RULES | JJ MAYBANK

By Madallie

john b and his twin sister, on an adventure to find their father who went missing to have a good time all the... More

cast list
two.
three.
four.
five.
six.
seven.
eight.
nine.
ten.

one.

14.2K 98 225
By Madallie

"jj you dont just swoop on women, this is why you got rejected by agatha"

we're the pogues, and our mission this summer is to have a good time, all the time.

"That's what a three-story fall to the deck?" Pope asked John B who was dangling one foot off the roof of a building. "I give about a one-in-three chance of survival."

"Should I try it?" John B yelled down to Pope.

"Yeah, jump. I'll shot you on the way down!" Pope yelled pointing a drill gun up at John B, pretending it's a gun.

"You'll shot me? Pew!"

"They're gonna have Japenese toilets with towel warmers," Kie said coming out of the building, me following right behind her.

"Of course they are why wouldn't they?" JJ asked Kie, knowing that by the size of the house it's definetly a Kook's.

"This used to be turtle habitat, but who cares about the turtles, I guess?" Kie asked sarcastically, then she looked up at John B on the roof. "Can you please not kill yourself?"

"Can you please kill yourself?" I asked my brother, to which he flipped me off.

"Don't spill that beer I'm not giving you another one!" JJ shouted at John B.

As he said that John B dropped the beer off the roof, "Oh, shit."

"Of course you did."

"Hey, uh, security's here. Let's wrap it up," Pope called from the lookout spot.

"Boys are early today."

"Humpty Dumty let's roll."

We all ran through the house shouting and laughing. JJ somehow got tangled up with the officer before pushing away and yelling, "Not much of a hugger man!"

I followed behind him as the officer struggled to stay balanced.

"Go Pope, go!" me and JJ yelled over and over as we jumped the fence. Pope fell and groaned before I helped him up.

"Come on ya'll!" Kie said opening the sliding door of the Twinkie.

"Check out Gary, gunnin' for a raise," Pope said.

"Slow down. Slow down," JJ told John B who was driving the van.

"You're gonna give him a heart attack," Kie said as we all continued to laugh.

JJ hung out the door dangling the beer in his hand, "You're so close! You can do it. There you go." JJ threw the police the beer.

I pulled JJ back in the van as Kie told him to stop. "Oh come on. That sort of initiative is just begging to be punished," JJ told us.

the outer banks, paradise on earth. its the sort of place where you either have two jobs, or two houses. all right theres figure eight, the rich side of the island. home of the kooks. so, guess where we dont live. and then, theres the south side or the cut. home of the working class, who make a living busing tables, washing yachts, running charters. the natural habitat of... drumroll, please... the pogues. that's us. pogues, pogies, the throwaway fish. lowest member of the foodchain. okay. so, the downside of pogue life is were ignored and neglected. but the upside of pogue life? were ingnored and neglected, which means we do whatever we want, whenever we want.

first theres my twin brother john b. our father went missing nine months ago at sea. he still thinks hes alive, but we both know he wouldnt get lost at sea. thats really his only personality trait is being my twin brother, because lets be honest im the hotter twin and that means everything.

second theres jj mine and john b's best friend since the third grade. hes about as local as they come. latest in a long line of fishing, drinking, smuggling, vendetta-holding salt-lifers who made their living off the water. best surfer i know. just dont tell him i said that. mild kleptomaniac and a future tax cheat.

then theres kiara, or kie as we call her. when she not saving turtles or listening to marley, or getting a dolphin tattoo, she hangs with us. were not really sure why though. she's a rich kid actually. foot in both worlds. her family owns the wreck, this outer banks institution. total cash cow with the tourists. you know, im not really sure how her parents feel about us.

and last theres pope, the brains of the operation... finalist for the Lucas. T. Vanderhorst Merit Scholarship. and the smartest person i know. little bit of a weirdo. his fathers this legendary character, heyward. anything you wanted on the island, heyward could get it for you. now, im not sure what heyward knew to make of his oddball son, but it didnt matter. he was a pogue, just like the rest of us.

so thats my crew.

me and john b live in an old fish shack on the marsh. the chateau, as our dad used to call it. our mom split when we were three. last we heard, she was in colorado. i think it was colorado. since dads vanished, uncle t's supposedly our legal guardian. at the moment, he's in mississippi, building houses... which means its just us, on our own hanging out with our friends.

"John, y/n it's come to our attention that you are unemancipated minors living on your own," some woman said honestly I didn't really care. All me and JB had to do was lie our way out of this again.

"No... no," John B lied.

"I need honesty to help you. That's what we all want, right?" the socail woker asked.

"We are being honest," I told her.

"Okay, then when is the last time you two spoke your uncle?" she asked.

"34 minutes ago," John B stated.

"And the last time you saw him?"

"Two hours and... 43 minutes ago?" John B asked me to which I nodded my head.

"We're going to come out there tomorow to talk to your uncle. If he's not there, we're going to move forward with foster care. I want to assure you, we're going to find you both safe and loving homes," she explained.

"Excuse me but did you say homes? Like more than one?" I asked.

"Sadly yes, there aren't many people who want to take in more than one child so you will most likely be seperated," she explained.

"Are you insane?!" my brother yelled.

"JB," I warned.

He sat back down, his teeth clenched, "You will still get to see eachother, just not as often."

they actually thought we were going to be happy to hear that. and that's were this story starts. my dad missing, my uncle MIA, and the bride of frankenstein threatening with foster care. but then we caught a break. hurricane agatha, coming in the same day DCS was supposed to do our assessment.

"It's a double overhead bro," Pope told John B as we made our way to the water.

"Double overhead?" me and John B asked at the same time.

"Those aren't surfable waves," Pope told us.

John B laughed as I started to run towards the water, "Says who?" My twin brother chased after me as I reached the water.

I climbed onto my board before attempting to lift myself up. As I did so the water pushed me back down, and I came up to a laughing John B.

He tried to do the same but also failed in the process yelling, "Oh shit," as he fell down. I laughed as he reserfaced.

