The Prince and the Plant Whis...

By ForestPeople

Lucas, campus heartthrob and young CEO, notices an unusual girl holding a mysterious plant. He's intrigued. B... More

Showdown in the Cafeteria
The Name Tag
The Prince
The Plant Whisperer
The Plant (Part I)
The Plant (Part II)
Hit by Eggs
Intro Psychology
Into A Lair
A General Makes Plans for War
A Princess Seeks New Lands
Mysteries on a Rooftop
When Taking a Picture of Him Makes Him Real
Consent
Confession
The Intimacy Experiment (Dinner Guest)
The Intimacy Experiment (Worst Memory)
The Intimacy Experiment (5 Positive Traits)
Early End to the Intimacy Experiment
Crushes and Hate Mail
The Enemy
A Back-Room Deal
Post-Office Showdown
Walk Back
A Dress
A Sad Dream
Dance Gone Awry
Until He Sobers Up
The Stand-Off
The Stand-Off (Another View)
Why He Went // And What He Heard
All Hell Breaks Loose, Dorm Edition
The Intimacy Report
Canceling All Plans!
Hospital Days That Pass in a Haze
Kicked Out by an Eccentric
Back to School (*get ready for the beat drop*)
Rooftop ** !! **
A Hand, Lowering
The Weirdest Reason Ever, That It's Not a Date
Even Tho Yeah It's A Date
A Dinner, Where No One Is Jealous
Evening's End
Roommate Update
Public Debut
Surprises and Threats
teenfic.net = a bunch of copyright infringers
Real Spies and Campus Spies
The Return
Meeting the Guys
So Much Revealing
More Money More Problems

First Days of College

1.1K 21 12
By ForestPeople

[~~~Posted Feb. 18 2021

A/N: So you know the addictiveness of a K-drama or C-drama? Those longing gazes? And how your brain melts down when the leads finally kiss?

the goal here is to make a giant ball of cuteness which starts rolling 50 miles away, gets closer and closer, until it hits us and we all fall down in a gooey, grinning fan-girl (and fan-boy) mess. Anyways—wish me luck! And THANK YOU for reading]

. . * * * * . . . . . .
. . . . * * * * . . . .
. . . . . . * * * * . .

A tall, broad-shouldered guy strides across a campus courtyard. His crisp button-down shirt opens right below his collarbones. In the morning light, his skin seems to glow. His aura's magnetic.

It's the first week of school. From a nearby doorway, a crowd of girls see him and start taking pictures.

Click. Click. Click.

They barely even hide what they're doing.

One girl whispers, "I hear he's going to move off campus soon. Gotta get all our pictures now!"

Brushing the hair from his forehead, Lukas ignores them all.

It's the best strategy for now.

He just walks on. A cold, distant expression on his face.

Feeding the animals just makes them hungrier...

. . * * * * . . . . . .
. . . . * * * * . . . .
. . . . . . * * * * . .

The first day of freshman year..

Someone—a janitor, probably—left a window cracked open in Kaia Regan Bei's new dorm room. With each gust of wind outside, a cedar tree in the courtyard shook and rustled. The smell of autumn was dry and sharp.

Kai fought the urge to do a 1000-meter dash outside and board the next flight home.

WTF! What the heck are you doing here!?

If only the universe could rewind back two years.

That's all she wanted: to go back two years.

She could go back to being just that girl. The girl who couldn't ice-skate.

The weirdo who once bought a whole ice-cream cake from Albertson's, just for the crunchy middle cookie layer.

She could go back to being the girl who made a BTS "Dynamite" dance challenge video with her best friend Beth. Good Lord in heaven, that video.

(It literally got 10,000 views before Kai pulled it from the internet in horror, Beth cackling the whole time: "Stop being so embarrassed about everything, Kai.")

("Beth." Kai said. "We're dancing in frickin' EASTER BUNNY costumes.")

That was two years ago. Now, things were different. Kai wasn't that person anymore.

And now?

Now, everyone at high school thought of Kai as THAT girl. The girl in the local news.

The girl whose parents and friend died in that freak accident on the US 101. 

