
Chapter 25: Time Heist
Chapter 26: The Battle Against Thanos
Chapter 27: Leave It To Ayla
Chapter 28: The Djarin Family
Chapter 29: The Talent Show

Chapter 8: The Mudhorn

206 7 0
By catalan_andrea

Once the morning arrived, we arrived at the Jawas' camp, where their ship stood beside them. The Jawas had several tents with parts from Mando's ship, lying on the ground along with some droids. Upon seeing Kuiil, the Jawas waved. Kuiil waved back before speaking in a different language.

I noticed that Mando took out his rifle, prepared to use it if necessary, which I was hoping he wouldn't have to. Everything seemed to be going well...until they saw Mando. They let out a yell as they raised their blasters.

"They really don't like you for some reason." Kuiil commented.

"Well, I did disintegrate a few of them." Mando confessed.

I scoffed. "More like a bunch of them."

Mando said nothing, but turned his helmet towards me. No doubt he was glaring at me. I merely shrugged, knowing I was right. Kuiil then climbed off the blurrg before turning to face the Jawas. One of the Jawas spoke up in their language. Kuiil gave the Jawa a nod before turning back to face Mando. "You need to drop your rifle."

"I'm a Mandalorian. Weapons are part of my religion." Mando shot back.

"Then you are not getting your parts back." Kuiil retorted.

Mando let out a sigh, reluctantly putting down his rifle onto the sled. Mando and I then climbed out of the sled. However, one of the Jawas pointed at Mando. Kuiil immediately translated for us.

"And the blaster." Kuiil added.

Kuiil then walked towards the Jawas, commencing to speak in their language again. I watched as Mando glanced down at his blaster. No doubt he was contemplating whether or not he would put his rifle down.

"You'll be fine. I doubt the Jawas will want to remain on your good side." I pointed out.

Upon hearing my words, Mando took the blaster out of his holster, putting it down onto the shed. R8 then hopped off the sled, but I stopped him, raising my hand. "Hold on, R8. You should stay with the child."

R8 let out a sad low beep, but obeyed, remaining behind with the child. With that, Mando and I made our way towards Kuiil, who was with the Jawas. We sat down on the ground on top of blankets next to Kuiil. The Jawas sat across from us. One of the Jawas spoke to Kuiil in his language. After a few moments, Kuiil translated his words for us.

"They will trade all the parts for Beskar." Kuiil commented.

"I'm not gonna trade anything. These are my parts." Mando argued. "They stole them from me."

Another Jawa then spoke up, but Mando grew frustrated as he spoke in their language. However, he must've said something wrong as the Jawas all laughed, but at least he was doing his best. That Jawa that Mando interrupted spoke again.

"You understand this?" Mando asked, raising an arm.

Mando then fired a flamethrower he had on his wrist. The flames quickly made their way to the Jawas, who let out shrieks. They quickly ducked, avoiding the flames. My jaw dropped in shock. I quickly snapped out if it though as I reached out, grabbing his wrist. The flames died down at once. Mando quickly turned his helmet towards me.

"What do you think you're doing?" He inquired.

"Stopping you from hurting them." I protested. "Killing them won't solve anything."

"It will get me my parts back." Mando argued.

"There are other ways to deal with this situation. Like peacefully talking to them." I suggested.

Mando scoffed. "We've tried that."

"Enough! "Kuiil exclaimed.

"He started it." I pointed out.

"I don't care who started it, I'm ending it. You both need to stop this childish bickering." Kuiil scolded us.

Both Mando and I muttered amongst ourselves, but neither of us dared to argue against Kuiil. The Jawas let out snickers upon seeing our banter. I narrowed my eyes at them.

"You still want to reason with them?" He questioned.

I glanced back at Mando, doing my best to keep my anger within me. I took in a deep breath before speaking. "Yes, unlike you I can remain calm."

"I can remain calm." He retorted, raising his voice.

I raised an eyebrow. "Oh really? Well, you're raising your voice right now."

"I'm not raising my voice." He shot back.