I saw John B staring out into the ocean and I paddled up beside him, "JB what are you-" I was cut off by seeing a boat crashing and turning in the waves. "Holy shit."

"What the hell?" John B asked as he wiped his hair out of his face.

-

The next morning I awoke to a rooster crowing. I groaned as I sat up in bed making my way to the kitchen.

I made myself a bowl of cereal before going down to the dock where I usually eat.

I dangled my feet over the edge looking out into the water.

I loved listening to the water, it always calmed my nerves. More now that dad's missing.

After I finished I took the bowl I went back up to the house and sat it in the sink before turning to go outside to meet John B, and JJ.

Earlier I must have been to tired to notice the mess of what the yard was, or I could just care less with how hungry I was. But now that I was full, I could tell that this place was a shitshow.

"I'm thinin' that storm surge pushed all the crabs out on the marsh maze. All those drum are going to chase the crab," I heard JB tell JJ.

"What about the DCS? Wasn't that today?" JJ asked us as I stood on the boat next to John B.

"Nah, they're not gettin' on a ferry," JB told him.

"Come on think about it-" I said as me and JB finished together, -It's God tellin' us to fish."

I went back up into the house and changed into and navy blue bikini. I slid on some jean shorts and one of JB's flannels.

I joined the boys on the boat and we made our way to pick up Pope and Kie.

"It's kind of a smugglers boat," John B told JJ.

JB was driving, JJ was standing on an elevation, and I was standing behind John B holding onto his shoulders lightly so I woudn't fall to my death.

"Sure hope Guffy's boat didn't sink. He doesn't have insurance," JJ said.

"Hi, Miss Amy! You guys get through it?" John B asked the woman standing on the deck.

"Still here," she answered.

"She totally looked at me," JJ whispered to John B.

"I saw it," my brother agreed.

"Phsycopaths," I scoffed and laughed.

"Look at this place," John B said as he whistled.

"Agatha, what did you do?" JJ asked.

"She is a crazy lady," John B said.

"Like I said pure phsycopaths, your talking to a hurrincane," I scoffed and laughed again.

"Well, look you we have here," the boys say as we pull up to the dock Pope and his dad , Heyward, were standing on.

John B cuffed his hands over his mouth, "We have a safety meeting attendance mandatory," he mimiced static like he was talking into a walky talky.

"I can't my pops got me on lockdown," Pope told him.

"Come on man," JJ faked static. "Your dad's a pussy. Over," he faked static again.

"Oh, I heard that, you little bastard," Heyward told JJ.

"Come on Popes daddy, you can't leave me with these two phsycopaths," I complained.

"We need your son," me and JB yelled out.

"Yeah, and island rules. Day after hurricane's a free day," JJ added on.

"Who the hell made that up?" Heyward asked.

"Uh... Pentagon, I think. We have security clearance. I have a card," JJ told him.

"Do you think I'm stupid?" Popes dad asked us.

"No, no. We didn't say that Popes daddy," I smiled innocently.

Pope and his dad started fighting back and forth.

"Get in the boat," John B whispered.

"Make a run for it."

Pope made a run into the boat and started telling JB to go.

"Bring your ass back up here," Heyward told his son.

"I promise to do it tomorrow, dad," Pope told him.

"When you get back your gonna clean shrimp, your gonna clean fish, you'll clean your dirty-ass room!" Heyward yelled at his son.

"We'll bring him back in one piece, I promise!" John B yelled.

"And I don't like your friends!" he finished.

"Aww, we love you too Popes' daddy!" I yelled back smiling and waving innocently.

I turned back to the boys before saying, "I don't think he likes us very much." We all laughed as we drove to get Kie.

-

"Oh, top o' the mornin' to ya," JJ said in an awful Irish accent.

"Morning boys and girl," Kies said as she walked down her dock.

"You got some juice boxes?" JJ asked.

"You know, just some yogurts and carrot sticks," Kie said jockingly.

"How about my kind of juice boxes?" JJ asked as he reached out his hand to help Kie on the boat.

"Yeah."

"Brace for impact," JB said in a low voice.

Pope and Kie sat at the front of the boat, and John B drived. I sat on the back, while JJ just kinda did his own thing.

"Salud," Kie said.

"Skoal," JJ cheered.

"Let me show you a party trick," JJ said as he made his way to the front of the boat. Kie and Pope moved to the back and I stood up. "Could you go a little faster please?"

"Here we go. I'm movin'," Pope said as he was now driving being the only one who wasn't drinking and I didn't feel like dieing today.

"It doesn't work. We've tried this like 6,000 time," John B complained as I switched him places.

"I got this. It's gonna work," JJ told us.

JJ held the bottle out infront of him, and I laid down behind him to scare him.

Kie complained about him getting beer in her hair while I stayed focused on what I was doing.

"All right. All right! All right, stop!" Pope and John B yelled at JJ.

I felt the boat jerked forward and I slighty hit my head on the boat before being tossed into the water.

I resurrfaced tasting a bit of blood in my mouth where I assumed I had busted my lip.

I heard groans coming from up where the boat was, "Shit that shit stings like when you can't take a shit," I mummured to myself.

"Are you two alright?" John B asked me and JJ.

JJ groaned before saying, "I think my heels touched the back of my head." I laughed and began to swim back to the boat.

"Pope, what did you do?" JJ asked.

"Sandbar. The channel changed," Pope answered.

"No shit," me and JJ said.

"Ugh, this is probably gonna mess this whole this whole place up," John B complained.

"Hey, I saved the beer though," JJ said.

"Congrats, JJ," John B said.

I noticed Pope looking at something in the water, so I followed his gaze. I looked to see what looked like the top of the boat but I couldn't really tell.

To get a closer look I dived down and when I got pretty close the rest of the Pogues joined me.

I let out some bubbles, and saw little tint of blood in the water, but it faded quickly.

Someone grabbed my arm and tugged me up with them.

