Pins and Needles | Todoroki...

By cityscape_starlight

*Book 1 of 2; Complete* *Previously titled "Fire Melts the Ice of Uncertainty" * *She/her* THIS WILL SOON BE... More

Important Details (And Disclaimers)
Welcome to U.A.'s Hero Course
A Hazy Memory and the Fog of Distress
A Festival of Competition with Unsuspected Reunions
A Fairy in the Forest, Spinning Worries into Wonders
With Every Power You Possess
What is a 'Good Home?'
Just Remember What You Saw Here Today
The Most Heroic are Those Who Hate Heroes
The Fault of the Willing, Punished for Willpower
How I've Missed Thee So
It's Just Fact
I'll Be Your Boyfriend
The Sorrow Masked By Shock
A Sickening Feeling of Devastation and Failure
Welcome Home
You Can't Control Life, Princess
Love Potions are Brewed the Same as Storms
A Pale Dance Dusted Rose
The Most Intelligent are Those Who Know Their Own Stupidity
A Day Two Years in the Future
A Peculiar Face, the Expression of a Paradox
An Adventurous Patrol
The Ripped Fabric of Society, Bleached White in Faux Purity
The Icy Fingers of a Child's Loose Grip (on Reality)
What it is to Save a Life
A Whisper of Goodnight and Goodbye
Book 2: A Crying Night Sky

The First Step Which Shatters a Bone

76 1 3
By cityscape_starlight

・・・ ・・・ ・・・

     Funny enough, (Y/N) was again paired with Ashido for whatever this training exercise was.  Something about it sounding American was all she managed to pick up.  Ashido informed her it was a 2-on-2 where one team played the bad guys and one the good guys.  
     They were allowed to watch the other teams while they fought.  The first was team A, heroes, versus D, villains.  She didn't know anyone on either of the teams.  She didn't really watch it at all, just zoned out, but it seemed like kind of a big deal once she finally focused on everyone again.  She stayed in for the next fight.  It was 6-Arms and Half-Ice against Invisible-Chick and Tail-Dude.  Half-Ice was able to freeze the entire building, trapping the villain team on the fourth floor.  
     Once it was finally their turn, they simply wandered up the floors.  Ashido found the weapon with one villain and (Y/N) found their teammate, who she quickly captured.  Ashido was able to get around the other and get the weapon, so they won.  

     The next day, she sat alone at lunch.  There were people at her table, though definitely nobody in her class.  She had eaten quickly and was marking down all of her plans and ideas she'd had throughout the morning.  If she didn't, she might not remember what came after what.  
     Suddenly, there's some type of bell ringing.  She heard some kind of intercom announcement, but she didn't listen.  (Y/N) figured it was telling them to get back to class for whatever reason, or maybe calling for a student.  She continued finishing the scribbling she was doing before lazily standing up.  By the time she glanced around, the cafeteria was deserted and all of the food was still there. 
     She sighs to herself at the sloppy students, wandering over to the trashcan where she dumps her trash.  Lunch felt much shorter that day, so she assumed she must be tired and eating slow. 
     She turned into the hallway to be met with another wall, this time of people.  Nobody was moving forward but they were all slammed up against each other.  One of the boys from her class was pinned against the wall above a doorway, finishing up some speech about acting properly.  
     They all wander their way outside.  It was maybe an hour before they were allowed to go back in, though thankfully the teachers weren't getting onto anyone for using their phones.  She wasn't sure if anybody explained anything but she didn't think they did.

     "Hey, hey, we should go around and introduce ourselves to everyone!"  The boy with bright red hair shouts.  "I'm Kirishima Eijiro, and my quirk is Hardening."  (Y/N) had only barely tuned in because she'd finished a set, so she nodded idly to herself as they all went around.  Some didn't, mainly the angry blond.  She tried to keep all of their names in her head, but there was a decent amount of people, and suddenly, all of them were looking at her.  It was her turn.  
     "U-Uh, (S/N) (Y/N)," she stutters.  She hadn't expected it to come around to her so fast, she was decently close to the end.  
     "What's your quirk, (S/N)?" Kaminari questions.  She pauses, blinking a few times.  What should she say?  She didn't really want to talk about it.  But they were all staring at her, waiting for an answer.  What should she say?  What were her options?  How would she-
     "I-I don't have a quirk," she stumbles.  It was the first thing that came to mind, though probably not the most logical one.  They all stared in silent shock.  
     "Bullshit," the blond barks.  "Nobody gets into this school being a quirkless baby."
     "Bakugo!" Iida scolds.  
     "That is crazy, though!  How did you get past the robots without a quirk?" Sero asks excitedly.  At least that was a question she could answer.
     "My dad is one of the engineers who makes robots for hero schools.  I know how all of their wiring works and I know all of their weaknesses."  Her father and she always bonded making these, and he made decent money for it.  She knew the materials that would mess with their sensors and the tiny sliver they couldn't detect and when they would slow down from overheating.  Of course, the entrance exam was a cakewalk with all that.  
     "Wow, really?  That's so cool!" Ashido exclaims.  "So you knew exactly what to do, huh?"  (Y/N) happily nods.  
     "Actually, I got through it by rewiring one.  He has a small dent on the underside of his right forefoot and his wiring was always janky, but we let him go.  I flipped the sensors from the robots being allies to the other robots being enemies, so he was a good distraction."  
     "That's amazing!" Kirishima announces.  "I was just punching them around but you were totally messing with their heads!  I mean, robots don't have heads, but it was the same."  
     And finally, they continued around the circle.  

