Willful Ignorance (hg fanfic)

By panemgirl

In the ruins of a land once known as North America lies Panem and its shinning capital and twelve outlying di... More

The stories I keep

Power Is For Cowards

114 2 7
By panemgirl

Caden Lachlan:

The two metal clips slip easily into the lock as I try to pick it open. For a second, a sense of regret fills my soul but the image of my starving brother and sister is enough to push that feeling away. After all, I only picked this man because I saw how horrible he is. He hit his wife. He can do without a little bit of food.

"Caden? Caden? What are you doing?" The metal clips clang to the floor and my head whips around looking for the person who said my name. The air leaves my lungs when I see who it is; my brother.

Leaning down to pick up my metal clips, I question him, "Foster, what are you doing here? I told you to stay with Nina." I glance at the man's apartment before sighing and grabbing Foster's arm. "Come on; let us go to our sister."

"I'm sorry, Caden," Foster whispers as we walk down the street. The sun has yet to rise this morning but even when it does the apartments and houses will remain closed. Nobody dares walks around on the day of the reaping. "I-I wanted to help you with whatever you are doing. I-I know you wanted me to stay home, but I wanted to be like you."

Stopping my walk, I kneel down before my brother. "It's all right Foster. No harm done. It is just that today is the reaping, and we all know how there is extra security on this day." His brown eyes go wide and his black hair sticks up in all directions. He looks exactly like I did when I was younger; innocent.

As we get back up to head home Foster's hand intertwines with mine and I smile down at him. He just turned ten a month ago. Two years from now he will be entered into the reaping and Nina will follow six years after that. My only hope is to never let them take out any tesserae. The rest is up to fate.

I feel a tug on my shirt and I look down towards Foster. "Caden," he begins, "What were you doing at that man's apartment?" My entire body becomes numb as though someone injected me with Novocain. A fake laugh falls out of my lips.

"Nothing important," I say, "Foster, remember that I will do anything for you and your sister. I am your older brother and I will always look for you. What I was doing at that man's house was going to be for you. But at last it did not happen so we need not worry. Come on. Open the door. Granny and your sister will be excited to see us." Foster nods his head not questioning me further, and opens the door to our shack of a house. I follow him inside, and immediately spot Nina sitting beside the bed brushing our Granny's hair. Nina's hair is bright read, with little freckles adorning her face. For a four year old, she is wise beyond her ages.

When she spots me, she puts down the comb and runs over tackling me in a hug. "Hello my little fox," I tell her using the nickname our parents gave her, "How is Granny?"

"Asleep," she responds in her adorable little voice, "I told Foster not to follow you but he wouldn't listen." Picking her up in a big hug, I walk her over to the bed that she and Foster share.

Placing her down, I rub my hand over her forehead, "It is all fine. Your brother did nothing wrong," I shoot a pointed look to Foster as I say this and he relaxes a bit climbing into bed, "In a few hours it will be the reaping. Granny has a pardon not to go since she can hardly get out of bed but you two are required. I must stand in the seventeen year old section but Nina, you and Foster must stand with rest of the crowd. Foster, you look out for your sister." He nods his head in response as his sleepy eyes begin to close. I kiss both him and Nina on the forehead, and get up to go lie in my bed for awhile. I won't sleep but I do want to rest.

"Caden," Nina's little voice trickles across the small room and I turn back around to stand beside her.

"Yes?"

"Why do you have to stand in a special section every year?" I put a hand on her forehead, smoothing back her red locks.

"Because every year, a boy and a girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen get to put their names into a bowl and get selected to play a game." Nina's amber eyes look up at me through the dark of the morning.

Her hands reach out and hold onto mine, "A game? Like the ones we play in the alley ways in the district?" I squeeze her hand slightly.

"More or less."

"Wouldn't it be so much fun if you got to play?" Her voice oozes excitement and I scoff.

"Not exactly my choice of words, Nina but I'm sure that someone out there finds it rather enjoyable. Now get some sleep." I walk over to my rags on the floor and pull a thin blanket over me.

"Good night Caden. I love you," Nina calls.