"You guys saw that right?" JJ asked the other as I was already making my way back to the boat wanting to get the taste of blood out of my mouth. "That's a Grady-White. A new one of those is like 500 Gs, easy," JJ said as I climbed on the boat. The others following close behind me.

I began looked for some sort of cloth I could use to stop to bleeding. I spotted a water bottle and began to swish it in my mouth and then spitting it out into the marsh.

"That's a primo rig," JJ stated.

"Yeah that's the boat me and y/n saw when we surfed the surge," John B said as I make my way back over to the group on the other end of the boat.

"You two surfed the surge?" Kie asked us.

"That's right. Pogue style," JJ said laughing.

I felt more blood come to my mouth so I took some more water in my mouth swishing it around then spitting it out.

"Wait, do we know whose boat that is?" Pope asked.

"No, but were about to find out," John B said as he opened up the the anchor hold and reaching out for the anchor.

"Dude, it's to deep," JJ warned him. I knew he wanted to see what would happen though. He just didn't want to get in trouble for incouriging him in front of Kie.

"Oh, for the weak and feeble, JJ," John B said pulling out the anchor.

"Well, I'm not resuscitating you. I'm just making it clear and up front," JJ told him, my brother still stuggling with the anchor.

"Can I come?" I asked hopefully.

"Yeah, yeah. Whatever," John B said nudging me to the side of the boat he walked behind me.

"Guys," Kie warned.

"What?" John B laughed.

"Diver down, fools," Pope told us.

"Diver down," me and John B said at the same time. John B wrapped his arm around my waist so I could float down with him.

"Yeah they are!" JJ said pushing me and John B into the water.

We floated down for a few seconds before John B let go of my waist and we both swam into the boat.

I held onto one of the metal poles on the boat he swam up to the drivers seat. I watched him pull out key and turn to me smiling.

I pointed up and swam out of the boat, before pushing off and floating to the top. Me and JB came up at the same time.

We both coughed and gasped a little from being out of breath.

"Oh, my God. That took forever!" Kie complained.

"Any dead bodies?" Pope asked as JJ helped me up onto the boat.

"Looting potential?" JJ asked pulling me onto the boat by my waist so I wouldn't fall off... again.

"No. No." John B gasped still trying to hold himself up in the water. "We found this motel key."

"A key?" Pope asked.

"Yes, a key, Pope. You know they open doors, sometimes safes, or-" he cut me off.

"I know what a key is y/n," Pope scoffed rolling his eyes at me.

"Great! We salvaged a motel key," JJ said as they all helped John B onto the boat.

"Guys, we should report the wreck to the coast guard. Mabye we'll get a finder's fee," Kie told us hopefully.

"Yeah, and not work all summer. Thanks, Agatha, ya batch," JJ said.

"Again with talking to a hurricane. Either you a pschycopath, or you have a crush on it. Wait that would also make you a pschycopath," I said and everyone laughed, but JJ.

"Hey at least I have a crush, you haven't had one since third grade on that Joshua kid," JJ said holding his arms up in defense.

"Who said I didn't have one, blondie?" I asked him.

"Ohh, who is this mystery man?" he asked.

"Um, his name is Arron, but he's already dating Agatha. So, I guess were both out of luck," I told him. Everyone laughed nd we continued to drive towards the coastguard.

-

JJ and John B went to report the boat, but came back with no luck.

"Well, that went well," Pope said sarcastically.

"So, what's the plan?" JJ asked John B.

"I think I know how we're gonna find the guy who owns that boat," John B told us.

"Hell yeah! Adventurs with the Pogues episode 371!" I exclaimed excited. "Oh JJ don't worry that girl Agatha, the one that turned you down, she can some to," I said and jumped as I turned around.

"We don't know whose room that is. It could be anyone," Pope warned us.

"I'm in," JJ said taking the key from John B's hand and passing it to Kie.

"Come on. I'll be lookout," she said catching it.

""Finder's fee. Just saying. And, hey, at least you'll only be an accomplice," John B said trying to reasure Pope, but failing miserably.

"Man," Pope complained.

"Come on, bubba," me and John B said at the same time.

We rode in the boat to the motel that the key belonged to, hoping to find something. Anything really to make our summer more interesting, or to get a finders fee.

JJ whistled, "I thought the Chateau looked bad." The motel was absolutely wrecked, who knew JJ's girlfriend could do such a thing?

"This place is a shitshow," John B stated.

"Motel or meth lab?" Kie asked.

"You be the judge," Pope said.

"Doesn't look like a place somebody with a Grady-White stays," John B said.

"No. Looked like a place someone with a Grady-White would get killed," I told my brother.

"All right. Here we go," JJ said hopping on the top of the boat. "This is your captain speaking. HMS Pogue comin' in for landing," he said in a statiky voice, before jumping off the boat.

"We good?" John B asked JJ.

"Yeah, we good," JJ responded.

"All right here go's nothing," John B sighed getting off the boat.

"Hey," Pope said turning to JB.

"Yeah?"

"Don't let him do anything stupid," Pope warned my brother as I hopped off the boat.

"Oh, we will," JJ said mockingly.

"I'm not making any promises," John B said turning towards me and JJ.

"Yeah, I know," Pope sighed.

"Uh, be careful," Kie told John B handing him the key. "I mean it."

"Yeah. Let's go," he said tapping JJ on the shoulder.

The three of us made our way to the hotel and towards the room.

"Why are all these mattreses out?" John B asked me and JJ.

"After a hurricane, they ditch 'em 'cause they're moldy," JJ told him before teasing him. "Just be so careful John B."

"God, you're so weird," John B told JJ while pushing him away.

"What was that about?"JJ asked my brother.

"I don't know. Maybe she wants us to be careful," John B answered annoyed.

"I would like to interject, that she only told you to be careful. Not us," I told my brother. "Come to think of it thats kind of rude, I'll have to talk to her about that later."

"Since she heard you're being threatened with exile, she's just been, like. "Oh! Be so careful John B," JJ moaned.

"Get off."

"Just give me that John D already. When are you gonna swoop on that, man?" JJ asked my brother.

"JJ you don't just swoop on women. This is why you got rejected by Agatha," I rolled my eyes now annoyed with the boy.

"Hey you don't have a boyfriend," he said raising his hands in defense.

"I could get one if I wanted too," I said reffering to Rafe Cameron. We flirt with eachother, since I'm friends with Sarah.

He's changed alot from how he used to be though. And none of the other Pougues know that I'm friends with either of them, the Kooks don't either. It's like our little secret.

"Anyways. You know the rule. No Pogue-on-Pogue macking," John B told us.

"I still don't get why we need that rule. I mean John B your my brother, Pope's like my brother, and JJ's just a background character," I told the boys and laughed.

"That's offensive," JJ said putting a hand over his heart sarcastically.

"Beside's JJ. You're the one always hitting on her," John B told him.

"Tat' is very, very true JJ. He 'bout to end your career. Oh, wait your just a background character," I said and John B laughed.

"Of course I'm hitting one her. She's a super-hot, rich, hippie chick slumming with us," JJ said ignoring my comment completly. How I love to bully him. "Why? I can't figure it out either, but who cares, bro? I know that doors locked because I've tried it. Have you?"

"You need help. Not like a littled help, you need a lot of help. It's like every girl who has a heartbeat, you're like... Uhh!" John B mocked JJ.

"Boys the door," I said gestering to door number 29 infront of me.

JJ pushed me out of the way of the door by my waist, before knocking on the door in a pattern and saying in a high pitched voice, "HouseKeeping."

"Should we try it?" John B asked us.

"No, let's head back. Yes bitch ass open the door!" I yelled at my twin brother.

"No power. No security cameras. No one's gonna know," JJ told John B who was already opening the door.

"You know I could snitch on you two, then I wouldn't go to jail for 'realizing my issues' and I'll be able to go on this adventure," I told the two boys.

"The sad thing is that I could see you doing that," JB said opening the door fully.

"Check the bag see if there's a name on there somewhere," John B said referring to the black bag on on of the beds.

"Do it yourself lazy ass," I told him. He rolled his eyes but did as I said. I think all the boys are scared of me personally and I love it. A lot.

"Got a jacket - denim slides - no name on the jacket. It's a nice jacket though - definetly over fifty hes got new balances." John B and JJ said back and forth to eachother.

I walked over to the coffee table to look at the papers on it. There was a map with cordinates on it, and a couple of sticky notes. One had the numbers 61666 on it, like a code. But I couldn't see a safe.

JJ joined me before saying, "Yo, dude, come here. Maybe this is where they were fishing."

JB came on the other side of me pushing me out of the way, "I guess I'll go look in the bathroom then."

I looked around the bathroom and then a couple of seconds later JJ followed me, again.

"Ooh," JJ said looking at a bag that I had already looked through.

"Did you find anything?" John B asked.

"A really awesome Dopp kit you won't let me steal," JJ complained.

"Yeah, 'cause we're not stealing shit," me and John B said at the same time. If I didn't metion earlier we have this wierd twin thing where we say things at the same time, alooot. It used to freak out our friends but they got used to it, I think.

JJ didn't listen, like usual and put a bar of deoterant in his pocket.

"Seriously? That's the best you can do? Put it back," I told him.

"No thanks," he said slighty laughing.

"What are you gonna do when it's used and you get some sort of armpit diabeties? Hmm?" he quickly put it back in the bag. "That's what I thought."

"Punching shit at random. That will... definitely work," JJ complained.

"Wait you found a safe?" I shuffled back over to the table and grabbed the code.

I walked back to the boys and pushed my brother out of the way. "61666," I said under my breath before the safe beeped three times signalling that it opened.
"Holy shit," me and JB said.

"Uh... JJ?" John B called.

"Hm?" that was a hot sound right there. Shut that fuck up Sally.

"You're gonna want to see this," my twin finished.

There was alot of money and a gun, which I was praying JJ wouldn't see. But of course that was the first thing he went for.

"You grabbed the gun," I said to myself. "Of course you did."

"This is a SIG Saur," JJ said.

"Put the gun down, JJ!" me and JB yelled.

"This is a fucking spendy gatt, man. Just... Bam! Bam!" JJ said fake shooting.

"I don't have time for this," I said walking towards the door and opening it slightly. I saw cops coming and quickly shut the door hoping they didn't see me. "Shit."

"Guys!" I whisper shouted. They were still fighting and didn't hear me.If they are going to get caught I'm not going down with them.

I walked towards the window and opened it climbing out. Already seeing Pope and Kie trying to warn them.

"What the hell are you doing?" JJ asked me.

"Hiding from the cops that are outside the door," I whispered to him angerly.

"You were just going to leave us here?" JJ continued argueing as John B climbed out to join me.

"Just get you ass out here!" John B whisper shouted.

My back was angainst the wall and I was pressing against it as much as possible.

JJ joined me on my side and lightly pressed himself against me. I layed my head against his chest with my eyes closed.

Pope mouthed something up to us that we couldn't make out, so the boys just made wierd hand signals down to them.

John B went to look back into the window to see what was happening but he didn't say anything.

I couldn't see in the window since my face was pressed into JJ, but they must have saw something because JJ whispered, "What the fuck."

I felt my footing slip so I went to move them back in place causing JJ to shift as well.

Something slipped out of his pocket with a loud bang as it hit roof and fell to the ground.

JJ pressed closer to me and I could smell the weed in his breath. One of the cops opened the blinds sharply and dramatically, I honestly felt like laughing.

I pressed my face into JJ's chest to block out the little laughing breaths that were coming out.

When they left the room and JJ helped me down he asked me, "Seriously you were laughing? We could have gone to prison!"

"I'm sorry," I said still laughing. " He was just so dramatic opening the blinds. Like we get it sir, you want to impress your little partner."

We joined Kie and Pope back on the boat.

JJ sat at the front of the boat, JB driving, Pope beside him, and me and Kie beside eachother on the edge.

"Could have warned us sooner," JJ said laughing.

"We would have, except Pope was on the math team," Kie told us.

"You were on the math team?" JJ asked.

"And if you two weren't fighting, then you would have heard me telling you guys to get out the window when I saw them," I told them in a, told-you-so voice.

They ignored me and continued.

"The cops took everything like it was a crime scene," Pope told them.

"Probably cause it was dumb-ass," he rolled his eyes at me before turning to the others.

"Did you guys find anything?"

"Did we find anything? No I don't think do," JJ pulled out the gun and a wad of cash. "Oh, yeah, we did."

"What the hell!" Pope yelled.

"Dude, what?" Kie asked.

"Why would you take that from a crime scene?" Pope asked mad.

JJ stood up and walked over to him, "It's better than the cops having it."

"I'm gonna lose my merit scholarship," Pope complained.

"Hey, hey, hey. Sh, sh, sh. sh. sh. sh, sh. At least you have us right?" JJ asked him.

"Hey Pope how far away is that school?" I asked him.

"I don't know a couple hours mabye," he questioned himself.

"I would take it at least it's a start of getting away from these two pscyho's," I said reffering to JJ and John B.

He blinked at me a couple of times before complaining again, "I'm living a nightmare."

"It was y/n's idea to take the gun," JJ said holding his hands in the air defensivly.

"It was-," JJ cut me of by walking over to me and putting a hand over my mouth dragging me to sit next to him at the front of the boat.

"She meant to shoot me, but held it backwards and shot herself so she's experincing some amnesia. Shh, it's gonna be okay. We will get you the medical attention you despretlly need," he lied. Everyone laughed by me. I just rolled my eyes in annoyance.

-

"Who's that?" me and John B asked.

"It's Scooter Grubbs. He was out during the storm. Check out this pic I got," she showed us a picture. "Dead Bodayy."

I put my head in JJ's chest from where i was sitting disctusted. He was standing on a cooler holding onto the wood exterior above.

He switched his other arm to the wood and wrapped his closest arm around me slightly. I couldn't help but wonder if thats what my dad looked like right now.

I let a single tear escape onto JJ's shirt, which I assumed he felt because he tightened his grip around me.

"What kind of boat did he have?" JJ asked his arm still wrapped around me.

"Somehow, that dirtbag copped a brand-new Grady-White. Everyone's out looking for it," I took my head out of JJ's face to look at the others.

We all shared a 'oh-shit' look.

-

We got back to the Chatue and sat outside on the porch. John B was flipping a glass bottle sitting on the wood rail by the screen, JJ sat on a chair flipping a lighter in my face.

I was sitting sideways in the chair next to JJ's with my feet and legs on his lap, trying to kick the lighter out of his hand, and Kie sat on the couch.

We all sat there pretty much in complete silence except for me and JJ arguing like toddlers, and the other two laughing at us.

That was until Pope burst through the screen door panting, "Okay. So, um... we didn't see anything. We don't know anything. We need to have complete and total amnesia," Pope told us as he burst in sitting next to Kie on the coach.

"I don't know is I turn you guys in-" JJ cut me off by tapping my legs. "What- oh right."

"Actually, Popes right for once," I moved my legs off JJ and he stood up, I moved to sit the right way in my chair.

"See, I agree wiht you sometimes. Deny, deny, deny."

"Turn them all in, turn them all in, turn them all in," I repeated under my breath.

"Guys, we can't keep that money," Kie told us.

"Okay. Not all of us can afford unlimited data plans Kiara," JJ told her.

"We have to pass that off to Lana Grubbs. Otherwise, it's bad karma," Kie told him.

"Or Kie get this. We can turn the three of them in to the cops, and mabye they'll give us a finders fee. And another plus side we won't got, to jail," I said rolling my head over to look at JJ and my brother.

"We aren't turning them in they'll go to jail," Kie told me.

"Your right. We'll just turn in JJ, and John B, that gets rid of the psycopaths, and leaves us with the smart one," I told them. Pope laughed slighty, but John B gave him an annoyed look and he looked at the ground.

"Bad karma to be implicated in a felony too. We gotta go dark," Pope told her.

"If that means we get to keep the money, then I agree," JJ told us.

"I don't agree," me and John B said at the same time, me being serious now.

"What, why?"

"Just think about it. This is Scooter Grubbs we're talking about-," John B started. "-Same dude that's buying individial cigarettes at the Porthole," I finished.

"-shit one time i saw this dude begging for change in the Save-A-Lot parking lot because he needed gas - we're talking about a dirtbag marina rat who's never had more than 40 bucks in his pocket - and all of a sudden he's got Grady-White? - We're just saying." We said back in forth.

"I hate those twin rant things. I swear it's not normal," JJ complained.

We all headed down to the dock because JJ and Pope wanted to fish. Kie, Pope, and John B were still talking about the Scooter Grubbs thing, but me and JJ were standing a ways down.

JJ was propped against the wooden rails fishing, while I stood on the other side hanging off with one arm and leg over the water.

"You know that one saying that goes, 'if my bestfriend ever falls I'm going to laugh and then I'll help them up?" JJ asked me.

"Yeah. Why?"

"When you fall into the water, I'm not going to be helping you up. I'll be the one that pushed you in," he answered.

"Yeah and the reason you won't be helping me up is because you'll be running from me," I threatened.

"What does that mean JJ?!" John B asked from where he was.

"They were straight smugglin'," he answered before going back to arguing with me.

"What if I push you in right now?" he asked faking that he was going to push me in.

"I'd turn you into the police Maybank. I have alot of shit on you," I said jockingly.

"Good point. Fish on!"

-

We went back inside to John B's room, mainly because I got hot and they're all scared of me.

Pope, and I were sitting on JB's bed. Kie on a basket with her feet propped up on the bed, and John B and JJ sitting on two of the window seals.

"For the record, if that is a smuggling ship with illegal contraband on the inside of it, it probably belongs to someone else," Pope rant explained to us.

"Minor details," Kie inturupted.

"They could come looking for it. Taking it would be catastrophically stupid," Pope continued.

JJ leaned forward to take the money Pope had in his hand. He leaned over me in the process, "Get off bro."

He grabbed the money then went back to his place on the window seal. "Right. Well, stupid things have good outcomes all the time," he said fanning out the money.

"All we need to do is figure out a way to get into the cargo hold of that wreck. Until then, we just lay low. Just act normal," JJ continued.

Pope sighed, "Right. And how exactly do we do that?"

"Kegger?"

-

John B and JJ carried the Keg to the beach, while Kie carried the pump, and me and Pope carried bags of red-solo cups.

"Tally-ho," me and JB said captain like.

We set everything up on the beach. They put the pump on the Keg and I opened the bags of cups.

JJ tested the pump by trying to shoot it into John B's mouth, but it went all over his face causing all of us to laugh.

I only drank like two cups, because me and Pope are the 'get away drivers'. Or something like that I wasn't paying attention.

you cant understand the outer banks without understanding the boneyard. its kinda like a three-layer burrito. there's us and our friends, the working-class derelicts from the cut. then, there are the kooks, the rich second-homers. they're mostly from poncy-ass boarding schools, just rich trustfarian posers. our natural enemies. and then, there are the tourons. totally clueless. here for a week on vacation with their families. chum for the sharks. as jb says.

John B was talking to a touron on a tree and me and Kie came up behind him.

"What is she doing here?" Kie asked.

I looked to where her gaze was and saw Sarah Cameron.

sarah cameron is kook princess. kiaras best frined in the ninth grade, worst enemy in the tenth grade. me and john b work on her dads boat, so, you know, i've seen her around. we talk on the boat, and her and rafe sometimes invite to come hangout,. then theres topper her not so pleasant boyfriend. topper actually thinks pogues were bred to mow lawns.

After a while it got dark and I went to hang out around JJ not wanting him to do anything stupid, being drunk and all.

He spotted John B in the crowd and headed over to him, me following.

JJ whistled at him.

"How you doing?" JB asked.

"John B," he yelled. I rolled my eyes at his drunken state.

"What're you doing?" John B asked.

"I got this for you," JJ told my brother handing him a beer. "You want this one?"

"For me? Yeah, I'll take a sip," he said.

"Oh, wait," JJ took the cup back. "Hey, hey. Hey, Sarah! Sarah, can I interest you in a tasty Milaukee beverage?" he asked her.

"No, thanks," Sarah answered.

"Is it not fancy enough for you?" JJ asked.

"No, we were just leaving," she told him.

"Hey, you know what? I'll take it. Thank you man I appreciate it," Topper told JJ reaching out for the cup.

"That's nice, but I didn't ask you," JJ responded.

"JJ stop. Just let it go," I told him.

"If you said pretty please, maybe," he continued ignoring me.

"Oh pretty please? Pretty please?" Topper said.

"So, Sarah. You can have it," he continued.

"She doesn't want it," Topper said hitting the cup out of JJ's hand spilling it all over me, him, and JB.

JJ lunged at him pushing him, Topper coming forward after.

"No, no, no, no," John B protested pulling him back.

"Your so funny man," JJ said laughing.

"Next time listen to you little slut," Topper said towards me. This time I lunged at him but JJ held me back.

I turned around to see John B already running towards him.

He pushed him over and landed on top of him, he out is forearm to Toppers throat pushing down slightly.

"Say that again buddy, yeah one move and your dead," John B said through clinched teeth.

By now the whole boneyard was watching, Kie and Pope made their way over to us.

"I'm sorry, just get off and we'll leave," Topper said.

John B got off and started to head back over to the rest of the group, "Dirty Pogues!" Topper yelled.

This sent JB off again and he turned and lunged back at Topper.

"We're supposed to be incognito, remember?" Pope protested. But I could tell that no one was going to be able to stop him.

"Babe!" Sarah protested over and over.

I went over and stood by Sarah, knowing I may have to jump in at any moment and if I stayed by JJ he would hold me back.

Topper through a punch to which I pulled Sarah away from him. He kicked my brother into the water.

"Sarah what do we do? They're going to kill eachother," I asked.

The boys continued to slash around in the water.

"Hey John B don't make me drown you like you old man alright?" Topper said.

This sent me off, I ran into him jumping onto him back, and he fell down into the water with me just on th eother side of him.

When I got back up Topper came up and pushed me back down.

John B tackled him into the water beside me.

They continued to punch eachother as I began to fell light headed. I reached back and touched my head.

I pulled my hand back and saw blood on it.

"Shit," I muttered.

I saw Sarah still looking at me and she seemed to notice because she ran over to me.

"Holy shit," she whispered.

I fell back down into the water and she sat down beside me. She held my head up over the water, but the others didn't realize. They were focused on three other figures.

Everything had gone quiet so I whispered to Sarah, "Whats happening?"

The last thing I heard hefore I blacked out was Sarah say something about a gun.

-

The nexr morning I woke up with a banging headache.

I didn't realize where I was at first, but when I opened my eyes fully I saw that I was in the Cameron's boat, Sarah and Rafe talking beside me.

"Morning you two," I said sitting up and rubbing my head.

"How's your head feeling?" Rafe asked.

"It's been better," I told him laughing slightly.

"I'm gonna go get you a water from the fridge," Sarah told us leaving the boat.

"Hey I want to appoligize," Rafe said sitting beside me on the bench.

"About?"

"You know how I've been doing, well you know," he said reffering to the drugs. I was the only one he came to for advice, he never followed it though.

"Look. I forgave you the first three time you promised me you would stop. I can't forgive you this time around. Sorry," I said standing up and walking to the outside of the boat.

Sarah handed me the bottle of water and we talked for a while.

"If you ever need anything let me know. Ok?" she asked.

"Yeah. And let me know when you break up with Topper," she laughed.

"I know he's a douch, and I like someone else. But you know my dad won't let me break up with him says he's a good look for me," Sarah groaned.

"Anyway I have to go have dinner, you can stay here until you have an excuse to where you were," she laughed and headed up to her house.

I headed around the boat to look at the view but ran into someone.

"y/n? What the fuck are you doing here?" John B asked.

"I could ask you the same thing shit stack," I said crossing my arms.

"Just wait here."

Sarah came back up right as John B came out.

"Are you stalking us? Plotting your revenge?" Sarah asked him. I laughed slightly.

"Yeah. Why don't you just tell your daddy I blew the bilge on Druthers? Everything's good to go. Just toppin' off these tanks," he lied to her.

"And what y/n, your a Kook now?" he asked me.

"Might as well be we're the ones who bandaged her head last night, and kept her from bleeding out," Sarah told him.

"I wasn't gonna bleed out," I said following my brother.

"Hey, are you ok? 'Cause that eye of yours looks really gnarly," Sarah told him.

"You know what? You can tell Topper he won the first round. I'll get him next time," JB told her.

"So there's just gonna be a reign of terror on this island now?" I asked him.

"You know wars have been started for less, y/n," my brother told me.

I gave Sarah a quick hug before jumping on the boat with my brother.

"Okay. Can we drop the whole Pogues versus Kooks thing? It is really stupid," Sarah told him.

"You know, it's easy to say when you're a Kook," John B told her.

Sarah flipped him off causing me to laugh again.

"Sorry Sarah, looks like both our families are full of bitches," I say laughing.

"Your letting me see your head when we get home," he told me.

"Yeah whatever," I said sitting down in the back of the boat.

-

We picked up Kie, JJ, and Pope and drove back to the sucken boat.

"This is empty. You took empty tanks?" Kie asked exmanining the scuba gear.

"All that trash talk and you couldn't get good tanks?" I asked my brother.

"Shut it, and you still haven't shown me your head," I held my hands up in defense and leaned on Popes shoulder.

"This one's a quarter full. It's enough for one of us," Kie said.

"Love it when a plan comes together," Pope said sarcastlically.

"Does anyone know how to dive?" Kie asked.

"y/n probably does after spending so much time with the Kooks," John B said.

"Well sorry that I was unconsous and they took me to their house so I wouldn't die," I said rolling my eyes.

"What Kooks?" JJ asked.

"No one JJ," I told him sharply.

"Anybody?" Kie asked annoyed at our fight.

"Like JB said, it's kind of a Kook sport," JJ said.

"I... read about it," Pope told us. I rolled my eyes.

"Great Pope read about it, so someone's gonna die," Kie said.

"Look, you put the thing in your mouth and breath. How hard could it be?" JJ asked.

"If you come up too fast, nitrogen gets into your blood, and you get the bends," Pope told him.

"Bends like, bend over?" JJ asked bening over holding onto a pole.

"The bends kill you dipshit," I told him making him snap back up into a standing position.

"I can dive," John B said.

"Yeah, you can dive I'm cool with that," JJ told him. I slapped him on the back of the head for incouraging my brothers death.

"Since when can you dive?" Kie asked John B.

"I'll do it. It's fine," John B told her.

"Or, I could do it. I little deep sea diving never hurt anyone. Unless you've watched that one horror movie with the wierd squid thing that pulled the divers under the water and drowned them," I said. Everyone gave me 'not helping' looks. Except JJ who was smiling at me for some reason. Kind of creeped me out to be honest.

"Yeah, no," Pope said pausing between each word. "Let me do some calculations real quick," he continued.

"That boat's about 30 feet down, right? So it'll take 25 minutes at that depth. Which means you need to make your safety stop at about... ten feet. All right? For two minutes," Pope told John B.

I took my shirt of and jumped into the water. I tied my shirt at about the ten foot mark before swimming back up.

"What was that all about?" Pope asked the rest of the Pogues.

"I don't know, but I liked it. A lot," JJ told Pope.

"Bro that's my sister," John B said discusted.

"Hey I'm sorry I guess you whole family was blessed with the good genes," JJ told him trying to bail his way out.

"Not working," John B told him.

I began to swim back to the boat saying," Hey! I tied my T-shirt to the anchor chain about ten feet down. It's where you need to do your safety stop."

I swam back to the boat as Pope continued to give my brother directions.

JJ helped me on, and Kie sat frustrated at the front of the boat still.

"Zen. Think Zen, you know?" JJ told John B pretending to breath through a mask.

"Yeah. Got it."

"Ok. John B if you die, I'm going to murder you. If you pass out I'm going to shave all your hair off, and if you survive I'm going to bully you for the rest of your life. Choose wisely," I told him walking to the back of the boat beside JJ.

"How... reasurring," he responding going to stand at the front of the boat.

"Hey, if we get caught in the marsh, we're basically screwed, so... better get a move on," Pope told JB.

"Copy that."

Kie walked up to John B and kissed him on the cheek.

I knew JJ liked her so I whispered to him, "You'll get her one day bro."

"What?" he asked.

"Kie. You like her right?"

"No I like someone else," he told me.

"Oh. Nevermind then."

John B jumped in after he and Kie shared a 'diver down'.

"Diver down," he said again once in the water, saluting us with two fingers.

About 60 seconds later I heard cops approaching our boat.

"Shit. JJ," JJ turned around to look at the boat approaching us.

"Guys, that's the police," JJ told us.

"No duh, shithead," I told him rolling my eyes.

"I really don't need you additude right now," he told me walking to the other side of the boat where I was standing.

"Just act frickin' normal," Kie told us flipping her hair out of her face and leaning back at the front of the boat.

The police pulled up beside us and Pope greeted them.

One of them handed Pope the rope. "JJ, tie it off," Pope told him.

"How you kids doing? You know the marsh is closed?" the guy asked us.

We all told him 'no' and JJ asked him, "Why is it closed?"

"Well, we're conducting a search out here. Boat went down," the officer told us. "Seen anything?"

"No," we ll told him. Wow we are horrible liers.

"Where's your friend you always hang out with? He here?" the officer asked us.

"He's working," Kie told him.

"I'm gonna check your little boat out," he told us already getting on.

"You wanna check-- uh, check her out," Pope told him.

The four of us moved to the front of the boat as he thanked us and began looking around the HMS.

John B was deffinetly out of air now. Looks like he's going for the being killed option.

"You got another one of these?" the cop asked us picking up a life jacket.

"Yeah," JJ told him. "It's in the -- in the-"

"-- in the hold," I finished for him.

JJ opened the hold to show the officer the jacket. It seemed to be enough for him.

He began walking to the front of the boat, "Be careful you don't wanna slip," Pope told him.

The officer looked over the side and put on his reflectant sunglasses on. They help you when you fish so you can see through the water even with the glare of the sun.

We all shared worried looks and JJ wrapped his arm around my waist, taking his shirt off, and handing it to me.

I put it on after giving him a strange look.

Eventually the cop gave up and backed away from the front, "All right."

"All right," JJ responded arm still wrapped tightly around my waist.

"Beautidul day isn't it?" he asked us.

"Sure is," JJ answered.

I tried to move to the front of the boat so I could check on JB as soon as possible, but JJ held me back.

What the fuck is this kid doing?

"You let us know, if you see anything on you way out," he told us back on his own boat with the girl he was trying to 'impress' at the motel.

"We'll be gone soon, sir," JJ told him.

"Yes, you will," the sherriff told us driving away.

When they were far enough away I got out of JJ's grasp and leaned over the side of the boat, the rest following.

"He's definetely out of air," Pope told us.

"That's nice Pope," I said sarcastially rolling my eyes.

As I said that John B popped back out of the water.

"There he is!" JJ exclaimed.

"Don't scare us like that!" Pope told him.

"How'd it go down there?" JJ asked.

I made my way to the back of the boat, honestly a little angry.

Not at just John B, but at everyone. Even myself. What were we thinking? Letting him go diving with no lessons.

I saw him throw a black bag on the boat before saying, "Yeah, I ran out of air."

"Hey, guys? Guys, bogey, two o'clock," Kie told us.

When I saw it I stood up and wade my way over to the rest of the group.

"Do you recognize that boat?" Pope asked us.

"I've never seen it," Kie told him.

"What are they doing here? The marsh is closed," I asked.

"I don't know, but let's not stick around to find out," JJ said.

"JJ, get the bowline," me and JB told him.

"Yeah," he said beggining to pull it up.

"Should we wait on 'em?" Pope asked.

"No, we're not gonna wait on 'em," me and John B told him.

"Go get the stern. Go!" we told him.

"Are you joking? JJ, hurry up," Kie told him.

"Guys, don't wait for me. Go," JJ told us.

I went over and helped JJ, then we both got down.

He wrapped his arm around my waist to hold me in place as we pulled out quickly.

"I don't like this," me and JB said.

"Mabye they're fishing," Pope suggested.

"Go into the marsh," Pope told JB.

"Go, go, go, go, go!" JJ said tightening his grip on my side.

"I'm going. Act natural," John B told us heading into the marsh.

"Hey, guys, they're following us," Kie told us.

"This can't be good."

"Dude, you gotta go faster!" JJ told him.

"I'm going!"

"Gun it!"

We continued through the marsh, the two guys still following us.

All that needed to be heard was the first gunshot before JJ pushed me on the ground underneath him.

"Holy shit!"

"John B, get down!" I yelled at my brother who was being forced to continue to steer the boat.

They shot at us again. JJ convering my head in each of his arms, me still underneath him.

"Oh my God! We're gonna die!" Pope yelled a little ways behind me.

Another gunshot. JJ was now completly covering me.

I got and idea. "JJ let me up I need to pull JB down," I told him.

He shook his head but I pushed him off of me. Barely, but still did.

I grabbed the fishing net, going to the back of the boat.

"Get down y/n!" John B yelled at me. Of course I never really listen.

I through the line into the water. The bogey ran over it getting caught in the engine. It came to a stop and everyone slowly stood up.

There was one last shot but was way to far of aim to hit any of us.

We all laughed. "Booyeah! Pogue god, man!" JJ yelled.

-

We got back to the dock at the Chatue to open the bag JB found.

I sat on my knees beside John B. JJ had his hands rested on each of our shoulders, Kie and Pope standing on either side of him.

"What do you guys think it is?" Kie asked.

"Gotta be money right?" Join B asked.

"That or a couple of keys with street value to the low- to mid-mils!" JJ said laughing.

"Can we please just open the bag?" Pope asked harshly.

"Wow, Pope. That's a rare outburst of emotion," me and JB said.

"Okay. You guys are literally killing me with anticipation," Pope continued.

"We, did almost die over this," I said as John B pulled out a metal container.

He struggled ot open it, before finnaly getting it open.

John B turned it over reaviling a compass, not just any compass.

Our fathers compass.

Me and John B stared at it as the others complained behind us about how it wasn't money.

"How did Scooter get this?" I asked my brother. He just shook his head.

"What? It's not worth anything," JJ told us.

"Shut it JJ," I snapped.

"What is it?" Kie asked us.

"This was our father's," we told them.

=================

This is the longest chapter I have ever writen. I am doing these by episode of the Netflix Series 'Outer Banks'

I suggest watching it before reading this book, or it probably won't make any since.

I want the readers and JJ's relstionship to be a slow burn, so it may be a while before anything serious happens. They will flirt alot more often in upcoming chapters.

Nine more chapters to go!!!

word count: 9881

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

206 0 13
In which Holly Gilbert and JJ Maybank fall hopelessly in love with eachother. Holly, a 16 year old english girl who moved to the OBX 5 years ago with...
401 3 16
You, your brother and your group of friends all go on a treasure hunt. But it doesn't go as planned. Read to find out what happens. I do not own any...
135K 3.1K 45
(S3) the one where john b's twin joins the treasure hunt and falls for her best friend - PART 2 OF THE BRIZO SERIES. THIS STORY CONTAINES MATURE & E...