The Run (SAMPLE)

By AmberLeeH13

{SAMPLE} Rae has been given responsibility from a young age. After her mother's death and her father's abando... More

C h a p t e r O n e
C h a p t e r T w o
C h a p t e r T h r e e
C h a p t e r F o u r
C h a p t e r F i v e
C h a p t e r S i x
C h a p t e r S e v e n
C h a p t e r N i n e
C h a p t e r T e n
C h a p t e r E l e v e n
C h a p t e r T w e l v e
C h a p t e r T h i r t e e n
Where the rest?!?
I Apologize.

C h a p t e r E i g h t

250K 9.3K 1.2K
By AmberLeeH13

© Amber Kalkes 2015

Song: "Pyramid Song" By Radiohead

C h a p t e r E i g h t >

Colton frowns in confusion as he feels her nerves. She hasn’t said a word since they started heading this way and it’s starting to worry him. He’s not sure if she’s nervous because of him or because of the celebrations they’re heading to. Either way he squeezes the hand in his a bit tighter as they walk through the woods.  

Noticing her relax a bit he smiles to himself. He didn’t know it was going to be like this. He wasn’t lying to her before when he didn’t come here for a mate. He didn’t even think fate would come up with a woman who would have the ability to put up with him. Seeing her though, it changed everything.

Despite the obvious reason being how beautiful she is, Colton finds himself drawn to her personality, at least what he’s seen of it so far. Brave, that was the first characteristic he added to the list. Colton has taken part in the run the past two years and never has he seen a captured female actually try to fight her mate off. At first his wolf thought it was exciting but then she snapped at him. That was what brought him out of his hunting mode and back into himself.

The second characteristic he’s been able to figure out is intelligent. She can verbally spar with him on a level that most people he’s been around can’t. She immediately called him out on his shit about the acceptance. In all honesty he just wanted to claim her as soon as he saw her but the hesitance in her eyes told him that the brute approach wasn’t the way to go. He needed to slowly build up to that, earn her trust and eventually the right to mark her.

The final characteristic he’s been able to collect has been the one he finds he likes most about her. Rae Applebee is strong. He can see it in the way she carries herself, the way she speaks and even the weariness in her eyes. Colton has always tried to be an observant kind of guy and being in the position he’s in its served him well. So as he’s watched her he can see it clear as day, his mate is as strong as they come.

The details are obvious lost to him. He doesn’t know why she’s had to be so strong. He doesn’t know why she keeps sneaking looks at him like she’s afraid he’ll disappear. He also doesn’t know why the closer they get to the clearing her hands are shaking.

But he has every intention of finding out.

“Can we take a quick detour?” She asks without looking at him.

“Sure.” Colton agrees with a frown.

Turning direction she leads him towards the east. He catches the faded trail of her scent and when they come up to a tree nearby he can’t stop himself from laughing. Rae crouches down next to a tree before picking up some mud-covered shoes in her hand. He doesn’t have to ask to know those are hers, her blush says it all.

“Okay, we go now.” She says quietly.

“Rae?”

“Yeah?”

“Is there something wrong?”

Her wide brown eyes move to meet his making his heart speed up in his chest. He can feel it the most when she looks him in the eyes, the pull to her nearly overwhelming. Stepping towards her he cups her cheek in his palm, letting his fingers embed themselves in her honey blonde hair. He watches her close her eyes before leaning into his touch making him smile softly at her. He likes this, he decides, he likes that he can give her comfort.

“I…” She trails before letting out a low breath. “I’m a little nervous. My family is going to be at the party and…they can be a bit much. I have a lot about me that may be a bit overwhelming actually and I want to warn you but at the same time I want to keep you with me. I didn’t think I would find you, let alone feel this strongly and its all just…I’m nervous.”

Taking another step closer to her, he kisses the top of her head before wrapping his arms around her. She doesn’t hug him back immediately and if he’s honest he’s surprised with himself. He’s not a naturally affectionate person but it seems so natural that he can’t help himself. Slowly she wraps her arms around him as well and he shivers at the feel of her petite hands on his bare back.