"Night, little fox. I love you too." I curl up in my bed. I do not like sleep. It brings back images of my parent's death. The peacekeeper pointing the gun. Their bodies on the floor. Blood. It is a day I do not like to relive. Instead, I think about this morning. Our food supply is running out. Working at the electrical towers does not pay enough for four people. Perhaps tonight I will get a chance to snatch some more food. Families will be celebrating over their children not getting reaped. There I can make a quick grab. They would hardly notice. Family over morals... Right?

A while after the sun rises, I wake Nina and Foster up. "Come on guys. Have a slice of bread and then put on your best clothes. We need to go to the Town's Square. After, Nina and Foster sleepily munch on their bread, and pull on their nicest outfits, I wake Granny for a moment.

"What's going on," she says jerking awake. I hold onto her hand and she calms down.

"It's me, Caden, Granny. Today is the day of the reaping. We have to go but you are allowed to stay. We'll be home later." She smiles a toothless smile and reaches up to cup my face with her withered hand.

"Oh my boy, It will be okay. Remember, the capital is the opponent. They have all the power because they are cowards. They hide behind it." My eyebrows scrunch together in confusion.

I place my hand upon her forehead to check her temperature. She isn't burning up. "Granny, I haven't been reaped. No need to worry." She nods her head, kisses my hands, and then closes her eyes to sleep.

Nina, Foster, and I make our way into a jam-packed square. I spot the roped off section of seventeen year old boys. "Guys, I need to go check in and then go to my section. You two stay here. Foster, look after your little sister." He salutes me with his boyish grin.

Nina hugs my leg, "Oh Caden, do you think you will get to play the game this year? Do you?" Foster's grin fades.

"Nina, its not-" He begins but I cut him off.

"Foster that's enough. Nothing is going to-"

"Heller!" Nina shouts pushing past through the crowd. Heller? Scooping up Foster in my arms I push against the masses trying to get to her. When I reach her, a girl who I assume is named Heller is giving her a hug.

"Nina, you can't run away like that!" I yell, placing Foster down, "How am I supposed to have Foster watch you when you get away from me?" Nina pulls away from the girl and mumbles an apology and I reply by telling her that I forgive her. After a moment, I look back at the girl.

She places her hand out, "I'm Heller," and I shake it, "You must be Caden. Nina has told me so much." Her blonde hair falls to her waist and her green eyes sparkle with joy.

"How do you know Nina?" I ask staring at the girl in confusion.

"Oh silly me! I met Nina because she would always pick my mother's flowers"

"Nina, did you do this?" I respond sternly but the girl interrupts.

"Oh don't be angry. My mother always has more than enough to spare. Nina is good company. We've practically read about every plant there is and sometimes we like to make tiaras or bracelets or necklaces out of the flowers and make little stories. My mother does not mind." She responds.

Nina tugs on Heller's arm a few times and whispers loudly, "My brother says that one boy and girl gets to be selected for a game. Maybe you and Caden can play." Heller shoots me a look and I send her one of plea before she bends down.

"I'm not very good at playing games and I doubt your brother will want to spend so much time away from you and...Foster, right?" Foster nods his head excited that someone knows his name.

"I guess not," Nina responds and Heller pats her cheek.

"How about you and Foster stay with my parents during the ceremony," she says pointing to a couple, "Say goodbye to your brother and run along now." After Nina and Foster hug me goodbye they run towards Heller's parents.

Turning around I give her a thankful nod. "I was so worried about leaving them alone you have no idea how grateful I am," I tell the girl, Heller.

Heller bites her lip and looks through the crowd towards my sister and brother, "No need to thank me. Nina is wonderful company. She makes me feel so innocent. She thinks the Hunger Games is a fun little game." Heller pauses and her eyes are etched with sadness, "Your sister is gold. Hopefully, she never grows up." I walk along with Heller towards the sign in booth and then towards our roped off sections.

"Well Good luck and 'Happy' Hunger Games," I say sarcastically. Heller laughs.

"And may the odds be ever in your favor," She responds I turn to leave but her voice rings through, "It was nice to meet Caden. Your sister is a true joy to know. Good luck." Before I can respond she makes her way to the sixteen year old section.

A few kids stare silently forwards not daring to speak. A couple boys talk in hushed whispers. Everyone is as nervous as watch with its time ticking down to its last second. A screech fills the air and we jump back in concern before the capital accented voice of Laurette Galloway sounds out. She is covered in a dress adorned with electrical cabals and her hair glows with little twinkling lights attached at the tips.

