Theurgy: The Journey's Dawn (...

By ChaosHimself

#1 THEURGY SERIES "I give my life to the Empire, for it is worth giving, and it shall be the weapon of my peo... More

Prologue
PART ONE: Chapter 1 BrokenArrow
Chapter 2 The Enemy Returns
Chapter 3 The Path Paved
Chapter 4 Attacks in the Dark
Chapter 5 Silondras
Chapter 6 Contest of Knights
Chapter 7 The Flaming Serpent
Chapter 8 The Lamia
Chapter 9 The Siren's Bridge
Chapter 10 The Relic and the Hand
Chapter 11 A New Road
Chapter 12 The Fated Choice
Chapter 13 The Night
Chapter 14 Journey Ahead
Chapter 15 Call to Action
Chapter 16 The Quest
Chapter 17 Blessings
Chapter 18 Those Under
Chapter 19 A King's Name
Chapter 20 On A Knife's Edge
Chapter 21 The Plains
Chapter 22 The Manticore
Chapter 23 Nighttime Walkers
Chapter 24 Work of a Bloody Hand
Chapter 25 The Outpost
Chapter 26 The Well
Chapter 27 The Pendant of Death
Chapter 28 The Coming Mist
Chapter 29 The Ferry
Chapter 30 The Harbor
Chapter 31 Imprisoned
Chapter 32 A Resurgence
Chapter 33 The Dragon at Sea
Chapter 34 The Ravens
Chapter 35 Featherless
Chapter 36 The Grandmaster
Chapter 37 Knights and Kings
Chapter 38 Not What They Seem
Chapter 39 Arrive at Hath
Chapter 40 Daggers in Smoke
Chapter 41 Fake Souls
Part 2 Chapter 43 Mount Kryn
Chapter 44 I Am a God
Chapter 45 The Path of Gods
Interlude 1 Avra
Chapter 46 Quiet Waters
Chapter 47 Intentions
Chapter 48 The God's Scar
Chapter 49 The Frozen River
Chapter 50 Battle of Mer'dith
Chapter 51 Not the Same
Chapter 52 Gray's Resolve
Chapter 53 The Camp
Chapter 54 Bygones
Chapter 55 Preparations
Chapter 56 Haven
Chapter 57 The Assault
Chapter 58 The Forge of the Gods
Chapter 59 Homebound
Chapter 60 The Pinnacle
Chapter 61 Sacred Mind
Chapter 62 The Godslayers
Chapter 63 The Right to Rule
Chapter 64 Where the Heart Lives
Chapter 65 The Assault on Silondras
Chapter 66 The Era of Heroes
Epilogue
Characters from Theurgy: The Journey's Dawn

Chapter 42 The Sword and Torch

371 42 1
By ChaosHimself

         "It is hereby stated, under the bind of my pen and seal and my words that carry executive law, that my place as King is a temporary matter. It has come to me that the Colton line is no more. I carry no relatives, no close blood, and no familiarity to entrust the future of my kingdom into. So this will shall be the instructions to carry out of my unwilling abdication upon my death. The net ruler of this great nature shall be born from Hathan royalty, as my mother shares the strongest ties with them. This appointed ruler must be the will of the current queen, with whom trust I have thanks and admiration. I trust her to appoint someone of a suitable role and stature. All that I may be able to request of my advisors and my Paladins is that they serve their new lord with diligence . . ."

James trailed off, reading off his will. It was old; he had comprised it long ago about the same time he posthumous his father's throne. He had written it, knowing that his line may die with him. He had not yet lost his wife and child, that grief would come much later, but he intended his kingdom would prosper even after his death. The Colton line was done. He planned on leaving this crown to a family he knows will be able to care for it. A family who earned his respect a thousand times is evident just by reading who that family was.