Kuiil gave us a warning look, causing us both to shut up. He let out a heavy sigh before turning to face the Jawas. "He is Mandalorian. He cannot give you his Beskar armor. What else may he trade?"

At that moment, a Jawa pointed to something behind us. All three of us turned around, seeing two Jawas surrounding both the child and R8. My heart dropped. But before I could say a word, Mando spoke up, sounding furious.

"Get away from it!" He snapped.

The Jawas around them quickly scurried away from the sled. I then saw the Jawas, pointing at R8. My heart clenched. I'm not selling him. However, Mando could careless what happened to my droid as he blurted out. "We can trade the droid."

I immediately glared at Mando. "No, the droid's not for sale."

"There must be something else." Kuiil insisted.

I watched as the Jawas exchange looks with one another for several moments. Then, they looked back at us. A Jawa spoke in his language. Once he finished, the Kuiil placed a hand on his forehead. I furrowed my brows. What did he say? Mando turned towards Kuiil, tilting his helmet. "The egg? What egg?"

That's what they were saying? The Jawas all chanted the same word over and over again, annoying all three of us. I was still baffled like Mando. What egg were they talking about? After Kuiil explained to me that there's a mudhorn not far from here in a cave, we all made our into the Jawas' giant ship. We were all in the cockpit with the Jawas, who continued chanting the word egg in their language, which annoyed us. As we continued our journey, the ship crossed over a mount, causing us to jump up.

Unfortunately, Mando hit his helmet against the ceiling, causing him to groan out in pain. The Jawas all let out a laugh, causing Mando to turn his helmet towards the Jawas. No doubt he was glaring at them. As soon as we were near the cave, the Jawas stopped their ship, opening their hangar door. R8 stayed behind while the child, Mando, and I made our way to the cave, Mando raised his gloved hand towards me.

"Stay with the child." He advised as he took out his pistol.

"But I can help you." I offered.

"Don't need your help, jai'galaar." He shot back. 

I felt my anger boiling inside me as I clenched my fists. I felt frustrated, not knowing the meaning of that damn word.

"Do you even know what you're going up against?" I questioned.

"Nope, but it shouldn't be that hard." Mando retorted.

Without letting me say anything else, he walked into the cave. Reluctantly, I waited outside alongside the child. I glanced over at the child, who looked back at me, letting out a coo. I gently placed a hand on his head.

"Don't worry, little one. I'll keep you safe no matter what." I assured him.

The child just smiled as he cooed. After a few minutes, we heard several blasts followed by a loud roar. Then, Mando was flung out of the cave, landing in mud beside us. I grimaced. That's got to hurt.

"So do you need my help now, metal man?" I teased.

"No, I don't." He retorted, climbing up onto his feet.

At that moment, I felt sudden rage. A creature with brown woolly fur, small brownish yellow eyes, one huge horn, and flat teeth. That must be the mudhorn. It let out a mighty howl. We watched as it charged towards Mando, who was trying to fire a blast at the mudhorn with his rifle. However, nothing happened. No doubt his rifle was jammed. He fumbled with his rifle, making me nervous. The mudhorn finally reached Mando, knocking him back to the ground with its horn.  

"Okay, Rambeau!" He called out.

"I'm sorry did you say something?" I inquired.

"Really?" He asked.

"You have to say it, tin man." I shot back.

He let out a groan. "...Fine, I need your help."

I took out a dagger from my belt before turning to face the child. "Stay here, I'll be back soon."

I then ran towards the mudhorn, shouting out. "Hey!"

The mudhorn whipped around to see me. It let out a roar before running towards me. I clutched the dagger closer to me as I kept my gaze on the mudhorn to time this right.

"Get out of there!" Mando shouted. "Rambeau!"

I ignored his warning as I waited for the mudhorn to head in my direction. Once soon as the creature was close enough to me, I jumped up in the air, missing the mudhorn. The creature looked around, confused before it whipped around, spotting me.

"What's wrong? Can't keep up?" I taunted.

"I don't think antagonizing it is a good idea." Mando warned as he slowly climbed back up on his feet.

