Chapter 2

Somewhere over the Atlantic...

Lena pushed the stack of reports away and rubbed her tired eyes while setting her glasses aside. She was up since 5 am, her flight scheduled for an early start because it would take them around ten hours to fly to Dublin.

She was excited to go back. Dublin had been her home for almost half her life, and she missed the simplicity of the Irish, even if the weather was still quite unpredictable, unlike National City, where it was mostly sunny and warm year-round.

Mostly like Kara. Lena sighed and looked out the window, the clear, blue sky blurred on her unfocused eyes. A slow smile came unbidden to her lips as she thought of her bubbly girlfriend. Her girlfriend. How long had it been since she'd had a girlfriend, since she'd had any lasting relationship for that matter?

Jack had been her last attempt at a serious relationship. She had loved him, and his death still weighed heavily on her heart, but the truth was, she had never really allowed herself to fully let go with him, or anyone else; never really allowed anyone inside, until Kara. Kara had the power to destroy her and she briefly wondered if the Kryptonian was aware of that.

This was all still new to her, this deep sense of belonging; the feeling of being freely loved and having friends who truly cared for her, and, who knew, one day, maybe even having a real, loving family. It was all new and scary and exciting, and it was all because of Kara Danvers.

Lena closed her eyes and allowed the memories from early that day to resurface.

Lena watched, amused as Kara insisted on scanning her private jet once more, before takeoff. It was endearing, really, the way Kara looked out for her, cared for her.

"All clear?" Lena asked with a smile.

Kara pushed her glasses up her nose and gave her a warm smile. " Yes, all clear." The blonde fiddled with her glasses. "Thank you for indulging me."

Lena moved closer to her, craving her warmth, her presence, and placed a hand flat on her chest, over her heart. "I have to admit it does make me feel a lot safer now that you've scanned the plane."

Kara gave her a winning smile. "Anything for you, Lena, you know that."

Lena leaned closer and kissed her softly, deepening the kiss when she felt Kara melt into her. This was going to be complicated. They'd been apart already, but they never really had to say goodbye before.

She felt Kara's hand on the back of her head, the alien's long fingers twinning with her hair, slightly brushing her sensitive scalp. Lena pressed her body against Kara's, her hands slowly tracking up her torso, underneath her cardigans, stopping just under her breasts. Kara's breathing was ragged as Lena pulled away, just enough to look into glazed and unfocused blue eyes. It was a nice feeling, knowing she could make Supergirl breathless with one only one kiss when the woman hardly even broke a sweat in a fight.

Kara dropped her forehead against Lena's, her eyes closing, her breathing still slightly uneven. "I really don't want you to go..." she whispered.

"I know, sweetheart, I know..." Lena said just as softly, her hands touching both sides of Kara's face in a gentle caress. She knew Kara loved it when she did it, particularly if she kissed her like she was about to, just a brush of lips, a ghost of a touch. She knew Kara thought it to be a very intimate touch, and Lena had to admit, the sigh of longing that always left Kara's parted lips left her wanting more, so much more. "I'll be back before you know it."