Let us know if we can do anything to help, they all said. Over and over.

And now she was headed to college. Where no one knew what'd happened

How were you supposed to meet hundreds of new people all day? Acting all chipper and friendly? Avoiding the truth?

. . * * * * . . . . . .

. . . . * * * * . . . .
. . . . . . * * * * . .

Somehow Kai hauled herself across the country, and made it to college.

Yale University.

She knew two things about her roommate. Girl's name was Lilly Zhao and she came from Lawrence, Kansas.

With luck, Lilly Zhao would be a sociopath. A stone-cold psycho, with murder in her eyes.

Because—with a psycho roommate, you had total permission to slink around and stay outta the away. You could keep to yourself. Not have to explain every time your eyes turned red with tears.

Welp. It wasn't looking like Lilly Zhao was a psycho.

That first day of college, Kai found herself staring into the broad grin of a curly-haired, petite girl who said "I'm Lilly!" Then she added: "OK. Time to reveal some key intel: I still sleep...

... holding a stuffed animal!"

Lilly fished a teddy bear out of her sky-blue suitcase. "He's a little beat-up, I know."

Beat-up was an understatement. Dude was a Level 3 Biohazard. A fist-sized cloud of stuffing exploded out of its face like puke

Kai had to laugh. "I brought stuffed animals too!"

She pulled out three stuffed cacti—

Then Lilly learned:

Those weren't Kai's only cacti.

Nope. This was just the beginning.

Kai reached into a paper bag and pulled out ...a REAL cactus.

Kai said, "This is Barry the Cactus. Barry, meet Lilly."

Then she turned pink. 

"Er...  I name my plants," Kai confessed. "And I talk to them. I might as well tell you now, before you hear me talking."

Lilly crawled out from under her desk with her laptop charger. "It's OK!" the petite girl with glasses told Kai. "I talk to myself! We're even."

Then Lilly asked, "Why's he called Barry?"

Kai suddenly remembered her dad's role in naming Barry. Always go with a pun, dad used to say. When in doubt, the answer is a pun.

But Kai just told Lilly, "Because he's a golden barrel cactus. Get it? Barrel, Barry—"

Kai listened to herself talk.

Do you HAVE to expose yourself as SUCH a huge dork? On the first day of college...?

But Lilly grinned: "I think we're going to get along just fine."

* * * * . . . . . .
. . . * * * * . . .
. . . . . . * * * *

Just then a flurry of noise came from the courtyard. Lilly pushed aside their new gauze curtains to check out the scene.

And she inhaled.

Kai put Barry down and went to join Lilly by the window.

In the courtyard, a tall, broad-shouldered guy walked across the path. From a nearby doorway five girls giggled, raising their phones to track his movements. The sunlight gleamed bright in the guy's hair, which fell over his forehead into his eyes.

"Who is that?" Lilly said. "A celebrity?"

Kai squinted. "He's dressed like a student. An upperclassman?" Kai squinted.

"But he's hot enough to be an A-list movie star. Good Fawkin-God. Look at him." Lilly shook her head. "Imagine being him. Or even knowing him!"

"Yeah—" said Kai. "It's gotta get tiring, being stalked like that." She felt, well, a little sorry for him.

Who is he?

What's his deal?

Kai's roommate Lilly was already on her laptop. Scrolling through campus message boards and looking for answers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

🌱🌱🌱🌱🌱

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

168K 3.5K 36
Being in an abusive relationship is hard, but leaving is even harder. I never thought my sweet, charming boyfriend I met freshman year of college wou...
18K 1.2K 22
π™Άπ™»π™Έπ™Όπ™Ώπš‚π™΄ :- His car sputtered to a halt, the engine giving out just as he spotted a girl standing beside a taxi that had stopped in the middle...
107K 3.9K 48
*Mafia romance* He pierced into my soul with his beautiful eyes, his hot breath touching my face. He looked away from me for a moment, towards every...
1.2M 49.1K 64
Jamie is happy with life, he has everything under control and every day is the same, just like he wants it. He is a loner by choice, girlfriends and...