I scoffed. "What's it gonna do?"

I heard growing not far from me. I whipped around to find the mudhorn just a few feet away from me. I quickly took out my I.C.E.R. gun, but before I could fire at it, the mudhorn tackled me to the ground, covering me in mud. I let out a groan. The creature then tried to ram me, using its horn. I put my gun back in my belt before grabbing its horn, trying to push it off of me.

"Get off of me!" I exclaimed.

Despite my words, the mudhorn remained on top of me. As I struggled, Mando fired a blast, hitting the mudhorn's side. Unfortunately, it did nothing. The mudhorn let out a roar before turning around. The mudhorn then saw the child inside his cradle. My eyes widened in terror. The creature let out a growl before running towards him. Mando quickly pressed some buttons on one of his vambraces. At once, the cradle moved out of the way, away from the mudhorn. The creature ended up hitting the side of mountain. My shoulders slumped in relief. The child was all right. The mudhorn quickly recovered though, turning around before running for Mando. He raised one of his vambraces towards the creature.

As soon as the mudhorn approached Mando, he fired his flamethrower, causing the flames to surround the creature. The creature backed up away from him. However, his flamethrower died down, causing the mudhorn to let out another roar. It was gonna try and hit Mando again. My heart clenched. I had to help him somehow. Without thinking twice, I ran in front of the mudhorn, planning to jump on its back. I locked my brown eyes with its brownish yellow eyes as I raised my hands, preparing myself. You better stay back, mudhorn, or things are going to get ugly. At that moment, the mudhorn fell back into the mud just a few feet away from us, baffling me. What happened? Did it trip over something? Mando then fired a grappling line, holding onto the creature for dear life. The mudhorn did its best to shake off Mando as it ran around. Unfortunately, Mando let go and the mudhorn spun around, ramming him with its horn. He fell back into the mud. My stomach dropped.

"Mando!" I exclaimed.

"Stay with the kid!" He advised.

"But what about you?" I questioned.

"I'll be fine." He assured me.

Reluctantly, I ran behind Mando, standing beside the child. I watched as Mando slowly climbed up from the mud. His breastplate was destroyed, prepared to fall apart at any moment. The mudhorn, who was now furious, slammed its horn against the mud as it growled. Mando then took out a knife, pointing it towards the creature. I anxiously watched as the mudhorn charged towards us. However, before the mudhorn could reach any of us, it stopped. Then the creature was lifted up in the air, surprising me. Mando and I looked at each other before turning to glance at the child. The kid had both of his eyes closed with his left hand raised in the air. I then realized what was so special about him. He must be a Jedi...that's why father was so worried about the Imperials getting to him. He must be the last of the Jedi.

I watched in awe as the child remained high up in the air. After a few moments, the child lowered his hand before falling back into his cradle. The mudhorn then fell onto the ground. Mando quickly rushed towards the mudhorn, piercing its eye with his blade. The creature let out a cry before collapsing onto the ground. Mando stabbed the mudhorn again to make sure that it was dead, which it was. I then turned around, looking inside the cradle to find the child, lying down with his eyes closed. I placed a hand around his neck, feeling his pulse. I let out a sigh of relief.

"He's all right. I'll stay with him." I offered.

Mando gave me a firm nod. He then made his way towards the cave, while I remained by the child. After a few minutes, he returned out of the cave with the egg under his arm. Together, we made our way towards Kuiil, R8, and the Jawas. Kuiil and R8 were standing by the sled. Kuiil waved his hand up in the air. "Miranda! Mando!"

"We have it. We've got the egg." Mando stated.

The Jawas, who were inside their huge vehicle, rushed down towards us. As soon as they surrounded us, they extended out their hands, eager to take the egg from Mando. Once they took the egg from Mando, the Jawas made their way towards the boarding ramp of their ship. The other Jawas surrounded the Jawa holding the egg, who lifted it up into the air before cutting it open with a knife. They then stuffed their hands into the egg, grabbing the yolk before stuffing into their mouths. I grimaced as the continued eating the egg. Mando merely shook his head. We then made our way towards Kuiil and R8, who quickly rushed to my side. He let out several high pitch beeps, bombarding me with questions like if I was all right and what we'd do next. I raised my hands.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, slow down, R8." I advised. "I'm fine. And don't worry about that, we'll see what happens. Right now, we'll help Mando return his parts to his ship."