He intended to give Wilbur and Celia the crown. Sure, they would have cursed him his death, but they would never reject it. No one could deny a will of a king. More binding than law and more binding than gravity are to all things. It was the power of choice, be it written and spoken. And by applying this will to be accurate, he has made prisoners out of the Opals. He was cruel, but he no longer cared. The Opals had been in hiding for far too long. This country needed them. He needed them to do what needed to be done, to step up and lead them all to safety if he is not there, which he believed he would not be. He didn't know whether this sensation was natural or supernatural, but he knew he had to do this. He hadn't told a soul; no one knew of this decision of his besides himself.

He called for a servant into his work chamber. "Deliver this to the Paladin of Exploration. Instruct her that it is not meant to be open until the 'perfect time'. She will know what that means."

The servant nodded, then carefully took the note from across the desk. The grey-uniformed woman stepped out of the double doors, closing them behind themselves.

It was done, and the decision was made. He was putting a lot of faith in the hands of another, an uncomfortable thought. Never in his life had he felt this powerless, unable to change his surroundings despite what he had on his head. He pushed away from his deck, gathering the last of the approved legislation to be brought to his next meeting with the council this evening. He had time, but he instead catches a bit of sun today before then. Perhaps he will take another walk in the garden. Sitting in the sun always soothed him, and made his thoughts come quickly, the winds coming from the north carrying fresh scents of the mountains and nearby forests with them. He sat the documents into his satchel and took off towards the garden to spend his time. As he stepped out, three sentinels stood at attention, the same position as when he entered. Do these people ever move on their own? He never saw them chat amongst themselves, doing anything besides silently looking ahead, statues. It was curious, though. There were only three.

"I see that one of you is missing," he said. "Where is the fourth."

The sentinels looked between themselves. It was almost as if they could talk without saying a word to one another.

"He did not show up to this shift, my lord," one of the sentinels said in a low, growling voice. "It occurs from time to time."

"Not often, I suppose," James moved on. He can't remember the last time he ever saw less than four around him. But he knows they could be summoned to the Assembly, the academy that trains every sentinel in the seven clans. It was also the most extensive library in the empire, being a hub for devoted scholars to pick up worlds dating back ages. No one knows what goes on inside those walls, not even Lupren, who commands all sentinels. This is good since there is no way to mimic whatever ghastly training that those who become sentinels go through. All that James knows of them is that you can not wish to become a sentinel; all sentinels are orphans and therefore have no familial ties. They trained three specific breeds of warriors; the sentinels themselves made up the bulk. You have the Erevon Military Police, the order of the sentinels, the order of secret mages working for the empire known only as Pastellon. And then there was the Assassins order, the Black Hand. He knows the least of them because he doesn't control them. That section is reserved only for the Black Hand, one of the councilmen he rarely sees outside of meetings named Gideon. The last he saw him was about seven years ago when the trouble started brewing in an outland kingdom called Salenthus. The king wished to seize some territory they took then, while his successor wished not to go to war with Liontari. Nevertheless, the situation was clearly out of the hands of negotiations and in the hands of the Black Hand. He wishes he could use them for other clandestine occasions, but the Black Hand made it clear that it must be a majority vote amongst all of the council, and he doubts they will allow him that power.

He thought about the Black Hand for a moment. He doesn't know where he is, not even where he lives. He is only seen at these meetings and disappears into smoke afterward. He was an outlander, so perhaps his strange, hidden actions made sense, but the point stands. Maybe if he could call an emergency meeting, he could possibly stop him and ask for a simple favor. He doubts it'll work or be appreciated by the council, but it couldn't hurt to try. Perhaps he can figure out this thing that curses his mind with dread and avoid it. Maybe he could prepare. Do something, anything. He can't mobilize an army on hunches and fleeting emotions. He can't rely on the Paladins' senses or those of the council to tell something is wrong. He was trapped in this prison that Fate had placed him in. Only a few options left, either abdicate the throne now or leave the kingdom for now. But how could he justify either action? It revolves around the same cursed problem as before. He might as well walk into the battle with neither shield nor armor.