"Welcome, welcome to the sixty-first Hunger Games. Every year the twelve outlying districts of Panem select one boy and girl to compete to the death against twenty-three other tributes. Let us watch a short film sent to you by the Capital." She grandly gestures towards the screen behind her. I tune it out- I can say those words in my sleep- and instead look for Foster and Nina in the crowd. When I don't find them, I go back to paying attention. "First we will select the girl tribute!" Laurette announces with excitement. I remember Heller wishing me good luck. Please don't be her. Please don't be her. "And the female tribute is..." Laurette slowly reaches her hand into the glass bowl filled with slips with our doom written upon it. The crowd falls silent and you can hear a pin drop. "...Finch Wyatt!"

A small, mousey looking girl cries out as her friends comfort her. She's in the fourteen year old section. Slowly she makes her way towards the stage, the peacekeepers moving aside to let her up. Tears roll down her face and I spot her family in the masses sobbing. Don't let Nina see this, I wish. "Now for the boys," Laurette's annoying voice comes through. Her hand reaches into the bowl and pulls out a white slip. "Caden Lachlan!"

At first I do not comprehend her words. My head whips around unsure and a few guys push me forwards. My feet walk to their own beat as the rest of my body gets left behind. That's my name. She called my name. I'm on the stage without realizing it. My face scans the crowd and finally, I find Nina and Foster. Nina's face holds a smile- she does not understand and Foster stares forward in horror. I want to break down like I tried to break that lock but I stop and pull myself together. After being told to, my hand shakes Finch's and we wave at the crowd. I do not smile at all. I look at Laurette and her Capital dress and makeup. She disgusts me. My grandmother's words echo in my head and I realize that she is right. Power is for cowards, and the capital is the biggest coward of all.

Author's Note:

Okay don't hate me. As you can see from the weeks of me not updating, I'm not entirely dedicated to this story. BUT!!! I will still update! I promise. I really like Caden. It is cool to write as a guy! Uh yeah... There really isn't much for me to say. Umm... I'm sick... That's fun! Umm... I write another story on here called Misfits if you want to check it out. Umm... I love to read my followers' works... you guys are so talented... Umm Oh yeah!!! Now I remember. So I am editing Misfits but I am not updating Misfits on Wattpad. The un-edited version will be the story you guys read. However, I want to show you guys what I am doing. Here it is:

Wylee taps my shoulder, pointing over to a cluster of broken boards and old tires, "Look over there Al'. Do ya see that. Bet'ya I could put a nice little playground together for the youngens. Don't ya think." I stare at the pile of random supplies; broken nails stick up from the boards and are rusted over and sharp pieces of glass liter around.

"What I see," I respond honestly, "is a death trap of filth. Not a playground." Wylee tisks at me in her usual manner turning away from the pile.

"Whatever, Al'. While you see trash. I see a playground. It's like they say, 'the world is up to the beholder' and I like to see the good."

"And I like to see the truth," I counter snarkily. Wylee laughs for awhile after that and doesn't speak again until we're at my street.

Her lips purse in amusement and she finally spills, "Ya know you're so stubborn, girl. But that's why I love ya. Do me a favor though, try to remember that the whole world ain't gonna blow up anytime soon."

A/N So who is Wylee?? Can't tell you but know that I love you guys so much. Stay amazing!!!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 20K 44
What if Aaron Warner's sunshine daughter fell for Kenji Kishimoto's grumpy son? - This fanfic takes place almost 20 years after Believe me. Aaron and...
170K 4.5K 39
" She is my wife, stay away from her!" " Keep trying she will remain mine. " " Show me your scars, I want to see how many times you needed...
584K 8.9K 86
A text story set place in the golden trio era! You are the it girl of Slytherin, the glue holding your deranged friend group together, the girl no...
6.1M 98.9K 104
>「𝘸𝘦𝘭𝘤𝘰𝘮𝘦 𝘣𝘢𝘤𝘬 𝘵𝘰 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘛𝘢𝘪𝘴𝘩𝘰 𝘌𝘳𝘢 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘸𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘮𝘪𝘴𝘴𝘦𝘥 」 𝐒𝐋𝐀𝐘𝐄𝐑 𝐕𝐄𝐑. Demon Slayer belongs to Koyoh...