I glanced over at Mando, who overheard my conversation with R8, gave me a nod. "Thank you."

I gave him a small smile in return. Mando then turned to face Kuiil. "I'm surprised you waited."

"I'm surprised you took so long." Kuiil shot back. 

"We had some troubles." I explained.

The Jawas then gave us back Mando's parts, which we stacked in the back of the sled. Then, we made our way through the canyons towards Mando's ship. As we made our way back to where he left his ship, Mando explained to Kuiil what the child had done with the mudhorn. Kuiil was taken back upon hearing the story. He glanced over at us, still trying to process what Mando told him. "Is it still sleeping?"

Mando placed a hand on the cradle before looking down at him. "Yes."

"Was it injured?" Kuiil inquired.

"I don't think so. Not physically." Mando commented.

"Explain it to me again." Kuiil urged. "I still don't understand what happened."

"Neither do I." Mando admitted. He then looked over at me. "Do you know what's going on?"

To be honest, I had an idea of what was going on. But it wasn't enough. All I knew was from Luke had gone through in Star Wars, and who even knows if he's actually real. So with that in mind, I decided to keep this to myself.

"No, I don't have the slightest clue..." I trailed off.

Mando gave me a nod. We then remained in silence as we sat in the sled. Once we reached Mando's ship, night had reached us with the moon high up in the sky. Luckily, Kuiil had brought a light with him, which he set up near the ship before turning it on. Kuiil hopped off the blurrg, while Mando, R8, and I climbed out of the sled.

"There's no way we're gonna get this to work without full maintenance facility. This is gonna take days to fix." Mando mentioned.  

"If you care to help, it may go faster." Kuiil shot back. "There is much work to do." 

"I can help as well." I offered. 

Mando turned his helmet towards me. "You would help me?"

"Of course." I shrugged. "And, I was actually hoping you could give R8 and me a ride? My ship's destroyed, we crash landed."  

Mando turned his helmet towards R8. I immediately knew what he was thinking, since he made it very clear that he hated R8. With that in mind, I spoke up. "R8 won't be in your way."

After a few moments, Mando turned around to face me. "Fine, you can both come along."

The three of us then got to work, putting all the pieces and components into where it belonged. We worked the entire night and into the morning, which we finished as the sun rose. Once we finished, Mando, Kuiil, R8, the child, and I were all inside the cargo hold. 

"I can't thank you enough. Please allow me to give you a portion of the reward." Mando insisted.

Kuiil immediately shook his head. "I cannot accept. You are my guest and I am therefore in your service."

"I could use a crew member of your ability, and I can pay you handsomely." Mando offered. 

"I am honored, but I have worked a lifetime to finally be free of servitude." Kuiil explained.

"I understand. Then all I can offer is my thanks." Mando mentioned. 

"And I offer mine. Thank you for both bringing peace to my valley." Kuiil praised.

With that, Kuiil walked out of the ship and onto his blurrg. He then turned towards us, raising his hand. "And good luck with the child. May it survive and bring you a handsome reward. I have spoken."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

912 22 15
The Mandalorian gets more than he bargained for when he takes a risky job in exchange for information on a Jedi. Preferring to work alone, he is frus...
34.5K 675 49
Helia Halcyon is a bounty hunter working with the Bounty Hunters' Guild. Helia has a dark past that she has done her best to suppress. She does her b...
97.1K 3K 19
17 year old Kara Nightshade was born on a mysterious planet, Kaitara. People believed it was just a fairytale. On that planet, people possessed great...
7.6K 113 16
High school is one of the hectic moments of a person's life, but it can also be one of the best. Anakin Skywalker has a girlfriend and good grades, b...