Sleep, my sweet, grumpy hero

By MistressErin

Sequel to Comfort Me. Kara is still having trouble sleeping and when Lena has to travel overseas, things beco... More

Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5

chapter 1

649 16 0
By MistressErin

Kara Danvers dropped unceremoniously on her couch, a whole box of fresh donuts held tightly against her chest, her button shirt half open and disheveled, exposing the symbol of the House of El on the superhero suit underneath; a sullen expression plastered on her face.

She sighed heavily and proceeded to decimate the innocent sugary goods inside the box, her frown deepening with each bite.

Lena was gone, away on a business trip to Ireland for a week. It wasn't that long, really, but Kara was so used to being with Lena almost every day for the past two months that she was left feeling anxious and antsy.

It was silly of her, she knew, but she couldn't stop feeling that way. Besides, their conversation over the fact that Kara couldn't visit her in Ireland didn't ease the feeling in her gut, nor did the knowledge that Lena was hiding something from her.

"All ready?" Kara forced a smile on her face as she surveyed the three pieces of luggage, flabbergasted. She would only be gone for a week. What could she possibly need three full bags for?

Kara heard Lena's low chuckle as if reading her mind. The shorter woman hugged her from behind, arms wrapping around her waist, and kissed her between the shoulder blades.

"I'm a Luthor, Kara," Lena said, resting her chin on her shoulder, her voice full of mirth. "Luthor women are not allowed to travel without at least three big pieces of luggage – it's considered heresy. I'm already considered the family's rebel for always taking the minimum required with me."

Kara chuckled and tilted her head, so it would touch Lena's, seeking the comfort she couldn't bring herself to voice.

"I'm going to miss you," Kara whispered, her eyes closed.

Lena sighed and pulled her closer.

"I wish I didn't have to go," Lena whispered back, "but it's important. It's been scheduled for months." Lena kissed her shoulder. "If I don't go now..."

"I understand." Kara forced a smile back up as she turned in her girlfriend's embrace so that she could hug her back. "I could visit you." her voice sounded hopeful, almost questioning.

But Kara read the answer in Lena's eyes before the CEO had a chance to voice it, the pang of disappointment and insecurity hammering in her chest.

"No, Kara, you can't," Lena replied, her voice steady and warm.

"But Lena, I could get there in like 30 minutes and..."

"Sweetheart, you're needed here. The crime rate from both humans and aliens is going through the roof since the invasion, not to mention the increase in anti-alien protests. National City needs you close and available."

Kara knew she would lose this argument the moment Lena touched her face, her green eyes steady and unwavering; a CEO's look that conveyed her position was non-negotiable. Still, she had to try.

"The DEO is based here, Lena. J'onn is here. I--"

"Kara," Lena's other hand joined on the other side of her face, thumbs gently stroking her cheeks, "we can handle being apart for a week, sweetie. It's not the first time."

"Well, technically it is," Kara replied, her pout already in place. "It's the first time since we... Since we started dating."

Lena's eyes softened.  "You're right, it is, but it's only for a few days, and we'll have to get used to this sooner or later because, between my business travels and your escapades to Earth 1, we'll be away from each other a lot." Lena gave her a sweet smile.

"I don't go on escapades to Earth 1..." Kara mumbled under her breath, her eyes cast down.

Lena chuckled. "I know you don't, but you do travel to a different universe for unknown periods of time, and we can't even talk to each other, so I don't even know what's going on with you." Lena never stopped her gentle touching. It was as if she knew it helped calm her. "At least here, on this Earth, we're able to talk daily. We can call each other or text--"

"I know, but..." Kara sighed and pulled Lena into a hug, burying her face on her neck.

"But?" Lena combed the long, blonde hair with her fingers, her voice lowering instantly in deference to Kara's super-hearing since she was so close to her. Lena was so good to her. "What are you not telling me, Kara?"

Kara briefly debated with herself about how much to tell her girlfriend. She didn't want to worry her, especially not when traveling.

"Nothing. I—I just worry about you, that's all. I know the board in the Irish branch is mostly your brother's people, and I worry that they're going to try something against you."