"You look like you're about to throw yourself into a brick wall."

He threw his gaze up to see Novia and Lupren. Both of the Paladins with a plethora of servants carrying satchels and stacks of paper. It was a curious sight, rarely do they ever go about together unless James orders them to.

"What's all this?" James asked. "Going on a nice stroll to the Assembly in the city."

Lupren gave an exasperated sigh. "If only. But yes, we are headed to the Assembly. I have to check in on some incident recently. A Sentinel did not turn in today and was supposed to protect Olmer on his trip to Aetos. Novia was unfortunately headed the same way."

"Besides, we had a little talk about one of the interesting structures that some of my men disappeared into recently," Novia said. "Apparently, they stumbled upon some ancient tomb. We are unsure yet of what ancient culture constructed it, but now we're organizing a full party to search it."

"I see," James smiled. "I was thinking of grabbing Lupren, actually. I feel rusty not being in any recent battles; I thought perhaps we have a little sparring."

Lupren's eyes suddenly widened, looking at James with a widening grin. "Sparring. James, we haven't sparred in ages. You always shooed me off like some petulant child."

"Because you acted like a petulant child," James told him. "I train with my sentinels or some of the veterans amongst the knight, but I never really felt the push before. I think your blade will do just fine."

James could see a fire ignite within his eyes. For years Lupren ached for a contest between the two. James was reluctant because of the wound he received from the pendant. Every time he held a blade, held anything, the pain would grow suddenly as if he was holding hot metal. But today, he was going to push past that and try to wield it anyway. And not just small drills like he did with his guards, actual combat with someone comparable to his own strength. Lupren wasn't just any Paladin; he trained under his own master and knew many of the same techniques he did. If there was any person who could act as a measure for him, it was this man. He had little option elsewhere. Lupren decided to postpone his meeting at the assembly, which Novia didn't even scold, only shaking her head and moving on with her servants. No doubt they will hear of this later. Together they traveled to the sparring arena, a sand-filled pit with seats on all sides reserved for duels of honor. They are hardly used in times of peace unless a lord acts a little too dishonorable and another wants the chance to humiliate them in public. They didn't expect an audience, nor did they want it. It could become a little dangerous.

Lupren took time in a preparation room. As customary, he and James will come out wearing no armor, only their swords. Also, they must carry their own personal blades, the ones used in their knighting. Lupren walked out in a tight black cotton shirt that stretched across his lean muscular body. He was extremely fit despite his age, and he clearly was training vigorously in his spare time. James was much the same, just broad-shouldered, wearing a less than formal grey shirt and trousers, a sheath buckled at his side. Lupren's blade, a blade made from some special kind of bronze, dangled at his side. The crossguard was shaped into avian wings and molded into a leather grip and wooden eagle-head pommel. James's blade was deceptively simple, a longsword with a plain iron crossguard and pommel. But Lupren didn't underestimate the blade. He eyed the thing with a wide grin, knowing it well.

He began to stretch, going into deep squats and stances in preparations. James did the same.

Lupren sighed, looking up at the sun. "It's about 2 into the morn now. Sure, you can deal with me, James, at this hour. Even at your high time, you had trouble dealing with my light even this powerful."

James chuckled. "Your confidence is as big as ever, Lupren. Careful, you might trip on it and stab yourself."

Lupren gave a wry smile. All of his guards were up in the stance. Both of the preparation rooms were closed and locked now, and they were completely isolated in the arena. The sand shifted under them as they walked to the center and stopped just an arm's length away. They looked directly into each other's eyes. Both wore rings on their middle finger, and they lifted them to meet in the middle. Immediately, in a flash of light, they both were suddenly dawned on an enchanted steel plate. Lupren's was painted black, with streaks of gold mimicking sun rays bursting from his chest. His cauldrons, rising up near his neck to protect it, was rimmed in more of this gold and brandished the symbol over the roaring lion. James's was a more traditional steel plate with silver embellishments and a high collar. A helm with a lion's roaring face as a faceplate was pushed up and out of his eyes. A white cape fluttered behind him as the wind suddenly rose. The aura wafting from the two of them was much like a strong breeze, kicking the sand in a flurry at their feet. They both fell into their stances.

Now was not the time for words. They will now only be communicating through the clash of their swords. Their stances were identical, though Lupren's footing seemed a little looser. They were still so close to one another, almost within each other's reach by now, and swords pointed at each other's chest. James took in steady breathes, fighting the pain he felt in his hands while holding the pain. The cursed throbbed in defiance, but his teeth gritted as he tightened his grip in response. He will not let this curse rule him. He will honor it the only way he knows how by fighting against it.

Lupren moved first, a blindingly fast strike. But James did not respond. Lupren's blade stopped just a few inches from his face, that grin still on his own.

"Hesitation," James taunted, then batted Lupren's blade aside to follow up with a quick attack to his chest. Lupren was thrown off by that, forced to take a leap back and out of reach. James didn't give him room to breathe. He danced his way, keeping Lupren directly in front of him, making close-knitted strikes in quick succession. However, he did not keep Lupren on his toes for long, and soo he began to return a few of his attacks with his own. Both of their blades were alight with zoi, though Lupren glowed more like sunlight rather than a light blue like James's. James prepared for what he might do suddenly, keeping his senses aware.

James backed away at the same time as Lupren. This was a longer duel, though duels amongst knights often lasted longer. If they were regular men, they could expect only five encounters before one faltered and got hurt. Both barely had a scratch on them. Jame's cape had been sliced through from a close call, but that was all. They were nowhere near their limits.

James clutched his blade, the soft blue light turning to jagged edges that churned alongside the blade itself. Lupren immediately dawned a light-footed, defensive stance as he saw what James prepared. The light focused on the edges, collected and stored. It stormed, thrashed, and James used his will alone to keep it there. Then, suddenly, he swung it in the direction of Lupren. The aura followed the curve of this sword, creating an arc of light that shot after Lupren. Dust and sand were thrown about as the attack rattled the arena and threatened to crumble it. The bright light alone was blinding, and he had to avert his eyes as debris flew about. The sentinels braced themselves on halberds as the force struck them like an unsuspecting wind.

When the dust settled, he looked upon where Lupren had stood. The wall was ruined, turned to rubble with a clear gash taken out of the walls. The engineering councilmen will no doubt be very upset about the damage. It wasn't his most powerful attack, but it was definitely hard to counter due to it's speed. But he found that would have been enough. Lupurous was not seen. He let out a slow breath, channeling his aura and using his senses to find Lupren's aura. Then, he looked up. There Lupren was as if standing on a platform in the sky above, floating. His sword still glowed, a slightly different vibrance than before, and his armor allowed small wisps of white energy from its seams.

Lupren whistled. "My my, if I weren't wearing this armor, I'd be a dead man, wouldn't I? That could have honestly killed me, James."

James's blade ignited again with aura. "And I have plenty of it left. So unless you want to become paste under my boot, I suggest you hurry up and retaliate."

Lupren gave him a sly smile, then clutched his blade with both hands. As soon as he took that stance, he knew what was coming. He fell into a much steeper stance, typically meant for more physically demanding attacks. Light blazed from Lupren like a small sun, vanquishing shadows and blending the world beneath him in whiteness. In response to his own attack, Lupren will return in kind. This massive amount of aura, no doubt felt as chills and tingling sensations around the city, ofbegan to cluster at the tip of his sword. James used every ounce of strength he had to secure his bones, his muscles, his spine, and skin. There is no way to block or dodge this attack once it started. Not even attacking him directly will end it. The only thing he could do was a brace for the impact. He knew when Lupren went above that this was his ploy.

Sun's Radiance. Like a tunnel of light, it smashed down on him like a hail of sand was suddenly poured on him multiplied by a thousand. He felt every ligament, every muscle fiber twitch with agitation as they were being pulled every which way. The pain in his arms became nearly unbreakable, and he began to numb. He might even drop his sword. His armor radiated with heat and energy from such an excruciating attack. Even the sand below him suddenly turned liquid and began to shift uneasily as if he had suddenly stumbling into a small lake. But James did not move. He did not fall or submit. He took the full brunt of this attack with everything he had. It took everything, every shred of will in his heart, not to fall. It seemed endless, an endless white void that surrounded and pounded him. If he weren't wearing this armor, he'd be dead. No, if he hadn't used zoi, he'd still be dead. The strength and protection it added was more protection than any set of armor.

Eventually, it stopped. The light subsided, and even though he clenched his eyes shut, he saw little flecks of light dance around in his vision, like he had been staring at he sun. He felt his knees buckle from the impact as he fell to one. The sand was now a pit of lava, spilling into the prep room. The sentinels all took cover behind the arena walls that separated the pit from the onlookers. The walls were merely vaporized, and several stone perches melted as well. If people did attend this duel, they most certainly would have been in danger. James felt as if he had been drawn and quartered, his very bones shaking from the experience. But, he looked up and smiled. And laughed. He laughed because he had withstood it. He laughed because he still held even a sliver of his power over these years. That someone like Lupren had to use such an attack upon him was the funniest thing he ever thought of. Lupren descended as if coming down a set of stairs before James, still laughing to himself. He was breathing heavily but smiled warmly at his friends.

"How's . . . that. . . for . . . a retaliation?"

"It was wonderful," James propped himself on his sword, looking about at all the damage they had done. They may appear tired, but they could honestly go on like this for hours on end. James relished in the thrill of this little duel; it made him feel strangely in control, more focused than he ever did. And for a short time, that sense of dread did not follow him here. It was only replaced by resolve.

"Then I can guess this duel wasn't for simply top practice, huh?" Lupren asked him. James armor was still radiant with heat, so he dispelled it. His skin rippled with the energy that protected him. "You really needed that, didn't you."

"Yes, I did," James clapped him on the shoulder. "I feel like a mere prince again, fighting against a threatening enemy and surrounded at all sides. Yet, I was in power, and I had the upper hand."

"The thrill of battle, eh?" Lupren raised a joking eyebrow. "I thought you steered away from showing up at battles because they were beneath your station. Well, I guess even you need your fix, no matter how long you went into hiatus."

"Is that what all of you call it these days?" James raised an eyebrow.

Together, James and Lupren sat in the middle of the smoldering ring. The sentinels reassumed their posts after taking cover, securing the two monsters as they sat down and drank water from a small water-skin. A few curious onlookers veered into the arena. No doubt, such an attack from both of them would have attracted all of the attention from across the capital. Lupren was a dangerous knight, especially with an attack one cannot dodge that falls from the sky. It was good to sit down and have this conversation simply. It wasn't as relaxing as sitting in the garden and bathing in the sun, but it brought him back, momentarily, to the old days. Back when he still was a prince claiming land in the outlands with his sister. Simpler times and simpler topics. He actually felt like himself, laughing along with an old friend and not hiding behind some mask he took years crafting. It was hard for him to remember that Lupren was a closer friend at one point. Someone, in his youth, who could be confided in and tell some of his most personal secrets. I was unnerving, to him, that he could still sit down and smile, while most of their conversations had an air of formality about them. They talked about the past, of course. Lupren seemed a little more hesitant than James, but once they began to speak of their old training mates, how many still alive, and how many rose through the ranks, and the unfortunate few still serving as glorified servants under the Paladins. However, the conversation took an odd tone when Lupren told James something odd.

"Speaking of lord Darius, he caught an unusual sight outside the northwestern wall a few days ago," Lupren told him.

James cocked his head. "Really? It's damn near winter; one would think most monsters will be in their hibernations this time of the year."

Lupren shrugged. "the man was out hunting with a party when he saw something that spooked the horses. He said it was just some wolf or something, but you how procedures are. I thought it was nothing, so I sent a few policemen and a Thirian out there to see what was going on."

"And ?" James prodded.

"Haven't heard anything back since," Lupren turned to him, eyes far more focused than they had been before. "If it were just the two policemen, I wouldn't have thought it much. But the knight I sent after this creature was of fair skill, so one would have thought that he'd at least know when to report for more forces. But he was dead too. Found the body, but his blade and armor were gone, and there was no physical wound on his person. Could be some specter. . ."

"But why take the armor?" James considered.

"Naturally, I bolstered security and sent scouts out to search for whatever is near Silondras. I must admit, James, I am beginning to see that things are not what they seem. I sense something is off in Silondras."

"You do," James said quietly, though relieved.

"Yes," Lupren looked up towards the sun, shining directly overhead. "It seems like ages ago when I first dawned the title of Paladin. We have been brought to many strange happenings, the standard for the job and all. But nothing quite like this. Perhaps I should hear you on what you think."

"What I think?" James asked himself more than Lupren. "I honestly have no inkling as to what is going on, even inside these walls, old friend. I am a king, yet I feel so ignorant to the dagger that is being driven through my throat."

"Can you not think of any enemy who would be holding that dagger?" Lupren asked.

James contemplated hesitantly. "No. No, I can not think of any at the moment. At least none with the resources to threaten us severely."

"Are you sure about that?"

"Perhaps too sure," he lied. "But just because I am unaware does not mean that danger does not exist. I would like you to restrict travel in and out of Silondras."

"That's quite the regulation to uphold," Lupren considered himself. "See it done, your majesty. I shall speak with my captain and officers to form new rotations on the walls and to verify every soul possible. Anyone not of Empire descent shall be turned away. I'll also place a bit more guards around you if you don't mind, of course."

"For now, I believe this is the best course of action," James clasped both of Lupren's shoulders. "My friend, these are dangerous times for the empire. We have been brought into stability so fragile that the slightest aggression will no doubt leave us to crumble. I thank you greatly for listening to my plea."

"I am your dear old friend after all," Lupren smiled, standing. The thin layer of glass crunched under his feet. "I should be off then. From the look Novia gave u both, I think it best we get back to our business."

James nodded and watched Lupren leave into one of the preparation rooms with a few of the guards. Sensing the conclusion to their discussion, the other sentinels surrounded James as he, too, rose and walked to the exit of the arena. He could barely keep his hand from shaking from the pain, and he felt his entire left side begin to numb, but still, he somehow managed to smile somewhat. He had feared that this curse, this pain from the pendant for misusing it, would scar him to the point he would be incompetent in battle. But he supposes that over the decade of living through this pain, perhaps he has acclimated to it to an extent. He was not at his most capable, but it put a peace within him that he was indeed capable, far more than he would have thought otherwise.

The rest of the day seemed to go past rather slowly compared to the rapid dueling he had just gone through. He took a bath in the springs under the castle, few people out this time of day, so it wasn't much too crowded. The two lords there paid no mind of him besides a greeting, a blessing in their apathy. The water seemed to be the only thing that soothed the pain. He made sure to hide the angry veins of orange that climbed under his skin, keeping it in the thick waters and allowing at least some of the pain to fade. He closed his eyes, sitting on the seat under the water and allowing steam to roll across his face. He felt the ache in his bones ache into nothing and his muscles relaxing at least a little. James didn't feel tired, neither did he wish to fall asleep. He just wanted to keep his mind off of the time for at least this hour. But, when he opened his eyes, he did not find himself in the bath.

He was in an expanse of darkness, a familiar expanse. The air was crisp and cold, while the obsidian ground radiated with heat. He felt as if he was on the skin of a giant crystal beast, the heat having some lively quality to it as he shifted his feet. He was in his king's garments, a purple jacket with golden laces and buttons, a white dress shirt, and a white cape over his shoulder. The crown upon his head, which he usually left in his chambers in its own case. He felt simultaneously weightless and anchored to something far away. And, he wore the pendant around his neck.

He clenched his teeth, "Is this to taunt me? What do you call upon me for gods? Am I not simply a broken relic from a tired era. Are we not to expect the gods to leave us be when we have expended our use?"

He paused for a moment. Silence. Then, a deep rumbling. James felt as his vision stretched off. The horizon seemed to glow in the distance as if the dawn had come, but the sun shone with a lavender color instead. Then, a figure rose out of the horizon, like moving on a platform of some sort. It was massive, he must have guessed, but with perspective, it seemed to be a man that was probably not even twenty paces away. What revealed the true size of this being was the hand that moved over sluggishly, then came towards James. The massive hand, easily the size of the entire city of Silondras. It stopped just short of him. He climbed it, using the rigid fingerprint pattern as footholds and cliffs, using zoi to jump from platform to platform. It took him some time, but once he was on the center of the ring finger, he was then dragged towards the figure shrouded in shadow. The winds alone threatened to blow him off, forcing him to huddle against the hand. But as he drew closer, the figure grew in form. He made at a masculine build, broad-shouldered and stone-faced. White robes that clung to his form, cut off from the waste to leave bare muscular legs. His skin was like bronze, eyes as blue as the azure skies. A thick black beard speckled with white lights fell to his chest.

James knew who this was. Enyalius, the god of war. "Why have you summoned me here. I am no longer a godslayer."

The lips of this man did not move, but words rattled inside of James's mind, pouring into him. "You no longer wield the ancient powers, but you are still a vassal of our council, one who shall seek the stability of this world from the terrors of our predecessors."

"So is it true?" James asked. "Are they returning?"

The face grew stone-like. "Yes. The last kindle of their dark empire has been preserved and relit. The evil that once sought all the powers of this world has now aimed at something far more sinister. And it calls upon a new breed of heroes to challenge them."

"But why?" James looked up desperately. "Why? The godslayers before have always served for life. Give me the power to protect my home. Allow me, please, the ability to vanquish these flames."

"You know that it is not our charge but the will of Fate itself to see who shall garner the pendant," Enyalius's voice grew somewhat testing. "We have no control over who should or shall wield them, and know not why the procedures for the godslayers has changed."

"You created us," James said. "Crafted us to slay your own kind, to protect the mortal world. But I can not fight an enemy I can not see."

The god considered for a brief moment. "Then perhaps you are not the sword, but the torch to be lit."

James furrowed his brow. "What does that mean? The torch?"

"I have come to tell you," Enyalius said. "A dark presence has collected itself in the shadows, and light must be cast on those who seek the old powers to dominate mortality. Such a thing will cause an unbalance that will surely lead to the destruction of the mortal world, if not the universe itself. Theurgy must be reborn. The godslayers must be awakened to answer this threat. Take my words and hear them, seer, you shall be the torch that reveals the enemy."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20.2K 1.8K 53
The kingdom of Oscensi has a dark secret. Buried deep beneath their castle's chambers is a single prison cell. And within is a boy with destruction a...
95 1 57
The old and new gods from Olympus and The Realms of the Yggdrasil betstowed their abilities to the people of the world in hopes of the people to fore...
2K 280 23
Who knew that each side had a secret? Secrets that could change the tides of war in an instant. They played against the balance--the push and pull of...
46.6K 3.2K 52
**Wattys Shortlist 2018** Of Warrior and Crown || Book One Kiva is a general in the Lavri Resistance, dedicated to seeking justice and fighting again...