     Their hero training today was some sort of large-scale rescue training at an off-campus site.  (Y/N) wore her gym clothes.  She still didn't know what her hero costume would even look like.  Frankly, she didn't really care.  She'd never wanted to be a hero, it was her mom who had pushed and begged and pleaded for her to try out for U.A.  It was unfortunate she got in.
     "Wait, who is that?"  (Y/N) asks Ashido as the class was dazzled by someone who looked like a marshmallow.
     "That's Thirteen, silly!"  Ashido states.  "Do you know any pro-heroes?"  
     "Um, not really.  I mean like All Might and... stuff.  But I don't really follow pro-heroes and all.  I don't watch the news."  
     "How do you plan on being a hero without having an idol?"  Ashido laughs.  (Y/N) awkwardly laughed along.  She knew U.A. was probably the last place for her to be announcing that she really didn't care about heroes and villains at all.  It was neat, yeah, and the balance of justice was nice, but she didn't really... care.  
     They wander inside, standing in the foyer as Thirteen introduces the place.  It was grand, that was true, though (Y/N) still wasn't necessarily excited about it.  
     "...yes, but it is a power that can kill easily."  Thirteen states.  "Some of you also have quirks like that, right?"  (Y/N) blinks a few times, trying to mentally process.  In a few short moments, she had decided she hated this woman.  She knew in her rational mind that it wasn't directed for her, but she hated her.  
     And with that, she was back in her head.  She wasn't thinking about what she normally did.  She was seething, honestly, with rage.  

     "Gods."  She huffs to herself.  She wasn't really listening to whatever some of them were murmuring about, probably raising praises.  She was annoyed they'd hired so many people to show up here and play villain.  She was extra angry that they had lied about what they were training for today.  And, she remarked to herself with a scowl, if they were going to get whoever they could, could they at least make them easy on the eyes?
     She crosses her arms, wondering why they were getting closer.  Shouldn't the teacher have let them get started on this training by now?  Or was he planning on letting them all get acquainted first?  
     "Fine."  She whines to herself in a low whisper.  Maybe if she just charged in there, they'd all go for it, too, and then she could drop out and hide.  Maybe she'd get expelled for running in and then she wouldn't have to be at a hero school anymore.  
     So, (Y/N) begins towards the stairs.  Their teacher was getting prepared to jump down.  She watched until he did, but nobody cared to follow, making her huff yet again.  She slings her body over the railing, falling fast as she slid her hand down the wall in a pathetic attempt to slow her speed.  Thankfully, she was able to grab onto a tree branch which immediately jerked her to an almost stop and she hit the ground just outside of view with no injuries.
     Can I really get this many people?  There's quite a few.  She thinks, glancing around to make sure she saw each of their faces.  
    She decided to go for the creepy hand guy.  Since he wasn't doing anything, he was probably thinking out an attack plan, so he was going to be the most trouble once the time came.  She didn't know if she could even hold the big purple dude next to him, and she certainly couldn't hold Mr. Vortex, who quickly disappeared.  
     And the script these guys had!  They really could only come up with "League of Villains!"  (Y/N) almost chuckled to herself as she hid in the treeline.  What a stupid name.  She figured people hired by U.A. would be more creative than that.  

     I don't want to.
     I don't want to.
     I don't want to.
     I nee-
     I can't.
     I don't want to.
     Think.
     I don't want to use it.
     But what else can I do?
     I have nothing with me.
     I don't want to.  
     I don't want to.
     I don't.
     I don-
     But I need to.
     But I don't want to.
     I don't want to.  
     She huffs in a sigh.  Pulling back her leg, she lunges forward and kicks the concrete wall with all her force.  She watches as her leg splinters and shatters.  Then she watches as the legs of the villains' splinter and shatter alongside hers.

     "It's pathetic to lose against a single child,"  Todoroki states.  His breath fogs with the same ice the villains were now trapped in.  "Get a hold of yourself.  You're an adult, aren't you?"
     He glances over towards the plaza as a unanimous scream erupts and almost all of them drop to the ground.  His eyes next trail to the spewing water from the shipwreck zone.  It peppers the whole arena in a light rain.
     "'Scatter you and kill you,' huh?"  Another puff of foggy ice in the face of terrified villains.  "I hate to say this, but you just look like guys with quirks they didn't know what to do with."  The ice crinkled and crackled as he began forward, satisfied with his doing of them.
     "Th-This guy...  The instant we warped here...  Is he really a kid?"  The leader of the small squad whined.  His tongue was the only part of him that could move freely.
     "O-Ow."  Another moans.
     Todoroki's eyes narrowed at the floor, wondering what their big plan was.  These guys were exceptionally underwhelming.  One screams and lunges forward, easily frozen in ice as Todoroki steps to the side to grab the spear that would've been in his skull by then if they weren't so obvious.  It easily snapped under the cold and the user fell forward.
     "Hey,"  He starts, looking over at the one who wasn't on the floor.  "at this rate, your cells will slowly die.  I want to be a hero.  I would like to avoid something so cruel if possible."  The ice crunched, his right hand hovering over the shivering man's teary eyes.  "On what basis do you think you can kill All Might?  What's your plan?"