She had a feeling gnawing at her since early that day, and Lena's eyes told her she was not telling her the whole story. Lena was hiding something, and it only made her feel more anxious.

"Oh, sweetie, I'm already counting on that. That's why I'm taking a security team with me, and I'm taking extra precautions." Lena kissed her head gently. "And you are one of those precautions. I have your phone number on speed dial, and so does Jesse, and now I know it only takes you around 30 minutes to get there. Plus," another kiss as she started rubbing her back in soothing circles, "I've allowed Winn to track my phone, so you'll always know where I am."

Kara pulled her closer, not yet reassured. "You should get Winn's number on speed dial too. And Alex's!"

"Already done, sweetie." Lena softened her voice, even more, knowing Kara could hear her perfectly. "There's nothing that can keep me away from you, Kara Zor-El. Please believe me."

Kara was silent for a while. She was needy, she knew, but right now, she really didn't care. "Promise?" she whispered, her eyes closed.

"I promise," Lena vowed, her soothing touch never stopping.

"Can you build a device that allows us to talk when I'm on Earth 1?" Kara asked, her eyes opening suddenly.

Lena chuckled. "Already working on it," she admitted.

"Really?" Kara pulled away just enough, so she could look at her amazing girlfriend.

Lena nodded with a smile, a blush slowly creeping up on her. "I, hum... I started working on it right after you told me about the multiverse and your rescue missions."

Kara gave her best, sunny smile. "You're truly remarkable, do you know that? I'm so lucky to have found you."

Lena's blush deepened. "The feeling's mutual."

"Thank Rao for that."

Kara angled her head just so and kissed her girlfriend.

So now, here she was alone in her apartment, with only a box of donuts and her dark thoughts to keep her company. She sighed, defeated, half a donut almost forgotten in her hand.

What was she supposed to do? For a change, National City had a respite on crime for the past two days, so Supergirl was not needed; there were no major articles for her to work on, and Lena was still airborne.

She was bored.

The sound of a key turning and unlocking her door made her half turn on her couch to look behind her. Her frown deepened, and she let out an aggravated sigh as she slumped back down on the couch. She knew why Alex was there, and she had no hope of getting any sympathy from her sister.

Alex let herself in, quietly hanging her coat on the hanger nearby. She walked over to the couch and rolled her eyes at her little sister's dejected demeanor. The most powerful woman in the world was acting like an abandoned puppy because her girlfriend was going away for a week. Not that she didn't understand the feeling, but Lena had only been gone a few hours ago.

Silently, Alex peeked at the half-full box and selected a chocolate donut, ignoring her sister's outraged glare. Alex patted her sister's legs, so she would make room for her and let herself flop down before Kara had a chance to move.

"Rude..."

Alex looked at her from the corner of her eyes, unfazed. "You're sulking," she accused, taking a bite of her donut.

"Pfff... Am not!" Kara took another bite of her donut, her frown more pronounced.

"Of course you are, and you're taking it out on these poor donuts."

Kara narrowed her eyes at her older sister. "I have to keep up my calories..." she mumbled in a poor attempt to an excuse.

Alex snorted. "Right." She kept nibbling on her treat. "You are so wiped for Lena Luthor. It's only been a month since you've started dating and you're already addicted to her."

Kara shot her an indignant glare. "Excuse me, it's been almost seven weeks!"

"You're counting?" Alex mock slapped her forehead. "Why am I surprised at this? You keep track of everything."

"I do not!"

"Yes, you do. Not on purpose, but you do." Alex smirked at her sister. "I noticed you didn't refute being addicted to Lena Luthor."

Kara blushed fiercely, and Alex let out an evil chuckle. This was too good to pass. "I like Lena," Kara mumbled, "and I like spending time with her. Nothing wrong with that."

"So, I've noticed. You've hardly been around these past weeks."

Kara eyed her sister, her eyes suddenly worried. Had she been neglecting her sister in her need to spend as much time as possible with Lena?

"Is that your way of telling me that you miss me?" Kara asked with a smug smirk. She decided playfulness was the best course of action to determine if her sister was mad at her without having to ask outright.

Alex gave her a genuine smile. "Maybe I am," Alex replied softly, "maybe we both haven't been around each other much lately."

Now Kara felt guilty. "Are you mad at me?" she asked in a small, remorseful voice, her eyes wide and round.

Alex chuckled. "Of course not, Kara." Alex patted her leg gently. "The past weeks have been hectic for all of us. We've been working nonstop and still have to find time for ourselves and our girlfriends." Alex paused for a moment, considering. "We should be grateful that they love us so much; they're willing to put up with our crazy work schedules."

"Thank Rao for that!"

Alex agreed with a nod. "So, back to you being wiped and addicted to Lena Luthor."

Kara groaned and covered her eyes, and Alex laughed. "I'm not wiped! Or addicted to Lena!"

"It's been less than three hours since she left, and you're already moping."

"I'm not moping!" Kara whined. "I'm... worried."

Alex's eyebrows went up to her head in surprise. "Worried? About?"

Kara fidgeted with the box's cover, not meeting her sister's eyes. "It's just a feeling, but... There's something Lena is not telling me. I know when she's hiding something from me. Especially when it's something she thinks I probably won't like."

Alex blinked at her sister. "Like what? Do you think Lena is up to no good?"

"No! Come on, Alex, I thought you were past that!"

There was a tinge of anger in Kara's voice that made Alex stop breathing for a second. Her sister had always been a fierce defender of Lena Luthor, but now that they were dating, there was no stopping her.

"I am, Kara, I swear it. I wasn't thrilled when I realized the both of you had feelings for each other, but she kinda grew on me, and I have to admit, I do like her." Alex stopped for a moment, making eye contact with her sister to convey her feelings. "She's proved herself to the world as far as I'm concerned, and she makes you happy, Kar; happy like I've never seen you before, and I know how much she truly cares for you."

That seemed to mollify Kara, and she allowed a sheepish smile towards her sister. "Sorry... I'm just so used to everyone always thinking the worst of her that I..."

"Want to smack away and ask questions after?" Alex supplied with a smirk.

Kara chuckled and scratched behind her ear, a blush gracing her face. "Something like that, yes. I'm very protective of her."

"I know." Alex offered her a smile. "You know, it's probably nothing. You're just bummed that she's gone to the other side of the world for a few days."

"Maybe, but..."

"But?"

Kara shook her head. "Never mind, you're probably right."

"So, you're not moping?"

Kara rolled her eyes. Sometimes Alex was like a dog with a bone! "You would feel the same way if Maggie went away for a week."

"You seem to forget that a few months ago, Maggie went undercover for almost a month, and I had no way of talking to her or knowing how she was faring, and I kept my cool."

Truth be told, she had a way of communicating with Maggie and monitoring her every move since it was a joint operation between the DEO and NCPD, but she was not about to let her sister in on her little secret.

Kara shot her a dirty look, slowly pulling the box of donuts closer to herself, in a silent threat.

Alex lifted both hands in mock surrender. She knew her sister was grumpy and bored and needed a distraction, and she wanted another donut.

Kara gave her a skeptical look, not convinced with the quick surrender. Alex never backed down unless she had something up her sleeve.

"As you know, it's a long flight from here to Dublin. It will take her at least seven more hours before she can check in with you."

Kara narrowed her eyes again, her lips pursed, silently warning her. Alex lifted a placating hand.

"I don't want you to stay here all day, waiting all alone on that call, so I have a suggestion."

Kara took another donut from the box, her lips still very much pursed. She was not happy, and she was not in the mood to socialize. She kept wondering why Lena had no Wi-Fi on her private jet! She was like, the alpha nerd! They could be texting each other right now! She would have to talk to her about it when she returned from Dublin.

"I'm listening," she replied grumpily, and Alex had to resist the urge to roll her eyes.

"General Lane has a new exoskeleton that he wants to test, and he brought it to our desert base. How about it?"

Kara gave her sister a pointed look. "You seem to forget what happened the last time I tested one of his toys. It was obliterated, and I solar flared."

Alex winced at the memory. The general would have an alien cow if another of his toys got wrecked at the hands of Supergirl. Still, this one was different: a soldier would be operating inside the exoskeleton, and Kara would never do anything to hurt a human.

"Yeah, I remember, but this is different. It's a military suit, and a human will be operating it. He said he wanted to pit the DEO's best agent against it. You're our best agent." Alex gave her best-winning smile. It helped a lot that the General didn't consider Supergirl a DEO's agent. "What do you say? Wanna kick the General's mini Arnold's ass?"

Kara snorted at that. His prized soldiers did look like mini Arnolds. "I don't know, Alex. What if I hurt someone? What if I break the gear? I'm already on the General's hit list; I don't want to make things worse." Another dejected bite. She really didn't want to socialize, even if it was to punch away an exoskeleton. "And I'm not really in the mood."

Alex nodded, crossing her arms as she peeked inside the box: no more donuts, darn it! "Well, there goes our bet, then."

Kara frowned. "What bet?"

"Winn and I bet against the mini Arnolds that you could beat their top-notch armor."

That caught Kara's attention. She knew how much the DEO agents loved to bet, particularly against the militaries. "What did you bet?"

"Whoever wins has first choice rights for joined exercises for a year and bragging rights."

"That's it?" she knew the first choice for tactics exercises was a big deal for them, and Rao, did they love to brag, but it just wasn't appealing to her. However, she would do it just to help her sister, even if her heart wasn't in it.

Alex gave her a wicked smile. "If we win, they have to buy you all the pot-stickers you can eat every time they come to NC - for a year."

Kara stopped chewing, her eyes deadly serious. "All the pot-stickers I can eat? For a year?"

Alex nodded. "They're pretty sure of themselves. They've been gloating all day because you haven't been around. They think you chickened out."

Kara nearly choked. "Chickened out?! I'm Supergirl, and I don't chicken out!" Kara shifted to a sitting position, a determined look on her face. "Do you want a ride?"

Alex shook her head, amused, her phone already in her hand to text Winn the good news. "Nope! I brought the car. Meet you there in 40 minutes?"

"I'll be there in five," Kara grumbled, stomping into her room.

She knew what Alex was up to. The bet, the fight, it was all irrelevant. Her sweet, older sister was trying to distract her from Lena's flight and, at the same time, making sure she had a way to vent her frustration.

Her sister was the best, even if she sometimes annoyed the hell out of her.

##

Alex watched her sister disappear inside her room, her eyes full of gentle affection, and so very glad they had reinforced the floor with unique tiles developed at the DEO's labs, a resistant mix of concrete and titanium, that allowed Supergirl to land safely in her apartment without having to replace tiles every week.

She hurried to text Winn before leaving the apartment, so he could start on the side pool, the one that would grant them the hefty amount that would help pay for a two-week vacation in Europe with her girlfriend.

Once she was in her car, away from Kara's observing eyes and apparent newly developed, super 6th sense, she grabbed her phone and hurried a text. She disposed of the phone on the passenger's seat with an aggravated sigh and started the car.

Her sister was supposed to be oblivious to the subtleties around her. When had that changed? It wasn't the first time she had to keep things from Kara, and it wouldn't be the last either, but that didn't mean she had to like it.

She hated keeping secrets from her baby sister, even if it was for her own safety.
##

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2K 71 10
Lena Luthor never realised how lonely she was until he Danvers sisters arrived in the remote Irish village of Luthorsport under mysterious circumstan...
301K 11.3K 17
Peter refused to let May take on a third job to stabilize their increasingly tight finances. Instead, Peter is determined to handle school, friends...
3.9K 124 5
National City is basically under siege, with consecutive attacks from both aliens and humans and the DEO and Supergirl are exhausted. Kara is having...
114K 2.3K 31
||SEQUEL IS PUBLISHED:BROKEN HEARTS|| What if when Supergirl saved Lena from Cadmus a tiny bit of kryptonite gas managed to make it's way into her lu...