“We’re starting to getting to know each other.” He tells her simply when he’s sure she’s relaxed and listening. “I imagine you have a lot to tell me about yourself just like I have a lot to tell you. Either way you don’t have to worry about me ever leaving you unless you send me away. I accepted you as my mate, Rae and that means there will never be anything that could tempt me away.”

Laying her head against his chest he feels her hair tickle his skin and her arms tighten around him. He lowers his head to inhale her addictive scent, apples oddly enough, that has his mouth watering and his wolf howling in his head. He presses his lips to her forehead as they stand holding each other. The full moon is the only thing giving any light in the woods now and he smiles as he notices how bright her hair looks in its rays.

“Better?” He asks, reluctant to let go but knowing they have to present themselves.

Rae nods her head before looking up at him, “Much better.”

Taking her hand in his again he lifts it to his mouth to kiss her knuckles. “I’m here and just so you remember that I won’t let go of your hand the whole time.”

“Are you going to be this perfect the whole time?” She sighs with amusement in her dark eyes.

Colton laughs, “I don’t know. Most people think I’m a complete dick but I figure I need to pretty up my personality a bit for you.”

“Don’t.” She says with a seriousness that surprises him. “I don’t want you to pretend for me. Just be yourself and I’ll either love it, hate it or like it enough to put aside all the bad parts just to have you stay.”

He smiles softly down at her while brushing some of her hair behind her hair, “I think I can do that.”

“I, on other hand can be a raging bitch from hell and you just have to deal with it with a smile on your face.”

“Deal.” He chuckles. “Now come on, beautiful, we have a celebration to get to.”

She lets out a shaky exhale before nodding. “Okay, lets do this.”

As Colton walks with Rae back toward the Alpha house he can’t help but smile. He really is one lucky son of a bitch.

>< 

Rae bites her lower lip hard as she and Colton come into sight of the Alpha house. The beautiful plantation styled home is decorated for the equinox. The tall white columns are wrapped in lights, along with the trees. Some of the younger pack members are carrying sparklers around and she wonders if she should start letting Poppy and Cassidy come. Though when she sees a young couple practically dry humping she shoots that down quickly.

Looking through the crowds Rae spots her brother Jace’s recognizable head of hair from across the yard. He’s standing with a still solo Graham and Garrett making her heart sink a little. She really wanted at least one of them to find their mate this year, especially Graham. Maybe then he can stop hitting on her all the time.

When Jace’s bright blue eyes land on her she sees them widen. Her face is starting to feel hot and she fights the urge to hide behind some bushes. This urge becomes even stronger when she sees Jace get Graham and Garrett’s attention before pointing in her direction. She rolls her eyes though when she sees Graham choke on his drink making Garrett pat on his back.

“Do you know them?” Colton asks.

Rae’s head snaps up at the near growl in his tone. “Yes. See the redhead? That’s my brother Jace. The tall brunette, that’s my cousin Garrett.”

“And the other male?”

“My friend Graham.”

“He’s glaring at me.”

Rae turns her head to see that Graham is in fact glaring at Colton. Taking a deep sigh she runs the hand not holding his through her hair. “Full disclosure though, Graham has asked me out on occasion and likes to hit on me. We’re just friends though. Not that I have to explain myself but…yeah.”

Colton smiles down at her looking amused, “You’re cute when you’re rambling.”

Bumping his arm with hers she gives him a dirty look, “Shut up.”

“So…the redhead is your brother?”

“Yup.” She nods before clearing her throat. “One of them.”

“One of them?”

“I have another brother.”

“Really? What’s his name?”

She smiles at his interest. “Hudson. He’s fourteen.”

“And this brothers name is Jason?”

“Jace.” She corrects. “He’s sixteen.”

Colton nods, seemingly processing that information. “So its just the three of you then?”

“Not exactly.” She admits with a wince. “I—“

“Rae!”

Rae looks towards the source of the voice to see Cleo walking over. She’s dressed in a red bandage skirt and a threadbare Van Halen t-shirt. Cleo’s long blonde hair is a messy as it hangs loose around her shoulders. Added to the fact that from the lazy smile on Cleo’s face, Rae doesn’t have to be Sherlock Holmes to know she’s drunk.

“Cleo, what do you think you’re doing?” Rae asks, feeling the tension come back so fast she can feel her knuckles crack as they ball into fists.

Cleo stumbles to a stop before her before hugging Rae. Rae wrinkles her nose at the heavy scent of rum on her sister. “I missed you, Rae-Rae!”

“Cleo, you’re drunk.”

Cleo snorts, “Duh. I know. I was there.” Taking a drink from her red solo cup Cleo’s gaze lands on Colton beside her. “Who is this?”

“This is my mate, Colton.”

Cleo immediately spits out her drink and begins to laugh. She cups her mouth as she continues to giggle uncontrollably. “You? You’re mated to my sister? Oh man! You must be in the need for a stick because Rae has one shoved way up her ass.”

“Excuse me?” Colton asks, looking at Cleo with disgust.

“Cleo, please don’t do this now.” Rae begs.

Cleo narrows her eyes at Rae and points a finger at her, “Don’t act like I’m the bad guy here, Rae. We both know what you were like when you were my age. Cody, let me tell you she was a loose cannon. She used to smoke weed and party and kiss boys, she was a regular little rebel!”

“Cleo stop.”

“Then out parents up and died. Suddenly Rae the rebel is Rae the controlling bitch from hell. Everything has to be her way or the high way. That’s why she doesn’t like me you know, she’s jealous that she has to take care of snot nosed kids while I get to live a life. Hear that, Rae? You are peanut butter and jealous!”

Rae shuts her eyes and turns her head away from her sister. She feels her eyes rim with tears but she doesn’t let them fall. Since taking over the family Rae has never let anyone see her cry. Her tears, her worries and her pain are her own cross to bear. That of course doesn’t stop the urge as it slowly builds up inside her.

“Cleo what the fuck do you think you’re doing?” Jace snaps, suddenly by Rae’s side.

“Oh look her guard dog showed up just in time!”

Reaching over Jace grabs Cleo’s arm making her nearly fall to the ground. Picking her up Jace gets her back on her feet before grabbing the cup from her hands and tossing it. Cleo lets out a squawk of anger but Jace doesn’t even acknowledge it.

“Jace, wrangling her isn’t your job.” Rae sighs, removing her hand with effort from Colton’s to help him with Cleo. “I can take her back home.”

“I’m not going anywhere with you.” Cleo spits.

Rae rolls her eyes, “Like you really have any choice right now.”

“This is bullshit, Rae.” Jace growls. “This is your night to be happy and she isn’t going to ruin this.”

“She—“

“I’ll take her home.” Garrett volunteers. “Mom would love to hear about this.”

“Its after the run, Garrett. Cleo isn’t your mom’s problem anymore.”

“You still have tonight right? Let me take her back to my parent’s place and in the morning she can be yours to deal with. Just enjoy tonight, for once just do something for yourself.”

“I…”

“Rae.” Jace says quietly, putting his hand on her shoulder, “Let us handle this.”

Taking a deep breath Rae exhales with a nod. “Okay. Okay, take her to Jojo’s but in the morning…”

“We’ll deal with it then.” Jace assures. “Go back to your mate. Something tells me he has a lot of questions.”

Feeling dread settle in the pit of her stomach Rae nods. “Yeah, I bet he does.”

>< 

Colton watches Rae’s brother tow away the drunken blonde from the yard and out of sight. He doesn’t really know how to respond to anything that just happened. He doesn’t know what to make of it. When he spots Rae walking back over towards him looking incredibly stressed his first instinct is to comfort her.

Meeting her half way he dips his head trying to catch her eye. He wants to see her face, to know she’s okay even if he knows deep down she isn’t. When she doesn’t look up at him willingly he reaches under her chin and lifts her face. His heart breaks a little to see a glossiness to them she’s trying desperately to not let go of.

“Hey, it’s okay.” He soothes, rubbing his thumb over her chin.

She shifts her eyes away. “No it really isn’t.”

“Who was that?”

“My sister.” Rae sighs, kneading her forehead with her fingers. “Cleo is my younger sister. She’s seventeen and apparently can’t hold her liquor.”

Colton smiles a little at her attempt at humor before asking, “Is she all you have for siblings?”

Rae shakes her head. “No.”

“How many more?”

“Two.” She admits quietly. “Two more younger sisters.”

“So…five siblings?”

“Yup.” She nods before letting out a humorless laugh. “You know it sounds way more daunting when you say it out loud like that.”

“How old are they?”

“Poppy is nine and Cassidy is six.”

“And how old are you?”

“Nineteen.”

He frowns. “Then why didn’t you run last year?”

He watches her bite into her lower lip. “I…I got a pass. My parents…I’m the one who takes care of them. Cassidy was barely over five years old and I wasn’t sure that my mate…or I guess you, wouldn’t want me to leave them. I didn’t want to leave her when she was so young, I still don’t but the Alpha…”

“Forced you.” Colton finishes tightly.

“More like convinced me with a threat.”

Colton’s hands curl into fists at this new information. His wolf is snarling in his head at the idea that anyone would dare make his mate do anything. He’s almost thankful for the full moon knowing that if it weren’t hanging in the sky like a safety net, he’d be shifting and going for the Alpha’s throat. His blood-drenched thoughts are cut off though when he feels shocks run up the length of his arm.

Looking down he sees Rea’s hand on his forearm. Her brown eyes are concerned as she looks up at him. “Colton?”

“Sorry.” He mutters dipping his head, “I didn’t scare you did I?”

Shaking her head she answers, “No. Why are you so upset? That’s just how Alpha’s work, Colton. They tell you what to do and you do it, easy as that.”

“Not all Alphas.” He grunts.

Rae lifts a brow at him before snorting, “Really? What kind of Alphas are you hanging around?”

“My father.”

Rae is about to retort when his words seems to sink in. Colton watches her face go from shock to horror to shock again and then finally a blank expression. Chuckling he takes her hand off his forearm to bring it to his lips so he can kiss the knuckles of it. The jolt of his touch seems to bring her out of it as she gapes up at him like she just saw him for the first time.

“Your father is an Alpha?” She squeaks out.

“Yes.”

“So you…”

“Am his Beta currently. I’ll take over once he feels ready to accept my challenge.”

“So you’ll be Alpha?” She asks, swallowing thickly.

“Yes.” He nods stepping closer to her with a smile. “And you will be Alpha female.”

“Holy shit sticks.” She breathes.

 Colton grins down at his mate. Yup, one lucky son of a bitch.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Back by popular demand! I gotta say this was kind of fun to write, especially the last part. Man, was Rae in for a suprise huh? This may seem like a totally cliche move but for me this is new territory. I've never written about a Alpha male before. I've had an Alpha female, an ex-Alpha heir but never an real Alpha. So if your sitting there rolling your eyes going 'so predictiable' just stick with me here. I'm going to put my own spin on Alphas and I really hope it works out well. So wish me luck!

Cleo was on it tonight wasn't she? Don't worry she isn't going to be a bitch the WHOLE time. It's stil early in the story so as much as you hate her right now try to remember she's hurting. 

Reactions? 

VOTE, COMMENT AND FOLLOW :}

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

148 3 16
She ran and ran as fast as her legs could carry her in the dark eerie forest. Something was chasing after her, something huge was chasing her. She co...
115 0 14
Thump. Thump. Thump. Thump. Thats all she could hear as the blood was pumping to her ears heart bursting from her chest. The sound of twigs snapping...
1.3M 42.3K 41
"It was my fault." I stated looking down at my slowly growing clammy hands. He would never forgive me after I told him this. My deepest darkest secre...
816K 25.7K 35
#11 in werewolves "You know I'll never stop running, right?" "I've always loved a good chase" ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••...