     She huffs to herself.  It wasn't like she had a knife or anything.  She glances around, noticing a perfect stick.  She quickly lays flat on the floor and reaches for it.  If she left her aura, she'd have to do this all over again.
     She smirks as she stands up, taking in a breath.  It always felt nerve-wracking to do, even though she knew she wouldn't feel any pain from it.  Then, with a deep breath, she glances around and stabs the stick into her eye.
     Her vision blurred and she lost all sight for a few moments before it quickly healed.  The scream that radiated from the central plaza was truly heart-wrenching, but she was in too angry of a mood to care.
     "Fuck."  She grumbles.  Her teacher was now entangled with the creepy hand guy she thought she had been watching.  Of course, she couldn't hold him and attack everyone else at the same time, but she hadn't noticed his running approach.  "Fuck, I'm so sorry, sensei."  She murmurs.  Nobody could hear her, but it was a bit soothing for herself.
     He quickly lets go and she immediately catches him.  If she could at least hold him, at least not let him move, surely her teacher —of whom she still didn't know the name of— could fend for himself.
     She tries to track the movements of two guys quickly approaching, but she had to watch them from her peripheral so she could keep the creepy dude in check.
     "Wait!"  One hisses in a whisper.  Both freeze.
     "What?"
     "I think that's the one we're not allowed to hurt."  (Y/N)'s eyebrows scrunched.  "(H/C) hair, (S/T) skin, (Y/H) tall.  Didn't boss say she sometimes doesn't make eye contact when she's focused?"  That was her description, but she wondered why she was taken off the target list.  Then again, she probably wasn't and it might've been a way to get her to relax from their approach.
     "Shit!  What do we do?  She's fighting against us."
     "Just..."   His voice trailed off, and they moved out of her sight, which was a really bad thing.  Then, a hand was over her eyes and she was yanked back, silently screaming.

     The best she could do was bite.  Bite and tear flesh from bone.  Neither man was particularly strong, so when she finally managed a hand free, her only weapon —that being a simple, sturdy stick— was shoved straight into his gaping mouth.  He coughed and hacked up blood all into her hair, but immediately let go.  She didn't bother with the other as she held a hand to her head, attempting to avoid the dripping thick liquid as she chanted.
     She scrambles up the stairs and onto the railing.  She hoped none of the students nearby would come to ask her what she was doing.  She looks over at the scene, observing faces as best as she could while they fought and danced in the air.
     "ALL MIGHT!"  She screams at the top of her lungs.  She was never loud, and that combined with her pounding heart and aching jaw: it hurt.  "GET OUT OF THE WAY!"
     The second he was out of her direct eyesight,  she tipped forward and jumped.
     Her eyes were wide open, fixed on the beak and open brain.
     "Watashi wa ikite ite, ubawareta, arehate teta; anata wa shinde ite, kyūmin shite ite, mezamenai."  She chants as she falls, both hands on her head as if it would help more than the one.  "I am alive, deprived, and forsaken; you are dead, dormant, unawakened.  I am alive, deprived, and forsaken; you are dead, dormant, unawakened.  I am-"
     And her head hit the floor.

     Todoroki, Bakugo, Midoriya, and Kirishima stood against the wind, arms raised and eyes peaking between them.  They watched the fistfight in amazement.  They watch as the Nomu's head suddenly burst, flinging blood and ooze across All Might and the floor.  They watch as All Might, unaffected, lands a punch into the center of its stomach, and it goes flying, shaking the whole stadium.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 29.8K 19
(Y/n) has the same quirk as Todoroki's right side. She works at the hospital as a part-time job and meets Todoroki Rei, his mom. How will Todoroki re...
746K 22K 28
"Its just..." her eyes were brimming with tears. 'No please dont cry,' I silently begged, 'I can't stand to see you hurt.' "...I-I dont want to see a...
837 4 8
Hi everyone so I've been burnt out lately but I've also had many ideas that I'm not sure I want to make a whole separate book for since in the past I...
82.9K 2.6K 42
ᵃ ᵏᵃᵗˢᵘᵏⁱ ᵇᵃᵏᵘᵍᵒᵘ ˣ ʳᵉᵃᵈᵉʳ - 𝐂𝐨𝐦𝐩𝐥𝐞𝐭𝐞𝐝 - "𝚆𝚑𝚘 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚑𝚎𝚕𝚕 𝚊𝚛𝚎 𝚢𝚘𝚞?" 𝙰 𝚋𝚕𝚘𝚗𝚍𝚎 𝚋𝚘𝚢 𝚊𝚜𝚔𝚎𝚍 𝚢𝚘𝚞, 𝚢𝚎𝚝 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚌...