An Unexpected Love

By nmmorton

*Highest Rank #1 in Historical Fiction* Shy and awkward Elizabeth Montgomery doesn't think she'll ever find l... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54

Chapter 47

13.6K 711 73
By nmmorton

Peter raised his hand for the second time to knock on the door leading to Charles Stanton's bed chamber, pausing before his knuckles could make contact with the dark wood. He blew out a hard breath and let his hand fall to his side yet again.

Why was it so hard to face him?

After his conversation with Elizabeth a couple of days ago, Peter had thought over the words she had said repeatedly, finally deciding that she was right, and that he should at least attempt to speak to Charles. Having put it off as long as possible, it was now Sunday, the day before he intended to send for the constable, the day before he would have Charles Stanton removed from Montgomery Plantation, and thus from the lives of his family forever, with the exception of Elizabeth, who would have to decide for herself and the sake of her marriage.

Steeling himself, Peter lifted his hand again. This time he would follow through, it was a necessary evil to subject himself to Charles' company one last time; at least, it was what he had told himself.

His knuckles rapped sharply on the door, perhaps with a little more force than was required. "Charles, it is Peter here. May I have a word?"

From inside the room came the muffled response, "Please enter, Peter."

Peter twisted the knob, shuffling himself into the room, before he could change his mind. Charles was out of bed and sitting in one of the chairs beneath the large window of his room. There were papers spread before him on the side table. One arm was in a sling, but otherwise, he seemed in good health.

Charles looked to where Peter stood, just inside the door, barely in the room. "I am glad that you came, Peter." The two men eyed each other silently for a moment before Charles gestured to the chair on the other side of the small table. "Would you care to have a seat?"

Peter shifted his weight between his two feet, resisting the urge to flee from the stuffy room. He cleared his throat, "I'll stand for now, thank you."

Charles nodded, his gaze resting on the floor.

"I trust that you are well? How is your shoulder coming along?" Peter defaulted to social propriety to fill the awkward silence.

Glancing up at him, Charles nodded, "I'm quite well, thank you. My shoulder is a mite sore yet, but improves with each day."

"Glad to hear it."

Peter realized his voice sounded pinched and rather curt, but he couldn't help himself. As he watched Charles' form and countenance, memories from years before flashed through his mind. And when he thought about the maniacal plotting against his own life which ultimately took his beloved wife, it required all of Peter's self control to stay put and not lunge across the room at Charles' throat.

Keep your wits about you, Peter. No sense in losing your head; it won't solve anything.

"Peter, I know you came asking for a word, but if I may, please let me speak." Charles turned pleading eyes on him, silently asking permission.

Peter considered him for a moment. There was a humble look in his eyes, a genuine meekness in his manner. Curious to know what Charles had to say to him, Peter nodded. "You may."

Charles swallowed before he began. "Since my accident, I have had much time to think about my life, and...well, everything. Peter, I can never thank you enough for your hospitality and, of course, your mercy on me. I am indebted to you for allowing me to remain here during my recovery. It has simply reinforced what at first baffled me about your daughter - her ability to selflessly forgive."

Peter stared at him, not entirely sure as to where this conversation was going. Charles paused and shifted in his chair.

"Peter, no one, the whole world over, has the right to hate me and wish me dead as much as you. I realize that I in no way deserve any amount of kindness from you, yet you have given it."

"Just to be clear," Peter began, "I have not done any of this for you, but for your son, who loves my daughter, and she, him. He is a good-natured and upright young man, no thanks to you."

Charles winced but nodded, "Of this I have no doubt. It is true, the Lord above and his mother deserve all the credit where Edward is concerned. Regardless, it still requires quite a bit of compassion for a man who has been through all that you have to do this, and I thank you for it." He sighed, "Peter, how can I even begin to apologize to you? I thought that I had suffered all these years for how I treated Lydia, and for how her life ended, but what of you? You surely have suffered thrice as much as I have..."

Peter thought for a moment as Charles' voice trailed off. Could he honestly be apologizing to me? This is completely surreal. If he thinks that I have suffered at his hand... I will not give him that satisfaction.

Peter spoke simply, "It took some time for Lydia to recover from your abuse, but she was quite happy with me, and I with her. Especially after our daughters were born, we never gave you a second thought, while I'm sure you must have thought of us quite often as your bitterness steeped. The time I had with her surpasses anything this life could ever give. And while her loss was devastating to me, until two weeks ago, I have lived thinking that she died in a random accident, while you knew the truth all along. Therefore I can only surmise that you, in fact, have been the one to suffer more so than me, and justly so, may I add. While I may have suffered as a result of your actions, you do not ultimately hold power over me, for I have had a blessed life, in spite of the hardships. Even after Lydia's death, I still had our two beautiful daughters in my life, and they have given me much joy." Peter crossed his arms over his chest, feeling somewhat prideful at his little speech.

Charles dropped his gaze down to his lap, sitting quietly for a minute. "As much as your words pain me, I know you are right. In truth, I envy you, Peter, and for more than just having Lydia's love. I know that it must have been terribly difficult to hold on to your property through the war, not to mention managing to keep your farm running in some capacity. The war was hard on all of us, to be sure, but especially so for plantation owners, and I commend you for fighting through it to uphold your legacy. Please forgive me for trying to take advantage of your monetary need; it is true, I have been simply ruthless.

"You have a special relationship with both of your daughters, that is apparent, and here I have wasted much of my critical time as a father already. I am trying to mend with Edward, and I have yet to speak to my son William, but I fear it will be quite a feat to gain any trust with either of them. And your darling Elizabeth has already offered me more kindness than I could deserve in a thousand lifetimes... I beg your forgiveness for the cruel contempt I treated her with.

"So here, I agree with you, Peter, that while I have been the cause of devastation to your family, regardless, you have a much better quality of life than I. No matter how I tried to take that from you... You will always be the better man."

When finally Charles looked up at him, the gleam of unshed tears shone in his eyes. Peter stood frozen, amazed at what he had just heard as well as the sight of the humbled man before him. What could he say in response to that? After everything, Charles was conceding the upper hand to him?

Peter cleared his throat, "I must say, in spite of everything, I'm now glad that you approached me with that nonsensical scheme, Charles. Edward is a fine young man, and I dare say I've never seen my Elizabeth so joyful, as with him. Though you proposed it in wickedness, God has used it for His good plan in the end."

Charles nodded, "For that, I am thankful. It is your Elizabeth who is the unexpected prize, Peter. That darling girl..." Charles choked with emotion, closing his eyes for a moment. When he spoke again it was softly, "I wish things could have been different between us, Peter. For what it's worth, it truly grieves my soul."

Peter ran his hand over his face. He felt so unprepared for this change in Charles. He knew he should rejoice over it, but too fresh were the wounds, the betrayal. Peter knew that someday he truly would be glad for Charles' repentance, but at the moment he only wanted to see justice served, not offer forgiveness. Peter hoped the latter would follow in time.

"Charles, you do, of course, know that I must turn you over to the authorities?"

Charles met his gaze square on. "Yes, I expected so. Peter, I do not blame you; I am fully prepared to accept the consequences of my actions. It is the best way for me to make restitution." He paused before adding, "There is one thing I must ask of you, though."

Peter stood stone still, waiting for the request from his former opponent.

"I wish to contribute in some way toward the celebration of Edward and Elizabeth's engagement." Charles turned and retrieved a slip of paper from the table beside him, holding it out to Peter. "Will you please see that they have an engagement ball? This should be more than enough to fund a substantial party. The plantation is the perfect place, I believe, with its beautiful gardens and all." Charles smiled softly, "You can tell them it is a gift from you; it would mean more to them that way."

Peter stared back at Charles as he held the paper in his outstretched hand.

Lord, what other surprises could You possibly have in store for me this day?

Finally, Peter found the ability to step forward and gingerly take the slip from Charles' grasp. He swallowed, nodding, "I believe I can do that."

Again, Charles looked him in the eye. "Whatever is left over, I ask you to use in some respect for the plantation, whatever you see fit."

Bewildered, Peter looked down at the paper; the amount written there might as well be astronomical, it was more money than he had seen since before the War Between the States. His glance traveled between Charles' face and the slip of paper several times. "Charles, this is..."

Charles shook head, "No, Peter, don't. Please, I will have it no other way."

The two men stared at each other for several moments, much passing between them in the silence. Peter was at a loss for words, absorbed into a menagerie of thoughts and emotions.

"Peter, I do hope that someday you will be able to find it in your heart to forgive me; if not for my sake, for yours."

Peter stood watching Charles, totally, completely amazed. Nodding slowly, Peter said, "Maybe not today, Charles, but perhaps someday soon."

Charles smiled meekly in acknowledgement.

Peter knew one thing for sure, his dear, wise Elizabeth had been right.

--------------

Hi friends!

I hope you have enjoyed this scene between Peter and Charles. Things are looking up for everyone for a change.

I have a thought I would love some feedback on - I've been considering going back and adding in a section from Charles' POV - outlining his thoughts during his change of heart. would that be of interest, or do you all like it just the way it is?

Please let me know what you think! :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

91.4K 2.9K 38
Isabella Montgomery’s life was far from normal. She was the princess of a small Kingdom and was next in line for Queen. When she turned sixteen, some...
1K 176 10
A young man recovering from a serious accident has to find out what happened to his missing sister to discover why he has developed strange powers. ...
77.6K 4.9K 47
07.14.2022- #1 in 1800s 10.05.2020 - #1 in 1800s 12.12.2020 -#1 in blackandwhite 12.29.2020-#1 bwwm 01.05.2021-#1 blackwoman Set in the 1800s, this s...
5.6K 423 30
Book 2 Amelia Hemmings is now an established businesswoman, even though she had only been at it for a few weeks. Word goes far, quickly. She almost i...